HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Ilkka Pikkarainen

Old
11-11-2009, 02:38 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

vCash: 500
Fine, if everyone is so darn merciful, lemme bring the Pikachu hate...

Every franchise has grinders stacked like cord wood and as grinders go Pika is largely a waste of roster space.

I thought Tim Sestito out hustled, out hit and out grinded Pikachu by a hundred miles and it wasn't even funny. And Zharkov would do the same.

If we need Andrew Peters to make Pikachu look good by comparison, then there is nothing left to say.

He is teh suck.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
but... but... he's a great teammate.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post

Every franchise has grinders stacked like cord wood and as grinders go Pika is largely a waste of roster space.

I thought Tim Sestito out hustled, out hit and out grinded Pikachu by a hundred miles and it wasn't even funny. And Zharkov would do the same.

If we need Andrew Peters to make Pikachu look good by comparison, then there is nothing left to say.

He is teh suck.
I'm not being merciful, I'm just giving him a chance. If he didn't show any improvement by now, I would support the idea of burying him in Lowell, but he's gotten much better.

Also, I was a Zharkov fan before it was cool, but I think he's becoming very overrated on these boards. I believe he has solid NHL potential, but he's not that much better than Pikka or Pelley...yet. Watch a few Lowell games online if you get a chance. Zharkov is good forchecker, he works his ass off every night, and he has a decent amount of skill. He's the ideal 3rd line checking winger. If you think he's going to go out there and hit everything that moves, you haven't seen him play much.

Sestito was awesome against Ottawa, but consider the circumstances. He got called up because of injuries. Once Patty and Nieds get back, there isn't going to be any room for him. He knows that, and he's going to do whatever he can to try and stick with the big club. I highly doubt you'll be seeing that kind of performance from him every night.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhoppers0809 View Post
he was a 20+ goal scorer over in Finland he impressed me in a few games but is he worth keeping around...should we send him down to Lowell or keep him up here and see what he can do?

plus he has the best name by far

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:

He is teh suck.
Pikk is much bigger and stronger than Sestito and Zharkov, he brings a different element to the team. Plus he does have a heavy shot.
He does not get enough ice time to showcase his talents. Pikk could be a decent 3rd line grinding RW in time.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

LOL. Who isn't a 20 goal scorer in Euro hockey? I bet he could have been a 50 goal scorer in California Roller Hockey too.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
LOL. Who isn't a 20 goal scorer in Euro hockey? I bet he could have been a 50 goal scorer in California Roller Hockey too.
In the past 10 seasons, the leading goal scorer in the Finnish league hasn't scored more than 34 goals.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
I trust Lou and Conte's analysis and they both felt Pikk can help the team.
They are not expecting 20 goals, but with the right ice time 10 goals and good corner play is not out of the question from Pikk.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

I was speaking to the level of competition over there compared to the NHL and jesting at the presumption people make that individual success is completely mobile regardless of the team/league/skills/game style.

Old
11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
I was speaking to the level of competition over there compared to the NHL and jesting at the presumption people make that individual success is completely mobile regardless of the team/league/skills/game style.
The Finnish League is still a professional league. 20 goals over there >>>>>> 20 goals in the AHL. I don't think anyone expects 20 goals from him this year. That stat just proves that he has some offensive potential.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Big#D

I'll never understand all the Pikkarainen hatred here. What are people expecting of him? He's not the next David Clarkson. He's not going to be a tough fighter type.

He's essentially a fill in for Mike Rupp.

He'll come out every night and fill a few minutes on the bottom line and try not to **** up and occassionally contribute something to the team. They call them grinders for a reason.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

He has size, he hits and only played about 15 games or so in a different league with a smaller ice surface, let's not panic over here. Like many mentionned already, I rather see Peters or Pelley get the axe before him. He didn't look that bad when he got paired with "the big boyz" a couple of games ago, so he's a lot more valuable then you think. He won't rack up the points put he can give you pretty solid minutes for a 4th liner. The guy is replacing Rupp... not Gionta !!!

He's our best player on that 4th line...

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
FEL is quite low-scoring league. I don't really know much about Pikkarainen, tho, never seen him as a goalscorer.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
Pikk is much bigger and stronger than Sestito and Zharkov, he brings a different element to the team. Plus he does have a heavy shot.
He does not get enough ice time to showcase his talents. Pikk could be a decent 3rd line grinding RW in time.
He is bigger and stronger, but rarely lines up his hits. He destroys the boards, I'll give you that.

He does have a heavy shot, but uses it rarely and usually from outside the circle, where it is relatively harmless. And he seems to lack offensive instincts. Both Sestito and Zharkov showed much more nose for the net and willingness to get dirty.

The last thing I'd like to see is more icetime for Pikachu, unless what you most want to see is more light agitation after play has stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
I'll never understand all the Pikkarainen hatred here. What are people expecting of him? He's not the next David Clarkson. He's not going to be a tough fighter type.

He's essentially a fill in for Mike Rupp.

He'll come out every night and fill a few minutes on the bottom line and try not to **** up and occassionally contribute something to the team. They call them grinders for a reason.
Mike Rupp took the body much more effectively, and very importantly was also willing to fight, including against heavyweights, whereas Pikachu will not drop the gloves. Rupp's impact as a 4th liner >>> Pikachu.

And as a player Mike Rupp was versatile, playing both center or wing with some skill. And he could cycle the puck effectively, which Pika cannot even remotely. (Watching him during rare PP minutes is just painful for this reason.)

Not only is he not the next David Clarkson, or the next Mike Rupp. He is not even the next Rod Pelley.

Old
11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
He is bigger and stronger, but rarely lines up his hits. He destroys the boards, I'll give you that.

He does have a heavy shot, but uses it rarely and usually from outside the circle, where it is relatively harmless. And he seems to lack offensive instincts. Both Sestito and Zharkov showed much more nose for the net and willingness to get dirty.

The last thing I'd like to see is more icetime for Pikachu, unless what you most want to see is more light agitation after play has stopped.

Mike Rupp took the body much more effectively, and very importantly was also willing to fight, including against heavyweights, whereas Pikachu will not drop the gloves. Rupp's impact as a 4th liner >>> Pikachu.

And as a player Mike Rupp was versatile, playing both center or wing with some skill. And he could cycle the puck effectively, which Pika cannot even remotely. (Watching him during rare PP minutes is just painful for this reason.)

Not only is he not the next David Clarkson, or the next Mike Rupp. He is not even the next Rod Pelley.
You've obviously never seen Zharkov play (except for maybe pre-season). He's not a big hitter either. He's a good forchecker and he's always hustling, but he doesn't play a real physical game. He's like Pando with a little more offensive upside.

And again, Sestito played well against Ottawa, but that's one game. He played with a ton of energy, but that doesn't make him better than Pikka by any stretch of the imagination. He was playing with a ton of energy when he flew across the ice and took out Halischuk in the preseason game against the Flyers too. He has his flaws.

Pelley hasn't been anything special either so I don't know how you can justify saying that he's better than Pikka. Even if he is, it's not by much.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
You've obviously never seen Zharkov play (except for maybe pre-season). He's not a big hitter either. He's a good forchecker and he's always hustling, but he doesn't play a real physical game. He's like Pando with a little more offensive upside.

And again, Sestito played well against Ottawa, but that's one game. He played with a ton of energy, but that doesn't make him better than Pikka by any stretch of the imagination. He was playing with a ton of energy when he flew across the ice and took out Halischuk in the preseason game against the Flyers too. He has his flaws.

Pelley hasn't been anything special either so I don't know how you can justify saying that he's better than Pikka. Even if he is, it's not by much.
I'd take Pando with a little more offensive upside in a heartbeat. I am well aware Zharkov is not a banger, but he has that non-stop engine that makes for a true New Jersey Devil. If in either event all we get is a pest, I'd take that one over the more physical guy that doesn't really use it to anyone's advantage.

Sestito impressed in his one game. That makes one more game impressing than all of Pika's to date. And he actually hit people. And was involved in numerous scoring chances. I'm sure he has flaws, but at least he was flying out there. Would like to see that a second time.

So far Pika has passed one puck to Smurphy, that's it.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

Quote:
...and taken 3 minor penalties.

Old
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
this is some brodeurian grade hatin' shakin down. woo child.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
I'd take Pando with a little more offensive upside in a heartbeat. I am well aware Zharkov is not a banger, but he has that non-stop engine that makes for a true New Jersey Devil. If in either event all we get is a pest, I'd take that one over the more physical guy that doesn't really use it to anyone's advantage.

Sestito impressed in his one game. That makes one more game impressing than all of Pika's to date. And he actually hit people. And was involved in numerous scoring chances. I'm sure he has flaws, but at least he was flying out there. Would like to see that a second time.

I'm willing to bet that Zharkov is going to get bashed for a brief period when he makes it to the NHL. People are setting the bar waaaay too high for him. As of this moment, he's not that much better than Pikka. I believe he has a future with this organization, but give him some time in Lowell. This is only his second season in North America.

If you haven't noticed a drastic improvement in Pikka's offensive game, I don't know what you've been watching the past couple of games. He's had a couple of legit scoring opportunities. He's finding his groove. I'm sure he'll be a much better player by the time we hit that 40 game mark. If he isn't, I'll be calling for him to get waived too. For now though, be patient.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I scored 20+ goals in Finland.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
I scored 20+ goals in Finland.
Clearly, you've never been to Raleigh Finland.

Old
11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Id say pikkarainen has the NHL potential in him, he just needs to get enough time on ice to prove it.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave407 View Post
Id say pikkarainen has the NHL potential in him, he just needs to get enough time on ice to prove it.
With all these injuries, I am sure that won't be a problem.

Harrison Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:35 PM
EnglishDevil

I've actually been quite content with Pikkarainens performances. He has some potential for certain, but at the moment i don't want to see him be more than a fourth liner.

I'm hoping the lines when everyone is healthy look something along the lines of :

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors/Langenbrunner
Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors/Langenbrunner
Rolston-Niedermayer-Clarkson
Pandolfo-Pelley/Peters-Pikkarainen/Leblond

I definately want Pikkarainen to stick around and get some ice time though, he seems like he has potential, he just needs to keep improving and i'll be happy

EnglishDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
I've actually been quite content with Pikkarainens performances. He has some potential for certain, but at the moment i don't want to see him be more than a fourth liner.

I'm hoping the lines when everyone is healthy look something along the lines of :

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors/Langenbrunner
Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors/Langenbrunner
Rolston-Niedermayer-Clarkson
Pandolfo-Pelley/Peters-Pikkarainen/Leblond

I definately want Pikkarainen to stick around and get some ice time though, he seems like he has potential, he just needs to keep improving and i'll be happy
Oh snap...Brit's got competition.