HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Gretzky was still our coach what would our record be?

Old
12-05-2009, 03:53 PM
CoyotesJetsFan

vCash: 500
If Gretzky was still our coach what would our record be?

I've never thought Gretzky was getting the most out of our players over the last 2-3 years. Seems like Tippett is asking and getting it from most of the lineup. What do you think the current roster would have looked like with Gretzky and what would our record be?

My thoughts: we would have 2-3 of the rookies up from San Antonio (Turris/Porter)
No Lang or Bissonnette. Our record would be more like 10-17-1 and in 15th place in the west. There is no way Gretzky's "system" would have survived the injuries to Jove, Sauer and Z.

DJ

CoyotesJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 790
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesJetsFan View Post
I've never thought Gretzky was getting the most out of our players over the last 2-3 years. Seems like Tippett is asking and getting it from most of the lineup. What do you think the current roster would have looked like with Gretzky and what would our record be?

My thoughts: we would have 2-3 of the rookies up from San Antonio (Turris/Porter)
No Lang or Bissonnette. Our record would be more like 10-17-1 and in 15th place in the west. There is no way Gretzky's "system" would have survived the injuries to Jove, Sauer and Z.

DJ
no offense, but this is a pretty useless thread, and since that is the case, the coyotes record would be 7.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
zz

Can we just move on already? Haven't the thousands of rants about Gretzky over the past year been enough?

And by the way, the answer is: I don't know, you don't know, and neither do Tippett nor Gretzky.
All we know is Vernon Fiddler will go to 11.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
MP

I don't think we'd be seeing any more goals than we are right now, and we wouldn't have the benefit of Tippett's strong defensive system to compensate. I think you made another good point in saying that Tippett seems to be getting more out of his players than Gretzky did. There seem to be fewer guys taking the night off out there--fewer passengers.

I don't see this as a useless thread necessarily. Tippett's received a lot of credit for helping turn the team around, and I just see this as a chance to think about what kind of job he's done with the team. Comparisons seem bound to arise in the season following a coaching change, regardless of who the ex-coach may be.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Can we just move on already? Haven't the thousands of rants about Gretzky over the past year been enough?
I was going to post a guess. However, after reading this, I totally agree. Time to move on.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

And by the way, the answer is: I don't know, you don't know, and neither do Tippett nor Gretzky.
All we know is Vernon Fiddler will go to 11.

Discussing Tippett and/or his system may be very interesting but guessing where the team would be, what the roster would look like under Gretzky etc. seems entirely useless.

Time to move on.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
LT

I agree...I think Tippett is getting more out of this team than Gretz possibly but to say that more young players would be playing with the Coyotes or that we wouldn't have Lang or Bis is pointing the finger in the wrong direction. That's the GM's job to move players around. System wise I think the players have a better understanding of where they need to be positionally so yes we are better.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote