HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part VI

Old
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Eric Staal, C

- 6'4", 205 lbs
- Stanley Cup (2006)
- NHL 2nd All-Star Team (2006)
- 4th in Hart Voting (2006)
- Top-11 in goals 3 times (5th, 8th, 11th)
- 16th in assists (2006)
- Top-15 in points twice (8th, 15th)
- Top-6 in playoff goals twice (3rd, 6th)
- NHL Playoff assist leader (2006)
- Top-10 in playoff points twice (1st, 9th)
- One game missed in first five seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Entering his second year with the Carolina Hurricanes Staal's offensive tear continued as he racked up 100 points, (45 goals, 55 assists) in the 2005-06 NHL regular season. That season, he led the Hurricanes and was sixth best in the league in point production. His offensive power contributed to Carolina's franchise best regular season in history as they entered the NHL playoffs in the second seed of the Eastern Conference. Staal continued to light the lamp in the 2006 playoffs scoring many timely goals including seven power play goals. Staal's youthful enthusiasm and relentless forechecking helped the Carolina Hurricanes win their first Stanley Cup in franchise history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockbio.com
rookie year started with a bang in Boston, as he scored his first NHL goal with less than two minutes left in the third period to beat the Bruins. He picked up his first assist n the same game, launching a five-game helper streak... Opponents tested him with hard hits in the corners and stick-checks in front of the net. Eric loved every second of it... From the moment he joined the Canes, Eric had been compared to Ron Francis, both for his ability and team-first attitude.

Carolina hardly looked like a Cup contender when the postseason began. The Canes dropped their first two games to the Montreal Canadiens, surrendering six goals in the each contest. Eric made his first significant contribution in game 3, scoring in overtime for a 2-1 victory. Energized by the win, Carolina swept the next three games to set up a showdown with the New Jersey Devils. Again, Eric netted the biggest goal of the series. After the Canes breezed to a 6-0 win in Game 1, Scott Gomez appeared to give the Devils a victory two nights later with a late third-period goal. Eric stole New Jersey's thunder, however, tying the contest with three seconds left. The series against the Sabres was a seven-game rollercoaster ride with six contests decided by a single goal. Eric registered a point in each of the first five games, running his franchise-record scoring streak to 15 games. It was the NHL’s longest since Pavel Bure’s 16-gamer in 1994... Eric answered with two goals and an assist against the Oilers in Game 5, but Carolina lost on its home ice in OT... Ward was the choice for Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP for his stellar play in goal, but Eric’s performance was not overlooked. With nine goals and 19 assists, he led the NHL in postseason scoring.

Though his scoring is down a bit, he has been feisty and intense, two of his trademark qualities. And while Brind'Amour still wears the captain’s C in Carolina, Eric has been able to rally the team with his attitude and work ethic. To veterans on the Canes, he might seem like a little brother in years. But in terms of production and energy, he's Carolina's main man.

Though he’s big and physical, he is at his best in open ice when he can use his speed, vision and stickhandling skills to his advantage. While Eric likes to control the puck, he knows how to create space for himself when he doesn’t have it. This, combined with a quick, accurate shot, makes him a dangerous goal scorer. Eric, however, is most dangerous as a playmaker. He is a great passer who regularly sets up teammates with good scoring chances.

Eric is the rare young player who understands his responsibilities on both ends of the ice. While not a grinder, he’s more than willing to mix it up in the corners. Thanks to his long reach and quick hands, he’s also excellent on faceoffs. Not surprisingly, Eric is usually on the ice with the game on the line and his team up by a goal. Due to his hard work off the ice, Eric thrives the more ice time he gets. He’s particularly effective in the third period. His work ethic and production have earned the respect of his teammates and make him a .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydraft.ca
Staal certainly had pundits making lofty predictions for his career, but very few of them expected this much, this soon. He has been used in all situations, from the power play to the penalty kill, and excelled offensively in all areas. Staal is also a great skater and can make moves in tight and at high speeds, making him hard to defend against. He is highly creative and should enjoy a long prosperous career playing at a top level in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THN
ASSETS: Owns a big-time shot and the awareness of a natural goal-scorer. Has great size to fend off blue-liners. Plays a complete game and is good on face-offs...one of the NHL's best power forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Hermit
Though Eric Staal has never managed to recapture the magic that saw him score 100 points in his sophomore season in 2005-06 he continues to be one of the most dangerous offensive forces in the league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canescountry.com
has such a presence and is so important to all things Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canescountry.com
For those of you who vividly remember the 2005-06 season from start to finish, Staal was a thoroughly dominant force from the get-go. Opponents were overwhelmed by his combination of speed, power and skill. He wasn't just a game-changer, he was the pivotal player on the ice every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THN, 05/03/2009
with a monster performance in Game 2, Staal did what almost nobody else was able to do all of this season – he made Zdeno Chara look downright ordinary.

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I think we should extened the draft so we go over a 1000 players picked for the frst time in atd hstory

two more double rounds will do that

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
I think we should extened the draft so we go over a 1000 players picked for the frst time in atd hstory

Base on the reactions on the Belak pick and the Belak pick itself, I do not think people are particularly eager to do it, nor do they desire to do it or see much point in doing it. Just my perceptionms though; could be wrong I suppose.

I'm personally, not too eager to do such a thing.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:14 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I never actually received VCL's list
Sorry man. I didn't even see your post, or else I definitely would've, and instead I went to take a nap. I'm assuming I'm up right now?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Sorry man. I didn't even see your post, or else I definitely would've, and instead I went to take a nap. I'm assuming I'm up right now?
I'm on your ignore list now

And yes, you're up

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
jarek

Let's end it at the originally scheduled date. I think a lot of us have been eager to start arguing.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:

I'd be up for that, but I think the majority probably wouldn't be.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
BRG selects:

Felix Potvin, G
Rob Niedermayer, C
Well, at least he doesn't have to worry about Scott Niedermayer taking less money to sign elsewhere...

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Let's end it at the originally scheduled date. I think a lot of us have been eager to start arguing.
yes, let's.

if anyone wants to do a quickie extra draft AFTER the playoffs (a christmas season optional minor league draft - *shudder*) then more power to ya

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
if anyone wants to do a quickie extra draft AFTER the playoffs (a christmas season optional minor league draft - *shudder*) then more power to ya
I support this idea even if it is only a few GMs. That way everyone is happy. We determine a rough top 1000 and finish the draft by Christmas

Old
11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I'm on your ignore list now

And yes, you're up
Nah, your posts are just go unnoticed without that beautiful baby blue highlighting your name.

Anyways, might not be the "best players available", but whatever. I want my depth players to be good character guys, that I like. I know there are others with much better accomplishments, but these are two guys that I feel should probably be in a MLD in some capacity, so yeah.

C Cliff Ronning
and G Richard Brodeur (heh, I can have Brodeur replace Brodeur, if heaven forbid, Marty goes down!)

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Nah, your posts are just go unnoticed without that beautiful baby blue highlighting your name.

Anyways, might not be the "best players available", but whatever. I want my depth players to be good character guys, that I like. I know there are others with much better accomplishments, but these are two guys that I feel should probably be in a MLD in some capacity, so yeah.

C Cliff Ronning
and G Richard Brodeur (heh, I can have Brodeur replace Brodeur, if heaven forbid, Marty goes down!)
And they'll never know the difference!

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:

I'm all for this. It should be longer

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Tidewater selects G Billy Nicholson and D Sergei Babinov

Old
11-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
3 votes to expand the draft for two more double rounds so we get over a 1000 players

one nay against it

3-1

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

i say 'nay' (the Belak thing took the wind out of my sails)

and even one nay should veto it: changing rules in the middle of a game is never a good idea

look guys, why not just have a quickie draft AFTER the playoffs is all done

or....

how about everyone (everyone who wants to) submit three picks via PM when doing regular season voting and the results will be tallied and posted with the standings, multiple vote players making the final bottom-of-the-top-1000 list and those that got one vote will be listed and can be argued for or against.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Leafs Forever

The Cairo Desert Dogs round out their roster by selecting RW Bill "Bulldog" Fairbairnan a second team all-star guy who fills in very well as a backup, G Roland Melanson

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

look guys, why not just have a quickie draft AFTER the playoffs is all done
For the record, I'm on board with this idea and not on board with extending the draft by two rounds.

Old
11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

or we could just have a free agency thread AFTER the draft is finished, like has been done after some minor league drafts before

that way if you have 2 or 3 guys you think deserving of selection but weren't, you could post it there; if you have 10 you can post 10; if you have none then post none

Old
11-12-2009, 10:35 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
I think it's time to end the draft and start the assasination.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
nik jr

Owls select

LW/C Sergei Nemchinov

and

D Kjell Samuelsson

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
God Bless Canada

A no thanks from me on the extra two rounds. We've been at this for almost two months now. We've had a hard enough time keeping the attention of all the GMs as it is. Adding two more rounds is only going to make things worse. The timed part of the draft is done, and now we just need to make up skipped picks from the following GMs:

*papershoes: 7 picks (Rounds 24-30). paper is well aware, but he hasn't had a chance to make up the picks.
*Reds4Life: 4 picks. He asked to be skipped earlier.
*chaosrevolver: 2 picks.

Please make up the picks at the earliest convenience.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 11-13-2009 at 08:13 AM.
God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
With our 27th selection, the 841st overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select left winger Albert Daniel Kerr

Stanley Cup Champion (1909, 1911)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1914)
First All-Star Team (1909) *ECHA*
First All-Star Team (1914) *PCHA*
Second All-Star Team (1917) *PCHA*

Nickname: Dubbie
Height: 5'10''
Weight: 175 lbs
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: June 19, 1888
Place of Birth: Brockville, Canada
Date of Death: September 17, 1941 (Age: 53)

Eastern Canada Hockey League [1908-09]
Top-10 Scoring (5th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (5th)
*Assist were not recorded*
National Hockey Association [1909-12]
Top-10 Scoring (2nd, 5th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 4th)
Top-10 Penalty Minutes (8th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (3rd)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (3rd)
[B]Pacific Coast Hockey League [1913-20]
Top-10 Scoring (2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (4th, 5th, 8th, 8th)
Top-10 Assist (2nd, 2nd, 9th)
Top-10 Penalty Minutes (3rd, 3rd, 3rd)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (4th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (4th)
Top-10 Playoff Penalty Minutes (2nd)

- Kerr missed much of the 1909-10 season with appendicitis to start the year and a had a skate cut in his right eye on January 11th, 1910
- He scored goals in 12 consecutive games during the 1910-11 season
- Twice in his career did Dubbie Kerr scored 5 goals in a single game: on February 27th 1909 against the Shamrocks and January 1911 against the Wanderers
- Kerr announced his retirement on December 2nd, 1920
- Passed away in Iroquois Falls, ontario at the age of 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Albert "Dubbie" Kerr started his pro hockey career as a high scoring left winger with the Toronto Pros of the Ontario Professional Hockey League in 1909. After only three games with Toronto, he jumped to the Ottawa Silver Seven. He promptly led them to a Stanley Cup victory!

Kerr, along with center Marty Walsh and Billy Gilmour became the most prolific scoring line in the ECHA.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail of the Stanley Cup, vol.1
With the Senators he played left wing on a line with Billy Gilmour and centred by Marty Walsh. This line was the class of the league and they romped the Stanley Cup.

He played two more years with the Senators being on another Cup Winner in 1911. That year he was the sensation of the league, scoring in twelve consecutive games and finishing second only to Marty Walsh for the scoring leadership. The line of Kerr, Walsh and Ridpath combined for a total of 91 goals.

Sites:
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...d=17997&mode=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbie_Kerr
http://ottawahockeylegends.blogspot....bbie-kerr.html

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:36 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
3 votes to expand the draft for two more double rounds so we get over a 1000 players

one nay against it

3-1
If we extend the draft by 2 more rounds, I'm doing zero research for them and going 100% homer, since I'll just assume these additional picks will have zero effect on how the main team does.

You may take that as a "nay" if you wish.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Well, at least he doesn't have to worry about Scott Niedermayer taking less money to sign elsewhere...
You know what the worst part about that pick is? Never did I once realize I was putting the Niedermayer brothers on the team team. Obviously I knew I had Scott, and knew I was going after Rob, but in my mind I kept them as seperate entities.

Very happy to have Rob, though. I've considered bringing him up to the ATD a couple times now, but his track record on paper probably hasn't justified it well enough. From what I've seen of him, though, he's an awesome asset to have. Pahlsson's a bit better defensively as him, but really if Pahlsson didn't have the Selke finishes(and the should-be win, stupid voting system), I wouldn't see too much difference between them. Rob also brings a lot of leadership and versatility(can play all three forward positions), which is very nice for a defensive forward minor leaguer. Glad to have Potvin as well. The ATD's basically half Canuck fans and half Leaf fans, and I already got the Canuck vote with Luongo, so I figured I'd grab Potvin, who I'm sure still has a soft spot in the hearts of some Leafs fans. Seriously, though, Potvin was a very good goaltender throughout the 90s, and he was probably the last goalie picked, so I figure he's close to the best I could get.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote