HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #15 | Tuesday, Nov. 10th, 7:30PM - Edmonton @ Ottawa - Ottawa wins in SO 4-3!

Old
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Juice*

vCash: 500
murray will wait until the D is sooo bad and we are struggling then over pay for crappy help. thats my opninion.

I was getting so annoyed in my car as i listened to him.

Murray and I clearly are not watching the same team. I think he has assembled one of the worst D cores in the league. If he knew that and was trying to make it better I would be ok with that. He has drafted with that in mind why would he make roster moves up front?

weird

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
This just seems so random.

Of course, but just because Penner ate a horseshoe on top of all of the other mounds of kibble the guy has eaten and it is currently lodged in his ***... doesn't mean he won't eventually pass it and go back to being the lazy, overpaid, 1-way, 40 point player that he is.
totally agree - he'll stuff his face over the holidays and put on 10-15 lbs and that'll be all she wrote

BTW - kibble ? Isn't that for dogs ? :-)

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Murray was on XM radio....he mentioned that he would like to add a forward if he makes a roster move.....has he ****in seen our AHL defence? more forwards? how about a competent top end defenceman....what game is he watching? oh and he said he was quite pleased with the team so far.
The reason why he wants to do this is that the system we're playing is very forward-centric. There's a huge emphasis on rolling 3 or 4 lines hard each game to develop enough pressure to wear any team down. He likely wants to make a move since Cheechoo hasn't panned out. The guy isn't very good in the Top 6, and he lacks the foot speed to bring a real solid energy type game in the bottom 6. He also lacks enough balance to throw a clean body check, and he often puts himself out of position trying to throw himself into the other player.

If there's a spot on the Top 6, then you have to take away some scoring depth from the 3rd line, and having a weak 3rd line isn't ideal for the sort of system we play.

Speaking on the subject of project players though, does anyone think the lines would work better if Neil was put on the 1st line with Spezza and Michalek? Neil is still a better skater than Cheechoo, and he knows how to throw hits and at least cycle the puck in a decent manner. People seem to focus in on Cheechoo's 56 goals scored, but fundamentally I think Neil is the better player right now. It's an idea that might be crazy enough to work.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
MusicTeacher

Quote:
murray will wait until the D is sooo bad and we are struggling then over pay for crappy help. thats my opninion.

Murray and I clearly are not watching the same team. I think he has assembled one of the worst D cores in the league. If he knew that and was trying to make it better I would be ok with that. He has drafted with that in mind why would he make roster moves up front?

weird
My question would be: what is the goal of this season? Back to the playoffs? Deep into the playoff?
How much of the future are you willing to sacrifice for a short-term fix?

If you look at this year, like I do, as a step towards respectability - our D will be fine and improving for the forseeable future. Once our prospects are ready they take over for our current serviceable D with Kuba, Phillips and A-train as the mentors for the rookies.

The problem with our forwards is the depth in the minors is more questionable. Who replaces Alfredsson, and Kovalev? BM needs to think about down the road - we need more Michaleks: the young and improving types.

MusicTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
DaveMatthew

I don't think our D is all that big of a problem. Is it great? No, but I'm fine with a top 3 of Kuba, Phillips and Volchenkov, and Campoli, Lee, Picard and Carkner are all more than capable #5-6 guys. Hopefully one of them becomes a good #4 over the course of the year, otherwise that could be something to look for in a trade, but this idea of getting a top minute guy is farfetched. They're not available.

I'd agree with Murray though that a 2nd line LW is needed. If we could get a guy like Whitney from Carolina, It'd round out our forward corps quite nicely, and allow Kovalev to move back to his regular position of RW.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Whitney - Fisher - Kovalev
Foligno - Regin - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Kanataboy68

I agree with most of you on the need to strengthen our D, but the offence has been a whole lot of nothing this year. All effort and no output.

If I could unload Kelly, Cheechoo, and/or Lee and Picard, I would do all four in heartbeat. Kelly and Cheechoo are not doing anything worth noting. Lee and Picard are fine players, but entirely replaceable.

I think we have options for the first time in a long time, and this is the first time in a long time I have agreed with Murray's standard line that we only need one or two changes.

We need an offensive spark and really someone who will get some scoring out of Spezza. He has been a beast of a skater and loads of fun to watch - dominant. If we could get him scoring and activate the top line offensively, that would be great.

We also have no offensive support from the D. They are all offensive duds, save maybe the odd glimmer from Kuba and Campoli. Karlsson was the only guy moving the puck and skating and when he moved, our offensive depth at the blue line went with him. Notwithstanding the fact that Karlsson should be given time to learn the north american game to have the greater impact we want, we need something better on the point than what we have.

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanataboy68 View Post
I agree with most of you on the need to strengthen our D, but the offence has been a whole lot of nothing this year. All effort and no output.

If I could unload Kelly, Cheechoo, and/or Lee and Picard, I would do all four in heartbeat. Kelly and Cheechoo are not doing anything worth noting. Lee and Picard are fine players, but entirely replaceable.

I think we have options for the first time in a long time, and this is the first time in a long time I have agreed with Murray's standard line that we only need one or two changes.

We need an offensive spark and really someone who will get some scoring out of Spezza. He has been a beast of a skater and loads of fun to watch - dominant. If we could get him scoring and activate the top line offensively, that would be great.

We also have no offensive support from the D. They are all offensive duds, save maybe the odd glimmer from Kuba and Campoli. Karlsson was the only guy moving the puck and skating and when he moved, our offensive depth at the blue line went with him. Notwithstanding the fact that Karlsson should be given time to learn the north american game to have the greater impact we want, we need something better on the point than what we have.
Man o man. Everybody wants Kelly traded. Fine, lets trade him, maybe then you will understand his value and what he brings to the team.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:02 PM
mizza318

Quote:

weird
Yes because we have d man coming up in our system...where as forwards there are none.

Once Volchie is back our D will be fine.

Our D is not losing us games...its the amount of penalties we take at absolutely the worst times. If anything I hate to say it, but its coaching that is loosing us games. The fact that the players cant stay disciplined and focused for 60 minutes is a coaching issue.

Also this constant line juggling is really getting annoying...I like our coach don't get me wrong but he has to figure it out.

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Man o man. Everybody wants Kelly traded. Fine, lets trade him, maybe then you will understand his value and what he brings to the team.
All I can think is that you can get one pretty good player for the 5M in cap space these two take up.

I'd love to keep Kelly at 1M/yr but that isn't the case - and maybe Kelly could earn that salary elsewhere.

Unfortunately I doubt anyone will take these bad contracts.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Kanataboy68

Quote:
Kelly brought something when we needed a 4th line centre and a role player on the PK. Now that Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher and spezza are killing penalties, the value of Kelly has been minimized yet again. He has lead hands and is not making much of a contribution at all.. Again, loads of skating and end to end sprints, but he barely touches the puck.

Old
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Kelly brought something when we needed a 4th line centre and a role player on the PK. Now that Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher and spezza are killing penalties, the value of Kelly has been minimized yet again. He has lead hands and is not making much of a contribution at all.. Again, loads of skating and end to end sprints, but he barely touches the puck.
Kelly and Ruutu have created some good scoring chances thus far while scoring a few big goals this year.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Murray and I clearly are not watching the same team. I think he has assembled one of the worst D cores in the league.
I disagree.
Kuba - _______
Phillips - Volchenkov
______ - Carkner

With any two of Campoli, Picard or Lee in to produce offensively is pretty solid. However, it is predicated on the idea that the top-3 who are expected to play a lot of minutes remain healthy... which they haven't even come close to this season. Playing 2 of 14 games together and who knows what kind of shape Kuba is in right now.

However, the longer they prove incapable of staying healthy... the more we'll have to pick up a Top-4 D-man ASAP.

Quote:
We're 10th in the NHL in scoring, while Kovalev's been underperforming and Cheechoo's managed to turn a great opportunity into zero production. Before we worry about more scoring, how about we give guys like Foligno, Regin and Shannon the same chance that Cheechoo got. Our offense isn't hurting now and if one of those guys doesn't make the most of his chance... well, that timing (a dozen games each) should take us perfectly right into the Trade Deadline.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Shut your yaps.

That’s the message from Senators coach Cory Clouston after his club woke up Monday as the most penalized team in the NHL at 20.2 minutes per game (277 PIMs through 14 games).

TSN’s Pierre McGuire said last week the Senators are whining too much to the officials.

McGuire, who has a perch between the benches during games, said officials can tune out players if they’re constantly complaining.

Whether Clouston agrees with McGuire, the coach told his players in a meeting to show up and shut up.

“If that’s the perception, we have to change that perception,” said Clouston. “If we are perceived (as being mouthy), we have to change that, whether it’s true or not. I don’t think we do anything different, but if the perception is that, we have to make adjustments.

“If that’s our image, we have to turn that around through hard work and just shutting our mouth, maybe to the other extreme. If we are perceived as going one way, we’ll go the other way until it eventually turns around.

“We can’t feel sorry for ourselves. We have to keep working hard, shut our mouths and, hopefully, eventually it will turn around.”
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../11690896.html

good.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Kanataboy68

Quote:
I disagree.

We're 10th in the NHL in scoring, while Kovalev's been underperforming and Cheechoo's managed to turn a great opportunity into zero production. Before we worry about more scoring, how about we give guys like Foligno, Regin and Shannon the same chance that Cheechoo got. Our offense isn't hurting now and if one of those guys doesn't make the most of his chance... well, that timing (a dozen games each) should take us perfectly right into the Trade Deadline.
Fair enough... I question if Foligno or Shannon will contribute much more than they currentrly are, but Regin, on the other hand, might. I liked Foligno when he played on the line with fisher and Regin, but I have not liked what he has contributed since then.

Old
11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
I disagree.
Kuba - _______
Phillips - Volchenkov
______ - Carkner

With any two of Campoli, Picard or Lee in to produce offensively is pretty solid. However, it is predicated on the idea that the top-3 who are expected to play a lot of minutes remain healthy... which they haven't even come close to this season. Playing 2 of 14 games together and who knows what kind of shape Kuba is in right now.

However, the longer they prove incapable of staying healthy... the more we'll have to pick up a Top-4 D-man ASAP.

I think Foligno has had his chance.

Old
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
enviro61

The only problems with our D are staying healthy and chipping offensively. They are playing solid D otherwise and I'ver zero complaints.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Alfredsson11

This was stolen from the Oilers board

stole the lineup from the interview with Comrie. It was behind him on the bulletin board.

Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Pisani-Potulny-Reddox
Moreau-Cogliano-Stortini
Comrie-Brule-Smid

Looks like O'marra could replace Smid and Smid moves back

Old
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I'm here to show my support for Pascal Leclaire.
I'm here for the eclairs.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Gonna be my fourth game of the season, should be a good one. Edmonton always makes for a good opponent and there's been quite a bit of Oilers fans in attendence the last couple games.

GO SENS GO!!

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Have you guys started daylight savings?
Just affects what time I have to tune in at work.

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by senskin View Post
Have you guys started daylight savings?
Just affects what time I have to tune in at work.
yes - game starts 1hr and a half from now.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
yes - game starts 1hr and a half from now.
Legend. Thanks

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Lehner

I hope the lineups are right now.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Fair enough... I question if Foligno or Shannon will contribute much more than they currentrly are, but Regin, on the other hand, might. I liked Foligno when he played on the line with fisher and Regin, but I have not liked what he has contributed since then.
I also question whether another body will solve any problems, when the fact is at this point... Kovalev hasn't even found his place on the team. I could understand looking for another guy if the Top-5 were all set and all of Cheechoo, Foligno, Regin and Shannon were given legitimate (more than a couple shifts of a game) opportunities on offensive lines. But they aren't set yet.

I think Foligno will be a scorer at some point in his career (20-30 goals, 50-ish points). Maybe only for a couple of years, but I think it'll happen. He walks a fine line because he doesn't have great offensive skills. He'll need to score with hockey sense, desire and chemistry. To stay on a scoring line and achieve that, he'll also have to consistently be able to mesh a physical game with offensive abilities to stand out from the crowd (he's had trouble with that).

Quote:
I think Foligno has had his chance.
Cheechoo got a dozen games on a scoring line, I doubt Foligno's opportunity will only last a game or two. He's playing with Fisher and Kovalev tonight, produced fairly well for Clouston in his limited AHL time and late last season. Clouston probably thinks more highly of guys like Foligno and Shannon than many people here.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Lehner

Ruutu should get a shot to play in the top 6. He has been one of our best forwards this season.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote