HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Okposo: diagnosed with H1N1

Old
11-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
Really? I haven't met anyone that has died from swine flu. This is supposed to be 1919 all over again....
Thankfully, we're not ending a World War, where military bases, refuge camps, etc., were the great incubator of a disease that hit humans and mutated in 1919. At a time when food supplies were low, medical care was limited, and there were no vaccinations.

The better infection control is, the less dangerous this flu will be - not just because the flu will infect less people, but because with less infections, it will have less opportunity to evolve further into something extremely lethal. It's already more lethal than seasonal flus to demos not generally at risk for death. That's why they're so worried. I'm not a doctor, btw, but my best friend is (a pediatrician with a masters in public health), and my information comes from him.

Medical profs are worried about what H1N1 is now... But they're terrified about what it could potentially turn into. If we look back 5 years, and we think that the whole thing was overhyped, well, then that means that public health officials *and* the media did their jobs appropriately.

My family changed our plan to put our daughter into daycare at 6 mo. so my wife could go back to work because of vulnerability + the likelihood that the shot version of the vaccine is not widely available (or administered if it is available).

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
blackmesa

Quote:
If you don't fit into those age groups you are fine.
And how many times have to heard the media say that? They are too focused on the "Holy crap you're gonna die!!!" angle.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
And how many times have to heard the media say that? They are too focused on the "Holy crap you're gonna die!!!" angle.
Can you blame them? Media matches hype with hype... They're trying to counter the 'vaccinations will ruin your brain' hype.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
DenTone

Any chance Kyle goes to IR and they call up someone??

DenTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
GilliesGirlie

so, they think I have H1N1 too.

this sucks!!

Old
11-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
so, they think I have H1N1 too.

this sucks!!
Feel Better!!!!!

11-12-2009, 05:33 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

I also may in fact have H1N1.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Sheesh, can you catch this thing through the internet?

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:46 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

"Kyle Okposo is in Carolina and hopes to skate with the team this morning. Id never be smart enough to figure all this out. On Monday, Kyle practiced with the Islanders. On Tuesday, he was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus. On Thursday he was on a plane to Raleigh and today hell be with the team. Is there a doctor on the blog?"

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

No way could he really play tonight? Maybe he was misdiagnosed? Really wouldn't be to surprised, the islanders medical staff seems to screw a lot of things up.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4morecups View Post
"Kyle Okposo is in Carolina and hopes to skate with the team this morning. Id never be smart enough to figure all this out. On Monday, Kyle practiced with the Islanders. On Tuesday, he was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus. On Thursday he was on a plane to Raleigh and today hell be with the team. Is there a doctor on the blog?"

No way could he really play tonight? Maybe he was misdiagnosed? Really wouldn't be to surprised, the islanders medical staff seems to screw a lot of things up.
On the Left Coast, we're being told "if you have flu now, it's H1N1" because the normal seasonal flu hasn't made an appearance yet. The severity really varies. My neighbour's teenage son is so sick with H1N1 he can't even play MW2 - that's sick. Sounds like Kyle's wasn't as severe as it could have been.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:49 AM
GilliesGirlie

Yea this whole H1N1 **** is crazy, I'm sick with a headache, sore throat, cough, and nausea. Called the doctor, said that they WILL NOT see me in the office. They said if I should have a fever over 102.3 I need to go to the ER, other than that stay in bed.

So, I don't know what the hell I have all I know is I'm so freakin' tired!!! So many bugs have been going around my school and little kids love to sneeze and hack in your face, so it could be anything.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Dan-o16

Well, I hope all of you who are sick get better fast. I'm tempted to say, "get your fluids and electrolytes." If it makes you feel better to give me the virtual finger for being stupid and obvious, by all means...

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4morecups View Post

haha, I loved this quote

Quote:
ken on Nov 13th, 2009 08:09:36 said:
kyle is such a beast, I think its more like the swine flu had a case of kyle okposo.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:49 AM
BEB595

What are the lines looking like tonight if Okposo is in? This is what I would like to see:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bergenheim-Nielson-Hunter
Tambellini-Bailey-Comeau
Sim-Park-Jackman

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
ken on Nov 13th, 2009 08:09:36 said:
kyle is such a beast, I think its more like the swine flu had a case of kyle okposo.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH i like that, cracked me up

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:29 AM
CREW99AW

I have to admit,I questioned the team's decision to bring Okposo back so quick.
However,he's stepped right back in an contributed.

2 games,2 big goals

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
tooproforyou

do you guys have an update on weight's status? how come he wasn't put on IR?

tooproforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Toujin

Piggy flu is pretty nasty, but KO is a pretty tough dude, so hopefully he'll be back in the mix soon. It's spreading pretty quick over here in Japan, and it's ravaging some of the schools I teach at. Kids are out from piggy flu every day, and many times, they've closed school early, or sent entire classes home. At my last school, a class of 7th graders and a class of 8th graders are home for a week cuz so many students have it.

Be careful guys, especially if you're around kids all the time like me and SBatesSBergenheim. Still going strong though..here's to hoping the piggies don't get me!

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:00 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
Piggy flu is pretty nasty, but KO is a pretty tough dude, so hopefully he'll be back in the mix soon. It's spreading pretty quick over here in Japan, and it's ravaging some of the schools I teach at. Kids are out from piggy flu every day, and many times, they've closed school early, or sent entire classes home. At my last school, a class of 7th graders and a class of 8th graders are home for a week cuz so many students have it.

Be careful guys, especially if you're around kids all the time like me and SBatesSBergenheim. Still going strong though..here's to hoping the piggies don't get me!

The cure is very easy, you just need Emeril Lagasse and a pan full of bacon.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Toujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
The cure is very easy, you just need Emeril Lagasse and a pan full of bacon.

I LOL'D Thank you, good sir!

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote