HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dismantled. Disheartened. Disgusting.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Staios with another gem of a game on the blueline. Take Moreau's C away but don't touch Staios' letter. The guy bleeds the copper and blue.

I was really impressed with Tallinder and Gaustad for the Sabres. 68.1% on the dot is just an absurd number
How Moreau keeps his 'C' is the biggest slap in the face since the Corson fiasco. Staios is fine as long as he's kept to reasonable minutes and plays within his game. Moreau has no game, unless it's taking penalties.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
It must be hard for his line-mates to read Hemsky and get to where they need to be on the ice (like the slot). hemsky dangles like very few can, so where do you go?! is he going to make it through the three bodies, or is he going to turn it over?! What do you do....? Go to the slot or start the back-check? That has to be frustrating as hell.

Another thing about Hemsky that has bothered me for years is that he telegraphs that wrist shot of his - ALL THE TIME. Pause, change the angle, look for the hole and then fire. Defenders have read the book on him.

I don't know if I go as far as to say trade him, but he needs to look at his game and make some changes. He's got all the talent to do it.

Bring some urgency, light a fire in the belly for points. And when I say points, I mean ANY point, not just the highlight reel ones that he seems to go after all the time.
Visnvosky seems to read Hemsky very well. We haven't had a forward that has been able to read off him since Smyth though IMO.

He is no doubt a tough guy to read, but most talented wingers are.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Phaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Penner has been great don't get me wrong but other than some deflection attempts he really didn't get much of a sniff.

Thought he'd be able to go wide a couple of times but didn't work out.
Ya, but again, it was due to him being the number one priority of the sabres defence, so he tried to make use of open players instead of shooting. Didn't work out though

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilersnyc

ok - everyone huddle around ...

i want you all to watch closely ...

this is how i want the power play to work ...

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
When its a shootout...he has the time to go step by step through a practiced shot.

In a game...there are sublte timing & positioning differences that require NATURAL touch.
Well I'd love to have the well calibrated rifle Sully had tonight.

Miller makes a fantastic save on the first shot deflecting it off the post, Sully blows it by him on a second try, then nails one off the post in the 3rd.

Basic rule and you'd know this. If you're hitting posts you're doing a lot of things right.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lounge Act*

Last night Rod said the Oilers had over 80 man games lost to injury? How does that compare to the rest of the league?

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

this team had PP after PP AND a 5 minute PP and didn't cash in...injuries, fatigue or any other excuse doesn't prevent the fact this team is awful

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
At the same point, the PP (where he was REALLY being leaned on) is all about set plays...

My real question is why isn't Visnovsky the trigger man on the PP?

I'd love to see him being used like Pronger was when he was here... especially with the new 44 out of the lineup. He has excellent vision, a great slapper, can skate well enough to make up for any mistake he might make, and of course has a cannon of a shot...

Exactly. The PP should be ran through Vish & Sully has no buisiness being out there with him.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Penner has been great don't get me wrong but other than some deflection attempts he really didn't get much of a sniff.

Thought he'd be able to go wide a couple of times but didn't work out.
He had an absolutely fantastic drive outside broken up by a driving defensemen...

He also needs a C to get him the puck with his feet moving as he gets into the offensive zone... the best C we have at doing that just happens to be in the pressbox with a shoulder injury...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boilers*

Quote:
I really love watching Sabres hockey. For years this has been the best coached club in hockey.

Change the lineups, change the names, and its this fast exciting brand of sound hockey.

I wish more clubs played the game the way the Sabres do.
You love that left-wing lock crap, eh? You can have it.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
Last night Rod said the Oilers had over 80 man games lost to injury? How does that compare to the rest of the league?
Probably significantly less, and excuses, and rabble rabble rabble.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
How Moreau keeps his 'C' is the biggest slap in the face since the Corson fiasco. Staios is fine as long as he's kept to reasonable minutes and plays within his game. Moreau has no game, unless it's taking penalties.
That's the difference between the two though. Staios knows his limits and his role on the team and he plays it to perfection. I really think he played a huge part in Smid's development to where he is this year. They are both absolute warriors in the mould of guys you want on your side come May. Moreau has shown a bit more jump lately but he's still got to get back to what made him a successful NHLer for such a long time and simplify his game.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Let's keep things in perspective here in regards to Hemsky and O'Sullivan. Sully had a goal and two posts, Hemsky made some good plays... All that being said, the PP unit got 1 shot on that major penalty, that is unnacceptable. You can't use fatigue or illness as an excuse there, that was just stupid, tentative hockey and it cost us points.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
At the same point, the PP (where he was REALLY being leaned on) is all about set plays...

My real question is why isn't Visnovsky the trigger man on the PP?

I'd love to see him being used like Pronger was when he was here... especially with the new 44 out of the lineup. He has excellent vision, a great slapper, can skate well enough to make up for any mistake he might make, and of course has a cannon of a shot...
Thats a question im asking as well. THe only thing I can think of is Visnovsky is struggling with accuracy and getting shots through. But I think they should revisit this again soon as long as Souray is out.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post

We had 91 going into tonight, then lost another 7.

Last year we had 225 all year, we're 2 shy of 100 and we're less than 20 games into the season.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
You love that left-wing lock crap, eh? You can have it.
This was the most exciting Oiler game I've seen this year. I love games with intensity that are properly contested.

The amount hits thrown in this game was something else. A real battle out there.

The Ottawa game last night didn't even seem like an NHL game in comparison to this one.

Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Staios with another gem of a game on the blueline. Take Moreau's C away but don't touch Staios' letter. The guy bleeds the copper and blue.

I was really impressed with Tallinder and Gaustad for the Sabres. 68.1% on the dot is just an absurd number
Staios has been money since he came back.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
We had 91 going into tonight, then lost another 7.

Last year we had 225 all year, we're 2 shy of 100 and we're less than 20 games into the season.
Where do you get this stat?

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Everest

Quote:
Well I'd love to have the well calibrated rifle Sully had tonight.

Miller makes a fantastic save on the first shot deflecting it off the post, Sully blows it by him on a second try, then nails one off the post in the 3rd.

Basic rule and you'd know this. If you're hitting posts you're doing a lot of things right.
The thing is...the shot that he DID score on is NOT the norm for him...its ok to shave a post from time to time...but he has a habit of it.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He had an absolutely fantastic drive outside broken up by a driving defensemen...

He also needs a C to get him the puck with his feet moving as he gets into the offensive zone... the best C we have at doing that just happens to be in the pressbox with a shoulder injury...
I think Sully has been making some great passes to Dustin when they are on the ice together. The goal the other night then tonight the perfect pass finding Penner in midrush.

Old
11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Juice

not many are talking about the disgusting hit from behind!

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The thing is...the shot that he DID score on is NOT the norm for him...its ok to shave a post from time to time...but he has a habit of it.
Well, hitting goalposts is the bad habit of potential goalscorers.

Goalies don't let you hit the goalpost.

It means you beat them.

Old
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
This was the most exciting Oiler game I've seen this year. I love games with intensity that are properly contested.

The amount hits thrown in this game was something else. A real battle out there.

The Ottawa game last night didn't even seem like an NHL game in comparison to this one.
Last night hits:

23-20 for the Sens.

Tonight:

11-5 for the Oilers.

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

The other thing the Oilers PP is struggling with is the weak side forward standing there with his thumb up his ass, essentially making it a 4-4. Either he should be a shot option when the play is developing or standing at the side of the net when the shot is coming. Its not that difficult but it does require someone who can read and react to a play, something the Oilers don't have an abundance of at the moment.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Last night hits:

23-20 for the Oilers.

Tonight:

11-5 for the Oilers.

lol