HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Opening Day Line-up

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 03:52 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Opening Day Line-up

OK, just for fun, say the 2004-05 season started tommorow, and make your line-up.

-Oilers trade up in draft and get A. Picard using Atlanta's pick (Atlanta picks 14th and gets J. Rita too.)

-Oilers draft Montoya, Dubynyk or Shwartz with Philly's pick.

-Oilers trade A. Semenov and B. Isbister to Buffalo for S. Samsonov and a Future Considerations.

-Oilers trade J. Smith to Buffalo for M. Noronen

-Sign P. Nedved to a 2 yr deal worth 7.5 mil.

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky
Samsonov-York-Dvorak
Torres-Reasoner-Pisani
Moreau-Horcoff-Laraque
Chimera-Stoll

Brewer-Bergeron
Ulanov-Lynch
Staios-Cross

Noronen
Jussi

your turn...

Old
04-13-2004, 08:14 AM
H-Bear

I'm sure you meant Samsonov from Boston.

Anyhow, here's my stab at this:
Smyth-York-Dvorak
Torres-Horcoff-Hemsky
Mikhnov-Reasoner-Isbister
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
- the bottom three centres are inter-changeable.
- Nedved is NOT signed, as he chaces greener ($$) pastures.
- Mikhnov is signed and impresses at camp.
Brewer-Ulanov
Semenov-Staios
Bergeron-Lynch
- Smith files for arbitration and is gone within a week of the signing. What he is dealt for is beyond me (likely a centre or goalie).
Markkanen-Conklin

Old
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
nineteen79

Here goes nothing....

Oilers resign Smith in the summer and avoid arbitration.
Lowe pulls a rabbit out of his hat and signs Nedved to a 2 year deal.
Lowe is now a full fledged magician after he deals the 2 1st roundrs and Marty Reasoner to Ottawa for Jason Spezza and a 3rd rd. pick.
Oilers send Isbister and Markkanen and Jani Rita to Montreal for Garon,Hainsey.

Lineup

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Spezza York
Moreau Horcoff Pisani or Hemsky
Chimera Stoll Laraque

Brewer Smith
Staois Semenov
Ulanov Bergereon
Cross

Conklin
Garon

Hey a fan can dream can't he

Old
04-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen79
Here goes nothing....

Oilers resign Smith in the summer and avoid arbitration.
Lowe pulls a rabbit out of his hat and signs Nedved to a 2 year deal.
Lowe is now a full fledged magician after he deals the 2 1st roundrs and Marty Reasoner to Ottawa for Jason Spezza and a 3rd rd. pick.
Oilers send Isbister and Markkanen and Jani Rita to Montreal for Garon,Hainsey.

Lineup

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Spezza York
Moreau Horcoff Pisani or Hemsky
Chimera Stoll Laraque

Brewer Smith
Staois Semenov
Ulanov Bergereon
Cross

Conklin
Garon

Hey a fan can dream can't he
Heh, it's certainly an interesting plan.. I actually think the idea of acquiring Samsonov is an interesting one.. while I don't think it will happen, he is certainly a dynamite offensive player and could be falling out of favor in Boston with his injury woes. I'd love to see Smith sign a 3 year deal for a lil below market value.. unfortunately, nothing in his past financial history leads me to believe that this is a likely scenario. I'd still like to see Izzy get another chance next year. We definitely need a top line center next year though.. I'd take Nedved but there are a lot of other good options out there like Zhamnov.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

sorry, ya Samsonov from Boston, ofcoarse.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:48 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Heh, it's certainly an interesting plan.. I actually think the idea of acquiring Samsonov is an interesting one.. while I don't think it will happen, he is certainly a dynamite offensive player and could be falling out of favor in Boston with his injury woes. I'd love to see Smith sign a 3 year deal for a lil below market value.. unfortunately, nothing in his past financial history leads me to believe that this is a likely scenario. I'd still like to see Izzy get another chance next year. We definitely need a top line center next year though.. I'd take Nedved but there are a lot of other good options out there like Zhamnov.
I don't think Zhamnov is a realistic option. I'll take what I said in a previous thread and take it a step further. Here are the interesting FA centres this summer:
- Nylander (III) - Boston: could be playing his way out of our price range with the run he is having with Boston.
- Conroy (III) - Calgary: if we can afford him, so can Calgary; which leads me to believe that he will either sign with another team for big coin, or re-sign with the Flamers.
- Wright (III) - Columbus: not really a viable option for us; he's not exactly a first line centre.
- Yzerman (III) - Detroit: obviously not going to happen.
- Nedved (III) - Edmonton: I suppose we have as good as a shot as anyone else to sign him. Hopefully he's not expecting huge coin or we're out of the race.
- Stumpel (III) - Los Angeles: COULD be a super fit. Being injured for a long time, he couldn't demand much; he's got skills - plenty of them. The only problem is the same reason he won't garner much $$ - injuries. Definately a high-risk/high-reward type signing.
- Perrault (III) - Montreal: way too soft for a first line role.
- Dowd (III) - Montreal: not a first line centre.
- Zholtok (III) - Nashville <-- I kind of like this option: this guy has everything MacT likes: defensive responsibility and an offensive touch. I would welcome this guy with open arms.
- Johnson (III) - Nashville: being the captain of the Preds, I have to believe he will be re-signed, but if he isn't ... see Zholtok.
- Brylin (V) - New Jersey: see Zholtok (minus the size).
- Ronning (III) - Islanders: see Brylin.
- Lindros (III) - Rangers: see Stumpel.
- Zhamnov (III) - Philidelphia: likely to be well out of our price range; but it's hard to argue with his success. Not a realistic opportunity.
- Lemieux (III) - Pittsburgh: see Yzerman.
- Damphousse (III) - San Jose: don't know where to sit on this guy. He doesn't light my fire, but he is a decent hockey player.
- Ricci (III) - San Jose: not really a first line player. Love his style though. Pair him with Smyth and Dvorak and you have quite possibly the uggliest line in NHL history!
- Brown (V) - San Jose: again, not really a first line centre. We already have his clone in Stoll.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Master Lok

1) The Oilers sign the option year on Nedved's contract for $5 million. During the next several months, Nedved agrees to another year extension at $1.5 million, making it a $6.5 million - 2 year contract in combination with #2.

2) Furthermore, the Oilers sign a short-term modelling contract with Petr's wife as she graces the third page of every Oilers magazine next year. Soon thereafter, Petr opens a lingerie store in WEM next to Champions. It seems a natural fit for couples, the guys wander into Champions, the girls wanders into Veronica's.

3) Knowing that J. Smith will file for arbitration, the Oilers trade their Philly pick, 2nd round pick, Chimera and Smith to Florida desperate for defensive help for Luongo. The Oilers get Florida's #7 overall pick.

4) Armed with the 7th pick and the 14 th pick, Lowe ponders what to do? At 7th, he could get A. Ladd and at 14th, possibly Montoya to get some depth at goalie. Lowe shrugs his shoulders and calls Pittsburgh. Tempted by the 7th, 14th picks and Rita: three relatively cheaper prospects and no Russian transfer fee, Lowe picks up the #2 spot much to the surprise of the NHL. He picks the big power centre..... Evgeni Malkin.

Is Malkin ready for NHL? What is the transfer fee?

York - Nedved - Dvorak
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres - Stoll - Laraques

Isbister, Malkin

Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Bergeron
Woywitka - Staios
Lynch - Cross

Markkanen-Conklin

In: Malkin, Lynch, Woywitka, Salmalainen?
OUT: Rita, Chimera, Smith

Old
04-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I don't think Zhamnov is a realistic option. I'll take what I said in a previous thread and take it a step further. Here are the interesting FA centres this summer:
- Nylander (III) - Boston: could be playing his way out of our price range with the run he is having with Boston.
- Conroy (III) - Calgary: if we can afford him, so can Calgary; which leads me to believe that he will either sign with another team for big coin, or re-sign with the Flamers.
- Wright (III) - Columbus: not really a viable option for us; he's not exactly a first line centre.
- Yzerman (III) - Detroit: obviously not going to happen.
- Nedved (III) - Edmonton: I suppose we have as good as a shot as anyone else to sign him. Hopefully he's not expecting huge coin or we're out of the race.
- Stumpel (III) - Los Angeles: COULD be a super fit. Being injured for a long time, he couldn't demand much; he's got skills - plenty of them. The only problem is the same reason he won't garner much $$ - injuries. Definately a high-risk/high-reward type signing.
- Perrault (III) - Montreal: way too soft for a first line role.
- Dowd (III) - Montreal: not a first line centre.
- Zholtok (III) - Nashville <-- I kind of like this option: this guy has everything MacT likes: defensive responsibility and an offensive touch. I would welcome this guy with open arms.
- Johnson (III) - Nashville: being the captain of the Preds, I have to believe he will be re-signed, but if he isn't ... see Zholtok.
- Brylin (V) - New Jersey: see Zholtok (minus the size).
- Ronning (III) - Islanders: see Brylin.
- Lindros (III) - Rangers: see Stumpel.
- Zhamnov (III) - Philidelphia: likely to be well out of our price range; but it's hard to argue with his success. Not a realistic opportunity.
- Lemieux (III) - Pittsburgh: see Yzerman.
- Damphousse (III) - San Jose: don't know where to sit on this guy. He doesn't light my fire, but he is a decent hockey player.
- Ricci (III) - San Jose: not really a first line player. Love his style though. Pair him with Smyth and Dvorak and you have quite possibly the uggliest line in NHL history!
- Brown (V) - San Jose: again, not really a first line centre. We already have his clone in Stoll.
Zholtok is not what this club needs.. he is another third line player with limited scoring ability. He only managed 2 points in 11 games with Nashville and finished the season with 31 points in 70 games. He has also already played for us back in 2000 and he struggled to make an impact. I agree that Zhamnov is probably out of our price range. However, I still feel there are better options out there via free agency or even a trade than Zholtok.

Last edited by Cerebral: 04-13-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old
04-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
1) The Oilers sign the option year on Nedved's contract for $5 million. During the next several months, Nedved agrees to another year extension at $1.5 million, making it a $6.5 million - 2 year contract in combination with #2.
Why would Nedved sign a $1.5 million dollar one-year extension after we picked up his $5 million dollar option???

We might be able to coax him to sign somewhere around $6.5 million dollar/2 year deal, but not after we've picked up his option.....

If we picked up his option, why wouldn't Nedved just wait 'til the end of the next season when he would be unrestricted??? He could undoubtedly get more than $1.5 million from almost anyone in the league.....

Old
04-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Elvis Lives

Opening day lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
OK, just for fun, say the 2004-05 season started tommorow, and make your line-up.

-Oilers trade up in draft and get A. Picard using Atlanta's pick (Atlanta picks 14th and gets J. Rita too.)

-Oilers draft Montoya, Dubynyk or Shwartz with Philly's pick.

-Oilers trade A. Semenov and B. Isbister to Buffalo for S. Samsonov and a Future Considerations.

-Oilers trade J. Smith to Buffalo for M. Noronen

-Sign P. Nedved to a 2 yr deal worth 7.5 mil.

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky
Samsonov-York-Dvorak
Torres-Reasoner-Pisani
Moreau-Horcoff-Laraque
Chimera-Stoll

Brewer-Bergeron
Ulanov-Lynch
Staios-Cross

Noronen
Jussi

your turn...
Back away from the crack pipe . . .

Old
04-13-2004, 05:23 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Is Malkin ready for NHL? What is the transfer fee?
(a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft
of an age 18 player, the Club he signs a contract with must first
offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may
assign him out of the NHL.

(b) During the first season next succeeding the draft of an
age 19 player or a player who reaches his 19th birthday between
September 16 and December 31, inclusive, of the year of the
draft, the Club he signs a contract with must first offer him to
the club from which he was claimed before it may assign him
out of the NHL.

(FROM: http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=8). It doesn't say anything about how much the transfer fee is. As far as I am concerned, if he is not signed with any RSL club for next year, the transfer fee is $0. However, if he is signed for next year (or beyond - which I think he is), then his transfer fee is whatever is left on his salary (or something like that). And my guess is that every party involved has a handling type fee (ie: Russian Hockey Federation, IIHF, NHL, RSL).

Big time grey area if you ask me. Simmer down on the trade and go for Olesz. Not as good, but still fantastic.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear

Big time grey area if you ask me. Simmer down on the trade and go for Olesz. Not as good, but still fantastic.
Thanks! Yes, the Olesz vs. Malkin discussions.... I wonder if Lowe would go for it.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Why would Nedved sign a $1.5 million dollar one-year extension after we picked up his $5 million dollar option???

We might be able to coax him to sign somewhere around $6.5 million dollar/2 year deal, but not after we've picked up his option.....

If we picked up his option, why wouldn't Nedved just wait 'til the end of the next season when he would be unrestricted??? He could undoubtedly get more than $1.5 million from almost anyone in the league.....
Sigh true. It would probably be more realistic to start from a $6.5 million - 2 year contract. He could use that money to pay the rent on the WEM store for Veronica's Lingerie.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Lowetide

1. Oilers trade LW Jason Chimera to Carolina for 2006 3rd rd pick.
2. Oilers sign LW Alexei Mikhnov, JDD and Kyle Brodziak.
3. Oilers select LW Alexandre Picard with the 14th pick.
4. Oilers select G Devan Dybnuk with the 24th pick.
5. Oilers select F Blake Wheeler in the second round.
6. Oilers sign C Brian Rolston to a 3 yr, $10 million dollar deal. (from what i can tell, he's ufa).

(C-LW-RW)

Rolston-Smyth-Hemsky
York-Torres-Dvorak
Reasoner-Moreau-Pisani
Stoll-Horcoff-Laraque
extras: Isbister, Salmelainen

Brewer-Smith
Semenov-Staios
Bergeron-Ulanov
Cross

Conklin/Markkanen share #1job.

Rolston is ideal for what the Oilers need, big shooter, solid size and fine two way centerman. Center has 4 guys who can do the job, with Horcoff on the 4line LW where he can help when needed. Hemsky gets some protection on his line because Rolston is solid.

The other possibility is to blow it up and deal for someone like Gaborik.

Last edited by Lowetide: 04-13-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old
04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
outKast*

Trade Smith, Rita, 2nd rounder for Mark Bell.
Bell (6'3 210lbs drafted 8th overall)
Trade Isbister and picks for Paul Mara

1st. Smyth(Captain) Bell Hemsky -----> We get a strong hulky skilled powerforward in Bell to compliment a grinder in Smyth and a skilled player in Hemmer.

2nd. Torres York Dvorak-----> They'll pick up where they left off from mid season.

3rd. Moreau Reasoner Pisani -----> RPM. They work well together. They cycle well.

4th. Horcoff Stoll Laraque -----> Horcoff and Stoll can put it in the back of the net. Laraque will play some of the same BS hockey most of the time and then pick it up near the end of the season.

Brewer Semenov -----> Huge top 2
Staois Mara ----> 2 way back end
Ulanov Bergeron -----> Did well together. Ulanov is a good bridge to let Lynch/Woywitka develop.

Starter: ???????
Backup A: Conklin
Backup B: Markannen
PB: Lynch

The Oilers are one top 4 defenseman, A bonafied first line center and a good goalie (less than 2.30GAA and over 0.9100 save percentage) away from being a real contender. This team has too many role players and not enough guys to put the puck in the net or a guy who can singlehandedly slow the game down and take control the game.

Last edited by outKast*: 04-13-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
MrMackey

Here's my go at it:

1. Sign Nedved to a three year* deal worth $3.75M for each of the first two years (a reduction of $1M from this past year). In the third year there is a team option at $5M and a player option at $3M.

2. Trade Horcoff, Rita and a third round pick for Jeff Taffe, a fifth and an sixth round pick. Horcoff's value is pretty high right now and he's buddies with Horcoff. Rita's still got great potential and PHO is weak on both wings... but Taffe would look good on our second line and could be the best player in this deal.

3. Trade Cory Cross, Jason Smith and Jason Chimera to Buffalo for Henrick Tallinder and Mika Noronen. Buffalo may lose Patrick and Zhitnik this year as veteran d-man and have McKee, Kalinen, Jillson and Campbell coming up... Cross and Smith would look good here. Chimera's a throw in but it gives the Sabres more options on their wings, where there are a lot of disappointments/late bloomers. We all know they've got to resolve their goaltending issue (who to keep), and if they wait they may not get anything more than what SJ got for the other Mikka. Tallinder is a young guy who could be ready to emerge, but is still a wild card and might be a guy we could get in a deal... I believe he could eat some serious minutes if he plays well, but could be replaced with Lynch/Woywitka if he falters.

4. Sign Isbister to a 3 year, $3.3M deal, with bonuses that can take it up to $2.4M per year on excellent stats. Expect it to average out to $1.5M per year, with average performance.

5. Trade Conklin & futures to TOR for their first round pick (if they still have it). If Conklin plays a certain number of games before 2006 (essentially becomes the starter once Belfour retires), then the futures = nothing. If Conklin is used sparingly before 2006, then the futures = a second or third round pick.

6. Trade the EDM, PHI, TOR first round picks to get in to top three if possible.

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Taffe York
Isbister Reasoner Hemsky
Moreau Stoll Laraque/Pisani

Brewer Semenov
Tallinder Staios
Bergeron Ulanov/Lynch
Woywitka

Noronen
Markaanen

We lose:
Horcoff
Rita
Cross
Chimera
Smith
Conklin
14th overall pick 2004
25-30 overall pick 2004
3rd 2004
2nd/3rd 2006 (*maybe)

We gain:
Jeff Taffe
Henrick Tallinder
Mikka Noronen
1-3 overall pick 2004
5th 2004
6th 2004

Last edited by MrMackey: 04-13-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 02:06 AM
kruezer

I say go for Spezza, I don't know exactly what Ottawa would be desiring (Maybe a shot at one of the top goalies this draft? and a little more?), This could be alot easier too if Ottawa doesn't get past Toronto and their might be some knee-jerkin' going on.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:42 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
5. Trade Conklin & futures to TOR for their first round pick (if they still have it). If Conklin plays a certain number of games before 2006 (essentially becomes the starter once Belfour retires), then the futures = nothing. If Conklin is used sparingly before 2006, then the futures = a second or third round pick.
Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't think Conklin is worth a 1st round pick, even a late 1st (which Toronto traded to NYR for Leetch).

True they need goaltending help in the worst way (Kidd is trash, Belfour is OLD, and Tellqvist is just unproven), but I don't think they would give a 1st, even if they had it, for Conklin.

Remember that Hedberg went for a late 2nd.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:46 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Trade Smith, Rita, 2nd rounder for Mark Bell.
Bell (6'3 210lbs drafted 8th overall)
Trade Isbister and picks for Paul Mara
Bell would take a lot more than that to get. He is young (23) and was a 1st round pick. Chicago is building their team around he and Ruutu (was Arnason but he's likely to be traded) and wouldn't unload him unless a HEFTY deal came along.

Phoenix traded Isbister to get Robert Reichel. I don't think they were sold on his "potential" then so what's changed?

Old
04-14-2004, 10:29 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't think Conklin is worth a 1st round pick, even a late 1st (which Toronto traded to NYR for Leetch).

True they need goaltending help in the worst way (Kidd is trash, Belfour is OLD, and Tellqvist is just unproven), but I don't think they would give a 1st, even if they had it, for Conklin.

Remember that Hedberg went for a late 2nd.
I had a suspicion that Toronto gave away its pick.

I said a late first rounder because of the drop off in talent this year & that Toronto's pick could be equivilant to a second rounder on a year where the draft is a little deeper. Plus the future considerations of a 2nd or 3rd would balance things a bit.

I don't think Conklin's worth a 1st rounder straight up in normal situations.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:37 AM
kyle

Quote:
I had a suspicion that Toronto gave away its pick.
It's usually a safe assumption that they've traded it for someone over 36.

Quote:
I said a late first rounder because of the drop off in talent this year & that Toronto's pick could be equivilant to a second rounder on a year where the draft is a little deeper. Plus the future considerations of a 2nd or 3rd would balance things a bit.

I don't think Conklin's worth a 1st rounder straight up in normal situations.
Still Hedberg has proven a lot more than Conklin and has, IMO, a lot more value than Conklin. He went for a 2004 2nd round pick (late 2nd in a weak draft pool) and I think that in any deal involving Conklin and the imaginary TOR 1st, Ty wouldn't be the centrepiece.

Plus he's only 28. No way Toronto would pick him up for another 7 years.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Harry

Get rid of Reasoner. He is nothing. Move a good team guy like Stoll up to the third line.

Think the Oil will finally five up on Rita?? DOesn't look like he has the jump.

They have some nice young d men coming up. They just have to get rid of some of the AHL calibre forwards. I'd like to see Raffi on a line with Stoll

Old
04-14-2004, 11:13 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Get rid of Reasoner. He is nothing. Move a good team guy like Stoll up to the third line.

Think the Oil will finally five up on Rita?? DOesn't look like he has the jump.

They have some nice young d men coming up. They just have to get rid of some of the AHL calibre forwards. I'd like to see Raffi on a line with Stoll
1. Reasoner is far from nothing. Did you notice when this team went into a major tailspin this year?

2. Stoll was on the third line for quite some time this year.

3. We don't really have a lot of AHL calibre forwards on our team, we just have too many forwards period. Our problem is not Reasoner though. Our problem is having a lack of a top line centre, and our exesive depth on the wing.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? Reasoner was IMO on the verge of absolutly lighting it up this year. Reasoner is a very very good hockey player...This just proved how underrated he is. He was having a decent start then got injured, then...of course the Oilers started to go on a losing streak....Coincidence?

Old
04-14-2004, 01:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Yeah you're not going to get too much support around here in getting rid of Reasoner. He is well liked by this board and city in general. He is going to be a real player for us next year. We expect big things from him I think he needs more offensive linemates next year. I was thinking

Smyth - Nedved - Dvorak
Torres - Horcoff - York
Isbister - Reasoner - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Pisani/Laraque

Thoughts?

I think Reasoner Isbister and Hemsky could click - Isbister can make space for Hemsky and Reasoner and Hemsky's magic will be allowed to florish with a great 2-way centre like Reasoner (see Marchant last year)

I think that lineup looks pretty solid. As long as Izzy can stay healthy

Closed Thread