HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On the fence about Hemmer

Old
11-12-2009, 12:09 AM
bzur

vCash: 500
On the fence about Hemmer

Am I the only one who has liked this team a LOT more with Hemsky out of the lineup? Last night we lost in a shootout, but we played hard, and were enjoyable to watch..I'm beginning to wonder if we should just trade him for prospects right now while he still has value.
I don't want to ***** about him, but something about it just bugs me...

I know there has been a lot of "trade hemsky" talk, but I am curious if other people feel the same way that I do... I can't quite put my finger on it, but I am starting to think in some way that he brings this team down in ways I have yet to be able to explain... Some games obviously he's a star, but the odd games don't get you anywhere.

Think we could get a guy like Voracek, Oshie, or Moller for him?

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
bzur

You know how you meet someone and you're not sure why, but you're just a bit uncomfortable around them? They may be nice and everything, but something is just wrong... like when you meet a girl and she's cute, and pretty nice, but you're just CONVINCED she must have an STD or something...
That's kind of the feeling I have now. haha

Old
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
MerryJ99

no not a good idea to trade away a PPG player with a 4.1 mil cap hit, just don't play him on the 1st PP unit right now.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:27 AM
battlegoon

I love Hemsky, he brings a lot to the team

You cant blame tonights loss on him, we were playing one of the best teams in the league and Im sure that if we wouldve had him last game we would have won

He was the 2nd star tonight so he obviously didnt play very bad, hes better to have in the lineup then O'Marra thats for sure

Hes also worth ALOT more then a prospect or 2, hes averaging over a PPG right now and is good enough to keep it up

I wouldnt trade him for anything with his age, skill and awsome contract

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM
TaylorHall
First overall

Um, no. I only watched a bit of the end of tonight's game and Hemmer seemed to have the puck on a string... and isn't tonight his first game back from injury? I bet he's going to play great for us the next little while. Plus, he has one of the best contracts in the league, no way in hell would Tambi trade him.

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Jordo2001

trading hemmer is just silly, right now we have a decent first line if we put hemmer penner and gags on it and a solid second line, other teams put their best shutdown guys on hemmer and he can still dangle past them, we need someone that is always a threat like hemmer

plus with penner playing so well hemmer might actually want to stay here when his contract is up, maybe for a decent price as well

Jordo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Jordo2001

plus with oil luck, we trade hemsky and he finally becomes the superstars he's been meant to be, I still believe that he has up till 30 to realize his potential

Jordo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
I'll have to agree with the OP. I've just never been "sold" on him. He's a fine complementary player, but not a leader. It feels like he's a tad overrated by Oiler fans.

I don't hate the guy or anything, but...
Posted via Mobile Device

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:40 AM
rprice92

i've never liked hemsky at all.. everybody was like "omg hemsky can dangle bah blah blah" when really, he's a flash in the pan player. shows up every now and again. didn't get 20 goals till 2 years ago. i tink he's a poor man's tim connolly.

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
weirdg

To Buffalo
Gilbert + Hemsky + draft pick or prospect

To Edmonton
Stafford + Roy + another contract

I'd be willing to make that trade, and we'd be picking up a solid faceoff man in Roy. The Sabres would be addressing their need of finding a playmaker to pass to Vanek.

WG

weirdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:47 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
i've never liked hemsky at all.. everybody was like "omg hemsky can dangle bah blah blah" when really, he's a flash in the pan player. shows up every now and again. didn't get 20 goals till 2 years ago. i tink he's a poor man's tim connolly.
First off I respect your opinion but I just wanna back Hemsky up here

His job on the team isnt so much to score goals but to set others up so they can score goals and since weve never really had anyone who could score hes never been able to be a PPG player. Now that Penners shown he can score goals Hemsky could easily become a PPG player

Plus the fact that hes been improving every year in goals means he will probably keep improving for a few more years and possibly get 30-40 in the coming years

Old
11-12-2009, 12:52 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
The Oilers have traded away their best offensive forward how many times? Smyth, Weight, Messier, Gretzky...?

It has never once worked out well.

I fail to see how it would this time around.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:53 AM
rprice92

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
First off I respect your opinion but I just wanna back Hemsky up here

His job on the team isnt so much to score goals but to set others up so they can score goals and since weve never really had anyone who could score hes never been able to be a PPG player. Now that Penners shown he can score goals Hemsky could easily become a PPG player

Plus the fact that hes been improving every year in goals means he will probably keep improving for a few more years and possibly get 30-40 in the coming years
trust me i understand where you're coming from, but i know a lot of people who have looked at hemsky as the second coming. many have said he's elite. i know he's a playmaker first goal scorer second, but almost his entire career is based on a ballet move (pirouette or circling the ice) more than anything. he is the most frustrating player in the nhl because he has the potential to do wonderful things and yet he only shows flashes of it every now and again. for 7 years! i can't handle it anymore and rather just cut ties than watch potential wasted over 7 years to amount to nothing

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:53 AM
weirdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Hemmer's not on pace to match last year's goals total and the way he takes a beating game in game out, I can see him turn into an injury problem fairly soon. Eventually all those hits will catch up to him.

WG

weirdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:28 AM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

The real question is would you trade Hemsky if it would allow the team to also be rid of Horcoff's contract?

Horton + Frolik

for

Horcoff + Hemsky

Though I really like Hemsky, so I am not certain I would pull the trigger on this. That said, I really DO hate Horcoff's contract. Not Horcoff but his contract.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Hemsky the second star in tonight's game according to the NHL.com game summary.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:56 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
This boards capacity to fashion a whipping boy for half-baked reasons is only rivaled by it's complete and utter lack of memory for things that happened over two weeks ago.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Hunt4Oil

I wish he would stop being so predictable, the wheeling around the net and dishing it to the D man is getting old fast. It was no surprise that the PP was better without him vs the Avs. Trading him would be silly unless the return was great (not likely to happen). I would like to see him off the PP for awhile to see if it continues to have success without him but I am afraid he would sulk and shut it down even more. I haven't given up on him, but he really needs to change a few things. He doesn't seem very coachable.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
This boards capacity to fashion a whipping boy for half-baked reasons is only rivaled by it's complete and utter lack of memory for things that happened over two weeks ago.
He's not being made into a whipping boy, stop the drama queen act.

We're starting to see that other players can, in fact, create offence when they don't have to wait for Hemsky to dipsy-doodle with the puck until the perfect pass presents itself. A fast-passing PP gets results, and the lads are starting to prove their capability this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:30 AM
OF17

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdg View Post
To Buffalo
Gilbert + Hemsky + draft pick or prospect

To Edmonton
Stafford + Roy + another contract

I'd be willing to make that trade, and we'd be picking up a solid faceoff man in Roy. The Sabres would be addressing their need of finding a playmaker to pass to Vanek.

WG
As crazy as that sounds, I think I might actually pull the trigger on that. If the other contract is Gaustad, I definitely do it and then trade Horcoff for a veteran LW.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:33 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdg View Post
Hemmer's not on pace to match last year's goals total and the way he takes a beating game in game out, I can see him turn into an injury problem fairly soon. Eventually all those hits will catch up to him.

WG
Isnt pretty much everyone an injury problem right now?

Old
11-12-2009, 02:45 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
no not a good idea to trade away a PPG player with a 4.1 mil cap hit, just don't play him on the 1st PP unit right now.
nah. they should just try different plays instead of the Mac-T special. they NEVER try to setup forwards as shooters except once every blue moon. stale powerplays occur because this teams lack of dimension of scorers just makes everyone a boring butt-eater. "lets pass around some more guys, TEHEHE... sure looks cute."

that goes for BOTH PP units.

Hemsky might be a fancy boy but so is every other forward and 50% of the D-men on this team who can actually score. maybe the one exception this year is Penner, but even when the team isnt going on all cylinders, he isnt strong enough to carry the team either.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

I've never been able to warm up to Hemsky personally.

You can see the guy has tons of talent, he can go through streaks where he is dominant.

But he also goes through streaks where he looks completely ineffective, gives up on plays costing his team possession, continuiously tries to force fancy low percentage plays, and skates in predictable patterns with the puck allowing the other teams to box him into corners.

He's a good, but flawed player who tends to delievers a lot of flash, but not always substance. Any potential of 90 - 100 point upside is long gone unless it's on the coat-tails of a better player or as a result of a fantastic offensive team(ala Briere/Drury in Buffalo a few years ago). That doesn't mean the Oilers should trade him however(unless someone makes an offer the Oilers can't refuse). He's still an established offensive talent on a team with few of them, and it's unlikely the Oilers would get a player with similar potential back unless they go for prospects, which are never sure bets to pan out.

Also unlike some, I don't think his contract is a "huge bargain", he's pretty fairly paid for a streaky 20 goal, 60 - 70 point player, and I rather dread his next contract considering how much some of the players in his scoring range are getting overpaid these days.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
TaylorHall
First overall

Hemsky is obviously a good dangler but I think he should mix it up sometimes and make some quick passes instead of always hanging on to the damn puck.

I love watching Penner and Gagner paired up. These two really have chemistry and seem to love to pass the puck quickly to each other. I remember seeing them pass it back and forth like 6 times in a span of 2 seconds and create great scoring chances.

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:21 AM
bzur

I wasn't necessarily directly referring to the Buffalo game, but just in general... I think I like to see our other guys step up and show what they've got... it's more exciting and entertaining for me nowadays.
I'm not knocking him as much as saying I like what this team still brings without him. It's almost as if we play a different style of game.