HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part VI

Old
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Leafs Forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Can we please not make a pick solely for the purpose of a bad joke?

I vote that Evil Sather drop Belak and make a real pick.
Not a bad idea certainly. Integrity and all that. I just don't know if enough people care.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Not a bad idea certainly. Integrity and all that. I just don't know if enough people care.
I can't say I mind. It's his team; if he wants to hurt himself by filling a quasi-useful spot with a mascot, so to speak, I don't really mind.

And to steal a line from GBC- heck, if he's in my division, I really don't mind.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I can't say I mind. It's his team; if he wants to hurt himself by filling a quasi-useful spot with a mascot, so to speak, I don't really mind.

And to steal a line from GBC- heck, if he's in my division, I really don't mind.
Bad news, Buggy. He's not in our division. And he won't be getting called up.

Anyways, raleh and I had a brief meeting of the minds. Our defence will be rounded out by a hard-shooting offensive player: Dave Ellett, D. And our centre will be a gritty goal-scorer often considered one of the more underrated players of the late 80s and early 90s: Dave Gagner, C.

Did anyone get a list for Mad?

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
EagleBelfour

Wade Belak should not count as a selection IMO, it dosn't demonstrate the hardwork and preparation some GM put into the ATD

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Ernie Russell, C/Rover

- 5'6, 160 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup (1906, 1907, 1908, 1910)
- ECAHA 1st All-Star Team (1907)
- ECAHA 2nd All-Star Team (1908)
- 4th in CAHL Scoring (1905)
- 5th, 1st, 5th in ECAHA Scoring (1906, 1907, 1908)
- 2nd, 8th, 2nd in NHA Scoring (1910, 1911, 1912)
- Stanley Cup Scoring:
- 1906: 1st on Wanderers, 5th overall
- 1907: 1st on Wanderers, 1st overall
- 1908: 1st on Wanderers, 1st overall
- 1910: 1st on Wanderers, 6th overall (Wanderers played 1 game, Ottawa played 4)
- NHA PIM Leader (1912)
- 184 Goals, 368 PIM in 101 Top-Level Games (assists not recorded most of his career)
- 31 Goals, 51 PIM in 11 Stanley Cup Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Ernie Russell played on all four Stanley Cup-winning Montreal Wanderer clubs and consistently figured among the leading scorers in the ECHA and later the NHA.

Although Russell could pass, stickhandle, and skate, his scoring instinct was his bread and butter. his genius around the net spurred the Redbands to cup wins in 1906, 1907, 1908, and 1910. Many have said that the only reason the Wanderers failed to win in 1909 as well was that Russell had been expelled by club brass, who'd been displeased that he played hockey for the Wanderers, but other sports for the MAAA. Upon his return in 1910, he and Newsy Lalonde engaged in a furious battle for the league scoring title, the likes of which had never been seen. Lalonde won 38-31 on the strength of a nine-goal performance in the last game of the season.

Russell operated at a frighteningly machine-like clip. For the first 50 years of the 20th century, there were only a handful of men as deadly around the enemy net as he was.

In a word: POACHER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1
Ernie Russell was a small man who probably did not weigh over 140 pounds (SIHR has him at 160)... his size was no problem on the ice. There are many of his ardent fans who compare him with the great Russell Bowie and certainly they had several attributes in common. Ernie was a fast skater and accomplished stickhandler, equally at home playing rover or centre (I found games where he was a LW too!) He was the only player of the era who seriously threatened Bowie as a goal scorer. Russell had the advantage of playing on much stronger teams than Bowie and in consequence was on four Stanley Cup Winners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL
Playing center or rover, Russell was a permier scorer in the early years of the 20th century... he was speedy and shifty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renfrew Millionaires
An accomplished skater & stickhandler
Russell was the star of game 1 of the 1906 Finals when the Wanderers surprised the cocky Ottawas with a 9-1 pasting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patricks: Hockey's Royal Family
the defending champions were 2:1 betting favourites, but the Wanderers obviously weren't listening to the neighbourhood bookies. Their fans went wild as Ernie Russell got four goals, Pud Glass got three and Moose Johnson shared a pair with Patrick in the hometown 9-1 victory.
Quote:
Ernie Russell figured prominently in the scoring.
Russell was huge against Ottawa in clinching the ECAHA Championship to retain the cup:

Quote:
Ottawa's hopes for a championship rested on defeating the Wanderers in their return match at the capital on March 2nd... there seemed little doubt as to the outcome after play got started. The smooth skating Patrick and Johnson were all over the Senators. Russell played a magnificent game, scoring five goals...
He was the only Wanderer who could score when Tommy Phillips' Thistles came to whisk away the cup. He scored both of their goals in a 4-2 defeat and then two goals in game 2, an 8-6 defeat:

Quote:
Patrick, Russell, and Johnson were the best for the Wanderers.
However, when it was time to take the cup back, Ernie delivered the goods and the team won this time, taking game one 7-2 on the strength of Russell's four goals, before losing game two 6-5 but still winning the series:

Quote:
The super sniper Ernie Russell scored four.
Russell was again the star in the 1908 cup defense against the Ottawa Vics, scoring 10 of the team's 22 goals over 2 games.:

Quote:
Art Ross and Ernie Russell starred for the Redbands.
Russell also spoiled the Renfrew Millionaires' anticipated debut in 1910:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patricks: Hockey's Royal Family
They were bombed 7-2 as the Wandrers' big scoring machine, Ernie Russell, ripped four shots in, three of them in the game's opening minutes.
That Scappy Little Bugger...

I think Russell was a scrappy player with a good 4th line mentality. Thanks to there being very little detail about his play to validate this, I present to you a list of drafted forwards born within 4 years of Ernie Russell (1879-1887) - Ernie put up more PIMs per game than any of them. (Note that only Lalonde, Bowie, and Tommy Smith were top-5 in goals in their league more often among this generation! - Smith's totals include three times in slightly lesser leagues: OPHL and IHL.)

Name DOB GP G PIM G/GP PIM/GP GP w/PIM* Top-5s
Name DOB GP G PIM G/GP PIM/GP GP w/PIM* Top-5s in Goals
Ernie Russell 1883 112 215 419 1.92 3.74 6
Bruce Stuart 1881 104 111 280 1.07 3.33 84 3
Harry Smith 1883 65 150 211 2.31 3.25 4
Newsy Lalonde 1887 254 329 769 1.30 3.03 11
Tommy Phillips 1883 45 71 100 1.58 2.56 39 1
Marty Walsh 1884 75 167 181 2.23 2.41 4
Pud Glass 1884 103 109 221 1.06 2.15 0
Tom Dunderdale 1887 289 226 527 0.78 1.82 5
Didier Pitre 1883 239 267 433 1.12 1.81 6
Tommy Smith 1886 175 274 288 1.57 1.65 7
Cyclone Taylor 1885 228 246 355 1.08 1.56 4
Russell Bowie 1880 82 249 43 3.04 1.39 31 10
Frank McGee 1882 41 135 56 3.29 1.37 4
Blair Russell 1881 69 109 68 1.58 1.36 50 5
Herb Jordan 1884 61 146 19 2.39 0.31 4

* Some players had seasons where PIMs were not recorded; to avoid skewing results, their PIMs are divided only by the number of games they played in seasons where PIMs were recorded. This only counts top-level hockey: NHA, PCHA, St-Cup, ECAHA, ECHA, OPHL, CAHL, FAHL, IHL.

* It may be said that Ernie Russell's "generation" is truly the players born from 1879-1884, with Russell right on the tail end of that generation, but that would be too subjective and I decided to use an objective 9-year range with his birth year right in the middle to define his generation.

Russell's Stanley Cup Scoring Dominance

According to The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, here are the playoff and cup final goals leaders through 1926:

NameGPG
Frank McGee2263
Frank Foyston4737
Alf Smith2236
Ernie Russell1131
Newsy Lalonde2927
Tom Phillips1627
Harry Westwick2426
Marty Walsh825
Ernie Johnson2123
Joe Malone1523
Pud Glass1623
Harry Smith721

But, not all cup games are created equal. Some players played in easy Stanley Cup matches, including Russell. Let's look at the leaders as apples-to-apples, three different ways. First, here are these leaders with "easy" matches removed:

NameGPG
Frank Foyston4737
Newsy Lalonde2927
Frank McGee1426
Tom Phillips1423
Ernie Russell818
Ernie Johnson1618
Alf Smith1414
Harry Smith513
Pud Glass1113
Harry Westwick1611
Joe Malone129
Marty Walsh37

Russell is one of only three on this list who averaged over 2 GPG in the "legitimate" matches, the others being Harry Smith and Marty Walsh, who combined for 8 "legitimate" matches.

Now let's look at only the Wanderer forwards during the years in which they played cup games (1906-1910) since the core of the team stayed mostly the same:

NameGPG
Ernie Russell1131
Pud Glass1623
Ernie Johnson1619
Lester Patrick811

But of course, some of those were the easy, lopsided games. Let's look at these Wanderers forwards based on just the "legitimate" matches:

NameGPG
Ernie Russell818
Pud Glass1113
Ernie Johnson1113
Lester Patrick67

So not only did Russell carry the offensive load for this dynasty, but he also relied very little on lopsided matches to boost his totals.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Anyways, raleh and I had a brief meeting of the minds. Our defence will be rounded out by a hard-shooting offensive player: Dave Ellett, D. And our centre will be a gritty goal-scorer often considered one of the more underrated players of the late 80s and early 90s: Dave Gagner, C.
I think I've mentioned it before, but Ellett is one of my favorite players ever. If he was a rightie, I'd definitely have taken him over Green.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

MacArcand selects:

Terry Crisp, coach
&
Igor Liba, RW/C

Old
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
God Bless Canada

Here's the thing, fellas. I knew from the outset, as soon as I saw this extended format, that somebody might pull something like this. A guy like Sather, who has a, well, let's say a more relaxed attitude towards the draft, was a prime candidate. I knew there would be GMs who don't like the extra six rounds. Some, like Reds, question why we have it. Others, like Evil, are going to have fun with it.

Really, it's no different than the guy who picks a seventh round NHL pick in my fantasy hockey pool farm draft. (Memo to those in fantasy pools: do not pick guys directly from the Manitoba Junior League).

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:31 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Wade Belak should not count as a selection IMO, it dosn't demonstrate the hardwork and preparation some GM put into the ATD
Seriously... the pick should be stricken from the records. It was made to get the undies of guys like you and I in a knot, and it was successful. Don't sully the draft with this crap.

Vote yes on proposition 28: to have Belak removed from ATD12.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Here's the thing, fellas. I knew from the outset, as soon as I saw this extended format, that somebody might pull something like this. A guy like Sather, who has a, well, let's say a more relaxed attitude towards the draft, was a prime candidate. I knew there would be GMs who don't like the extra six rounds. Some, like Reds, question why we have it. Others, like Evil, are going to have fun with it.
This is all true. It's evident that we didn't think through the extended format enough, because some are still (genuinely) confused about a) positional restrictions b) importance.

In the future, I think the MLDers need to be left to the MLD. I would suggest, though, that every team need both a coach and an assistant coach/manager. I think the importance of that role is really understated right now.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:35 PM
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:

Really, it's no different than the guy who picks a seventh round NHL pick in my fantasy hockey pool farm draft. (Memo to those in fantasy pools: do not pick guys directly from the Manitoba Junior League).
Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it. A lot of guys weren't going to like going six extra rounds(which can be very pointless to those who aren't into the MLD), so hey, if they wanna have fun with it, I'm all for it. The ATD is to learn, but it's to have fun, too.

The Mighty Duck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
MXD

The Silver Seven Sons of Canada selects...

*The lone 4-times league leader in goals scored (D-Men) remaining, Jack McIntyre.

And some other guy.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

D Robert Svehla

This guy is so gutsy he stared down the most powerful organization in hockey and shook them down for money for a needy team in Slovakia.

You think that's ballsy? Try wearing #67 in Toronto!

Team Achievements:
- Olympic Bronze (1992)
- World Championship Bronze (1992)
- Czech League Championship (1992)
- Swedish League Championship (1994)
- 1st in Pool B, World Championships (1995)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1996)
- World Championship Bronze (2003)

Individual Achievements:
- Golden Stick winner as top Czech player (1992)
- Czech 1st All-Star Team (1992)
- Top Defender at World Championships (1992)
- World Championship All-Star Team (1995)
- 2nd, 2nd, 1st in scoring by defensemen in Czech & Swedish leagues (1992, 1993, 1994)
- All-Star Game Participant (1997)
- NHL hit leader (2002)
- Top-13 in NHL Blueliner Scoring four times (10th, 11th, 12th, 13th)
- Top-15 in Norris Voting twice (14th, 14th)
- Logged 25:00 per game when ice time was tracked in his last four NHL seasons.
- Missed just six games in eight full NHL seasons
- Career adjusted +47

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
...For Svehla, the decisive break came in the 1991-92 season. It was his first time to play on Czechoslovakia's national team. With them he won the bronze at the Albertville Olympics and later at the World Championship, where he was named best defenceman. With the Dukla Trencin club he took the championship title, and at the end of the season he won the Golden Stick Award as the top player in the country. From there his career took off.

Toward the end of the 1994-95 season, he managed to play five games for the Panthers. No one could have imagined how quickly he would become their leading defenceman.
At the age of 25 he was still considered a rookie, but on the ice he didn't look at all like the typical nervous greenhorn. Instead, he became one of the team's workhorses. Former coach **** *******called him the toughest player to come into his hands during his three years with the Panthers. Svehla could get respect in front of the net. As an experienced skater, he cleared space at the net and attacked near the boards just as strongly. But he wasn't getting about 30 minutes of ice time per game for those reasons alone. He brought the Panthers perspective and a talent for clever passing and hard shooting.

In the spring of 1996 the Panthers quite unexpectedly progressed to the Stanley Cup finals. With 57 points, Svehla had an excellent season behind him. He also did quite well in the playoffs, where he and ***** ******* allowed Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr only two goals in the best-of-seven finals of the Eastern Conference against Pittsburgh. (see below for more on this)

After representing Slovakia at the 1996 World Cup, Svehla went on to score a career-high 13 goals in 1996-97, collected 45 points and lined up for the NHL All-Star Game. Svehla went on to play eight seasons in Florida and represented his homeland at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano and later that spring at the World Championships before being acquired by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2002.

One of the more durable players in the league, Svehla played his fourth consecutive season without missing a game in 2002-03 and was a member of Slovakia's silver medal team at the 2003 World Championships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL
Florida caught a break when Calgary drafted Svehla in 1992 and then refused to offer him a one-way deal. He stayed in Czechoslovakia, preferring league play to a possible career in the minors, and two years later the Flames gave up and traded him to the Panthers for a pair of draft picks. Oops. Svehla joined Florida late in the 94-95 season and almost instantly became their top defenseman. He could do everything. He hit hard and often, he blocked shots, he moved the puck speedily, he played with pain that made team doctors wince. For eight seasons, he was their leader, but when he threatened to retire in 2002, the Panthers sent him to Toronto for Dimitri Yushkevich. Outside the NHL, Svehla was fiercely proud of his young country. In fact, when he agreed to come to Toronto, he arranged for the Leafs to supply his home club of Trencin with much-needed money. In 1992, he played at the Olympics and the World Championships with Czechoslovakia but since then, Svehla has played with the Slovaks every chance he could get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Hockey Pla-By-Play, 1996-97 and 1997-98
Just the kind of player the Panthers needed last season: a mobile defenceman with some offensive talent... an excellent powerplay point man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC Sports, 2003
Toronto's most reliable defenceman in 2002-03
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shoalts, Globe and Mail, 2003
The Toronto Maple Leafs lost their best defenceman yesterday when Robert Svehla announced his retirement
Details from games 5 and 6 of the PIT/FLA series from 1996:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times, 5/25/1996
The teams furiously exchanged hard body checks in the opening period, eager to establish dominance. During one sequence, Mario Lemieux punched defenseman Robert Svehla in the face after Svehla had knocked the puck away. Svehla then retaliated with a forearm that lifted Lemieux off the ice and onto his back. Svehla went to the penalty box for roughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times, 5/27/1996
Groggy, Jagr didn't return until less than a minute remained in the period. He promptly showed his explosiveness with a near-breakaway thwarted only by defenseman Robert Svehla's lunging shoulder nudge... And shortly thereafter, Lemieux was bearing in on another breakaway when Svehla dove fully extended and flicked the puck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Worrell, THN interview, 2004
The toughest player I've ever seen is Robert Svehla. The amount of pain that guy can endure is unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random hfboards Panthers fans
One of my favorite stories about Svehla was when a doctor new the NHL had to give Robert stitches for a cut on his face. When the doctor came with a needle to numb the area, Svehla said no, just stitch it up so he could get back out there. Robert felt the anasthetic(sp) would take too long and he didn't want the team to have to wait... Svehla was just an awesome player for this team... He was only the best defenseman we've ever had... Someone who will hit, shoot, and lead... Svehla took the blame for so many screw-ups, solely due to bein on the ice so much with a defense just as weak as we are now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renowned hockey historian seventieslord
Yushkevich + offense - injuries = Svehla.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The Silver Seven Sons of Canada selects...

*The lone 4-times league leader in goals scored (D-Men) remaining, Jack McIntyre.

And some other guy.
You've been had. McIntyre is not a defenseman.. never was. He is mislabelled. See AAA10 for more details. He did probably fill in on D sporadically though.

A good defensive forward though, with reasonable offensive talent.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
This is all true. It's evident that we didn't think through the extended format enough, because some are still (genuinely) confused about a) positional restrictions b) importance.

In the future, I think the MLDers need to be left to the MLD. I would suggest, though, that every team need both a coach and an assistant coach/manager. I think the importance of that role is really understated right now.
That's going to be the case as the ATD is going to be come an annual event only, leaving plenty of MLD time.

The importance is those are hundreds of players worth noting, and we need to see what players from last years late-round ATD's and the whole MLD deserve to rise and fall somewhat, so we can continue to move forward. And, as always, it's about learning more about more players- which the extra rounds do. More people researching for those rounds leads to a better chance at new discoveries too. Do we discover that Alf Skinner was actually excellent defensively and might be worthy of a 3rd-line role in an ATD had the minor league rounds not gone down, for example?

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
MXD

hummmmm.... Then he'll be a W/D playing D untill I get rid of him. That's the cost of having GBC picking Ellett and not really wanting to do anymore research.

And I'll be Harry Orignal Watson, LW. so McIntyre will play D.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

- Lorne Campbell is an interesting pick. Nice research. By the way, I think he's a center. the Trail shows him playing center in the cup matches in 1908.

- I, too, wonder why Earl Robertson hasn't been taken in an MLD. I took Frank Freaking McCool over Robertson to back up my AAA goalie.... why?

- Every pick, as bad as it may be, shouldbe made in earnest, with improvement of the team at heart. the Belak pick was not. It was a joke. Revoke the joke!

Old
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- I, too, wonder why Earl Robertson hasn't been taken in an MLD. I took Frank Freaking McCool over Robertson to back up my AAA goalie.... why?

![/B]
I'd still take some contemporaries of Robertson ahead of him.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
That's going to be the case as the ATD is going to be come an annual event only, leaving plenty of MLD time.
That will certainly help.

However, your point about MLD discoveries is not lost on me. I think there's a better way to increase awareness and interest in the lower levels, and I think it might be to bind the MLD/AAA/AA teams to ATD teams as affiliates and do all of their seasons simultaneously. From the 30s to now, affiliates have been the life blood of player development and players moving up (and down) the chain is a fact of pro sports.

I think we'd see a few more ATD games participate at the lower levels. Even if they don't, a few will want to know what's happening in the 'minors' so that they know who to call up during the season.

This would obviously be a HUGE change, and a huge challenge in coordinating all of this voting.

I could do up a big proposal on this if there's interest, but I might be thinking a little too big.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

St. Gerorges drafts Fred Lake.

Quote:
Born in Moosomin, Saskatchewan, Fred Lake first played senior-level hockey for the Moosomin hockey club in 1900–01. In 1902, he turned professional with Pittsburgh of the Western Professional Hockey League (WPHL). In 1903, he helped Pittsburgh win the "US Professional Championship" against Houghton, Michigan. For 1903–04, he would sign up for the new International Professional Hockey League (IPHL) first playing for Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan before moving to Portage Lake-Houghton, where he would play for three seasons until 1907. He moved back to Canada in 1907, playing first for the Winnipeg Strathconas then the Winnipeg Maple Leafs. As a member of the Maple Leafs he would play in an unsuccessful Stanley Cup challenge against the Montreal Wanderers in 1908. For the 1908–09 season, he re-signed with Pittsburgh of the WPHL. However, after three games he was released because of his rough play. He was signed by the Ottawa Hockey Club of the Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey Association (ECHA) and helped Ottawa win the Stanley Cup. He would remain a player with Ottawa for four seasons, winning another Stanley Cup championship in 1911, before being traded to the Toronto Ontarios in 1913, where he played for one season. For his final season, he returned via a trade to Ottawa. He only played two games for the Senators that season and retired after the season.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:10 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

St. Georges drafts Jack Marks.

Quote:
Marks began intermediate level play for Belleville of the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA) in 1899. He would play for Belleville for four seasons until 1904. He was suspended for a year in 1903 for playing professional baseball in 1902. When the Federal Amateur Hockey League (FAHL) started in 1904, he joined the Brockville team for two seasons. At the end of 1906, he signed up for New Glasgow's Stanley Cup challenge. For the 1907 season, he became a professional with the Canadian Soo team of the International Professional Hockey League (IPHL). In the 1907-08 season, he started with Pittsburgh of the IPHL, and jumped after three games to Brantford of the Ontario Professional Hockey League (OPHL), eventually playing in the Toronto PHC's Stanley Cup challenge. He played 1909 for Brantford, and jumped to the ill-fated Canadian Hockey Association (CHA) for four games with the All-Montreal team, returning to Brantford after the CHA demise. In 1911, he played again in the United States, playing a season of exhibition for a Chicago professional team which was attempting to start professional hockey in Chicago.

In 1911, he returned to Canada, to join the Quebec Bulldogs of the National Hockey Association, playing six seasons of the club, winners of the Stanley Cup in 1912 and 1913. When Quebec did not play in the NHL's first season of 1917-18, he was drafted to the Montreal Wanderers from Quebec for the start of the inaugural 1917–18 NHL season. After the Wanderers folded, he was assigned to the Canadiens, but was loaned to the Toronto club, winning the 1918 Stanley Cup. He did not play in 1918–19, but attempted a comeback in the 1919–20 season when Quebec AC activated a team in the NHL, playing only one further game.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I don't think it was technically required..ideal, but not required...but don't quote me on that.
I couldn't tell if it was a rule or just a suggestion.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

CRAP! I wanted Fred Lake. Still, nice to see another Capital skater gone.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:19 PM
EagleBelfour

With our 28th selection, the 842nd overall selection in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select right winger Art Gagne

Nickname:
Height: 5'7''
Weight: 160 lbs
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: October 11, 1897
Place of Birth: Ottawa, Canada
Date of Death: October 06, 1988 (Age: 90)

Stanley Cup Finalist (1923)
Art Ross Trophy (1923) *WCHL*
First All-Star Team (1923, 1926) *WCHL/WHL*
Second All-Star Team (1922) *WCHL*

Western Canada Hockey League [1921-25]
Western Hockey League [1925-26]

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 4th, 7th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (3rd, 5th, 8th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 3rd, 7th)
Top-10 Penalty Minutes (3rd, 6th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (2nd, 2nd)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (2nd, 6th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (1st)
Top-10 Playoff Penalty Minutes (5th)
National Hockey League [1926-32]
Top-10 Scoring (6th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (6th)
Top-10 Assist (7th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (8th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (5th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
In 1920-21 Gagne ventured west and landed in Edmonton where he played for the Eskimos. The following year he signed with the Eskimos to play in the WCHL. In October, 1923 he was traded to Regina. He moved with the club when the franchise transferred to Portland and he was soon traded back to Edmonton with Eddie Shore.

Gagne was traded another six times during his career, and that doesn't include his free-agent signings. It was not until 1926-27 at the age of 29 that Gagne first made it to the NHL as a member of the Montreal Canadiens. He suited up for 44 games, contributing 14 goals and 17 points on a powerhouse team that included such stars as; Howie Morenz and Aurel Joliat. Gagne remained in Montreal for another two seasons before being traded to the Boston Bruins for cash in 1929. His tenure with the Bruins lasted all of six games before he was sent to the Ottawa Senators. He stayed with the club through the 1930-31 season. Gagne's final NHL stop was a 13-game stop with the Detroit Falcons in 1930-31. In 228 NHL games he recorded 67 goals and 100 points.

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12662
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...?player_id=114

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 11-12-2009 at 12:10 PM.
EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I think there's a better way to increase awareness and interest in the lower levels, and I think it might be to bind the MLD/AAA/AA teams to ATD teams as affiliates and do all of their seasons simultaneously. From the 30s to now, affiliates have been the life blood of player development and players moving up (and down) the chain is a fact of pro sports.
That would create a huge block of time between the drafting and voting though which may cause GMs uninterested in the pursuit of the next best to lose interest in the main draft.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote