HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Hockey Fest Thread (Sunday 11/15, Noon-6pm)

Old
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
2009 Hockey Fest Thread (Sunday 11/15, Noon-6pm)

It's that time of year again, albeit quite a bit earlier! Hockey Fest!

http://www.bluejacketsfoundation.org...ckey-Fest.aspx

I figured any questions/tips/advice about the event could go in here, especially for those that might be going for the first time. Looks like fun as always.

I still need a few autographs from newer players, but if nothing else, I'm getting the practice puck KRuss handed me while I hung out at the tunnel pre-game in SJ signed!

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Skraut

having never gone, I just have a quick question. Can you go for a couple hours, say noon to 3, and see everything, or are things spaced out throughout the entire day? I'd love to go, but have another commitment in Cleveland in the evening, and while I have no problem driving 4 hours for 3 hours of entertainment, I don't want to miss "all the good stuff"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Depends on what you want to do & who you want to meet & get autographs from. The players rotate every hour or so, so they move around and aren't in one spot all day (save for Mase, who's going to be spending quality time with the Calder for 3 hours). If you want the whole team, 3 hours might be tough, but if you've got just a couple in mind or want to see what the day's all about, 3 hours would work.

New for this year are modified Autograph Alleys. You used to pay $5 & get 6-7 players. Now it's $5 for two, with 2-3 different alleys each time. I'm looking specifically for Russell...he's paired with none other than Nash. I'll have to stake out a spot 2 hours early...

Old
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
CateLeigh

Actually you can purchase passes for the autograph alley sessions and all the different photo sessions and locker rooms tours in advance from Ticketmaster.

Haven't been before and not sure how they will handle this, but assuming only so many tickets for each time frame will be sold, you might want to get yours in advance.

CateLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I don't like the new way they're doing the autographs. I understand it's for a good cause, so I understand that it helps raise more money, but if you're going for signatures & getting to say hi to the players alone, it's going to cost $55 for the autograph alley tickets throughout the day. It used to cost $15 for I think 3 sessions with 6-7 players each.

Player event schedule (though this excludes players playing video games, hanging out, etc.): http://www.bluejacketsfoundation.org...0Schedule.sflb

I remember two years ago trying to get Manny to sign one of his old sticks & going through the Penalty Box photo line to do it. I don't think anybody had their picture taken with Hejda (in the other box at the same time), though I got his autograph. Poor Jan...somebody get their picture taken with him when he's alongside Jake this year. There have to be a couple HFers with his avatars willing to show him some love.

Old
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
letsgojackets

We had fun. Saw everyone but Mason, Torres, and Pahlsson. I know Mason had the Calder station all day, don't think the other 2 were there. Attendance was definately down this year.

Funny thing happened on the way to the arena. Saw Hitch walking his dog. Who would think that such a big, tough coach would have so little of a dog.

Overall, great day for a great cause.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
letsgojackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I don't like the new way they're doing the autographs. I understand it's for a good cause, so I understand that it helps raise more money, but if you're going for signatures & getting to say hi to the players alone, it's going to cost $55 for the autograph alley tickets throughout the day. It used to cost $15 for I think 3 sessions with 6-7 players each.

Player event schedule (though this excludes players playing video games, hanging out, etc.): http://www.bluejacketsfoundation.org...0Schedule.sflb

I remember two years ago trying to get Manny to sign one of his old sticks & going through the Penalty Box photo line to do it. I don't think anybody had their picture taken with Hejda (in the other box at the same time), though I got his autograph. Poor Jan...somebody get their picture taken with him when he's alongside Jake this year. There have to be a couple HFers with his avatars willing to show him some love.
I generally agree about the autographs but the only problem when they had 5-6 players on the bench was getting everyone through the line. Now with 1-2 players and advance tickets, the crowd is a little more controlled. I also liked the fact that you could buy tickets for the autographs early this year. I think that helped the process.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
kirsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
We had fun. Saw everyone but Mason, Torres, and Pahlsson. I know Mason had the Calder station all day, don't think the other 2 were there. Attendance was definately down this year.

Funny thing happened on the way to the arena. Saw Hitch walking his dog. Who would think that such a big, tough coach would have so little of a dog.

Mason actually wasn't there, because he was sick... or rather is having back spasms. But, I did take a picture with me and the calder trophy, and tag some air as mason on facebook.

I thought it was really fun. I did all of the autograph alley sessions and it was pretty great because I wasn't expecting to be able to take pictures with the guys, but was mostly able to because we were going when the lines were basically empty. Wish that that didn't take up all my time though. I had some free time in-between the sessions but don't think I could have fit in a locker room tour, which would have been nice.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post

So what kind of dog did Hitch have?

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I got Hitch to sign my jersey & team poster from last year. He was in the corner of the arena where the Prius is on display, just looking out over the crowd early in the day. I figured I'd let him be until I saw other fans go up & talk to him, at which point I thought "Ok, fair game." He actually didn't mind having the fans come up to him.

His on-stage deal with Rimer & Davidge was kinda cool too...I liked the story about how he, Lemaire, Babcock & Ruff took notes about how they took notes on each other instead of brainstorming to work together in the first Olympic meeting & how all four teams run the PK the same way. Him saying up to half our team could be in the Olympics was interesting as well. We know Nash is in, Mason has a chance, the three Swedes we started the season with all got the nod & he thinks that any of our Czechs may have a shot. And then there's the RJ situation.

I finally got the "San Jose puck" signed by KRuss, the whole point of going. (For those that didn't see the back story in the SJS GDT, I went to the game in San Jose & pre-game, hung out by the CBJ tunnel. As he left the ice after the pre-game skate, Russ saw my hat, turned around, got my attention & handed me a practice puck.) I tried to get in to do the Guitar Hero thing in the 3pm hour to get him to sign it & it didn't happen, so I ended up going through the 3-mile long Nash/Russell autograph line. Sure enough, it was the longest of the day by far. I might have been the only one there more interested in Kris' autograph than Nash's, but it all worked out. I got the puck & my Caltrain ticket to the game signed and a picture with him.

The coolest part was that he seemed to remember the story. It wasn't a "Yeah, sure, whatever kid..." type thing- I didn't even get the end of the story out before he said "Yeah! Yeah, I remember that!" & he seemed to get a kick out of it.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 04-29-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old
11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

You guys look like you could be brothers!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

I volunteered for the foundation and sold 50/50 raffle tickets, got done at 3pm, then went and bid on one of the silent auctions. Won a Derek Dorsett, framed and matted, game used stick, signed photo, and piece of goalie net, all in a nice frame for only $120. Pic looks bad ass with his hair flying and everything.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
CzechMate93

anyone have pics to share from hockeyfest? I'm particularily interested in seeing Jake's new do!

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote