HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#18 | New York Islanders vs. Washington Capitals | Nov 11 | 7:00p

Old
11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
#18 | New York Islanders vs. Washington Capitals | Nov 11 | 7:00p

***SPECIAL "H1N1" EDITION***

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Law

GAME PREVIEW

Last 10 -- Islanders (5-3-2); Capitals (7-1-20)

Season series -- The Islanders and Capitals are already meeting for the third time this season. The teams split the first two games by winning in overtime in the other's building. Washington rallied from a 2-0 third-period deficit for a 3-2 win at the Nassau Coliseum on Oct. 24, and the Isles returned the favor with a 4-3 win at the VerizonCenter on Oct. 30.

Big story -- What is life like without a superstar like Alex Ovechkin? For the Capitals, it's so far, so good. Ovechkin three games last week with an upper-body injury -- and the Caps won twice, sweeping a home-and-home series with Florida after a 3-2 loss at New Jersey.

"Alex Ovechkin is definitely hard to replace, but this is where we as a coaching staff challenge the team," Washington coach Bruce Boudreau wrote in his column on the team's Web site this week. "We are not a one-man team, and we don't want people to think of us as a one-man team even though we know how great he is. You manufacture goals and other people pick up the slack."

Team Scope

Islanders -- The Isles have had three days off since perhaps their best game of the season, a 6-3 home win over Atlanta on Saturday. Now things get tough -- New York plays its next seven games and 12 of its next 14 away from the Nassau Coliseum. The overtime win at Washington 11 days ago is the Isles' only victory in eight road games.

Winning away from home won't be easy, but a good sign for the Islanders was that the six goals against the Thrashers came from six different players, and 13 of the 18 skaters hit the scoresheet.

"If we can get the kind of balance scoring we got tonight we can be a lot harder to play against," coach Scott Gordon said of the road trip."

Capitals -- The absence of Ovechkin has opened up quality time for other players -- especially Tomas Fleischmann, who scored twice in the first meeting with the Islanders.

Fleischmann missed the first three weeks of the season with a deep vein thrombosis, but has five goals in six games since his return.

"I am a big Fleischmann fan, and I know how good he can be," Boudreau said in his column. "He is the player nobody knows about on our team, but he is a really good glue guy. He is responsible and is a top-six forward who can play both offensively and defensively and those guys are really hard to find."

Who's hot -- The Islanders have gotten much more than they could have expected from Matt Moulson, who scored his team-high seventh goal against Atlanta. Washington's Mike Knuble, another player who needs to step up in Ovechkin's absence, had 2 goals and 2 assists in Saturday's 7-4 home win over Florida.

Injury Report -- The Islanders might get forward Trent Hunter (chest) back tonight, but they won't have captain Doug Weight (upper-body, 4-6 weeks) and defenseman Radek Martinek, who's gone for the season after tearing a knee ligament last Friday. Forward Kyle Okposo didn't make the trip to Washington; he reportedly will miss the first three games of the road trip with the H1N1 virus. Ovechkin is listed as week-to-week, while defensemen Jeff Schultz and Mike Green and forward Boyd Gordon are day-to-day.

Stat pack -- Six of the last eight games between the teams have gone beyond regulation -- though five have been decided in overtime and only one in a shootout. Each team has won three. Fleischmann's two goals against the Islanders on Oct. 30 were one more than he had scored in his first 10 games against them.

Puck drop -- Both teams are playing at well below top strength physically, especially if Green and Schultz can't play for the Caps. The Islanders, who've struggled way from home for more than a year, will be desperate to get their long trip off to a good start by taking advantage of Ovechkin's absence.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresRichard Park
Jeff TambelliniJosh BaileyJon Sim
Sean BergenheimFrans NielsenTrent Hunter
Rob SchrempNate ThompsonTim Jackman

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Mark StreitBruno Gervais
Andy SuttonFreddy Meyer
Brendan WittJack Hillen

..............................G..............................
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron

INSIDE SHOTS:
Radek Martinek should know the drill by now.

The often injured defenseman tore the ACL in his right knee in a collision with Zach Parise in Friday's loss in New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

Yes, again.

"He's just a huge loss for us," Isles coach Scott Gordon said of Martinek before Saturday's 6-3 home win over Atlanta. "I spoke to him today. I feel so bad for him because he was really playing well. He was doing a great job of playing against the other teams' top lines. It's a huge hole for us."

And one the Isles are used to trying to fill. The Czech defenseman is in his eighth NHL season, but he has played as many as 70 games in a season only once in his career. He appeared in only 51 games last season because of a shoulder injury. He suffered a broken leg and missed the final 30 games of the 2006-07 season. And his rookie year in 2001-02 lasted only 23 games because of another season-ending knee injury.

Martinek had two goals and one assist while appearing in each of the Isles' first 16 games this season, but veteran defenseman Freddy Meyer took his spot in the lineup Saturday and will continue to do so when the Isles open a seven-game road swing Wednesday in Washington.

"To me, he's one of the best kept secrets in the NHL as far as what he brings to the table," Gordon said. "His ability to play huge minutes, his ability with the skating, to defend, to get back when he is up in the rush ...

"At times, he can be a one-man breakout. He's got a great stick."

ISLANDERS 6, THRASHERS 3: The Islanders will play at Nassau Coliseum only twice in their next 14 games, which include a seven-game road trip, but they had the old barn rocking Saturday with six different goal-scorers accounting for the Isles' highest goal total of the season.

"Anytime you win at home and you make your building a tough place to play, it's always good for the club and good for everybody," rookie center John Tavares said. "We needed this. It's good for everybody to have our confidence up the next couple of days. We need to get our rest and get ready for a couple of tough games coming up."

NOTES & QUOTES:
• LW Blake Comeau rejoined the lineup in place of injured captain Doug Weight after being a healthy scratch in the previous six games and scored a goal in the Isles' 6-3 win Saturday over Atlanta. "It felt even better that we got a win and I was able to contribute," Comeau said.

• C Doug Weight, the Islanders' captain, has played in only 11 of the Isles' first 17 games. He sustained an early-season groin injury, then had a recent encounter with swine flu before also sitting out Saturday's game against Atlanta with an upper-body injury that is expected to sideline him for at least one week.

Quote To Note:

"That's a feel-good for everybody. The last two games, we struggled to get it done. We mixed it up, got a different look and had some success. Balanced scoring is harder to defend against."
—Head coach Scott Gordon, after the Isles ended a two-game losing streak with a 6-3 win Saturday over Atlanta.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• C John Tavares had two assists in the Islanders' 6-3 win Saturday over Atlanta, tying the prized rookie with LW Matt Moulson with a team-high 13 points in 17 games.

• LW Sean Bergenheim, who netted a career-high 15 goals last season, scored his first of the year.

• LW Blake Comeau, who had been scratched in the previous six games, also scored his first of the season.

Medical Watch:

• G Rick DiPietro, who didn't play after Jan. 5 last season due to lingering effects from multiple surgeries on his right knee, has resumed skating but isn't expected back until mid-to-late November.

• RW Trent Hunter suffered a torn pectoral muscle on Oct. 8 but he's resumed skating and coach Scott Gordon said he could be activated by second week of November.

• D Radek Martinek suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Nov. 6 against New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

• C Doug Weight missed Saturday's game against Atlanta with an undisclosed upper body injury and is expected to be out 7-10 days.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Tomas FleischmannNicklas BackstromAlexander Semin
Brooks LaichBrendan MorrisonMike Knuble
Quintin LaingDavid SteckelMatt Bradley
Eric FehrMathieu PerreaultChris Clark

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Milan JurcinaTom Poti
John ErskineTyler Sloan
Brian PothierShaone Morrisonn

..............................G..............................
Jose Theodore
Semyon Varlamov

INSIDE SHOTS:
The Caps have had all kinds of trouble in the third period this season. That's an ominous sign because the best teams control the latter part of games.

But the Caps took care of that in Saturday's 7-4 victory over Florida. Despite missing two of their top players, the Caps scored five third-period goals against the Panthers to rally from a 3-2 deficit.

Obviously, the Caps won't score five goals in the third period of every game, but they'll try to just play effectively in the final 20 minutes Wednesday against the Islanders, a team that has given them problems this season.

The Caps' have shown a tendency this season to let up a little after getting early leads. That wasn't a problem Saturday, however -- they held a 16-5 edge in shots to get those five goals.

CAPS 7, PANTHERS 4: Is Tomas Fleischmann finally becoming the goal-scorer the Caps expected? He got two goals to spark the third-period rally and has five in just six games this season. Coach Bruce Boudreau has long said Fleischmann can be a big NHL scorer, and that is looking to be more and more truthful -- and it couldn't have come at a better time for the injury-plagued Caps.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• Mathieu Perrault scored his first NHL goal on a combination alert/odd play in the third period. He stole the puck from a Panther behind the Florida goal and quickly stuffed it inside the left post to beat goalie Scott Clemmensen, who appeared to lose sight of the puck for a moment.

• The Caps finally did a good job of staying out of the penalty box. They didn't take a penalty after the second minute of the second period, a big reason that they were able to keep the Panthers under control on offense, especially in the third period.

• Injuries again hurt the Caps as defensemen Mike Green (upper body) and Jeff Schultz (lower body) were out. The Caps moved Tyler Sloan back to defense from left wing, where he continues to help the team in the first part of the season.

Quote To Note:

"We came out and outhustled them and outworked them. In the third period, we turned it up a level, and I don't think they were able to respond."
—LW Brooks Laich after the Capitals' victory over Florida on Saturday.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• Still not much new on LW Alex Ovechkin's status. The Caps will see how he does in practice over the next few days before they take on the Islanders Wednesday.

• LW Quintin Laing continues to be a feel-good story in the early days of this season. A lifelong minor-leaguer who keeps getting cups of coffee in the NHL, Laing had to battle swine flu earlier this season. He then scored a goal during the five-goal third period to help the Caps rally.

• RW Mike Knuble showed why the Caps signed him in the offseason, getting two goals and two assists for a four-point night. Knuble gives the Caps a powerful presence near the crease, something they've lacked the last few seasons.

• C Nicklas Backstrom hasn't been slowed by the loss of linemate Alex Ovechkin. He added two more assists and has 17 in the team's 17 games. He makes the Caps' offense go in so many ways, and already has become one of the NHL's top play-makers.

Medical Watch:

• C Boyd Gordon (back) was scratched again, and he's now considered more of a week-to-week status, having missed 11 straight games.

• LW Alex Ovechkin (upper body strain) is considered week-to-week.

• D Jeff Schultz (lower body) is listed as day-to-day.

• D Mike Green (upper body) also is listed as day-to-day.
LW Alex Ovechkin (upper body strain) is considered week-to-week.

Last edited by Law: 11-13-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old
11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
DiPietrofan39

Did not realize there were so many thrashers on the capitals haha, just a heads up

DiPietrofan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
This H1N1 stuff is scary... I'm staying home!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Dan-o16

On MSG + 2, which means TWCNYC gets the crappy overflow feed on Channel 200, or whatever. Sucks.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPietrofan39 View Post
Did not realize there were so many thrashers on the capitals haha, just a heads up
Pfft, you didn't hear about the huge '20-players-for-20-players' trade?!

Old
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
blackmesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
This H1N1 stuff is scary... I'm staying home!

Haha excellent song choice Law!

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
On MSG + 2, which means TWCNYC gets the crappy overflow feed on Channel 200, or whatever. Sucks.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This **** is really getting old. Cablevision advertises that they provide all NY sports in HD. The overflow is not in HD. Isnt that a form of false advertising? Im paying for a service they advertise yet do not provide 100%. Ive never written them any complaints regarding this but Im gonna start today.

edit: For the hell of it, I filed a complaint with the BBB for false advertising/failure to deliver product and directly to Cablevision. Lets see if I can make any waves..

Last edited by E_Godard: 11-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Trumanperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
This **** is really getting old. Cablevision advertises that they provide all NY sports in HD. The overflow is not in HD. Isnt that a form of false advertising? Im paying for a service they advertise yet do not provide 100%. Ive never written them any complaints regarding this but Im gonna start today.

edit: For the hell of it, I filed a complaint with the BBB for false advertising/failure to deliver product and directly to Cablevision. Lets see if I can make any waves..
I hope you do. I have comcast and DTV in my house (long story). Anyway, Comcast doesn't even show the overflow WTF?! So I got to DVR the game or wait until 1am to watch the replay.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they do show all the games in HD, just not live. The game tonight, for example, will be shown at midnight on MSG+ in HD.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Law

Quote:

Could be mistaken if they changed it this year, but I believe they left themselves some wiggle room in the statement. Something to the effect of 'Cablevision provides all the games that are available in HD'. I think this is technically accurate since they don't make their HD feed available to everyone (like us pissed off DirecTV customers!). Slimy and misleading to be sure, but I'm not sure it rises to 'false advertising'.

Then again, if it someone forces Dolan and co. to produce all games in HD and provide their HD feed to everyone, then write and email away!

Old
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
I'm pretty sure they do show all the games in HD, just not live. The game tonight, for example, will be shown at midnight on MSG+ in HD.
The replays are almost always shown on the HD channel, but not in High Def.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Could be mistaken if they changed it this year, but I believe they left themselves some wiggle room in the statement. Something to the effect of 'Cablevision provides all the games that are available in HD'. I think this is technically accurate since they don't make their HD feed available to everyone (like us pissed off DirecTV customers!). Slimy and misleading to be sure, but I'm not sure it rises to 'false advertising'.

Then again, if it someone forces Dolan and co. to produce all games in HD and provide their HD feed to everyone, then write and email away!
Lets keep our fingers crossed on this one. I know atleast ill get a response through the BBB even if my direct mail to Cablevision is ignored. Last time I used them to file a complaint against DirecTV / DirectPC it was handled pretty quick (4 weeks).

Old
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
IslesNYer

Anyone with technical experience here understand what the issue is with having an overflow channel at the HD level. Isn't most of the cost in HD related to the equipment, which is already available to both teams, or does cablevision only have one roaming truck that handles the feed? I can't stand cablevision or Dolan, but they are smart. The minute they release the HD feed to Fios, I'd probably jump at the switch.

IslesNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNYer View Post
Anyone with technical experience here understand what the issue is with having an overflow channel at the HD level. Isn't most of the cost in HD related to the equipment, which is already available to both teams, or does cablevision only have one roaming truck that handles the feed? I can't stand cablevision or Dolan, but they are smart. The minute they release the HD feed to Fios, I'd probably jump at the switch.
The issue isnt access to the feed, its lack of space to add another HD channel that would only be up temporary. However, that shouldnt be a concern to the customer. They should just add it in and suck up the lost bandwidth on having another HD channel randomly used for these games.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Trumanperro

Quote:
The issue isnt access to the feed, its lack of space to add another HD channel that would only be up temporary. However, that shouldnt be a concern to the customer. They should just add it in and suck up the lost bandwidth on having another HD channel randomly used for these games.
He's right on the money.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
blitzkriegs

NYI need to take advantage of a team missing one of the best players in the game. On one hand, it shows NYI are capable of beating a vulnerable team. On the other, it shows NYI are only beating one of the better teams in the league because they are missing one of the best players in the game.

You get an opportunity to get 2 points against a top team without their best player you need to win the darn game no matter the injuries on your roster.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Islanderfan72

Lets see if they can get a W tonight.

LETS GO ISLANDERS

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
You get an opportunity to get 2 points against a top team without their best player you need to win the darn game no matter the injuries on your roster.
Exactly, we need to get these two and not look back. Its gonna be a long few weeks with only a couple of games at home.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Wow a game! Need to capitalize on them missing their best player. 2 points here we come!

11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Hockify

Got to take comeau off that lineup he is another flu boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Wow a game! Need to capitalize on them missing their best player. 2 points here we come!
Since you are missing your best players too that isn't going to be as easy as it seems.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
strife

well, at least you guys have an opportunity to see some games in HD when the devs,rags, knicks, crickett, high school badminton, and championship curling aren't playing. FiOS doesnt have any MSG channels in HD yet =\

strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
well, at least you guys have an opportunity to see some games in HD when the devs,rags, knicks, crickett, high school badminton, and championship curling aren't playing. FiOS doesnt have any MSG channels in HD yet =\
Well, I wouldn't give Verizon any money if they paid me, the stinkers.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
isleskovalchuk

another game blocked out by the sabres and knicks.... ahhh hopefully atdhe comes through tonight, doubt it. Hopefully isles come through with a solid effort tonight as well..

LETS GO ISLES!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
MattBennett
HFB Partner

starting goalies: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/7449/sta...vember-11-2009
isles' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/2694/new...rs-team-lineup
caps' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...ls-team-lineup
betting analysis: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/7691/pic...-for-wednesday

now you can vote for your what you think is the most solid pick of the night!

MattBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
kpap57

well gotta wait for the replay at midnight for this one since the g-d dam Sabres are on.
Hoping for 2 points. LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote