HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

I vent, therefore I am

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 02:46 AM
WildWestSen

vCash: 500
I vent, therefore I am

I often wonder what some fans get from posting here. As someone who has a diversity of friends who count themselves fans of each of the Canadian-based teams and some American teams, it irks me to see so much disrespect between fans.

We will quite obviously not agree on many issues, so i don't see the point of posting while repeatedly arguing the same points over and over again in the same thread when the gist of the post is simply "you are wrong and i am right". It pains me to move to put certain posters on ignore with threads bogged down in this manner, as most people at some time or another have something useful to add to the discussion. Those that choose to distract us with frivolous posts are sacrificing their right to discussion and should not be here. Furthermore, the inflamatory and gloating posts are only half the problem; the other half being responses from frustrated Sens fans. I know only too well the urge to strike back at these bullies of the board.

Today's game day thread is a particularly potent example. I'm certain that many people would not have read this post if it had been at the end of said thread as originally planned. The thread is bogged down with lengthy back-and-forth with many posts that don't add anything intelligent to the discussion. Having to sift through the trash to find the treasure makes the treasure that much more valuable, yet may deter the weak of spirit or low on time. A game day thread on the Sens board should not be subject to mass frivolous posts from those that aren't fans of the team. The game day thread on the Eastern Conference Playoffs board may be more suitable for such, if there were any place for it outside of that fan's board.

It's very frustrating to come here to have an intelligent discussion only to find that much of that discussion is lost to the confusion of little arguments with other fans, which is perhaps their goal.

We must end the tyranny and oppression by the few and break free the bonds of selfish posters!

Yet how?

------------------------------------------------------
Qualifier: I am not saying all opposing fans act this way. I do realize some Sens fans do. I am not trying to incite an argument. This is not directed at any particular posters. I realize there are mods to deal with this. I don't doubt they do their utmost. I wonder why it is still such a problem. I do expect some less than eloquent responses. I wonder why i need a qualifier. I wonder why the sky is blue. And roses red. I am not whining. I may be venting. I am a Sens fan. I am frustrated. It is late.

(I wonder at the many times that threads get two or three replies from opposing fans before a Sens fan has a crack at it.)

PS. There was no editing in the production of this post. No animals were hurt either (well maybe just of few puppies and cute little bunnies).

Old
04-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Varada

I don't have anything particular to say regarding your post. But philosphically speaking, another school of thougth suggests, to be is to be percieved. You know, like if tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound type logic. Since you haven't been responded to, I want to assure you do in fact exist.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:02 AM
WildWestSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varada
I don't have anything particular to say regarding your post. But philosphically speaking, another school of thougth suggests, to be is to be percieved. You know, like if tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound type logic. Since you haven't been responded to, I want to assure you do in fact exist.
Thanks! I was getting quite worried about that. Nobody responded to about three or four posts in a row and i was starting to think i didn't exist and maybe this board had stollen my identity! Thankfully i went to school to do some studying and found that people still spoke to me.

I imagine that if i spent too much time on here, i'd become marvin the martian on Lalime's mask; forever in silent anguish at our inability to beat the Leafs.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Spezza

I don't mind fair points - however its clear that some posters come here and they're desperate to engage in a fight. I don't mind some of the classier and that is most of the long standing posters.

To be honest, I've adopted to a new strategy. I'll stick to one time, one line scathing replies and stick them on my ignore list. That way I don't need to read from them again. The majority of the crap traffic is coming from a few posters, you can probably count them all on one hand.

Maybe we should just start threads up by PM and send it to the usual crew instead

Last edited by Spezza: 04-14-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Varada

Quote:
Thanks! I was getting quite worried about that. Nobody responded to about three or four posts in a row and i was starting to think i didn't exist and maybe this board had stollen my identity! Thankfully i went to school to do some studying and found that people still spoke to me.
lol :lol

Closed Thread