HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New measurements will bring goalies down to size

View Poll Results: I think goalie specific sizing restrictions...
will put smaller goalies at an unfair disadvantage. 8 21.05%
will put goalies on an even playing field. 24 63.16%
are unnecessary, goalie equipment is fine. 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Silver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
And Composite sticks shoot the puck how much harder now? The increased size in the chest protector and the pants are necessary to prevent injuries.
Nope.

Souray isn't shooting the puck harder than Bobby Hull did.

Composite sticks let the shooter get the shot away a little quicker and raise the average speed a bit. They aren't miracles. If sticks had kept up with the pace of goalie equipment advances, Ryan Smyth would have a 120mph slap shot today.

You're also making the assumption that the goalie padding hasn't gotten any better from a technical point of view. You don't remember the pads made out of leather and stuffed with deer hair that weighed twice as much at the end of the game?

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Nope.

Composite sticks let the shooter get the shot away a little quicker and raise the average speed a bit. They aren't miracles. If sticks had kept up with the pace of goalie equipment advances, Ryan Smyth would have a 120mph slap shot today.

You're also making the assumption that the goalie padding hasn't gotten any better from a technical point of view. You don't remember the pads made out of leather and stuffed with deer hair that weighed twice as much at the end of the game?
How is this even relevant though. Is the game too defensive right now? I really fail to see what this fixation on goalie equipment is, there's nothing wrong with the game the way it is right now, the rules changes after the lockout were great, but I don't think we need to continually change the game. What benefit does it it give the NHL if there is an average 1 or 2 more goals scored a game? In my opinion, none.

Lighter, better gear is around just like everything else today that is lighter and better. It's called progress.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Nope.

Sure the old wood sticks could still produce a 105 MPH slap shot, but that requires perfect conditions, a perfect pass or enough time to set it up. Its the quick shots from the slot and in close that are coming a lot, not a bit harder and quicker than they were 20 years ago.

But i agree that goalie equipment has come farther than player equipment, but why? Because of necessity. Give any NHL goalie a chest protector from the early 80's and they would probably refuse to play.

Take anymore protection off of the chest protectors and you will see an increase in goalies injuries.

I think i know very well that goal equipment has gotten better from a technical point of view. And I do remember the pads made out of leather and stuffed with deer hair that weighed twice as much at the end of the game, I had a pair. And that pair of Deer Hair pads were 12" wide, the pads i wear today are 11".

The biggest reason that GAA and SV% have gone down is because the goalies have gotten better, not because they have got bigger equipment.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
How is this even relevant though. Is the game too defensive right now? I really fail to see what this fixation on goalie equipment is, there's nothing wrong with the game the way it is right now, the rules changes after the lockout were great, but I don't think we need to continually change the game. What benefit does it it give the NHL if there is an average 1 or 2 more goals scored a game? In my opinion, none.

Lighter, better gear is around just like everything else today that is lighter and better. It's called progress.

Yeah i think it is fine, If anything the height of the pads today are a bit excessive. But can you tell Manny Legacy that he isn't aloud to use a 38" pad, then turn around and let Luongo use it? How is that fair to Legacy?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote