HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Rule Change : No more Trapezoid next season?

Old
11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
Rule Change : No more Trapezoid next season?

I read it on an ESPN Ticker recently that the Board of Directors/Governors/whatever are discussing the possible elimination of the Trapezoid next season.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Trapezoid created to Stop Marty Brodeur from playing the puck anywhere on the ice? Or is that something else?

UPDATE : Here is a link for this... http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,201102

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
It's the reason the rule was put into the place. So many goalies can puck handle now though I think GM's want the goalies to be able to do that

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

it was a retarded rule to begin with

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:14 AM
senordevil

Send a message via AIM to senordevil
Here's a pretty good article on possibly getting rid of it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,201102

senordevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Street Hawk

goalie contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
it was a retarded rule to begin with
So, if a goalie comes out to play the puck, what are the rules regarding contact of the goalie?

I'm not in favor of players destroying the goalie and knocking them out for 4-6 weeks. However, I don't think goalies who go play the puck should be protected from contact.

I think some contact with the goalie should be allowed, as long as the forechecker is trying to obtain possession of the puck. But, the forechecker can't come barrelling in and trying to knock the goalie through the glass.

I can imagine how a playoff series would turn if a 4th liner, 5 minute a game guy knocks out a 6 million dollar a year goalie.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The trapezoid was put in to restrict goalie who had superior puckhandling skills, so that a forechecking team would be better able to create scoring chances off a dump in. This change also sped up the game and led to more hitting behind the net, because defencemen had to play the puck themselves. I don't know what the exact stats are, but the rule probably has increased the amount of scoring in the game.

Unfortunately, this has also directly led to injuries, because players are getting hit at high speed and in vulnerable positions when they race to a puck that has been dumped in. This is an issue of player safety, and it needs to stop.

The trapezoid is also a fundamentally flawed rule in my opinion. It restricts a goaltender from using a legitimate hockey skill by making some areas of the ice off limits to him. I don't see why elite puckhandling goalies like Brodeur and Turco should be punished for being able to play the puck, and be forced to play down to the level of other goalies who don't have that skill.

Take the trapezoid out. It was a bad idea to begin with, and it doesn't belong in the game.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
So, if a goalie comes out to play the puck, what are the rules regarding contact of the goalie?

I'm not in favor of players destroying the goalie and knocking them out for 4-6 weeks. However, I don't think goalies who go play the puck should be protected from contact.

I think some contact with the goalie should be allowed, as long as the forechecker is trying to obtain possession of the puck. But, the forechecker can't come barrelling in and trying to knock the goalie through the glass.

I can imagine how a playoff series would turn if a 4th liner, 5 minute a game guy knocks out a 6 million dollar a year goalie.
Goalies would get injured WAY too often if you allowed hits. Unlike skaters, their pads aren't designed to protect against it.

Simple solution: liberal use of the interference penalty on goaltenders who use their bulks to shield the puck behind the net.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post

Never going to happen. Ever. You'd get AHL scrubs out there trying to tip-toe the line as much as they could. Not to mention a lot of the time the goalie has his back to the play when grabbing the puck. Any contact from the forechecker would be from behind on the goalie where he has very little protection,

ex: Brodeur goes out to play the puck. Voros is flying in on the forecheck. As Voros skates by he positions his leg in such a matter that it clips Marty and sends him flying down. You better damn well believe chaos would erupt. I'm fine with a little incidental contact, but anything that happens as a result of a player failing to make a satisfactory attempt at getting out of the way of a the tender needs to be penalized. It was fine before when there was no trapezoid.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
senordevil

Send a message via AIM to senordevil
Does the trapezoid rule apply to any of the other leagues e.g. ahl, college, juniors?

senordevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:28 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Let's be honest here. The trapezoid was the brainchild of a man without much a of a brain: Bob Clarke. His concern was not the integrity, fairness, or popularity of the game. He just wanted to neuter a great talent who played for the main rival of his lame runner-up joke franchise. And because the vast majority of teams don't have a skilled puck-handler in net, they voted for the dumb rule in self interest.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 02:29 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Please get rid of that disgusting thing.

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
EliasFTW

Here i was getting all excited

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

O please let this happen. Time to take the handcuffs off Marty and let him roam free again!

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The trapezoid was put in to restrict goalie who had superior puckhandling skills, so that a forechecking team would be better able to create scoring chances off a dump in. This change also sped up the game and led to more hitting behind the net, because defencemen had to play the puck themselves. I don't know what the exact stats are, but the rule probably has increased the amount of scoring in the game.

Unfortunately, this has also directly led to injuries, because players are getting hit at high speed and in vulnerable positions when they race to a puck that has been dumped in. This is an issue of player safety, and it needs to stop.

The trapezoid is also a fundamentally flawed rule in my opinion. It restricts a goaltender from using a legitimate hockey skill by making some areas of the ice off limits to him. I don't see why elite puckhandling goalies like Brodeur and Turco should be punished for being able to play the puck, and be forced to play down to the level of other goalies who don't have that skill.

Take the trapezoid out. It was a bad idea to begin with, and it doesn't belong in the game.
I've heard Bettman talk on the subject and the intent was as you described, to prevent the goalie from playing the puck on dump-ins which were necessary with the style play most teams used at the time. The thought was this would allow play to stay in the zone longer and create more scoring chances.

Several changes were made to keep play going and create more scoring. They adjusted the amount of space behind the net, moved the blue lines, and changed the tag-up offsides rule.

The problem is in hindsight they see that keeping the goalie in the net actually cut down on creating scoring chances as they very often mishandled the puck in the corners and behind the net, and would be their own worst enemy by giving the puck to the other team, falling down, or just mishandling the puck in general.

With the change in obstruction rules and interference entering the zone without the puck (e.g., the dump-in), the goaltender now doesn't have as much time as the other team can get to the puck unencumbered by the defense trying to hold them up or screen them out of the play.

The trapezoid served a purpose initially under a different rulebook, but now it's simply an outdated leftover in today's NHL. I expect it will get a split vote this year, a little more favorable elimination vote the following year, and so on - and finally be gone right about the time Marty retires. Oh how convenient...

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Cowbell232

This OP of this thread made me .

Yes, the rule was put solely in place for Marty.

Old
11-10-2009, 08:01 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post

I'm sure he means puck moving goalies in general mate. Not two facepalms worthy.

Bob Clarke was a jealous moron. Take away an actual hockey skill, because it's a rare one? ******* that guy is....

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Devilswede

Quote:

Well, he's sort of right. The ones who wanted it the most were Clarke and Sather...wonder why?... And the managers who didn't have a Brodeur or Turco agreed with them. That's why it was put in place.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
The trapezoid served a purpose initially under a different rulebook, but now it's simply an outdated leftover in today's NHL. I expect it will get a split vote this year, a little more favorable elimination vote the following year, and so on - and finally be gone right about the time Marty retires. Oh how convenient...
Exactly - the problem was all of the rules changed at once and this one was just overkill. Eliminate the 2-line pass, bring back touch-up offsides, check! Didn't need the stupid trapezoid after that, but hey! Let's just throw it in there.

Dump and chase hockey is not exciting. But instead of realizing that defenses will ALWAYS find a way to play defense, they insist that the dump and chase is only there because of the "layered trap 1-2-2 progressive whatever non-Devils teams play plus those #@$()* Devils" defense.

Take out that shapely mistake behind the nets and leave the @#$)(* game alone already.

Like I said before, when they start adding "2-point" scoring zones, I'm ****ing done with this game.

CMac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Cowbell232

My two cents?

Make icing no-touch like ECHL/high school crap, unless the goalie comes out of the crease.

That gives teams an option of whether they wish for the goalie to play the puck or not, and you don't get two guys crashing the boards to call off icing.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
I'm sure he means puck moving goalies in general mate. Not two facepalms worthy.
Not worthy at all. For all intents and purposes, it is the Brodeurezoid.

True, it wasnt just Brodeur, but 3 or 4 guys (DP, Turco etc...), but Brodeur was the first that made this skill set famous, and he was better than the rest.

The only reason this stupid rule passed, was that there were 26 or 27 GMs that didnt have an uber-puckhandling goalie, and 3 or 4 that did. So the 26 or 37 banded together to take this advantage away from the 3 or 4 teams that did.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

BTW, in addition to rule changes for "next year" whatever happenend THIS year?

The goalie equipment was supposed to undergo another tinkering this season, and I searched an hour or so of my life away on GOOG this preseason and came up empty.

Did nothing happen? I recall talk that the cheaters were supposed to be shrunk (this NEEDS to happen), in addition to some possible pad and chest protector tweaking.

Does anyone know what (if anything) happened?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

I think I was the first to mention this in the News from around the league thread. I had heard it after the 2nd period of the Hawks-Kings game yesterday on VS. Yay me.

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTIESTEVENS View Post
I think I was the first to mention this in the News from around the league thread. I had heard it after the 2nd period of the Hawks-Kings game yesterday on VS. Yay me.
Actually, I saw it on Puck Daddy yesterday morning and posted it in the News from around the League thread. It's on the first page.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Actually, I saw it on Puck Daddy yesterday morning and posted it in the News from around the League thread. It's on the first page.
Shhhh....

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Why wait until next season? Do it now!

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote