HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Adam Mair clears waivers, NOT sent to Portland

Old
11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
How many guys are taking up vet spots in Portland?
Cowan, McCormick, Mancari, DiPenta, Larsen, Wanvig. Larsen's on the IR and of course it could be either of McCormick or Cowan coming back up -- possible but not definite. I don't know how much longer Larsen is going to be out.

11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Assign. They arent that evil, they'll let him play. Though that probably means Benson will be released from Portland if Mair starts playing. No more need for another heavyweight. Though I wouldnt classify Mair as a heavyweight.
I'd keep the knucklechucker. Mair isn't going to be tangling with guys outside his weightclass much any more. No need.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Drew Miller got waived in Tampa. Anyone think Darcy picks him up for some family bonding? (I doubt it)

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:02 PM
joshjull

I'm assuming if Mair gets sent down thats it for him as a Sabre.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Megaera

According to the Buffalo News blog he's staying in Buffalo for the time being. It seems like they were just hoping he'd get picked up somewhere where he would play and didn't have any particular plans beyond that...

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
thanks guys for the info well hopefully he is traded than but what for something similar eh?

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
How are the Sens doing on cap space?
Mair and Neal on the same team?

*head explodes*

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Mair and Neal on the same team?

*head explodes*
Heatley is no longer there though...(yeah I know Mair apologized to him and everything, but still).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Heatley is no longer there though...(yeah I know Mair apologized to him and everything, but still).
Neal is the guy Mair left the bench to fight when he was in LA and got the 10 game suspension. Neal is the guy who Mair was fighting when he got the "Helmets of Fury" nickname (and the Face of Tin one too) and was suspended. Add in the lockerroom hallway confrontation with Joke-o Ruutu after the kick to Mair's bad leg... there is no way he'd go there.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Claims of insider info... not allowed.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:06 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Neal is the guy Mair left the bench to fight when he was in LA and got the 10 game suspension. Neal is the guy who Mair was fighting when he got the "Helmets of Fury" nickname (and the Face of Tin one too) and was suspended. Add in the lockerroom hallway confrontation with Joke-o Ruutu after the kick to Mair's bad leg... there is no way he'd go there.
What's Mair got against James Neal?!

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
What's Mair got against James Neal?!
True enough. Neil. Neal. Gap-toothed piece of ****. It's all the same.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
According to the Buffalo News blog he's staying in Buffalo for the time being. It seems like they were just hoping he'd get picked up somewhere where he would play and didn't have any particular plans beyond that...
Evidently the Sabres don't want to get rid of Mair badly enough to pay half his salary by losing him via recall waivers. I remember Regier saying he's philosophically opposed to that kind of thing. But if push comes to shove and the Sabres really need the roster spot for another move, I expect Mair to be sent down. It's not that much money and Golisano is apparently freely spending his NY tax savings on the team.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Chain mentioned my all time favorite Mair fight:

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy View Post
You are right, it hasn't worked in Buffalo since 2005-06 and I believe its because of the changes made after that season. Buffalo lost its leadership and a ton of offense. Connolly was (likely still is) a hit or a miss health wise in 2006-07 & 2007-08.

The team needed time to adjust and recreate the identity we see today. It was only a matter of time and maturity before things started to click again.
What changed was the league not just the Sabres talent level. It became more physical with size and toughness beginning to matter more. Goals were getting scored more frequently in and around the net, the so called dirty areas. You seem to have forgotten how un-physical the league was in 05-06. Another change that occured were teams adapting to the rules and getting better at defending within the parameters of the post lockout rules adjustments.

----------
I've always tried to figure out the logic behind the 3 offensive line crowd.

-What team has won anything since the Canes in 05-06 with 3 scoring lines? When I say scoring lines I mean 3 offensive lines.

It wasn't the Ducks. It wasn't the Wings. They had 3 lines that can score but their top 6 was filled with very good two way players, equally good at both in some cases. The top two lines were centered by the best two way centers in the game (Datsyuk/Zetterberg). So they got the offense without sacrificing the defense. It wasn't the Pens. They didn't even have two effective scoring lines until they traded for Kuntiz and Guerin.

-When we were the highest scoring team in the NHL we did it with two scoring lines not 3. Hecht/Briere/Pommer and Vanek/Roy/Max then Stafford.

Quote:
To answer the 2nd part of your question the perfect player was not available as a UFA but I think Mike Knuble would have been a better fit offensively for that line vs. Grier. There is not a player in Portland who can provide the spark that line needs. The closest thing the Sabres have to a Milan Lucic type player is Zack Kassian
Mike Knuble is a top 6 player and is making 2.8mil. It wouldn't make much sense to sign him to play on the 3rd line. Not to mention the fact in the summer before camp (hell before the season started) this line didn't exist. So how could they have gone out and signed the perfect winger for a line that didn't come into being until after the top 6, with Kennedy in it, couldn't get anything going in the first few games?

Don't get me wrong singing Knuble wouldn't have been a bad idea. But as a replacement for Stafford in the top 6 thus moving Stafford (and his offense) down into the bottom 6.

But I have to ask why you're focusing on Grier. Our offense is struggling because our top 6 isn't clicking and neither is our PP. How exaclty does Grier playing RW on the 3rd line have any bearing on either of those things?

Last edited by joshjull: 11-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

True enough. Neil. Neal. Gap-toothed piece of ****. It's all the same.
Win.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote