HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giguere to Toronto for Toskala

Old
11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
filek

vCash: 500
6mil for a backup goalie? u gotta be kiddin me.. bring in joey, he's a legit backup!!! and trade toskala for an x round pick (probably x > 3 )

filek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
The Puck

Giguere is only 32, so it's not like he's gonna be a washed up version of Cujo.

Gustavsson is not gonna play 100% of the remaining games this year.

Plus he's already missed time due to 2 separate ailments.

There's been A LOT of goalie injuries the last few years - nothing wrong with having another proven one, just in case.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
What's funny is Kulemin and Gustavsson are likely to see their cap hits decrease next year without the incentive-laden ELC contracts.

I sincerely believe that one of Finger or Blake will be bought out this summer.

Jeff Finger - 6 games, 19 hits, 16 Blocked Shots... 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points.

82 game schedule - 260 hits, 218 Blocked Shots.... 41 points.

These #'s would put him among the league best, in hits and blocked shots.

He can play PP minutes, he's a PKer... he's very versatile.

If he continues his play, he may be moveable at the deadline.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
If spending $6 mil on a backup to an unproven starter was a good idea, why would Anaheim be trading Giguere in the first place?
Hiller's their starter now and it may be one of their only chances to remove Giggy's contract. They don't believe goaltending is an issue with Hiller, so the 6 mill can be used elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Actually when a player waives his clause it becomes void.
Don't believe this is true. I heard it a LONG time ago, but I believe it was shot down. NHLSCAP.com (not gospel) has McCabe with a NMC still.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Jeff Finger - 6 games, 19 hits, 16 Blocked Shots... 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points.

82 game schedule - 260 hits, 218 Blocked Shots.... 41 points.

These #'s would put him among the league best, in hits and blocked shots.

He can play PP minutes, he's a PKer... he's very versatile.

If he continues his play, he may be moveable at the deadline.
Continues? Before this weekend he had been horrible in eveyr game he played.

-6 in 4 games. I'd love to see him become a contibutor for the team, but right now, you're putting a lot of weight into this past weekend's performance. The first time he looked like a competent NHL defenseman this season.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
yikes

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:

-6 in 4 games. I'd love to see him become a contibutor for the team, but right now, you're putting a lot of weight into this past weekend's performance. The first time he looked like a competent NHL defenseman this season.
.... Komisarek/Beauchemin/Schenn/Exelby, along with Finger were being pelted with insults on this board, during our losing streak. You cannot fault ONLY Finger, for the teams performance at that time.

Interesting fact, since Finger has returned we've been undefeated.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
mapes

Am I the only one who likes the idea?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Hiller's their starter now and it may be one of their only chances to remove Giggy's contract. They don't believe goaltending is an issue with Hiller, so the 6 mill can be used elsewhere.

Don't believe this is true. I heard it a LONG time ago, but I believe it was shot down. NHLSCAP.com (not gospel) has McCabe with a NMC still.
I believe it goes like this.

If a player signs a contract he is not allowed to have a NTC/NMC until his UFA year (if he's 2 years until UFA, and signs a 5 year deal, he can have a NTC/NMC for the final 3 years). If a player has signed a contract which has a NTC/NMC which kicks in later, and the player is traded before it kicks in, the NTC/NMC is void.

I believe this became prominent for Spezza, but I'll try to find it.

Edit;

Not an explanation, but a reference to it:
Quote:
– The Senators have denied that they are shopping F Jason Spezza. GM Bryan Murray said that despite the window in which Spezza’s no-trade clause is void (July 1, 2010), he will not be dealt. Spezza, 25, will make $8M next season.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 11-09-2009 at 05:05 PM.
smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
.... Komisarek/Beauchemin/Schenn/Exelby, along with Finger were being pelted with insults on this board, during our losing streak. You cannot fault ONLY Finger, for the teams performance at that time.

Interesting fact, since Finger has returned we've been undefeated.
He wasn't only to blame, but he's the weakest link and he looked as bad/worse than the rest, so he was put in the press box.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Snipeshow

Before the season, I would have said yes. However, Gustavsson is playing SO well that he should probably start 60+ games, and 6mil for 22 games is not worth it.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Don't forget he missed training camp with an oblique injury, which is really hard to skate and train with. He played 4 games without a training camp, and then took some time off. Maybe he's only been healthy for the past 2 games, in which he played well.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
It's hilarious reading each teams fans' thoughts on this.

The majority of Anaheim posters think Toronto would need to send something else with Toskala to reach Giguere's value.
Heh. yeah, I'm sure they do...except that there's no incentive for the Leafs to take on 6 million in salary next year for a backup and help the Ducks with their cap.

If the Ducks are interested in trading Giguere at all, it means they want out of his deal for next season. If that's the case, it becomes a salary dump and the hockey part of the trade is a lot less relevant.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Hiller's their starter now and it may be one of their only chances to remove Giggy's contract. They don't believe goaltending is an issue with Hiller, so the 6 mill can be used elsewhere..
So what you're saying is that there's better ways to spend $6 mil than on a backup goalie?

really?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Ughh!! The thought of paying 7 million next season to a goaltender who will play a back up role (yes Gustavsson is that much better) makes me want to throw up.

No wai.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrafted View Post
Ughh!! The thought of paying 7 million next season to a goaltender who will play a back up role (yes Gustavsson is that much better) makes me want to throw up.

No wai.
Hmm, I wasn't aware Gustavsson was better then a conn smythe and stanley cup winning goaltender.
Look Gustavsson is going to be a good goaltender in next few years possibly a top 10 but hes got a long road ahead of him before he reaches that milestone. Hes only won us two games... It is going to be a couple of years before hes ready to take the reign, we got to take our time with him. Look at Price in Montreal he supposedly had the mental toughness and everything- look at him now hes playing back-up to Halak..... Price keeps getting chance after chance and he keeps faltering. We do not need that to happen with Goose.
If we have a chance to bring in a guy like Giggy, similar goalie to Goose as a gm you pull the trigger no questions-especially if it is only a salary dump. He could learn a lot from Giggy that he could not learn from other goaltenders due to their similar style.
Did I mention that he won the con smythe and cup? The guy is only 32 hes still got two good years left of hockey-the length of his contract. Giggy has been there and done that, that's his problem in Duckland-hes done almost everything. He needs a new challenge and the Leafs would give him that challenge-that would allow him to push himself again.
Honestly if Burke could pull this trade off i think this could end up being one of the biggest fleecing since the Luongo trade. I'm sure this rumor is bs through, Giggy has a nmc. Maybe he would make an exception for Toronto but I doubt it due to his sons condition-unless Toronto has a better doctors to treat his son, highly unlikely.
I'll stop it here but honestly this would be the best case scenario for Maple Leaf fans. Were not in tank mode anymore.
Trust me he would not be brought here to be backup- at very worst split time with Goose.

Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
MLHS Joe C

I don't understand how being good at some point in the past means you get a free ride being a terrible goalie in the present.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdonald View Post
Hmm, I wasn't aware Gustavsson was better then a conn smythe and stanley cup winning goaltender.
Look Gustavsson is going to be a good goaltender in next few years possibly a top 10 but hes got a long road ahead of him before he reaches that milestone. Hes only won us two games... It is going to be a couple of years before hes ready to take the reign, we got to take our time with him. Look at Price in Montreal he supposedly had the mental toughness and everything- look at him now hes playing back-up to Halak..... Price keeps getting chance after chance and he keeps faltering. We do not need that to happen with Goose.
If we have a chance to bring in a guy like Giggy, similar goalie to Goose as a gm you pull the trigger no questions-especially if it is only a salary dump. He could learn a lot from Giggy that he could not learn from other goaltenders due to their similar style.
Did I mention that he won the con smythe and cup? The guy is only 32 hes still got two good years left of hockey-the length of his contract. Giggy has been there and done that, that's his problem in Duckland-hes done almost everything. He needs a new challenge and the Leafs would give him that challenge-that would allow him to push himself again.
Honestly if Burke could pull this trade off i think this could end up being one of the biggest fleecing since the Luongo trade. I'm sure this rumor is bs through, Giggy has a nmc. Maybe he would make an exception for Toronto but I doubt it due to his sons condition-unless Toronto has a better doctors to treat his son, highly unlikely.
I'll stop it here but honestly this would be the best case scenario for Maple Leaf fans. Were not in tank mode anymore.
Trust me he would not be brought here to be backup- at very worst split time with Goose.
Exactly the kind of mentality that has gotten us older players with bad contracts in the past. Giguere was a great goalie and still might be but he hasn't shown that recently. That big of a cap hit is scary. Unless Anaheim includes a a pick or two or a prospect it makes no sense for the Leafs to bail out the Ducks which is exactly what we'd be doing.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Before the season, I would have said yes. However, Gustavsson is playing SO well that he should probably start 60+ games, and 6mil for 22 games is not worth it.
If management thinks this way, they could get themselves into big trouble. A young goalie needs as much support as he can get. There are those rare cases where a goalie can take on a huge workload from the get go, but it's not often. Without a solid goaltender to split starts with when needed, you're putting a ton of pressure on him in a market where goalies have been made and broken in less than year's time.

It's just a lot to risk.

I know we're all very excited about him and we want to see him in net every game, but sooner or later he's gonna come back to earth and then we could have a real problem.

Old
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

If not Giguere, what goalies would you consider who could be had for a reasonable price and could support Gustavsson if and when he falters?

I really think this needs addressing at some point, and when it's too late is not a good time.

Old
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Manny Ferandez, Macdonald. There is no reason to go and look for a back up, we have 2 already.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
LTL

If Blake or Finger are sent along with Toskala then sure.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:59 PM
bionic

how much are some of you guys who want gigare(sp) willing tp pay for our goaltending next year. Gus is going to get a raise to about 3 million plus. add that to 6 million and we are paying almost 10 million dollars on just the goaltending. Not a smart idea in a cap world

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Manny Ferandez, Macdonald. There is no reason to go and look for a back up, we have 2 already.
both of ours have been positively atrocious.

Old
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Bomber0104

If backup goaltending is such an issue, we could have waived Toskala and signed Legace who is a veteran like Giguere and wouldn't making 1/12 the money Giguere is

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote