HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ABC and the NHL suck

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Snakeeye

vCash: 500
ABC and the NHL suck

According to the Score, BOTH conference final game ones will be on at the same time...

You guessed it, 3:00 ET on Saturday.

Bettman can go to hell. :mad:

Old
05-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
NHL needs to have their own network

give it free to the world

have somone from HNIC and TSN make the shows

and watch the game explode in popularity world wide

Old
05-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way

Novel idea, except ABC/ESPN is only network pumping any money into the league. Like it or not, what they say goes.

Old
05-04-2004, 07:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Ugh, I'm working

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
The Jesterís Quart: An Unprovoked Attack on ESPNís Announcing Crew
By Greg Wyshynski

Friday, April 30, 2004

A year ago, I wrote a column that remains one of the most well-read and well-received pieces in the seven-year history of The Jesterís Quart.

This year, after viewing a round and a half of hockey coverage on ESPN and ESPN2 (which is like ESPN, but one better), it is as a public service that I now revisit that rant.

Last edited by Sotnos: 05-04-2004 at 06:21 PM. Reason: please give a link and only quote a paragraph or two from an online article, thanks
Old
05-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
According to the Score, BOTH conference final game ones will be on at the same time...

Gary Bettman---> :bonk: :beatup:

How can they put BOTH games on at the same time and during the day! :mad: Just friggin' stupid. One should be at night because of Hockey Night in Canada. They didn't realize that the Flames are in the WCF's and so could be Toronto. This is a bad move...

Old
05-04-2004, 11:13 AM
MLH

Quote:
As I said before, hockey is about pain, power, violence and brutality. Darren Pang looks like a figure skater. Do you want Scott Hamilton doing the color commentary of Game 7 of the conference finals? You got him!

Ex-goalie Pang is such a playersí guy, itís impossible for him to give a negative opinion about any of them. Heís the Paula Abdul of "Hockey Idol." Heís so full of fluff, you could throw him out of the upper deck and heíd float gently to the ice. HmmmmÖsounds like something for Physics Day 2005Ö
My favorite thing about Pang is the random moans of excitement/relief he belts out when anything close to exciting happens.

Levy: The Wings may have gotten away with a break there, as Hatcher had lost his stick
Panger (in the background): Ohhhhhhhh

Levy: Right through the goal crease!
Panger: Doahhhhhhhhhhh

Old
05-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Terrier

I'm an American and I can't stand it either! I'll watch any game I can, but I despise afternoon playoff games. Sticking these games on a Saturday afternoon when CBC, unless I'm mistaken, has no hockey to carry for the third straight Saturday night. If I were commissioner I would can ABC and just leave it all to ESPN, which will carry the games at the correct hours.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
There are some good points to the ESPNís NHL announcing crew. John Saunders is a professional (read: boring in a good way) studio host. I pray at the altar of John Buccigross, because heís not just a guy you want to have a beer with; heís the guy youíre laughing with after you trick another buddy into paying for all the beer that night. Ray "Chicken Parm" Ferarro is an ex-player who doesnít pull punchesÖsort of a poor manís Tom Tolbert.
Last thing first, a Tom Tolbert comparison is a death sentence. First thing last, Buccigross relies way to heavily on catchphrases and his shtick is growing old fast.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:32 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
This is total BS.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

You guys are a bunch of idiots if you haven't yet realised that in a multi-billion dollar business, money talks and bull**** walks. Whoever suggested a "free" network must be living in a fantasy land where distribution companies (Comcast, Rogers, DirecTV, etc.) don't exist. As long as ABC is paying the bills they will get to dictate TV times. The whining about Gary Bettman as if this is something he decides personally is also pretty hilarious, but unfortunately not unexpected.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:39 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
You guys are a bunch of idiots if you haven't yet realised that in a multi-billion dollar business, money talks and bull**** walks. Whoever suggested a "free" network must be living in a fantasy land where distribution companies (Comcast, Rogers, DirecTV, etc.) don't exist. As long as ABC is paying the bills they will get to dictate TV times. The whining about Gary Bettman as if this is something he decides personally is also pretty hilarious, but unfortunately not unexpected.
But these rants go on every day, just replace ABC with officiating or Gary Bettman with Don Cherry or whoever. Everyone's a conspiracy theorist.

ABC is as free as it'll get, CBC doesn't really count unless you live close to the US-Canadian border. I look at it as any NHL hockey on tv is better than none all.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Terrier

At least we can be thankful that the Stanley Cup playoffs aren't drawn out like they are in the NBA. The basketball playoffs take forever, and they've had only one Game 6. Even hoop writers are branding this a joke.

From the NY Daily News:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-164337c.html

Old
05-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Gary Bettman---> :bonk: :beatup:

How can they put BOTH games on at the same time and during the day! :mad: Just friggin' stupid. One should be at night because of Hockey Night in Canada. They didn't realize that the Flames are in the WCF's and so could be Toronto. This is a bad move...
The NHL could not care less about Canada. We're guaranteed ratings and popularity. Thus, we've been sold out to American interests who treat the NHL as a 4th rate sport with a 5th rate time slot.

The worst part is the decision to broadcast both games at the same time. The ECF can start at 3:00ET, but what is wrong with starting the WCF at 3:00PT? Hopefully the NHL comes to its senses on this one.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Dr Love

Quote:

And who is going to watch it? More specifically, who is going to pick it up? They already have a NHL channel in Canada (someone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there a NHL Network in Canada?), so what we're talking about is one in America. And what we're talking about is American cable and satellite providers picking it up. The NFL--the most popular sport in America--launched it's own network this year. The only provider that picked it up from the get go was DirecTV, which has a whopping 11 million viewers (although I highly recommend DirecTV, but I digress). It was picked up by a cable provider in mid-season, but only gained about 4-6 million households. The number of households that will recieve NFL Network will in time go up, but that isn't certain and who knows how long it will be for that to come to fruition. If the most popular sport in America is struggling to find providers for their network, then the NHL will be extremely hard pressed to find any.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
And who is going to watch it? More specifically, who is going to pick it up? They already have a NHL channel in Canada (someone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there a NHL Network in Canada?), so what we're talking about is one in America. And what we're talking about is American cable and satellite providers picking it up. The NFL--the most popular sport in America--launched it's own network this year. The only provider that picked it up from the get go was DirecTV, which has a whopping 11 million viewers (although I highly recommend DirecTV, but I digress). It was picked up by a cable provider in mid-season, but only gained about 4-6 million households. The number of households that will recieve NFL Network will in time go up, but that isn't certain and who knows how long it will be for that to come to fruition. If the most popular sport in America is struggling to find providers for their network, then the NHL will be extremely hard pressed to find any.
Yes, we do have a NHL Network in Canada. I don't really know the numbers or ratings it gets, but I wil say this: having to show free segments on TSN (a brother or sister station of the NHL Network, it's all under the same conglomerate anyways) to entice viewers to order it (it's not a basic cable service) means it is having some problems attracting large viewership. The problem is that it's very selective programming, and if it doesn't fly high in Canada, it probably won't fly at all in the States.

I completely agree with you. Having a NHL Network in America would prove pretty fruitless, unless a way can be found to mass market it and make it appeal to a wide audience. And if the NFL is having a hard time doing that, the NHL would have a near-impossible task at hand.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
The problem is that most people have no clue as to how business actually works in the real world, and think running the NHL is like a cross between NHL 2K4 and Sim Golf. For instance, check out any of the "CBA proposal" threads that show up in the Business of Hockey board, which are laughably simplistic compared to what a real CBA looks like (my father was his union shop steward during one of their CBA negociations, and their CBA is almost certainly less complicated than the NHL one).

Old
05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
The problem is that most people have no clue as to how business actually works in the real world, and think running the NHL is like a cross between NHL 2K4 and Sim Golf. For instance, check out any of the "CBA proposal" threads that show up in the Business of Hockey board, which are laughably simplistic compared to what a real CBA looks like (my father was his union shop steward during one of their CBA negociations, and their CBA is almost certainly less complicated than the NHL one).
I've read enough over the season to know exactly what you're talking about. You should also check out every thread that complains about ABC/ESPN, they're just as bad and just as repetitive. The problem is that very few people who have "grand" ideas know what the hell they are talking about.

Old
05-04-2004, 06:23 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
and think running the NHL is like a cross between NHL 2K4 and Sim Golf.
That's the funniest analogy I've read a long time. :lol

Old
05-04-2004, 06:25 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
One should be at night because of Hockey Night in Canada. They didn't realize that the Flames are in the WCF's and so could be Toronto. This is a bad move...
Both West and East Game 1 will be in a US city, therefore the start time will be set to benefit US TV networks. Unfortunately those dumbasses think a 12:00 noon Pacific start time is best on a Saturday. You can't convince me that San Jose and Calgary players (assuming SJ beats Colorado) enjoy playing an important playoff game at lunch time.

When the games are in Canada, they will start at a normal time.

Old
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Both West and East Game 1 will be in a US city, therefore the start time will be set to benefit US TV networks. Unfortunately those dumbasses think a 12:00 noon Pacific start time is best on a Saturday. You can't convince me that San Jose and Calgary players (assuming SJ beats Colorado) enjoy playing an important playoff game at lunch time.

When the games are in Canada, they will start at a normal time.
During last Saturday's San Jose-Colorado game Ron Wilson said he and his players like the early start time so they don't have to wait around all day with nervous energy.

You can't please everyone and that goes with all things in life. Unfortunately we've become a society of whiners that want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Old
05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
You can't please everyone and that goes with all things in life. Unfortunately we've become a society of whiners that want everything handed to them on a silver platter.
Amen to that

Old
05-07-2004, 07:54 PM
HFXMooseHabs

I hate afternoon games! **** whoever came up with the concept in the first place! What does ABC have on Saturday night that's so important? A rerun of According to Jim?

Old
05-07-2004, 08:15 PM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye

as far as i know game 1 of the sharks vs flames is still scheduled for sunday at 4 eastern. any other sources announce a time change yet?

Old
05-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Sotnos

No, there's no change. Before this confuses anyone else with false info, I'm closing it.

Closed Thread