HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Bruins @ Habs l Gm.4 l 4-3 Bruins (2OT) l Bruins Lead 3-1

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
I saw the play and as a Rags fan, I thought it was acting, plain and simple. Even on NHL 2Night, Melrose and Chicken Parm were almost laughing saying this was deserved due to Ribiero's acting. Melrose said what Ribiero did was emarassment to hockey and Kovalev tried the same thing and payed for it. He then said something like "you get what you deserve" Ferraro agreed saying the slash was WEAK and hit him on the leg and hand (which I do not know is true or not) and it was an obvious embellishment.

To me I think Kovalev was acting big time looking for a call. but what the F was he thnking letting the pcuk go and then crashing into Souray? It is mind baffling. What an absolute idiot. That sums up Kovalev right there. Unbelievable skill, scores 3 goals in 2 games, plays great then has a brain fart and crucial giveaway
Not that I disagree with those guys, but they were a little too convinced that it was an embelishment for my liking. So what if Kovalev ends up with a broken wrist, and then has to have surgery? They will look pretty stupid that's for sure. Actually I guess we all will

I have to admit that was one of the strangest things I've seen in playoff hockey.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Just want to point out 1 quick thing to the one who said that even the penalty on Kovalev in OT was not deserved...

Watch out the play again Please... Barring the penalty, Kovalev would have had a clear way to the net with Zednik standing still absolutly ALONE on the right side of the net. With the way Kovalev have play last night (let's say before he received the slash, but to be honest in my book while he stop playing he still take the puck out of the zone on Souray stick... The remaining was Aaaarrrrgh... well) ok with the way Kovalev have play last night, no penalty = game is done... and that's why the ref used the whistle for... 1 time

Old
04-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Not that I disagree with those guys, but they were a little too convinced that it was an embelishment for my liking. So what if Kovalev ends up with a broken wrist, and then has to have surgery? They will look pretty stupid that's for sure. Actually I guess we all will

I have to admit that was one of the strangest things I've seen in playoff hockey.
I think it was obvious he did nto have a broken wrist. Sure it could happen, but the slash was weak, sure he could get hit just right, but from all angles, he got hit low on the hand, not the wrist.

I think it is poetic justice for that Ribeiro icnident (which I had not seen until just about 5 minutes ago). And Melrose and Ferraro really disliked that play so to them they got a chance to vent. Plus Kovalev is a known actor

Old
04-14-2004, 09:17 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Interestingly enough, Travis Green was chopped in the back of the legs in the Bruins defensive zone less than a half a minute before Kovalev got tapped on the hand. Green went down to the ice from the chop, but still kept playing and lunged to get the puck out of the B's defensive zone... he got up, tapped Kovalev, Kovalev checked Souray while trying to draw a penalty, and Murray broke in on Theodore for the win. Game over.

If you're going to beef about the non-call on Kovalev, then I suggest you also beef about the non-call on Green mere seconds before. Neither were called. The difference, Green kept playing. Kovalev didn't, and it cost his team the game.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:48 AM
jcpenny

Habs fan here...

I wasnt expecting a penalty on Kovy even though it would have been during the season. The refs let go on that one and i thought it was alright. Maybe they should have called the play off just to see if he was injured and not for a penalty Bottom line is, we should have won that game cuz we deserved it.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Uber Coca

Play Garon, he can't do worse than Theodore right now. **** we need a decent goalie.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
I wasnt expecting a penalty on Kovy even though it would have been during the season. The refs let go on that one and i thought it was alright. Maybe they should have called the play off just to see if he was injured and not for a penalty Bottom line is, we should have won that game cuz we deserved it.
Didn't Nichol get suspended for something similar before the end of the regular season?

Old
04-14-2004, 10:13 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Interestingly enough, Travis Green was chopped in the back of the legs in the Bruins defensive zone less than a half a minute before Kovalev got tapped on the hand. Green went down to the ice from the chop, but still kept playing and lunged to get the puck out of the B's defensive zone... he got up, tapped Kovalev, Kovalev checked Souray while trying to draw a penalty, and Murray broke in on Theodore for the win. Game over.

If you're going to beef about the non-call on Kovalev, then I suggest you also beef about the non-call on Green mere seconds before. Neither were called. The difference, Green kept playing. Kovalev didn't, and it cost his team the game.
From where I was sitting i was seeing the Bruins cheating over and over during the overtime. What about the Habs having to play through all that hooking and grabbing and clutching and STILL dominating. If i was a fan of Boston, I'd be disappointed with my teams effort. You shouldn't have to cheat to win.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:33 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
From where I was sitting i was seeing the Bruins cheating over and over during the overtime. What about the Habs having to play through all that hooking and grabbing and clutching and STILL dominating. If i was a fan of Boston, I'd be disappointed with my teams effort. You shouldn't have to cheat to win.
Last night's game had good efforts from both teams, for different chunks of the game. I should be disappointed in my team's resilience, enabling them to come back from a 2-goal deficit to tie the game with under a minute left in regulation? I should be disappointed with my team hanging in there, through one and a half period of overtimes and come out on the winning end?

As for "you shouldn't have to cheat to win"... I agree. You might want to remind Ribeiro of that little quote. Before you're so quick to jump all over the Bruins for clutching, grabbing, and hooking, when your own bleu, blanc et rouge gives VERY much as good as they get in that department. Sometimes hamming it up for the refs goes your way (Ribeiro in game 3) and sometimes it works against you (Kovalev in game 4). Paybacks are a ***** and frankly, a little poetic justice was served last night.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
04-14-2004, 10:34 AM
-_-

Time to get Rationnal in here...

ok ok ok, it's time to put emotions aside and take a look at this incident in a rationnal way... we're not kids anymore, aren't we ?

First of all, Kovalev did played his best game with the habs so far. I was at the game and it was clear that Kovy was the best player out there. Habs fans don't turn your back on him because of one play you didn't like... Kovy has been the major reason why Montreal has been able to keep the momemtum in the last 3 periods... including the OTs... He was everywhere, reading the play very well and creating scoring chances shift after shift... i definetly impress me alot with his performance and he deserve the 1st star in my book... hockey isn't only about stats, Kovy has been the turning point of yesterday's game, and i'm not only talking about the last play of the game folks :d

Second of all, was it a penalty or not a penalty ? Ok, hold on here... seriously it was penalty material, the slash was a cheap shot by Green but it wasn't that bad... but it was a penalty for sure ! Hold on, hold on now... i'm not saying the refS should have called a penalty, all i'm saying is this slashing should be call in nomal situations... but this is the NHL and we are in the Playoffs... + we are in OT + we are in a second OT + the referes just gave a penalty to Boston a couple of minutes before on a play against Kovalev (by the way, even if i'm a hab fans, Boston's penalty wasn't that bad, the slash was worst, and i think that they shouldn't have called it... Boston has been lucky that Montreal didn't take advantage of this call... bad call in my book, not that it wasn't a penalty but it wasn't bad enough to be call in OT in such an important game) SO referees have taken the right descison on this play by not calling a penalty on Green... it's sad but today the consequences of a cheap shot determine wheter or not it should be penalize (Ex: Bertuzzi's accident compare to another dude one week after Bertuzzi's hit who did almost the same thing but only got one game or two...) SO to get back to the last play of yesteday's game... cause we have enough with this play to talk till the end of the day... it was a cheap shot and Green's intention was without a doubt to disturb Montreal and make them pay, but that's fair in playoff, but it wasn't a penalty due to the circonstances and referees took the right option (according to the NHL tolerance level).

On the other hand, it didn't like Souray's reaction one bit... he didn't even took a look at Kovalev to make sure he wasn't in his way... ok Kovalev could have looked where he was going but come on he was the injured player so it can't be his fault and not Souay's one. Souray should have take the puck and make sure he wasn't getting in Kovalev's way and then clear the puck to make an offside and stop the play... but everything is going so fast.

Another point: KOVALEV DIDN'T STOP PLAYING ! He did stop playing in the second after the hit but, come on, it's a normal reaction for any human being to stop everything for a second when you get injured, no matter the degree of the injury, when you think that you're injured, even if you're not, your brain will make you feel pain for a second or two... it's normal... then Kovalev did take a look to see how things were going on and when he saw Souray coming he just let him took the puck but unfortunetly he didn't think Souray wasn't looking at him and tought he would pass behind him so he turned right... bad move but, come on, he was injured or trying to explain with actions his reactions... if Kovalev after realizing he wasn't injured (if he wasn't) simply took the puck and continued to play i'm sure a lot of fans would have yell more than now saying he was only trying to make referees called a penalty on a play where he didn't even felt pain at all...

So who's fault is it? Maybe hockey in general who's unable to make sure the game stay clean but things shouldn't change on one play so it can't be on this particular play; Maybe Kovalev but i really don't think so; Maybe Souray, i think that if someone has to be blame it has to be him, but at the same time it's only one play and even if it would be his fault he can't be blame because to blame someone is something very strong and that should be use in extreme situations only; Boston ? what the **** ? I'm a hab fan and proud to be one but god damn it sure isn't Boston fault... the slash was dirty but this is playoff's OT; who's left to take the blame ? Theo ? lol His positionning on the goal wasn't perfect but it's still a breakaway; who's left ? nobody, nobody's to blame... it's just a strange play, a play that would be remembered for a long long time as one of the ugliest ending in playoff's history.... a play that wasn't beautiful and well excecuted... a lucky goal of circonstances !

What i didn't like:

-Green's comments after the game... something like ''i wasn't trying to hit him on the hand, i was aiming his stick to make him loose the puck'' ugly... if you are a dirty player at least have the guts to take responsability of your actions
-Souray's comments after the game... something like ''bla bla bla would you stop playing ?'' i was a huge fan of Souray but this kind of comments are unnacceptable from a player... you should never turn your back by putting the blame on a teammate even if you think he made a major mystake... Kovalev knows that he made a mystake in some way and he has enough problem with the media all over him and some fans who won't forgive him !
-Julien's reaction after the game... he said it's Kovalev fault... ugly... i tought Julien was a very good coach and i hadn't blame him once since he join the organisation but this comment was stupid for the same reason of Souray's one.
-Someone in the Bruins' comments after the game (i think it was Murray actually)... he said the goal wasn't lucky or something like that, that it was a good goal, a goal that Boston earn by their effort, something like this... ugly... everybody know it was a ugly !
-Referees in the third and second periods... at one point Ryder was hooked for about 20 seconds !!! lol ok maybe 5... but it was ****ing clear he was hooked and he didn't even manage to turn around the oppostion's net... it should have been called, there was no excuses on this play ! + Kovalev penalty wasn't that bad, it was a clean hit, Thorton turn back at the last minute, shouldn't have been called. + Markov got nail by dirty Joe Thorton and referees didn't called... it was worst than Kovy's hit on Thorton in my books... Zednik penalty ? what the **** ? Sorry Bruins fans i don't have any exemples for you guys but i'm sure there was call on your side that referees miss... it just that i remeber those on our side easier since im a hab fan.
-The offside while Bulis was going all alone in breakaway with an empty net... it wasn't an offside ? The puck did came out of the zone but it hasn't been touch by any Bruins fans when it came back in... it shouldn't be an offside, should it be ?

What i've like`:
-Raycroft: he played awesome after Montreal's 3 goals. Congratulations to the young men... he also shut us up (Montreal's fans) with a glove save in OT while we were screaming RAYYYY...CROFTTTT RAYYYY...CROFTTTT... it was funny
-Kovalev: played awesome
-Ribeiro: like him or not, the kid has stepped up with courage and delivered ! +his comment after the game were nice: he said the blame could be put on the 10 chances the habs missed before the last play of the game, and that it wasn't Kovalev's fault... he also said this serie wasn't done yet... he shows some great things for a kid who's at first run into the playoffs !
-Koivu, Ward, Dowd
-Juneau's move in a one on one... same move that Tim Connelli made back in the days when he was playing with the Isls in regular season against the habs

It's not time to quit, this serie isn't over yet, i hop the players won't back down from this challenge ! Go Habs Go ! I hope we'll have a game six, i got tickets Playoff Hockey rules !

Old
04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by -_-
ok ok ok, it's time to put emotions aside and take a look at this incident in a rationnal way... we're not kids anymore, aren't we ?

First of all, Kovalev did played his best game with the habs so far. I was at the game and it was clear that Kovy was the best player out there. Habs fans don't turn your back on him because of one play you didn't like... Kovy has been the major reason why Montreal has been able to keep the momemtum in the last 3 periods... including the OTs... He was everywhere, reading the play very well and creating scoring chances shift after shift... i definetly impress me alot with his performance and he deserve the 1st star in my book... hockey isn't only about stats, Kovy has been the turning point of yesterday's game, and i'm not only talking about the last play of the game folks :d

Second of all, was it a penalty or not a penalty ? Ok, hold on here... seriously it was penalty material, the slash was a cheap shot by Green but it wasn't that bad... but it was a penalty for sure ! Hold on, hold on now... i'm not saying the refS should have called a penalty, all i'm saying is this slashing should be call in nomal situations... but this is the NHL and we are in the Playoffs... + we are in OT + we are in a second OT + the referes just gave a penalty to Boston a couple of minutes before on a play against Kovalev (by the way, even if i'm a hab fans, Boston's penalty wasn't that bad, the slash was worst, and i think that they shouldn't have called it... Boston has been lucky that Montreal didn't take advantage of this call... bad call in my book, not that it wasn't a penalty but it wasn't bad enough to be call in OT in such an important game) SO referees have taken the right descison on this play by not calling a penalty on Green... it's sad but today the consequences of a cheap shot determine wheter or not it should be penalize (Ex: Bertuzzi's accident compare to another dude one week after Bertuzzi's hit who did almost the same thing but only got one game or two...) SO to get back to the last play of yesteday's game... cause we have enough with this play to talk till the end of the day... it was a cheap shot and Green's intention was without a doubt to disturb Montreal and make them pay, but that's fair in playoff, but it wasn't a penalty due to the circonstances and referees took the right option (according to the NHL tolerance level).

On the other hand, it didn't like Souray's reaction one bit... he didn't even took a look at Kovalev to make sure he wasn't in his way... ok Kovalev could have looked where he was going but come on he was the injured player so it can't be his fault and not Souay's one. Souray should have take the puck and make sure he wasn't getting in Kovalev's way and then clear the puck to make an offside and stop the play... but everything is going so fast.

Another point: KOVALEV DIDN'T STOP PLAYING ! He did stop playing in the second after the hit but, come on, it's a normal reaction for any human being to stop everything for a second when you get injured, no matter the degree of the injury, when you think that you're injured, even if you're not, your brain will make you feel pain for a second or two... it's normal... then Kovalev did take a look to see how things were going on and when he saw Souray coming he just let him took the puck but unfortunetly he didn't think Souray wasn't looking at him and tought he would pass behind him so he turned right... bad move but, come on, he was injured or trying to explain with actions his reactions... if Kovalev after realizing he wasn't injured (if he wasn't) simply took the puck and continued to play i'm sure a lot of fans would have yell more than now saying he was only trying to make referees called a penalty on a play where he didn't even felt pain at all...

So who's fault is it? Maybe hockey in general who's unable to make sure the game stay clean but things shouldn't change on one play so it can't be on this particular play; Maybe Kovalev but i really don't think so; Maybe Souray, i think that if someone has to be blame it has to be him, but at the same time it's only one play and even if it would be his fault he can't be blame because to blame someone is something very strong and that should be use in extreme situations only; Boston ? what the **** ? I'm a hab fan and proud to be one but god damn it sure isn't Boston fault... the slash was dirty but this is playoff's OT; who's left to take the blame ? Theo ? lol His positionning on the goal wasn't perfect but it's still a breakaway; who's left ? nobody, nobody's to blame... it's just a strange play, a play that would be remembered for a long long time as one of the ugliest ending in playoff's history.... a play that wasn't beautiful and well excecuted... a lucky goal of circonstances !

What i didn't like:

-Green's comments after the game... something like ''i wasn't trying to hit him on the hand, i was aiming his stick to make him loose the puck'' ugly... if you are a dirty player at least have the guts to take responsability of your actions
-Souray's comments after the game... something like ''bla bla bla would you stop playing ?'' i was a huge fan of Souray but this kind of comments are unnacceptable from a player... you should never turn your back by putting the blame on a teammate even if you think he made a major mystake... Kovalev knows that he made a mystake in some way and he has enough problem with the media all over him and some fans who won't forgive him !
-Julien's reaction after the game... he said it's Kovalev fault... ugly... i tought Julien was a very good coach and i hadn't blame him once since he join the organisation but this comment was stupid for the same reason of Souray's one.
-Someone in the Bruins' comments after the game (i think it was Murray actually)... he said the goal wasn't lucky or something like that, that it was a good goal, a goal that Boston earn by their effort, something like this... ugly... everybody know it was a ugly !
-Referees in the third and second periods... at one point Ryder was hooked for about 20 seconds !!! lol ok maybe 5... but it was ****ing clear he was hooked and he didn't even manage to turn around the oppostion's net... it should have been called, there was no excuses on this play ! + Kovalev penalty wasn't that bad, it was a clean hit, Thorton turn back at the last minute, shouldn't have been called. + Markov got nail by dirty Joe Thorton and referees didn't called... it was worst than Kovy's hit on Thorton in my books... Zednik penalty ? what the **** ? Sorry Bruins fans i don't have any exemples for you guys but i'm sure there was call on your side that referees miss... it just that i remeber those on our side easier since im a hab fan.
-The offside while Bulis was going all alone in breakaway with an empty net... it wasn't an offside ? The puck did came out of the zone but it hasn't been touch by any Bruins fans when it came back in... it shouldn't be an offside, should it be ?

What i've like`:
-Raycroft: he played awesome after Montreal's 3 goals. Congratulations to the young men... he also shut us up (Montreal's fans) with a glove save in OT while we were screaming RAYYYY...CROFTTTT RAYYYY...CROFTTTT... it was funny
-Ribeiro: like him or not, the kid has stepped up with courage and delivered ! +his comment after the game were nice: he said the blame could be put on the 10 chances the habs missed before the last play of the game, and that it wasn't Kovalev's fault... he also said this serie wasn't done yet... he shows some great things for a kid who's at first run into the playoffs !
-Koivu, Ward, Dowd
-Juneau's move in a one on one... same move that Tim Connelli made back in the days when he was playing with the Isls in regular season against the habs

It's not time to quit, this serie isn't over yet, i hop the players won't back down from this challenge ! Go Habs Go ! I hope we'll have a game six, i got tickets Playoff Hockey rules !
Agreed for Julien and Souray. I liked them but now...I'm not sure. Go Kovy!

Old
04-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by -_-

What i didn't like:

What i've like`:
-Koivu, Ward, Dowd

Very nice summary of the situation.

Edit: I haven't read through most of the comments so I don't know if this article has been posted yet.

I still shake my head though and can't help but think that Kovalev could have done something/anything to keep the play going or at the very least, not bump into his teammate. Ugly ending. Maybe he'll make up for it next game with a hatty and a win.

Last edited by Thalia: 04-14-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Habs fans boo Saku Koivu and back up what Ribiero and Kovalev did on the ice and accuse another team of 'cheating' as they blow a two goal lead.

As everyone has already said it... poetic justice.

NAH NAH NAH NAH
NAH NAH NAH NAH
HEY HEY HEY
GOOOOOD-BYE!

Old
04-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Skiblitz

Just an update, Kovalev looked quite fine in the dressing room after the game giving interviews, not even any redness on said hand/wrist...(This is what was seen on RDS and TVA, local (french) Montreal sportscast news....)

Old
04-14-2004, 01:59 PM
devildan

Anyone else find it funny how only Habs fans think that it was a penalty?

Old
04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiblitz
Just an update, Kovalev looked quite fine in the dressing room after the game giving interviews, not even any redness on said hand/wrist...(This is what was seen on RDS and TVA, local (french) Montreal sportscast news....)
ok

Old
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
This issue here shouldn't be about the penalty, refs of anything else but the fact that this was a double OT game the Canadiens BADLY needed and Kovalev put his head down and gave up on the play. I mean, it's not like he suffered a broken bone as the result a wild swing or two hander. And even so, when you're talking a critical OT game and the puck is in a danger zone, you do everything possible to follow through on the play. The bottom line is what Kovalev did was a sin and there's no excuse for it. He showed his true colors and the Habs paid the price for it.

From my view, all this talk from Canadiens fans is really more about the utter disappointment of seeing your team lose is such a freakin lame way. If it was my team, I would be shocked and pissed. Nobody wants to go out like that, you want to go down fighting.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Gaebriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -_-
incident in a rationnal way... we're not kids anymore, aren't we ?

Second of all, was it a penalty or not a penalty ? Ok, hold on here... seriously it was penalty material, the slash was a cheap shot by Green but it wasn't that bad... but it was a penalty for sure !
I've watched the replay multiple times, too many times. Anyone who's ever actually played hockey will tell you that play was so ridiculously benign it's not even funny. The tip of Green's stick hit the center part of the back of Kovalev's glove. There's no way in hell that will ever feel a stick through a half an inch of thick padding on the back of your glove, you just won't.

The fact of the matter is, in the 12 games that Kovalev played with Montreal at the end of the season he had a whopping 1 goal and 2 assists with a -4. If I was a Habs fan I would be pissed.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:36 PM
DallasStars2003

Send a message via AIM to DallasStars2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey
Play Garon, he can't do worse than Theodore right now. **** we need a decent goalie.
If you're referring to the winning goal, it wasn't Theodore's fault at all. He was left on his toes because Kovalev gave up.

Seriously, who gives up. In Double OT. AND prevents a teammate from picking up after you on the play. I can see if his wrist was broken, but that slash could hardly even be called a slash.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel
I've watched the replay multiple times, too many times. Anyone who's ever actually played hockey will tell you that play was so ridiculously benign it's not even funny. The tip of Green's stick hit the center part of the back of Kovalev's glove. There's no way in hell that will ever feel a stick through a half an inch of thick padding on the back of your glove, you just won't.

The fact of the matter is, in the 12 games that Kovalev played with Montreal at the end of the season he had a whopping 1 goal and 2 assists with a -4. If I was a Habs fan I would be pissed.
I totally agree. And, Kovalev's goal was on an empty net, and one of his assists was also on an EN goal :lol He has played well the last 2 playoff games and was the main reason Montreal won game 3 and almost won last night, but was ironically also the reason they lost.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:43 PM
DallasStars2003

Send a message via AIM to DallasStars2003
Upon further review, Travis Green's stick doesn't even hit Kovalev's wrist. It hits the back of his hand. ON THE GLOVE.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStars2003
Upon further review, Travis Green's stick doesn't even hit Kovalev's wrist. It hits the back of his hand. ON THE GLOVE.
Doesn't make it any better really...

I don't post all that often but I figure I'll throw in my two cents on this one. As a Habs fan, obviously I was livid at first (I mean who wouldn't be given the situation). Now that I've had my cool down time and have watched the replay several times I've drawn a few conclusions. I haven't really read all the posts regarding this so I may or may not sound like a broken record but here goes.

If I take out a gun and fire a shot aimed at someone's head yet only graze his ear, does that mean I should get away with it? Does Travis Green slash Alexei Kovalev? Absolutely, and don't give me this "I was going for his stick" garbage. Does it warrant a penalty? In regulation, I would think Green would get a minor. Then again, it does cost us the game in double overtime. However, thanks to Mike Ribeiro's absolutely embarrassing display in game 3, the Habs will not be as lucky the second time.

Was Kovalev hurt? I think it's possible but he could be fine for all we know. I honestly don't think he would have pulled the embelisshing stunt after Ribeiro had pulled a dive the game before. If I was Kovalev, I dive on the puck or kick it out, anything but leave it there. Nobody at fault but him. Do I run him out of town for it? Of course I don't, he's the best goal scorer we have and he's proving why Gainey went out and got him.

Now I'm pretty sure Brisebois went for a change when Kovalev had control of the puck (could be wrong). If there's one thing I don't do, in double OT no less, is head for the bench when the puck is in my zone. I'm having as big a problem with that as Kovalev not clearing the puck. If Brisebois doesn't change, at least he's still back once Murray has control of the puck. You see Rivet coming off the bench, but by then Murray's hit full stride, way too far ahead of Rivet.

Nearly 24 hours after the fact, I'm not all that mad anymore. Given the fact that this is a rebuilding team (with quite a few prospects on the way) and to have dominated the Bruins for three of the four games, I'm impressed. Of course Raycroft is doing to us with Theodore did to the B's two years ago. Absolutely awesome goaltending. I love Ryder as much as the next Habs fan, but Raycroft gets the Calder no questions about it. Second to Belfour in terms of playoff 'tending. As for Theodore...well he's pulling a Dafoe from two years ago. For the highest paid player in Canadiens history to be giving up a softie per game...well he did play very well in the overtimes last night.

I'm not giving up hope yet, we can do the impossible, but there certainly is no margin for error to say the least.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Alzilla

The stick tap on the glove is done by every fore-checking forward in the league and that is exactly what Green did, no more-no less. I can’t actually believe some people believed that this guy was actually hurt and not faking the injury. If Kovalev is really hurt then I’m sure he’ll have no trouble producing a bruise for the media. The guy is notorious for pulling stunts like this one, this time it cost his team the game.

But that’s not really the point anyway…you never give up in a play-off game like he did. Period.

I can’t wait to watch Coach’s Corner tonight…lol

Old
04-14-2004, 05:01 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
Just because Habs are playing good for once for couple of periods and not outshot like crazy (2001 - 2002) doesn't mean they are dominating and should necessary win!

This "domination" wasn't even near of B's domination circa 2002....and all we had to hear after our loss back then how B's chocked!!! In the last 2 games of the 2001 - 2002 playoffs despite 13 B's to 1 Habs penalties B's outplayed and outshot Habs in each of the #5 and #6 games...Shots advantage was something like 44-15 in each game.

There is no "if" and "buts" doesn't count in the playoffs. Only scoreboard.

I don't know outcome of these series yet but I sure don't want to hear how Habs "outplayed" us.

And by the way in 2001 - 2002 B's were the same age or even younger team than Habs now.

Core group of the B's were Thornton - 22, Samsonov - 23 , Guerin was 31 (Just like Kovalev) etc.

Clutching and grabing???? Noooooo...something Habs players NEVER do! next time watch Boullinon hanging from one of the bigger player.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:37 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
From my view, all this talk from Canadiens fans is really more about the utter disappointment of seeing your team lose is such a freakin lame way. If it was my team, I would be shocked and pissed. Nobody wants to go out like that, you want to go down fighting.
Yeah it's frustrating, but I am impressed with how competitive and entertaining this series has been. It could as easily be 3-1 the other way, it has been that close. I have a new appreciation for the heart of these young Hab players, and I like what I see in the young core who will be around for a while. I also am very impressed with Raycroft, he has carried on where he left off in the regular season with a stellar series to date.

So, all in all, I would rather be 2-2 than down 3-1, but there is still life in them there Habs and next game I don't expect them to take lying down. After all, in 10 matchups this season, all but one have been decided by one goal, so I don't see that changing next game. These two teams are fairly evenly matched...size vs speed with the edge going to the hottest goalie du jour.

Closed Thread