HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part VI

Old
12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
The thread for the draft final is now up. I would suggest that Sunday night at 11:59 p.m. EST be the voting deadline.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
God Bless Canada

I want to thank everyone for their participation in ATD 12. And for the support, and yes, the patience shown while I've run this draft. It's not easy being absent-minded. I also want to thank those who submitted votes. We've often had a tough time getting guys to vote after the first two rounds. I believe the vote totals for the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final were 17, 20 and 16, respectively. I'm pretty confident that it's the highest percentage for voter turn-out in the final three rounds in a couple of years.

I hope everybody has a safe and happy Christmas and New Year's. If you're going to be in Saskatoon or Regina for the WJC, let me know. We'll have a few, ahem, beverages.

ATD 13 will probably start in January, at which point we'll be on the new cycle for the draft.

Old
12-14-2009, 06:01 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I want to thank everyone for their participation in ATD 12. And for the support, and yes, the patience shown while I've run this draft. It's not easy being absent-minded. I also want to thank those who submitted votes. We've often had a tough time getting guys to vote after the first two rounds. I believe the vote totals for the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final were 17, 20 and 16, respectively. I'm pretty confident that it's the highest percentage for voter turn-out in the final three rounds in a couple of years.

I hope everybody has a safe and happy Christmas and New Year's. If you're going to be in Saskatoon or Regina for the WJC, let me know. We'll have a few, ahem, beverages.

ATD 13 will probably start in January, at which point we'll be on the new cycle for the draft.
You did a swell job.

I'll be seeing you in Regina for sure.

Maybe if the group agrees we can postpone ATD13 until February or even March, just so they are spaced out a little better, then Januarys from then on.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:45 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Definite thanks for GBC for picking up the commish hat in the middle of the thing and doing a great job.

As I said in the other thread, Congratulations to the two finalists and especially the winner.

Also, I would like to say to Jungosi that you had my favorite team in the draft - strong at every playing position. The only weakness was at coach, but the lineup itself was so strong top to bottom.

I'll definitely be back for one of these in the future, probably the next one.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-15-2009 at 12:51 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:39 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Definite thanks for GBC for picking up the commish hat in the middle of the thing and doing a great job.

As I said in the other thread, Congratulations to the two finalists and especially the winner.

Also, I would like to say to Jungosi that you had my favorite team in the draft - strong at every playing position. The only weakness was at coach, but the lineup itself was so strong top to bottom.

I'll definitely be back for one of these in the future, probably the next one.
I echo these sentiments exactly.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Dreakmur

Thanks to EB for winning.

Now I get to continue pretending that if only I were in another division, I could have made the finals

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Jungosi

Send a message via ICQ to Jungosi
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I echo these sentiments exactly.
Wow! Thanks guys! If there wasn't for arrbez Jacques Demers would have been my coach. God damn it

I'd really like to thank both VanI and GBC for running the draft. I think this was the best-ran ATD so far. Now the painfull waiting for the next draft starts. Hope to see you around next time

Jungosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungosi View Post
Wow! Thanks guys! If there wasn't for arrbez Jacques Demers would have been my coach. God damn it

I'd really like to thank both VanI and GBC for running the draft. I think this was the best-ran ATD so far. Now the painfull waiting for the next draft starts. Hope to see you around next time
You hope to see 70s? You think he'd miss it?

If he doesn't participate, we know he's dead.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
a late January start is perfect for the atd imo

Cause i know i hate spending time in front of the computer when it is nice out and that will not happen so much if it occurs in the mid of winter

12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
God Bless Canada

LL does make a good point. Get it done before the weather gets nice. This draft, from start to finish, took about three months. With 32 teams, that's okay. You need nearly two months for the draft, and then you need time for assassinations, regular season votes and playoff votes. While I like the idea of two-day playoff rounds, I think the three-day or four-day rounds worked better.

If we wait until March, then we're probably concluding the draft in June. I won't be running a draft in June. If we start between late January and mid February, that means we should be done before the Canadian May long weekend. (The weekend before Memorial Day).

Old
12-15-2009, 06:26 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungosi View Post
Just to clarify, because I bolded the part about having my favourite team in the draft - you didn't. My favourite team won the draft. Yours was in my top-4 for sure. I was echoing the part about how strong it was top to bottom, except for Sinden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
You hope to see 70s? You think he'd miss it?

If he doesn't participate, we know he's dead.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
LL does make a good point. Get it done before the weather gets nice. This draft, from start to finish, took about three months. With 32 teams, that's okay. You need nearly two months for the draft, and then you need time for assassinations, regular season votes and playoff votes. While I like the idea of two-day playoff rounds, I think the three-day or four-day rounds worked better.

If we wait until March, then we're probably concluding the draft in June. I won't be running a draft in June. If we start between late January and mid February, that means we should be done before the Canadian May long weekend. (The weekend before Memorial Day).
Before switching to the new rotation, we did every odd-numbered draft in the spring/summer and they went just fine. Right?

ATD11 was from mid-March to mid-July. No problems there. Ditto for ATD9.

If we start in late January and go at the same pace of ATD12, then we're finished in late April. Start at the start of March, we're still done at the start of July. History has proven that when the playoffs are on, we're in our houses watching them, and we aren't far away from our computers and hfboards.

Really, starting that early means we will basically cram three ATDs into a 13-month period when the goal was to ease up a bit. Starting later will help prevent burnout. Then, after that, we start in early/mid January from then on since there won't be a just-finished ATD fresh in our minds.

With all that said, who says it has to be so rush-rush? With a year in between them, we can afford to let the whole process take 4 months. I don't mean drag out the playoffs, but why be so stingy with the deadlines? There would be no need to. Unless we are just draft junkies, addicted to seeing who gets picked next. But I thought the ATD was about more than that.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Just to clarify, because I bolded the part about having my favourite team in the draft - you didn't. My favourite team won the draft. Yours was in my top-4 for sure. I was echoing the part about how strong it was top to bottom, except for Sinden.

This is true.

Before switching to the new rotation, we did every odd-numbered draft in the spring/summer and they went just fine. Right?

If we start in late January and go at the same pace of ATD12, then we're finished in late April. Start at the start of March, we're still done at the start of July. History has proven that when the playoffs are on, we're in our houses watching them, and we aren't far away from our computers and hfboards.

Really, starting that early means we will basically cram three ATDs into a 13-month period when the goal was to ease up a bit. Starting later will help prevent burnout. Then, after that, we start in early/mid January from then on since there won't be a just-finished ATD fresh in our minds.

With all that said, who says it has to be so rush-rush? With a year in between them, we can afford to let the whole process take 4 months. I don't mean drag out the playoffs, but why be so stingy with the deadlines? There would be no need to. Unless we are just draft junkies, addicted to seeing who gets picked next. But I thought the ATD was about more than that.
The draft moves best when it moves in a quick fashion. We've consistently completed the draft itself in six to eight weeks since ATD 5. (I don't think anyone wants a return to the three-month ATD 4). When we have five or six picks in a day, the fellas get impatient. They complain. And if it happens enough, they're going to lose interest in an on-line draft without money on the line.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we had at least 45 per cent voter turnout in this draft with the three-day and four-day rounds. If you go any longer than that, the GMs who have been eliminated will lose interest.

You cited ATDs 9 and 11. Those were two drafts in which the playoffs dragged out. And it resulted in GMs who lost interest in a hurry, especially those who were eliminated from the playoffs. Don't recall the vote totals for those drafts. But I think it was single digits both times after the third round (and possibly after the second round).

I think we'll go to a one ATD per year next year. Start the ATD in late January or early February. Have it finished in mid May at the latest. Those who want to do an MLD can do it. (I would suggest starting it in time to have it finished as soon as possible in the summer. If you go to long in the summer, guys lose interest. If you wait too long to start it up, guys lose interest). And if you want to have your AAA draft, wait for the fall.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

I really enjoyed my first full out ATD, and would prefer to do more than one per year, but I can see how you guys might be prone to burn out after a few of them.

I do agree with GBC that faster is better. Towards the last 5-10 rounds of this one, I could barely bring myself to pay attention and couldn't wait for the playoffs to start. Any slower would be... worse.

I guess my preference would be 2 per year, but as fast paced as possible. Not sure if that leaves enough time for the MLD and AAA drafts, though.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:

What we are doing was the compromise that was agreed upon after much debate. Opening up the debates again will be nothing but trouble.