HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Reassign Ryan O'Marra to Springfield

Old
11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
DonovanMD

vCash: 500
Anyone have any links to sites that how breakdowns of games, shifts, faceoffs, etc? I'd like to look closer at how OMarra did.

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Anyone have any links to sites that how breakdowns of games, shifts, faceoffs, etc? I'd like to look closer at how OMarra did.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...0/ES020244.HTM

There you go. He played well, considering he got then just in the nick of time.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...0/ES020244.HTM

There you go. He played well, considering he got then just in the nick of time.
Brule with only 8 minutes of ice time? Strange, wonder why that is? He plays well and needs more ice than that I would think.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Brule with only 8 minutes of ice time? Strange, wonder why that is? He plays well and needs more ice than that I would think.
Exactly, they were talking about this on 1260 this morning. They aren't too sure why Potulny got 17 minutes and Brule only got 8. Brule is highly effective and needs more time. Especially in this time of scoring by commitee.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Exactly, they were talking about this on 1260 this morning. They aren't too sure why Potulny got 17 minutes and Brule only got 8. Brule is highly effective and needs more time. Especially in this time of scoring by commitee.
Makes me wonder if Quinn was saving some guys for today? So he had some mildly fresh bodies.

Plus Potulny, Reddox and Pisani were doing a great job on Spezza's line all night.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:57 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
O'Marra wasn't bad for his first game and from what I understand he barely got there in time for the game.

He's bigger than I thought. He played with some "crust" banging a little. Didn't have very many opportunities to show any skill but it was a good first outing.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
deanmoriarty

I missed the game yesterday, looking forward to seeing O'Marra tonight. It would be nice if he puts it together and develops into an NHL'er because the Smyth trade is looking pretty bad.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
I missed the game yesterday, looking forward to seeing O'Marra tonight. It would be nice if he puts it together and develops into an NHL'er because the Smyth trade is looking pretty bad.
The Smyth trade looks better for us than the Smyth trade that the Isles made(and no I am not referring to their end of the same deal).

Old
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Other Little Mikey

You know, Liam Reddox went through this. Offensive junior player, fell as far as the ECHL where he looked like a write-off until he turned it around and now he's a useful fourth-line NHLer. The only difference is he wasn't a first-round pick and wasn't traded for a high-profile guy. I hope O'Marra can manage that, even if it isn't for our team.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Head back to page 3 and you'll see I posted an analysis of O'Marra's first game shift by shift courtesy of Jonathan Willis

http://my.thescore.com/hockeyordie/a...-by-shift.aspx

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
The Smyth trade looks better for us than the Smyth trade that the Isles made(and no I am not referring to their end of the same deal).
??? What is this supposed to mean? The fact the Avs outbid the Islanders can't really be called a trade, can it?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
The Islanders made the playoffs and dumped two players they didn't want. Looks like they accomplished what they set out to do.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The Islanders made the playoffs and dumped two players they didn't want. Looks like they accomplished what they set out to do.
Yup, it allowed the Islanders to squeak into the playoffs and get eliminated in 5 games. Nilsson, O'Marra, and a first round pick for a player who played for them for a total of 23 games. That, my friend, is exactly what the Islanders wanted to do with that deal. Brilliant bit of managing.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Yup, it allowed the Islanders to squeak into the playoffs and get eliminated in 5 games. Nilsson, O'Marra, and a first round pick for a player who played for them for a total of 23 games. That, my friend, is exactly what the Islanders wanted to do with that deal. Brilliant bit of managing.
I think it is fair to say the Islanders thought they had a very good chance at re-signing Smyth. By many reports they offered him a bit more money than what he signed for with the Avs and they also offered to give him the captaincy. They pushed really hard to re-sign him.

Also if I recall they were already in and/or hovering around a playoff spot at the time of the trade. So it was not like that trade made it this amazing slam dunk or surge into the post season. They could have fairly easily not made the playoffs that season even with Smyth. I mean they got the last playoff spot with 1 single point lead. That seems to be forgotten when people talk about the results of the Smyth trade.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
??? What is this supposed to mean? The fact the Avs outbid the Islanders can't really be called a trade, can it?
Exactly so lack there of. If the Oilers didn't trade Smyth for that package, we would ahve had the same thing happen to us that happened to the Isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Regardless of what happened to the players the Oilers got, they set out to do exactly what they wanted. Get something for a player they were going to loose to FA.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I think it is fair to say the Islanders thought they had a very good chance at re-signing Smyth. By many reports they offered him a bit more money than what he signed for with the Avs and they also offered to give him the captaincy. They pushed really hard to re-sign him.

Also if I recall they were already in and/or hovering around a playoff spot at the time of the trade. So it was not like that trade made it this amazing slam dunk or surge into the post season. They could have fairly easily not made the playoffs that season even with Smyth. I mean they got the last playoff spot with 1 single point lead. That seems to be forgotten when people talk about the results of the Smyth trade.
Agreed, Oilerdiehard, but they didn't. I was commenting on DSF's statement, "Looks like they [the Islanders] accomplished what they set out to do [with the trade for Smyth]." My point is that the Islanders stuck their organizational neck on the line with the Smyth deal, and the axeman came. The Islanders wound up with 61 points in 82 games the following season after the Smyth trade. The were lucky enough to win the lottery and draft Tavares, but to say they accomplished what they set out to do, from my stand point anyhow, is a little ridiculous.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

So is Ryan O'Marra being given a chance to make the team or is this just an emergency call up?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
So is Ryan O'Marra being given a chance to make the team or is this just an emergency call up?
He's a callup, and with Hemsky probable, one of the callups will be coming out of the lineup. Money is on O'Marra, but IMO he's a better candidate than Ryan Potulny to center the 4th line.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
He's a callup, and with Hemsky probable, one of the callups will be coming out of the lineup. Money is on O'Marra, but IMO he's a better candidate than Ryan Potulny to center the 4th line.
Long-term, hopefully, right now I'd say no. Potulny's slow but he's smart, he knows where to go. Plus he has a decent shot, always a bonus. I think this is good, give O'Marra a little taste to keep his confidence up and show him he still has some work to do, hopefully he keeps improving in Springfield.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
O'Marra has already been reassigned!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
O'Marra has already been reassigned!
Where is the news of this? I would assume that Reddox will be out from last game and if O'Marra has been reassigned then I would assume that Horc is a go for sunday?

Old
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Where is the news of this? I would assume that Reddox will be out from last game and if O'Marra has been reassigned then I would assume that Horc is a go for sunday?
From Oilers twitter (updated 32 minutes ago):

# #Oilers have re-assigned Ryan O'Marra to Springfield (AHL)

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
From Oilers twitter (updated 32 minutes ago):

# #Oilers have re-assigned Ryan O'Marra to Springfield (AHL)
Ya I just heard them say it on 1260. So can we assume that Horc or Stone is good to go for Sunday?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Ya I just heard them say it on 1260. So can we assume that Horc or Stone is good to go for Sunday?
Or Nilsson.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Or Nilsson.

Why did you remind me. I almost forgot he was on the team.