HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Confidence problems

Old
11-11-2009, 09:22 AM
germanative

vCash: 500
Confidence problems

I have a confidence problem. I never think it could happen to me.

I'm 25 and I always played hockey. I played the best teams in my area until Junior AA (Quebec). I played with and against several players who have reached the Q, some in the AHL and 1 in the NHL. I haven't played much these last two years, and now I play more often it seems that I lost my game.

Last night I played for the first time in the big league in my city, with guys that I played during my minor hockey.

I play a high risk style. I'm an offensive d-man and my vision allowed and my speed me to take chances. I lost my bearings now, I'm still a fraction of a second behind. I tried to keep a simple game, but I had difficulty as ever, especially since I'm not the best stay-at-home d-man.

Psychological problem in relation to confidence or I just lost the game and I should perhaps consider another sport. Thank you for helping me!

germanative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This is a hard thing to say exactly, but play more to get your confidence back? In the meantime, do drills off ice. One of my favorite is stickhandling with your eyes closed while jumping on one foot. Anyway, good luck.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Steelhead16

Maybe try breaking it down and concentrate mostly on the defensive part of your game. If you have always relied on speed to make up for mistakes and you think maybe you have lost a step (either in your head or your legs) staying at home may get your head back in a better place. Or maybe you can change your game and be defensive first and add some offense instead of the other way around. Start by doing something well and then add a piece at a time until you feel like you did before or you feel better about your "new game".
I'm actually dealing with this with my son right now. His coach last year would sit the kids if they made a mistake and now he is so scared to make a mistake that he's frozen out there sometimes. He's a defenseman also but I am thinking about moving him to wing just to change everything.

Steelhead16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
EmptyNetter

A few ideas. . .

If you're rusty now and having confidence problems you might try stepping down a level. As you play at a slower speed make sure you work on the defensive end of your game -- this is the time to learn your position better. Barring any injury problems you can likely play for another 25 years though IDK if you'll always be able to play at the elite level you're used to. When your natural speed starts to fall off you'll need to do things like limit your range (as you pinch), be extra aware of the floaters behind you and anticipate the breakout passes to them.

There's always going to be a competitive level that suits you. As you age and maybe have less time to devote to fitness (because of work, family, etc) you might not be able to stay at the level you were at but there's no reason to stop playing.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
CanadaBacon

Why would you try another sport exactly?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Why would you try another sport exactly?
I know when I started playing, each shift was as brutal as the next. I was getting stripped of the puck, not being able to catch a pass, etc., and each time I returned to the bench, I kept telling myself to change sports, that hockey is way too hard/embarrassing. Yep. Now I'm scoring goals and chirping, the two signs of confidence .

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Ragss

Its just one game, man. For a few games just stick to the simple plays and it'll all start to come back to you.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
StrykerB

You're at that age! It happens to a lot of players that stop playing; usually because of just starting to work a full time job, or because you moved out of the house and are now on your own with not enough money to play on a regular basis, or out boozing looking to get lucky, or just got burnt out from playing.

Whatever it may be, keep playing. It will come back. Take chances, like rushing the puck.....but take baby steps. You'll be back in the game before you know it.

Doesn't help if you got guys on the team that ***** at you because you got broken up on a rush though.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:45 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I know when I started playing, each shift was as brutal as the next. I was getting stripped of the puck, not being able to catch a pass, etc., and each time I returned to the bench, I kept telling myself to change sports, that hockey is way too hard/embarrassing. Yep. Now I'm scoring goals and chirping, the two signs of confidence .
Im glad you stuck with it. Even if you are the worst player ever, the game is just too fun to give up on.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 09:57 PM
WDR357

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
You're at that age! It happens to a lot of players that stop playing; usually because of just starting to work a full time job, or because you moved out of the house and are now on your own with not enough money to play on a regular basis, or out boozing looking to get lucky, or just got burnt out from playing.

Whatever it may be, keep playing. It will come back. Take chances, like rushing the puck.....but take baby steps. You'll be back in the game before you know it.

Doesn't help if you got guys on the team that ***** at you because you got broken up on a rush though.
BINGO!!! And just wait until you hit about early to mid 30's and your athletic ability starts to shift down a notch! At your age you can certainly get back to a very competitive level of play with practice. What you're experiencing happens to pretty much everyone that steps away at one point or another.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Go play pick up and have fun. Inferior competition/fun does a lot of good for confidence, just don't get comfortable in that kind of game. Play a few times to get the rust off, your head back in it, and mostly to have a good time etc. The big games will be better, and so will your game.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Its one game, just keep your head up, if it keep happening i'd switch to right wing, its the position with the least defensive pressure.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote