HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12 Line-up Assassination Thread

Old
11-12-2009, 06:31 AM
pappyline

vCash: 500
TORONTO TOROS

Coach: Tommy Gorman
Assistant Coach Trainer:Lloyd Percival

Bert Olmstead-Jean Beliveau(C)-Andy Bathgate
Marc Tardiff-Ulf Nilsson -Bill Mosienko
Donnie Marshall-Walt Tkaczuk-Murray Balfour
Ab McDonald-Fred Stanfield-Vic Stasiuk
Bronco Horvath

Allan Stanley- Al Macinnis(A)
Elmer "Moose" Vasko-Fern Flaman(A)
Lars-Erik Sjoberg-Doug Barkley
Paul Shmyr

Harry Lumley
Al Rollins

PP1
Bert Olmstead-Jean Beliveau(C)-Andy Bathgate
Lars-Erik Sjoberg-Al MacInnes

PP2
Marc Tardiff-Ulf Nilsson -Bill Mosienko
Fred Stanfield-Doug Barkley

Pk1
Donnie Marshall-Walt Tkaczuk
Allan Stanley- Al Macinnis

Pk2
Fred Stanfield-Murray Balfour
Elmer "Moose" Vasko-Fern Flaman

Call-Ups
Nick Mickoski-George Gee-Chico Maki
Jack "Tex" Evans-Jim Morrison
"Sugar" Jim Henry

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:58 AM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
[B][CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]
Power Play Units
Roberts-Bentley-Middleton-Potvin-Carlyle
Sutter-Lach-St. Louis-DesJardins-Maxwell

One thing I am curious about is that you have 2 forwards that are renowned for playing the point on the PP (Bentley & Robert) yet you chose to go with all D on the points. Can see why you don't move Bentley there as I don't see a alternative at centre after him & Lach but why not Robert manning a point.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
One thing I am curious about is that you have 2 forwards that are renowned for playing the point on the PP (Bentley & Robert) yet you chose to go with all D on the points. Can see why you don't move Bentley there as I don't see a alternative at centre after him & Lach but why not Robert manning a point.
Thanks for the advice, pappy. I wanted to use Bentley on the point, but when we missed out on Chapman, it meant our options for the second PP unit were pretty much gone. (Lach would have obviously moved up to the first unit, and Chapman would have centred the second). I like Metro, and Mikey Richards is one of my favourite players in the world. But I don't think they'd fit the second unit.

But Robert would probably do better than DesJardins or Maxwell.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
overpass

The Renfrew Millionaires are complete.

Coach: Billy Reay

Valeri Kharlamov - Sergei Fedorov - Rod Gilbert
Patrik Elias - Sidney Crosby - Ziggy Palffy
Bob Bourne - Keith Primeau - George Armstrong (C)
Simon Gagne - Vladimir Shadrin - Owen Nolan
Alf Skinner, Bruce MacGregor

Mark Howe - Alexei Kasatonov
Si Griffis (A) - Pat Egan
Mike Ramsey (A) - Teppo Numminen
Fredrik Olausson

Dominik Hasek
Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Power Play
Kharlamov-Crosby-Gilbert
Howe-Fedorov

Nolan-Shadrin-Palffy
Griffis-Egan

Penalty Killers
Howe-Fedorov
Ramsey-Kasatonov
Hasek

Bourne-Shadrin
Griffis-Numminen
Hasek

Primeau-Armstrong

Minors
Sergei Kapustin - Pavol Demitra - Barney Stanley
Darryl Sydor - Chris Phillips
Dan Bouchard

My current plans on lineup usage:
  • My first line will play big minutes against anyone, preferably against opposing #1 lines
  • While I feel my second line is defensively responsible and I'm not afraid of them getting tough matchups, they will get easier matchups for the most part.
  • My third line will play tough minutes against opposing top lines and take a lot of own-zone draws. Against physical top lines they become the #1 option instead of Fedorov's line.
  • I think my fourth line is a solid two-way line - while they aren't my first choice to go against a top line or take an own-zone draw I'm not afraid of it.
  • As with the forwards, the top defence pairing will see a lot of ice time, significantly more than any other pairing.
  • My second and third pairing will play roughly equal minutes, but the second pairing goes out in more offensive situations and the third pairing in more defensive situations.
  • Primeau will also see time on the power play if we need size in front of the net and faceoff ability - maybe even on the top unit.
  • While Howe-Fedorov is my best pair of forwards on the PK and will be relied on in key spots, they won't be the first pairing all the time in the regular season, to save their legs.

Comments? One thing I'm curious to hear is opinions on my RW's. I'm pretty set on my LW-C pairings, but I can see a few different ways my RW's could go - and some have suggested that Skinner could be a regular as well.

Last edited by overpass: 11-12-2009 at 10:57 AM.
overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
It depends. In the particular case of prewar players of limited speed, one wonders, due to the speed of the game, how much the negative attribute was actually "counted" during their careers...hence my enduring dislike of Buck Boucher and Cy Denneny (to name the most prominent players who fall into this category) relative to most other GMs. This gets more extreme the further back we go until we get to very slow hockey in which the "starters" played virtually the entire game.
I don't think it's a problem if you look at everything as relative. In almost every era you can point to a couple of players who were considered slow at the time that have gone on to top-150 pick careers.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
jarek

Ok, we're kinda struggling with PK options here.

These are the ideas we had:

seventies likes this one:

PK1: Ramsay - Ullman - Day - Svehla
PK2: Leswick - McKenney - Lester Patrick - Frank Patrick

I like this one more than the above:

PK1: Ramsay - Ullman - Frank Patrick - Day
PK2: Leswick - McKenney - Lester Patrick - Svehla

I prefer this one:

PK1: Ramsay - Ullman - Coffey - Day

I think between Ramsay, Ullman and Day, that PK unit is so good defensively that having Coffey there as an elite offensive presence would act as a strong deterrent for other teams to not make mistakes. If Coffey ever got the puck off a turnover, more often than not, he'd go on a breakaway. He could also start up ice if any of the other players got the puck, and he could receive a pass while already getting a head start and go on a breakaway that way as well. Point is, with how good our defensive players are offensively, I think we have a great opportunity here to be an elite two-way PK team.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post

I prefer this one:

I think between Ramsay, Ullman and Day, that PK unit is so good defensively that having Coffey there as an elite offensive presence would act as a strong deterrent for other teams to not make mistakes. If Coffey ever got the puck off a turnover, more often than not, he'd go on a breakaway. He could also start up ice if any of the other players got the puck, and he could receive a pass while already getting a head start and go on a breakaway that way as well. Point is, with how good our defensive players are offensively, I think we have a great opportunity here to be an elite two-way PK team.
And personally, I think the idea of Coffey, a defenseman, getting a breakaway while killing a penalty is absurd. Yes, he could be a threat to create some SHG throughout the season, but enough to justify a first pairing spot over a superior defensive player?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
And personally, I think the idea of Coffey, a defenseman, getting a breakaway while killing a penalty is absurd. Yes, he could be a threat to create some SHG throughout the season, but enough to justify a first pairing spot over a superior defensive player?
It's not uncommon for a defenseman to score shothanded goals these days, and Coffey's speed only helps that.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:09 AM
overpass

Quote:

I prefer this one:

I like the idea of using Coffey on the PK - he was very dangerous shorthanded, and you get to use your best players more. Especially against opponents who play forwards on the point, Coffey gives them something to think about.

But Svehla is a significant defensive upgrade on Coffey in this situation, partly because he is a right handed shot. With Coffey (or Frank Patrick) in there one of your defenders will end up trying to clear it on the backhand more than you'd like.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
I like the idea of using Coffey on the PK - he was very dangerous shorthanded, and you get to use your best players more. Especially against opponents who play forwards on the point, Coffey gives them something to think about.

But Svehla is a significant defensive upgrade on Coffey in this situation, partly because he is a right handed shot. With Coffey (or Frank Patrick) in there one of your defenders will end up trying to clear it on the backhand more than you'd like.
That's a good point too.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post

Like I said though, my point was that the other penalty killers on that unit are so good defensively that Coffey's relative lack of defensive presence shouldn't be a huge issue.

Also, if we do use Coffey on the PK, I think he'd have to be paired with Day. I'm not sure Svehla is good enough to cover for him on the PK.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Good Lord. For my sanity's sake, please please please do not put Coffey on your PK. Unless you play us. Then go ahead!

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Halifax Mooseheads

Coach: Glen Sather
Asst. Coach: Eddie Gerard

Bill Barber - Gilbert Perreault - Punch Broadbent
Wendel Clark - Joe Nieuwendyk (A) - Pat Verbeek
J.P. Parise - Steve Kasper - Dirk Graham (A)
Gerard Gallant - Bernie Nicholls - Jamie Langenbrunner

Bill Gadsby (C) - Babe Pratt
Tom Johnson - Dallas Smith
Paul Reinhart - Andre Dupont

Patrick Roy
John Vanbiesbrouck

Spares: Real Cloutier, Phat Wilson, Marc Savard

PP1:
Barber-Perreault-Broadbent
Gadsby-Pratt

PP2:
Nicholls-Nieuwendyk-Verbeek
Johnson-Reinhart

PK1:
Barber-Kasper
Gadsby-Johnson

PK2:
Parise-Graham
Smith-Pratt

PK3:
Nieuwendyk-Verbeek
Gadsby-Johnson

Minors:
Rick Ley, Alexei Yashin, Jose Theodore, Robbie Ftorek, Alex Smith

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Good Lord. For my sanity's sake, please please please do not put Coffey on your PK. Unless you play us. Then go ahead!
Ok. That isn't very convincing. Why?

Old
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
God Bless Canada

Nanaimo Clippers review

*The first thing that stands out is scoring on the wings. You get the best LW of all-time, who might be the most dangerous goal-scorer in the ATD. And then you get a goal-scorer who was a power forward 50 years before the term was invented. There would be a temptation to use them on the same line - and I'm sure they'll play together on the PP and when the team is trailing by a goal late. But there's only one puck on the ice, and you don't want Hull playing set-up man for Conacher, do you?
*Only concern with the first line is whether Kennedy and Drillon are fast enough to keep up with Hull. Hull's so fast, while Kennedy is an average skater (not fast, but his other elements in his skating are good). Drillon was the 30s/40s answer to Luc Robitaille - not a good skater at all, but tremendous drive to the net. You'll like Drillon's ability to drive to the front of the net.
*While I wouldn't encourage you to play a line with Hull and especially Drillon out there against the opponent's top line, it's an option since you have Teeder Kennedy. Damn, we wanted Teeder in the third round.
*On the surface, I'd question Novy's place as a second line centre. But with Conacher on the wing, you need a complimentary centre for Conacher. It's rare when a second line centre takes such a complimentary role.
*Third line is very good in their own zone. Their offensive contributions will be minimal. But they'll be tough to play against. Klukay and Westfall were high on my list for third line roles. Peca's fearless. Love his physicality on the third line.
*Fourth line can score. And do other stuff. Weight isn't a robust physical player, but he can hit. Just ask Brandon Sutter. Love Pronovost on the fourth line.
*Because you went forwards with the first three picks, it means you won't have a No. 1 defenceman. Bouchard's probably the best of the bunch. Good No. 2. That first pairing is tough as nails. Rock-solid. Physical. Mean. Only concern is if they have the mobility. Neither guy was ever accused of being fast. Interesting match-up: pit's top pairing against the unbelievable speed and skill of overpass' first line.
*I've long maintained that itís more important to reunite defence pairings than lines. Of course, I think itís harder to reunite defence pairings. And while I always have concerns about reuniting lines/pairings from teams that never won the Cup, White-Stapleton got to Game 7 of the final. Twice. Thanks for nothing, Tony O. Best second pairing in the draft.
*As Iíve said many times before, Iím not a Steve Duchesne fan. Not sold on him as a third pairing guy. Too one-dimensional. Until Scotty Bowman got a hold of him. Heís a suitcase. But there is a fine No. 7 waiting in the wings in case Duchesne falters.
*I think Worters is the worst No. 1 goalie in the draft. And that's understandable. He was the last No. 1 goalie taken. Applause, though, for waiting until the 14th round to take a goalie. Worters never won a true best-of series in his life. His lone series win was what amounted to a two-game, total-goal series. Not much to choose between Worters and Kerr. Iíd actually probably go with Kerr. I think he fits your team better, he has a ring, and heís not 5í3.Ē Worters strikes me as the bad team goalie that Ken Dryden described perfectly in ďThe Game.Ē You donít need a bad team goalie.
*Art Ross is a solid coach. Wonít be the difference-maker in a series, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'm all done:

Nanaimo Clippers

GM: pitseleh
Coach: Art Ross
Captain: Ted Kennedy
Alternate Captains: Michael Peca, Harry Howell

Bobby Hull - Ted Kennedy - Gordie Drillon
Baldy Northcott - Milan Novy - Charlie Conacher
Joe Klukay - Michael Peca - Ed Westfall
Jack Adams - Doug Weight - Jean Pronovost
Milan Hejduk

Harry Howell - Buck Boucher
Pat Stapleton - Bill White
Barry Ashbee - Steve Duchesne
Brian Engblom
Ron Stackhouse

Roy Worters
Dave Kerr

Minors
Nikolai Drozdetsky - Josef Malecek - Vincent Lukac
John Van Boxmeer - Bryan McCabe
Wilf Cude

PP1: Bobby Hull - Ted Kennedy - Gordie Drillon - Buck Boucher - Steve Duchense
PP2: Baldy Northcott - Milan Novy - Charlie Conacher - Pat Stapleton - Doug Weight

PK1: Ted Kennedy - Ed Westfall - Harry Howell - Buck Boucher
PK2: Michael Peca - Joe Klukay - Pat Stapleton - Bill White

Old
11-12-2009, 12:05 PM
EagleBelfour

Detroit Falcons
(1930-1932)

Coach:
Herb Brooks
Assistant Coach:
Father David Bauer

Woody Dumart - Milt Schmidt - Bobby Bauer
Roy Conacher - Duke Keats - Harry Hyland
Harry P. Watson - Phil Goyette - Bobby Rousseau
Ed Sandford - Buddy O'Connor - Harry Oliver

Bill Quackenbush - Jimmy Thomson
Lionel Conacher - Cyclone Wentworth
Art Duncan - Bucko McDonald

Terry Sawchuk
Mike Karakas

Reggie Fleming (LW/D)
Wally Hergesheimer (RW)

Powerplay:
Woody Dumart - Milt Schmidt - Bobby Bauer
Bill Quackenbush - Lionel Conacher

Roy Conacher - Duke Keats - Harry Hyland
Jimmy Thomson - Bobby Rousseau

Harry Watson - Buddy O'Connor - Harry Oliver
Art Duncan - Cy Wentworth

Penalty Kill:
Milt Schmidt - Woody Dumart
Cy Wentworth - Jimmy Thomson

Phil Goyette - Bobby Rousseau
Bill Quackenbush - Bucko McDonald

Buddy O'Connor - Harry Watson
Art Duncan - Lionel Conacher

Call-Ups:
Dubbie Kerr - Herb Carnegie - Art Gagne
Vasili Pervukhin - Steamer Maxwell
Bert Lindsay

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 11-14-2009 at 12:38 AM.
EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
raleh

Quote:
Ok. That isn't very convincing. Why?
haha, sorry man. I absolutely hate Coffey. I don't vote accordingly, because I know what he brings to the table and I vote with my head, so don't worry about that. He is my least favorite player in NHL history.

BUT, I actually do think you'd be better off not having him kill penalties. Not because he won't generate offense, but simply because he makes your PK more average. Looking through your lineup, I think you have the best PK as a whole in the draft. Not because I think you'll be getting a ton of shorties, because that won't happen in the ATD, but because it'll be almost impossible to score against. That isn't the case with Coffey out there. Yeah, there's more of a threat of giving up a SHG, but to me there's no way that outweighs the fact that it's now a 5 on 3.5.

To me Coffey is as one dimensional as they come, and I'll admit, it's one hell of a dimension. But your goaltending and two-way forwards are probably your team's best attributes and your kick ass PK is something that I personally would vote very strongly for. I think Coffey makes it glaringly worse defensively, and on the PK, doesn't come close to making up for that offensively (which I will begrudgingly admit he does at even strength).

Old
11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
raleh

I do think I'd be tempted to use Duff on the PK, but I'm not sure who you'd boot off...

Old
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM
jarek

The Regina Pats lineup.

So it looks like this, then:

Gord Roberts - Jean Ratelle - Boris Mikhailov
Dick Duff - Norm Ullman - Bernie Morris
Craig Ramsay - Don McKenney - Tony Leswick
Ernie Russell - Eric Staal - Eddie Oatman

Paul Coffey - Hap Day
Lester Patrick - Robert Svehla
Frank Patrick - James Patrick

PP1: Roberts - Ratelle - Mikhailov - Coffey - Day
PP2: Russell - Ullman - Morris - Frank Patrick - Lester Patrick

PK2: Leswick - McKenney - Frank Patrick - Lester Patrick

I don't see a place for Duff on the PK, unfortunately, unless we made a third PK unit, which would be a waste considering the guys we do have on the 2 units there.

I don't mind the Day - Svehla pairing, it's not the best offensively, but between them and Ramsay and Ullman, that PK1 is almost never going to be scored on, and will play the majority of our PK minutes. The 2nd PK is better in my mind than some teams' first PK units, and the Patricks provide a dangerous offensive element without sacrificing the defensive play with Coffey. Both PKs have incredible toughness as well.

I'm not sure if I'd want to split up the Patricks on the PK, but if they're playing together on the PP, then why not on the PK?

Although I wonder if putting Frank on the first unit PP for his booming shot would be a better choice than Day, and then the PP and PK would look like this:

PP1: Roberts - Ratelle - Mikhailov - Coffey - Frank Patrick
PP2: Russell - Ullman - Morris - Lester Patrick - Day

The Patricks are almost interchangeable, really, with Frank having the better shot I believe and Lester being the better rusher.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
God Bless Canada

Inglewood Jacks review...

*Frank Mahovlich might have been the biggest steal in the first three rounds. He moves so well for a big man, and he has tremendous skill. He might be high-maintenance, but you have the right coach for him. The first line is a classic ATD first line: two-way pivot (Nighbor), offensive winger (The Big M) and gritty goal-scorer (Gare). We really, really wanted Gare to be the winger alongside Elmer Lach for our second line. Really underrated hockey player who never recovered from leaving Buffalo, and ran into injury problems.
*Doug Bentley. Vladimir Petrov. Babe Dye. One of these forwards ainít like the others. Thatís two-thirds of a fantastic two-way line. Dye would be a liability if asked to play on a line counted on to log big minutes against the opposition. Bentley and Petrov are wonderful two-way, mobile forwards. Dyeís a one-trick pony, drive-to-the-net scoring winger.
*It is a tough situation youíre in. Gare fits that gritty first line winger role perfectly. But he would give you a lights out second line. And he would give you a gritty presence on the second line, which you donít have now. If you swap Dye and Gare, though, it means Mahovlich has to focus a little more on the dirty work Ė which he can do Ė instead of scoring and taking feeds from Nighbor. And if you swap Gare and Dye, you probably wonít want to go line-for-line against your opponents, even if Nighbor is your centre.
*Your third line last draft was probably the best defensive line out there. Itís good, but not as good, in this draft. Holik is a bull, though. A big, strong, physical forward who is a big-time difference maker in his own zone.
*Fourth line will be tough to play against. Linsemanís a fine player. But heís a starter, not a finisher, and that drives teammates nuts. I think itís a big part of why he moved around so much in his career, because his skill level, and his agitation level, are superb. One day Iíll get Eddie Shack on my team.
*Is Jimmy Watson a first-pairing defenceman? I understand what arrbez is trying to do, with Harvey and Siebert on different pairings. But I think this when you want your top two defencemen on the same pairing. With their speed, smarts and overall skill level, theyíd be a very dangerous top pairing. Watson-Schoenfeld would still be a very, very good second pairing.
*Regardless of whether theyíre on separate pairings or together, Harvey and Siebert give the Jacks a formidable 1-2 punch on the blue-line. And I do want to be clear that Iím a very big Jimmy Watson fan. I just think he fits a second pairing better.
*arrbez played the waiting game with the goalie, and he got a good one in Holmes. Not a great one. But one who slides into that 28-32 range for goalies. Maybe itís just me, I think Barrasso might be the better goalie. He definitely brings the puck-handling dimension. His defencemen will love that. And heís a nice change-up with his size and stand-up game.
*Spare parts bring concern. Is Barrasso going to handle being a back-up? Or will he sulk? Will he be a malcontent right away? Or will it fester as the season rolls along. This team has the potential for a goaltending controversy. If you have a firmly entrenched goalie as your No. 1, say, a Bill Durnan or a Gump Worsley, then youíre fine. But when you have a lower-end No. 1, and a back-up who played at the level of Barrasso, there isnít much to choose between them. And thatís when things could get ugly.
*And Turgeon doesnít bring the work ethic I want for a 13th forward. He might be a nice guy. No doubt about that. But comparisons to Turgeon are usually reserved for those with wavering consistency, work ethic and intensity. I want more from a 13th forward.
*And maybe itís just me, but I think Pilous is the better coach than Demers. But the Big M will like Demers a lot more than he liked Imlach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
The Inglewood Jacks

Coach: Jacques Demers
Assistant: Rudy Pilous

Frank Mahovlich - Frank Nighbor (C) - Danny Gare
Doug Bentley - Vladimir Petrov - Babe Dye
Alf Smith (A) - Bobby Holik - Floyd Curry
Eddie Shack - Ken Linseman - Wilf Paiement

Extra: Brian Rolston - Pierre Turgeon - Tony Granato
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin

Doug Harvey (A) - Jimmy Watson
Babe Siebert (A) - Jim Schoenfeld
Jack Laviolette - Goldie Prodger

Extra: Yuri Fedorov - Jay Bouwmeester

Hap Holmes
Tom Barrasso

Extra: Olaf Kolzig

Special Teams
PP1: Mahovlich-Petrov-Dye-Harvey-Siebert
PP2: Bentley-Nighbor-Smith-Laviolette-Prodger
PK1: Nighbor-Gare-Watson-Schoenfeld
PK2: Curry-Smith-Harvey-Siebert

Old
11-12-2009, 01:02 PM
jarek

Petrov was not mobile.
Quote:
On the contrary from most Soviet players, Petrov wasn't a good skater. He didn't have that fluid skating style that many of his teammates had. - from the Summit Series website
It's a pretty common misconception that Petrov was fast. He wasn't. His strengths came in other areas:

Quote:
His strength was his excellent stickhandling and hard shot. He also wasn't afraid to use his 6'1" and 205 Ibs body in the corners. Petrov was also strong on faceoffs and a dangerous and aggressive forechecker. - Summit Series website

Old
11-12-2009, 01:07 PM
God Bless Canada

Victoria Cougars review...

*Does somebody want to get these guys a translater? This might be Team United Nations.
*In all seriousness...
*First line will be one of the most difficult first lines to play against in the draft. It has tremendous skill level and a physical presence. Richard's a dominant goal scorer. Forsberg's a gifted two-way playmaker with grit. Simmer's a gritty goal-scorer. He's not an ideal first line player, but he gives you what you need. That's not going to be fun to play against. Glad you're not in my division. (Have fun with it, Jungo, Red and anyone else who plays against Victoria).
*Second line had tremendous skill. They can fly. They can score. It might be the most offensively talented second line in the draft. It's also the worst defensive line in the draft. Bure's a non-factor defensively. Bobrov's just as bad. And I always thought Firsov was a left winger. If he played centre, that's great for you. If not, then that's a problem. It's a lot tougher to shift from the wing to centre than from centre to the wing.
*You might want to move Malkin to the second line centre spot, and put Firsov on the wing for the third line. Or move Lecavalier to centre on the second line, give that line some bit, and slide Malkin to third line centre and Firsov to third line wing.
*One thing I don't see is a checking line. Forsberg's probably your best defensive forward. And your first line is probably your best defensive line. And that could be a big problem, because Richard's not much defensively.
*The "let's win 6-5 mentality" continues to the back-end. Leetch has a tremendous skill level. So does Solugobov. And Svedberg. Turnbull, I believe, holds the record for goals by a defenceman in a game.
*The transition game won't be an issue for the Cougars. If you make a turnover in the neutral zone, the puck will be in your zone in a hurry.
*Tiny Thompson is a good goalie. In that Gump Worsley class. But poor Tiny will probably have the worst GAA in the draft. Tiny might have to introduce himself to a few of his teammates after the draft.
*It's probably the fastest team among the eight that I've reviewed thus far. It's definitely the most dangerous offensively. I'd be surprised if there's a team with more team offence, or a better collectively offensive mentality, than these guys. But it's also, easily, the team with the worst team defensive concept.
*Lindy Ruff will love the speed and offensive aggressiveness of this team. We saw in the two years after the lockout what Lindy can do with a fast-skating, offensively aggressive team. It's not as physical of a team as what Lindy would want, but he knows well enough to let the scorers do what they do best.
*There were coaches picked in the call-up rounds better than Hartley.
*Against some of the slower teams, this team will be dangerous. Against the teams with strong speed, team defence and excellent coaching, the Cougars could be in deep trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post

Lindy Ruff
Bob Hartley

Charlie Simmer-Peter Forsberg(A)-Maurice Richard(C)
Vsvolod Bobrov-Anatoli Firsov(A)-Pavel Bure
Evgeni Malkin-Vincent Lecavalier-Russell Bowie
Tomas Holmstrom-Tumba Johansson-Yevgeny Babich
Alexei Guryshev

Brian Leetch(A)-Edward Ivanov
Nikolai Sologubov-Ivan Tregubov
Lennart Svedberg-Ian Turnbull
Ed Jovanovski

Tiny Thompson
Bouse Hutton

Minor League:
G Pelle Lindbergh
F Harry Smith
F Herb Jordan
F Lorne Campbell
D James Stewart
D Fred Higginbotham

Power Play #1
Anatoli Firsov(A)-Peter Forsberg(A)-Maurice Richard(C)
Brian Leetch(A)-Lennart Svedberg

Power Play #2
Charlie Simmer/Tomas Holmstrom-Evgeni Malkin-Pavel Bure/Russell Bowie
Nikolai Sologubov-Ian Turnbull

Penalty Killing #1
Peter Forsberg(A)-Yevgeny Babich
Edward Ivanov-Ivan Tregubov

Penalty Killing #2
Anatoli Firsov(A)-Tomas Holmstrom
Brian Leetch(A)-Nikolai Sologubov

Old
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Petrov was not mobile.

It's a pretty common misconception that Petrov was fast. He wasn't. His strengths came in other areas:
Thanks. I thought he was a better skater. But the point on Dye not fitting in with Bentley and Petrov's fine two-way games remains.

Old
11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Thanks. I thought he was a better skater. But the point on Dye not fitting in with Bentley and Petrov's fine two-way games remains.
I, for one, see no problem with having a guy on a scoring line who's only good for one thing: scoring.

If you put a player like Dye with fast players, people say "can Dye keep up with his linemates?". If you put him with slow players, people say "That line will be too slow to be effective". It's like there's no winning when you pick a slow player in this, regardless of the fact that Dye dominated his era while presumably being the slowest player on his line at all times. There's certainly room for one sub-par defensive player on a scoring line, isn't there?

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I, for one, see no problem with having a guy on a scoring line who's only good for one thing: scoring.

If you put a player like Dye with fast players, people say "can Dye keep up with his linemates?". If you put him with slow players, people say "That line will be too slow to be effective". It's like there's no winning when you pick a slow player in this, regardless of the fact that Dye dominated his era while presumably being the slowest player on his line at all times. There's certainly room for one sub-par defensive player on a scoring line, isn't there?
Agreed 100%. Slow guys who dominated their eras were clearly good enough at other things to be able to perform in an all-time competition.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote