HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Best of the classic Resident Evil's

View Poll Results: Best set in 1998 resident evil.
Resident Evil 12 30.00%
Resident Evil 2 16 40.00%
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis 6 15.00%
Resident Evil Code: Veronica 6 15.00%
Resident Evil Zero 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

vCash: 500
Best of the classic Resident Evil's

So I've been running through the REmake again and was just curious. What title do you consider the best of the classic or set in 1998 Resident Evil series? 4 and 5 are a pseudo reboot with different mechanics so I'm not talking about those or the other weird merc spinoffs.

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Resident Evil Zero

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I think Veronica is the pinnacle of the RE games in the old style

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

RE2 if only for birkin/G so awesome.

11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
NYRSinceBirth

For some reason, I absolutely loved RE3. RE was basically 1B but I voted Nemesis.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
FLYLine24*

I only really remember RE1. When they all ran into that mansion correct?

I also remember a little from the RE where they started off in the city and make there way into the police station..forget the rest.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
For some reason, I absolutely loved RE3. RE was basically 1B but I voted Nemesis.
I've only played CV once so maybe I underrate it a bit. I Pretty much love 1 and 2 equally. To me 1 had better game play and 2 was better all around.

The team aspects of 0 annoyed me because I hate being responsible for a crappy AI character. Outside of that it was pretty good.

Nemesis was an odd duck to me. It had a few moments I thought were great (the Hospital, RPD revisited) but constantly being chased sort of annoyed me.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Heisenberg77

I loved RE1. I still haven't **** my pants during a game as much as I did when that dog smashed through that mirror in the first...hour or so of the game (not counting the hour of cutscenes to start the game).

"Weskerrrrrrrrr!"

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Zodiac

RE2 was my favorite.

btw, i hate the control in parts 4 (yes, the wii version as well) and 5. they're probably really good games, but the horrible control just ruins it for me.

they should have the control set up like in Dead Space ...that was perfect. they could have at least done something like that for part 5.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Fyi Milla Jovovich is Tweeting from the set of the new Resident Evil movie. Some great insight on the movie making process.

http://twitter.com/millajovovich

Old
11-10-2009, 01:53 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I've only played CV once so maybe I underrate it a bit. I Pretty much love 1 and 2 equally. To me 1 had better game play and 2 was better all around.

The team aspects of 0 annoyed me because I hate being responsible for a crappy AI character. Outside of that it was pretty good.

Nemesis was an odd duck to me. It had a few moments I thought were great (the Hospital, RPD revisited) but constantly being chased sort of annoyed me.
Dude, that's the part of the game that could have given an 11 year old heart attacks (me). The scene where he jumps through the window near the stairs may have stopped my heart for a second. But to each his own I guess. I hated 0 too, agreed with 1&2.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Resident Evil 2 used to scare the crap out of me when I was like 12, and I loved it!

Resi2 for me, then Nemesis.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:23 AM
neofury*

I have to say if RE2 doesn't win by a landslide then most people who voted have simply never played it. Was the most epic one ever.

My faves are RE4 and 2, but 4 isn't the classic style.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
neofury*

By the way, all though I loved CV (it was epic) the controls really held it back for me. I remember the N64 ver of RE2 had a specific control set you could choose that was very good. CV controls just pissed me off, tainted a very good game for me.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Ranger Wolf

Code Veronica (due to the story and length plus it was Dreamcast only for a while) followed closely by RE2 with its two story arcs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I also remember a little from the RE where they started off in the city and make there way into the police station..forget the rest.
That was #2 and it was epic. Claire and Leon are my two favorite characters in the series. Leon gets bonus points because of RE4.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf View Post
Code Veronica (due to the story and length plus it was Dreamcast only for a while) followed closely by RE2 with its two story arcs.

That was #2 and it was epic. Claire and Leon are my two favorite characters in the series. Leon gets bonus points because of RE4.
I agree on Leon & I'll also say that Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is by far my favourite Resident Evil game.

I haven't played RE5 yet though but I've heard mixed things about it.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
calgarySEADOG

vCash: 50
Resident Evil Code: Veronica and Resident Evil 2 for me but I liked Veronica just a tiny bit more.

calgarySEADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Good thread...I literally just passed Resident Evil 3 Nemesis for the first time 15 minutes ago...just finished putting away the gamecube. I've played all of the main series resident evil games now in the past 2 months so there all pretty fresh in my mind. I'd rank them like this.

1) Resident Evil 1: I played the remake for the gamecube and it's definately the scariest of the series...but it's incredibly slow moving. I understand resident evil is all about backtracking but holy **** did it get frustrating after awhile. It took me about 7 years to pass it and I finally gave up and watched a runthrough on youtube 10 minutes at a time But still gets the number 1 spot.

2) Resident Evil 2: Leon is my favourite character in the series mostly because I played 4 before the majority of the others. Plus this game moves forward pretty nicely.

3) Resident Evil code veronica: The first resident evil game I ever played, I had a serious crush on Claire Redfield when I got it

4) Resident Evil Zero: Good game, nice graphics terrible voice overs (like all the other games) very creepy setting but couldn't get over the lack of your everyday resident evil monsters.

5) Resident Evil 3 Nemesis: I liked the return to the Racoon Police Department but found I got a bit confused as to when this all takes place in respect to resident evil 2...was it before or after? I know it's supposed to take place 24 hours before but they just seem to overlap and not that well. Still a pretty good game.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:07 AM
TrentonPwnedFlorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post

5) Resident Evil 3 Nemesis: I liked the return to the Racoon Police Department but found I got a bit confused as to when this all takes place in respect to resident evil 2...was it before or after? I know it's supposed to take place 24 hours before but they just seem to overlap and not that well. Still a pretty good game.
Just to back myself up on this I checked Wikipedia: The first half of the game occurs 24 hours prior to Resident Evil 2 and the second half takes place two days after.

For me its:

RE 3
RE
RE 2
RE Code Veronica
RE 5
RE 4

RE without Zombies is kinda meh to me....But 5 > 4 only based on the fact my fave char is Chris Redfield.

Btw the Resident Evil books written by S. D. Perry are a great read IMO...If you like the games I would definitely recommend giving them a read.

TrentonPwnedFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:12 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I beat RE2 a couple of times as a kid before I found out about the second scenario you could play through.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

just the shear fact that RE was new makes me love it
in a room playing with lights off and surrond sound playing
jumping off my chair when the dogs come crashing through the windows

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Raging Bull

The original RE, for PS1, maybe the directors cut I can't remember which one I first played. The voice acting was so terrible it was great, "Barry......where's. Barry?" Got me hooked on to the series and I've been playing them ever since. The re-make of that for Gamecube was awesome as well.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentonPwnedFlorida View Post
Just to back myself up on this I checked Wikipedia: The first half of the game occurs 24 hours prior to Resident Evil 2 and the second half takes place two days after.

For me its:

RE 3
RE
RE 2
RE Code Veronica
RE 5
RE 4

RE without Zombies is kinda meh to me....But 5 > 4 only based on the fact my fave char is Chris Redfield.

Btw the Resident Evil books written by S. D. Perry are a great read IMO...If you like the games I would definitely recommend giving them a read.

Have you not played Zero?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
That actually makes sense...my thinking throughout the game was that the entire thing took place 24 hours before resident evil 2. Meaning it didn't seem to fit properly.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:28 AM
The Kult

Quote:

For me its:

RE 3
RE
RE 2
RE Code Veronica
RE 5
RE 4

really? you liked 5 more than 4?

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote