HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Manibanez13

vCash: 500
Nikita Filatov

Does he crack the lineup? Is he ready?

Old
08-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Skraut

Yes, though where he will be is anybody's guess, probably start out on the 4th line and work up.

Old
08-07-2009, 08:20 PM
RBarRegular

Yes.

Old
08-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I think he's ready, but in saying that I mean he is ready to take the next step in his NHL career. That experience must be positive and it must be framed within his abilty.

It's up to the coaching staff to ensure he succeeds, he has the NHL talent.

Old
08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

yes, but will swap between lines often i think he will only be on the 1st line if he really surprises i say swaps between 2nd/3rd starts out 3rd/4th line

Old
08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
hashmarks

Yes. Too many reputations on the line to have him in the AHL another year.

Old
08-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Rimers stache

Wasnt Howson on the radio up in Toronto hinting he would be on top six duty and thats why they didnt resign Jason Williams

Old
08-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Howson wants him on the team, Hitchcock doesn't. Which means he'll play 5 minutes a game with either Dorsett or Boll and Murray. Can't wait for that.

Old
08-08-2009, 02:22 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Hitchcock is notorious for burying his rookies on the depth chart, as he did with Carter and Richards in Philly. Filatov is a dynamic player and deserves a tryout on the top-6. Any chance a Nash-Brassard-Filatov line is assembled in the near future? That would be tough to contain.

Old
08-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

He seemed to adapt to the AHL game pretty quickly last season, and showed he could score here.

He should be here from now on.

Old
08-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Howson wants him on the team, Hitchcock doesn't. Which means he'll play 5 minutes a game with either Dorsett or Boll and Murray. Can't wait for that.
Your joking I'm sure. No player had less than an average of 8 minutes a game last season so he will get at least that, probably much more by mid season. I don't know if Hitchcock wants him on the team or not but he's going to get him, and the process better be a successful one.

Old
08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
I see him averaging 8-10 min but I see alot of games where this guy won't get 5. mins in.

Old
08-08-2009, 10:24 AM
brianhatesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Your joking I'm sure. No player had less than an average of 8 minutes a game last season so he will get at least that, probably much more by mid season. I don't know if Hitchcock wants him on the team or not but he's going to get him, and the process better be a successful one.
why would he be joking, out of 8 games he had one where he played 2:54 and one where he played 4:51.

Old
08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Hitchcock is notorious for burying his rookies on the depth chart, as he did with Carter and Richards in Philly. Filatov is a dynamic player and deserves a tryout on the top-6. Any chance a Nash-Brassard-Filatov line is assembled in the near future? That would be tough to contain.
Filatov is a rookie, and however talented, didn't exactly dominate in the AHL last year. A Nash-Brassard-Filatov line may indeed lay in our future, but the kid has a lot of learning and growing up to do first. Second, our top two lines really aren't that bad, particularly in comparison to years past. Third or fourth line to start, but a line with a sting.

Old
08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Oh really? You have a link for this or did you talk to Hitch personally?

Quote:
*sigh* Most people on this board have seen the evidence to prove your little 'nototrious theory' flat incorrect but I will spell it out for you one more time.

Carter scored 23 goals and played 12:23/night.
Richards: played over 15 minutes
RJ (another rookie who was buried) scored 20 goals and played over 13 minutes a night.
Pitkanen has yet to match his rookie totals and played over 23 minutes...

I hope Filatov is capable of being 'buried in the depth chart' like that.

Do some research and then come trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
why would he be joking, out of 8 games he had one where he played 2:54 and one where he played 4:51.
Did you watch him in those games? That kid looked like he was going to get killed. Oh yeah...he scored a hatty--the guy deserves 15 minutes a night, right? I have never been more afraid for a hockey players' safety than I was for his in some of those games.

Old
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
brianhatesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Did you watch him in those games? That kid looked like he was going to get killed. Oh yeah...he scored a hatty--the guy deserves 15 minutes a night, right? I have never been more afraid for a hockey players' safety than I was for his in some of those games.
actually, I did, and they didn't look any more physical than any other game. There are games where some of the other teams players are headhunting, but that was not the case n those games. Sometimes you have to let him go out and take a couple hits to get used to the speed and physicality of the NHL, you can't go around trying to protect people all the time.

Old
08-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
And one where he played 12...his average was 8 minutes. If he is on the roster for the season he will average 8 minutes per game after he plays enough games to make an average relevant, probably more.

Old
08-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
What some call burying, others call development. Did those players really end up so bad or maybe they were put into a position to be successful at that point in their career. Brassard and Voracek each wanted more time but they were played in situation where they could show success. By the end of the year Voracek was playing with confidence in all situations and earning more ice time. Filatov will go the same route. I've seen nothing that implies Hitchcock bury's young players and hurts their careers.

As for Nash Brassard Filatov....It certainly could be the future. I would say probably not this year but depending on Filatov's development it could be in 2 years but likely 3.

Old
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
WapakJacketsFan

I think he makes the big team this year.

As for his ice team, I hope he gets whatever he -earns-. Whether that is 2 minutes a night, or 20 minutes a night, I want him to earn it. Not a single person on the team deserves to have a damn thing handed to them.

Old
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
RBarRegular

Completely off topic and probably irrelevant but here's my Nikita Filatov story. The night of his hat trick (Jan 10?), the wife and I are going to the game but are getting a room at Crowne Plaza because freezing rain is in the forecast and we don't want to drive home. Around 3:30 or 4:00 I get in the elevator to go downstairs and get a beer (too early yet to go to RBar) and who is in the elevator? Nikita Filatov, talking on his cell phone. We get down to the lobby and there is Freddy Modin waiting for him. They walked up to the arena together. Dumb story? Probably. But I thought it was pretty cool.

Old
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
actually, I did, and they didn't look any more physical than any other game. There are games where some of the other teams players are headhunting, but that was not the case n those games. Sometimes you have to let him go out and take a couple hits to get used to the speed and physicality of the NHL, you can't go around trying to protect people all the time.
This kid looked completely lost and out of place for the majority of the time he spent with us.

A kid Filatov's size can't take a couple of hits to get him used to it, he looks like he should be the stick boy out there. His speed and skill are NHL calibre, but his awareness wasn't even close. He needs to be eased into the games and played vs. the proper lines otherwise, our first round pick--the slight guy that he is--could have a very short career.

Hitch would be a total moron not to look out for this kids' best interest and try to protect him the best he can (aka: putting him in a position for success).

Old
08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
Completely off topic and probably irrelevant but here's my Nikita Filatov story. The night of his hat trick (Jan 10?), the wife and I are going to the game but are getting a room at Crowne Plaza because freezing rain is in the forecast and we don't want to drive home. Around 3:30 or 4:00 I get in the elevator to go downstairs and get a beer (too early yet to go to RBar) and who is in the elevator? Nikita Filatov, talking on his cell phone. We get down to the lobby and there is Freddy Modin waiting for him. They walked up to the arena together. Dumb story? Probably. But I thought it was pretty cool.
Not dumb at all. It is great when something like this happens.

Old
08-08-2009, 09:20 PM
BoJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post

*sigh* Most people on this board have seen the evidence to prove your little 'nototrious theory' flat incorrect but I will spell it out for you one more time.

Carter scored 23 goals and played 12:23/night.
Richards: played over 15 minutes
RJ (another rookie who was buried) scored 20 goals and played over 13 minutes a night.
Pitkanen has yet to match his rookie totals and played over 23 minutes...
Not to mention Voracek's 13 minutes a night, playing in the top 6...or Brassard's 15 minutes with time on the top line....or playing Mason until his legs fell off.

Old
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackson View Post
Not to mention Voracek's 13 minutes a night, playing in the top 6...or Brassard's 15 minutes with time on the top line....or playing Mason until his legs fell off.
SHHH! Hitch doesn't play any rookies. Ever. Especially not talented ones. Or young ones. I know this, and you can't use your FACTS to change my mind!

Old
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Like others have said, this is very incorrect. Filitov won't be spoon fed minutes, but he won't play five minutes a night simply because he's a rookie. Voracek is a good example, he had good games and bad games. He saw games in which he played 10 mintues a night, and games in which he broke fifteen, sometimes even seventeen or eighteen minutes. I'm not going to go for an average here, but looking at the game log, it looks like he a median of 12-13 minutes a game.

I think Nikita will fall somewhere in the top nine for most of this year, probably mostly on the third line, unless he beats Voracek for the second-line. In any case, I see Jake getting that first-line opportunity before Filitov does.

Edit: And yes, I'm confident he cracks the line-up.

Closed Thread