HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giguere to Toronto for Toskala

Old
11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
dybbuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
If Giggy is traded, does Pogge get called up and improve that draft pick we are waiting to get for him?
Only if he gets off the pine.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Larcos_Unal

We already have a mentor, his name is Allaire and he doesn't cost $6 million. What a retarded idea.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Isn't there two years after this one for Giggy?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Isn't there two years after this one for Giggy?
Nope. He's paid 6 mill this year, 7 mill next year, cap-hit of 6 against us though.

Deal doesn't make much, if any, sense to me. Not with Gusto looking better and better each game.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
I honestly think this is completely contrived. We have cap space, Giggy has ties to Allaire and Burke and Hiller is the man there now. It makes itself up really because it's actually believable.
People have been making up Giggy rumours along with a dozen other Anaheim players the second Burke got here. Take a supposed weak player on the Leafs roster, find the counterpart on the Anaheim roster. Insert Rumour.

It's as much BS now as it was last year.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Nope. He's paid 6 mill this year, 7 mill next year, cap-hit of 6 against us though.

Deal doesn't make much, if any, sense to me. Not with Gusto looking better and better each game.
The only way this makes sense is if there is a very good draft pick coming this way, or a good prospect. Other than that, no sense at all.

Old
11-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

What would it cost to get a player like Perry in the Blue and White ? I'm thinking too much but approximately with what we have (without adding Gustavsson, Kessel, Schenn, Kadri)

Old
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
SteveV*

He doesn't seem like he needs a mentor out there???? He has a great goaltending coach, this move is just STUPID.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
robr00

Quote:
What would it cost to get a player like Perry in the Blue and White ? I'm thinking too much but approximately with what we have (without adding Gustavsson, Kessel, Schenn, Kadri)
It would take Gustavsson, Kessel, Schenn, Kadri for the Ducks not to laugh and hang up the phone.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
pspot

Giggy is a stanley cup, conn smyth winner, that just not another mentor and you can't just disgregard that. If it helps Gust become that much better then its worth the investment. Back load the Monster's extension for one year and you can still have cap space this summer.

For as much as losing your confidence in your goalies hurts a team having confidence will do the opposite. Giggy is still capable and would be a great addition to a young team.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
2 firsts and a 2nd... oh wait, they don't have that.

Old
11-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I thought he was already with them as Giggy is injured?
correct as per ducks.com: http://ducks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
bionic

I dont see that happening at all. The ducks would have to throw in a little more for the leafs to take on 6 friggin million dollars next year. Even then it would not happen.
File this rumor under no way hosay.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

this only works if you include finger or blake in the deal

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Brown Dog

This may have made good sense if the Monster bombed. But the exact opposite has happened.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
this only works if you include finger or blake in the deal
Kind of silly to trade a first line winger for a guy who will barely play for the Leafs. What is the basis for that idea?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Kind of silly to trade a first line winger for a guy who will barely play for the Leafs. What is the basis for that idea?
Uh, cap space?

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
Uh, cap space?
There's a point where cap space over having the best team they can have on the ice to make the playoffs becomes insane, especially in this case where it would be two seasons before the cap advantage happened.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
dubplatepressure

I don't understand what the incentive is for Anaheim to deal him for Toskala.... Is it just a pure salary dump?

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy View Post
This may have made good sense if the Monster bombed. But the exact opposite has happened.
The problem is, do you risk ruining Gustavsson's confidence if his play drops off and the team goes back into a tailspin. The team was banking on Toskala carrying the load with Gustavsson as the backup playing 30-35 games. Now, Toskala and Macdonald have failed and Gustavsson has played well, but do you think that Bruke has done a 180 on Gustavsson and is now comfortable playing him 50-60 games this year.

I don't think so.

I think this move could be a positive one. I would obviously like to see something else coming our way even if we have to dump an expiring contract like Stajan or Exelby. If we could grab a first rounder or a good prospect like Mitera or MacMillan that fills a need, I think that is enough incentive to do it.

I think they would still primarily feature Gustavsson as the number one, but if he struggles or wears down, the team would have a capable goalie to hold the fort while he fought his way through a slump or injury.

Burke has to be evaluating the 2010 free agent market. If he does not believe that Marleau, Kovalchuk, Savard will be available or he does not have interest, then it is unlikely he will be needing a lot of capspace seeing as those are the only expensive players that can really help this team. The team sheds roughly 16 million from their payroll this year and will be able to replace a lot of players from within. A few RFAs must be re-signed, but no large contracts in excess of 2-3 million. They could buy out or send down Finger and/or Blake and shed another 4-7 million if they did need the capspace.

Let's not forget that if Giguere plays well in his time here, the Leafs might be able to flip him at the deadline next season for a decent return.

I think Burke is smart to talk about a deal because there is a lot of potential good he could do for his team with this kind of swap. If he believes he can add an asset while taking on capspace and solidifying his goaltending further, he will have to consider it.

Edit: It's actually somewhere between 20-25 million that we shed from our cap to use towards re-signing RFAs and picking up UFAs.

Last edited by TruthDeliveryVehicle*: 11-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.
TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:41 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There's a point where cap space over having the best team they can have on the ice to make the playoffs becomes insane, especially in this case where it would be two seasons before the cap advantage happened.
I never said anything about the terrible trade proposal. I'm just saying that's where the idea stemmed from.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

The only way I do this is if Gustavsson starts to falter. Until then.. no.

I was kind of on board on this earlier in the year.. but since Gus has started playing I don't think we want to waste all of next year's cap space on Giggy.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I don't understand what the incentive is for Anaheim to deal him for Toskala.... Is it just a pure salary dump?
Absolutely. The Ducks are a team that is built for the playoffs and the time is now for them to drive for a cup. They have a lot of players entering their prime, but the team is struggling. In order to improve the team, they need to be able to take on salary during the next couple of years.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I figured it out! Okay as some of you may know, Giggy's child has a problem that requires medical attention. So Giggy waives his NMC to come to TO and Toskala goes the other way.

Then after this. Giggy agrees to go down to the minors (The TORONTO Marlies), so he can stay in Toronto, not be a cap hit and his kid is still taken care of in Toronto's world class Sick Kids Hospital!

Thoughts?

Old
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
The problem is, do you risk ruining Gustavsson's confidence if his play drops off and the team goes back into a tailspin. The team was banking on Toskala carrying the load with Gustavsson as the backup playing 30-35 games. Now, Toskala and Macdonald have failed and Gustavsson has played well, but do you think that Bruke has done a 180 on Gustavsson and is now comfortable playing him 50-60 games this year.

I don't think so.

I think this move could be a positive one. I would obviously like to see something else coming our way even if we have to dump an expiring contract like Stajan or Exelby. If we could grab a first rounder or a good prospect like Mitera or MacMillan that fills a need, I think that is enough incentive to do it.

I think they would still primarily feature Gustavsson as the number one, but if he struggles or wears down, the team would have a capable goalie to hold the fort while he fought his way through a slump or injury.

Burke has to be evaluating the 2010 free agent market. If he does not believe that Marleau, Kovalchuk, Savard will be available or he does not have interest, then it is unlikely he will be needing a lot of capspace seeing as those are the only expensive players that can really help this team. The team sheds roughly 16 million from their payroll this year and will be able to replace a lot of players from within. A few RFAs must be re-signed, but no large contracts in excess of 2-3 million. They could buy out or send down Finger and/or Blake and shed another 4-7 million if they did need the capspace.

Let's not forget that if Giguere plays well in his time here, the Leafs might be able to flip him at the deadline next season for a decent return.

I think Burke is smart to talk about a deal because there is a lot of potential good he could do for his team with this kind of swap. If he believes he can add an asset while taking on capspace and solidifying his goaltending further, he will have to consider it.
Finally, a bit of sense in the thread. I'll be the first to admit that Gustavsson has been impressive, but he is a bit raw to be thrown into the starting goalie position after a few strong outings. Carey Price anyone?? The team is rebuilding after all, why the big worry over available cap space next year? Giguere would be a great mentor for Jonas, and with only one year remaining I think it would be a great deal.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote