HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New measurements will bring goalies down to size

View Poll Results: I think goalie specific sizing restrictions...
will put smaller goalies at an unfair disadvantage. 8 21.05%
will put goalies on an even playing field. 24 63.16%
are unnecessary, goalie equipment is fine. 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

vCash: 500

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=505724

Quote:
New measurements will bring goalies down to size - NHL.com - NHL Insider

Wednesday, 11.11.2009 / 2:48 PM / NHL Insider
By Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Managing Editor

"No matter what we do, the goaltenders have to feel that it is fair from one end of the rink to the other and I think that is all that goalies ever asked from Day 1." -- Kay Whitmore, manager of hockey operations for the NHL
TORONTO -- While much of Wednesday's session of the NHL General Managers Meeting was focused on keeping skaters safe by addressing blindside hits to the head, there also was a fair amount of time focused on keeping goalies safe despite a desire to reduce the size of their padding.

Kay Whitmore, manager, hockey operations for the NHL, took center stage at Wednesday's meeting and updated the League's GMs on the status of size-specific goaltending equipment being instituted next season.

Last edited by mouser: 11-12-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: copyright
Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Interesting they have discussions about headshots and look what happened in the Edmotnon-Buffalo game tonight.

11-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Interesting they have discussions about headshots and look what happened in the Edmotnon-Buffalo game tonight.
Because discussions in a board room are going to help change a problem in a game that night?

Old
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
So, is Luongo going to have a pout-fest and say he'll retire again?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Probably not, this should give him an advantage over smaller goalies.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
ToothlessAggression

So Giguere is gonna get exposed even more?

ToothlessAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Probably not, this should give him an advantage over smaller goalies.
Hey, don't ruin this for me.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothlessAggression View Post
So Giguere is gonna get exposed even more?
Giguere is 6'1, I doubt he will be effected by this. He doesn't use bigger pads than other goalies his size.

Old
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

This doesn't even come close to addressing the problem.

Good ol' NHL.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This doesn't even come close to addressing the problem.

Good ol' NHL.
Which problem? and how would you address it?

Old
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Giguere is 6'1, I doubt he will be effected by this. He doesn't use bigger pads than other goalies his size.
I didn't read the article, but if the reductions include the shoulder pads, Giguere is toast. His shoulder pads are a complete joke.

11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
I didn't read the article, but if the reductions include the shoulder pads, Giguere is toast. His shoulder pads are a complete joke.
No its just a change to the pad height based on the size of the goalie.

Old
11-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Soundwave

I'll say it flat out if no one else will -- Luongo is a friggin' cheat.

I watched that Oilers-Canucks game where JDD was in, and JDD is actually an inch taller than Luongo, yet his equipment was noticably smaller than Luongo's bulky pads. Kipper is about the same size too and his equipment is noticably smaller as well.

I think he would get exposed if he was forced to wear a regular equipment size. No wonder he cries about the possibility of larger nets too.

Last edited by Soundwave: 11-12-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

There has to be a balance and I think the equipment should be reduced, but you still have to protect these guys, because NHL shots are frighteningly hard.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I watched that Oilers-Canucks game where JDD was in, and JDD is actually an inch taller than Luongo, yet his equipment was noticably smaller than Luongo's bulky pads. Kipper is about the same size too and his equipment is noticably smaller as well.

I think he would get exposed if he was forced to wear a regular equipment size. No wonder he cries about the possibility of larger nets too.
That's pretty funny because Luongo and JDD wear the same pads, and I bet you they are exactly the same size.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/92...-Hockey-League
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/91...-Hockey-League

Old
11-12-2009, 07:47 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Which problem? and how would you address it?
The problem that pads are a ridiculous size. All this does is punish the small guys who were never really the problem anyway it was just a matter of perception. All the little things that goaltenders like Luongo like to use to gain better (unfair) advantages aren't being solved. There is no new standard being implemented, just a whole lot of nothing.

I'd absolutely love it if they narrowed the pads down. Height was never the issue.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The problem that pads are a ridiculous size. All this does is punish the small guys who were never really the problem anyway it was just a matter of perception. All the little things that goaltenders like Luongo like to use to gain better (unfair) advantages aren't being solved. There is no new standard being implemented, just a whole lot of nothing.

I'd absolutely love it if they narrowed the pads down. Height was never the issue.
What does Luongo do to gain unfair advantages?

How long has the width of the pads been a problem? Because i'd say the width of the pads now is the narrowest they have been in 20-30 years.

I think the height of the pads is more of a problem than the width. The net is 6 feet wide, and most goalies can go in the butterfly and cover the whole bottom 11" of the net from post to post. Tell me how many goalies can actually do that without their pads on?

Old
11-13-2009, 12:10 AM
HockeyGM82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I tried noticing the difference, but I have to see more pictures to conclude my observation.

JDD is 1 inch taller, but he looks half the size in net.

Why is this? Stance? I think it's a pretty big thing to call Luongo a cheater. I won't call him that. There is a difference in their equipment though.

I wish we could get a perfect picture of the two superimposed in front of each other.

EDIT: It looks like Luongos just way bigger in the upper body. Chest, shoulders, etc.

HockeyGM82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:13 AM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 145
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
I don't think so. He threatened to retire if the changed the size/shape of the nets, not the pads.

11-13-2009, 12:23 AM
jbean

Pad length doesn't make your legs longer, so yes most NHL goalies could cover most the net in a butterfly if the angle is right. Width on the other hand is an issue, and the biggest issue is the size of chest protectors.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Pad length doesn't make your legs longer, so yes most NHL goalies could cover most the net in a butterfly if the angle is right. Width on the other hand is an issue, and the biggest issue is the size of chest protectors.
Are you kidding?

There is no way that any one of the goalies in the NHL could go down in the butterfly on the goal line and touch both of their feet to the posts and have their knees touch together. Their legs from their knee's to their toes would have to be 36", that's 10" longer than mine and i'm 6 feet tall. The legal limit on a goal pad is 38" when in the butterfly the goal pad covers 34" and with 2 (which most goalies wear) that covers 68" along the ice, the goal net is 72" wide, that leaves 2 inches of open net on each side of the goalie.

As for the bold par lets not change the parameters here. I could cover the whole bottom of the net with my little toe if i played the angles right.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Silver

The goalie equipment is huge. My forward upper body equipment (shoulder and elbow pads, hell, even the pants) from the late 90s was bigger than my dads circa late 70's goalie equipment. Do you have any idea what goalie sticks used to weigh?

Advances in equipment for defensemen and forwards hasn't been nearly as large as it has been for goalies...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 05:40 AM
willyjagr

Send a message via MSN to willyjagr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
No you wont as it looks big in largely due to a technique part of his game to make himself appear bigger. Think of a hunchback and how the head is lower than the shoulders, well Giguere does the same thing when in his stances which then makes his shoulders look bigger than they are. If it was his actual C/A that was bigger than everyone elses then it wouldn't pass the inspection done on all goalie equipment before it is sent to the goalie.

willyjagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Enough changes to goalie equipment, and trying to change the game, besides headshot, and things like this, we shouldn't even be talking about this. What's wrong with the game the way it is now? Leave it alone NHL.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
The goalie equipment is huge. My forward upper body equipment (shoulder and elbow pads, hell, even the pants) from the late 90s was bigger than my dads circa late 70's goalie equipment. Do you have any idea what goalie sticks used to weigh?

Advances in equipment for defensemen and forwards hasn't been nearly as large as it has been for goalies...
And Composite sticks shoot the puck how much harder now? The increased size in the chest protector and the pants are necessary to prevent injuries.