HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

On the fence about Hemmer

Old
11-12-2009, 07:25 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Hemsky is fine when he doesn't have the puck for too long on his stick....and thats his problem. He holds onto the puck for way too long. Hemsky and Gagner have very similar skillsets but when you watch how each handle the puck on the PP, how they distribute it, you can see how much better Gagner is.

Nothing against Hemsky-he's avg'ing PPG and only 4mil ish but he's gotta learn to play the puck better, use his peers better.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

So on a team where everyone is crying for a star and offense some of us here like our team better without him. I knew some posters on here were bi-polar. But I didn't realize the condition was this bad.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Hemsky the second star in tonight's game according to the NHL.com game summary.

Well, that's good enough reason for me to pull any and all offers off the table for him.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
no not a good idea to trade away a PPG player with a 4.1 mil cap hit, just don't play him on the 1st PP unit right now.
He has never been a PPG player in his career.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertrate View Post
Hemsky is obviously a good dangler but I think he should mix it up sometimes and make some quick passes instead of always hanging on to the damn puck.

I love watching Penner and Gagner paired up. These two really have chemistry and seem to love to pass the puck quickly to each other. I remember seeing them pass it back and forth like 6 times in a span of 2 seconds and create great scoring chances.
Watching Hemmer dangle past 1-3 defenders to score is awesome... but whenever he does that I think "Great, we get to watch him try that another 100 times before it works again."

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
I am on the other side of the fence. I never liked puck hogs. Most of the time they aren't good enough to justify the exclusion of their team mates.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I am on the other side of the fence. I never liked puck hogs. Most of the time they aren't good enough to justify the exclusion of their team mates.
Oh I see, that's why you love seeing Grebs and Staios give the puck away.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh I see, that's why you love seeing Grebs and Staios give the puck away.
Staios is a puck hog?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Staios is a puck hog?
No he isn't a puck hog as in the reason why he is always giving the puck away. I took your comment to mean that Hemsky is a puck hog. Grebs and Staios aren't puck hogs because they distribute the puck, albeit to the other team a lot but they git er done.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Ferraro made a good point stating Hemsky was grimacing in pain during the entire pre-game skate and decided to play through it. First game back from injury - sustaining his PPG right now. To avoid the fans pitchforks, maybe he should have sat out, that way instead of whining about Hemsky we could whine about a a shutout instead.

Both posts hit by POS came from Hemsky - he could have easily had a multiple point game. I understand being passionate about your team and jumping to conclusions but it amazes me with how many people succumb to this.

One major factor we were winning games early in the year was scoring by committee, when people like Brule, Jacques, Cogs and Gags were scoring in timely fashion. That has dried up and the last few wins have come from the first line carrying the rest of the team.
A player like Fernando Pisani needs to do more - making 2 mil a season, taking 0.5 shots in the 6 games he's played is unacceptable. Horcoff when he was playing needed to do more
Gagner needs to snap out of his slump(0 goals in 10 games)

All I'm trying to say is, let's try to calm down on the Hemsky thing after a loss. Him and Penner have been the consistent ones all year.

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
Ferraro made a good point stating Hemsky was grimacing in pain during the entire pre-game skate and decided to play through it. First game back from injury - sustaining his PPG right now. To avoid the fans pitchforks, maybe he should have sat out, that way instead of whining about Hemsky we could whine about a a shutout instead.

Both posts hit by POS came from Hemsky - he could have easily had a multiple point game. I understand being passionate about your team and jumping to conclusions but it amazes me with how many people succumb to this.

One major factor we were winning games early in the year was scoring by committee, when people like Brule, Jacques, Cogs and Gags were scoring in timely fashion. That has dried up and the last few wins have come from the first line carrying the rest of the team.
A player like Fernando Pisani needs to do more - making 2 mil a season, taking 0.5 shots in the 6 games he's played is unacceptable. Horcoff when he was playing needed to do more

All I'm trying to say is, let's try to calm down on the Hemsky thing after a loss. Him and Penner have been the consistent ones all year.
The way he plays has nothing to do with last night or the fact he is coming off an injury. He plays that way when he is fully healthy. Its just what he does. Some like it and some dont.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
frag2

Quote:

I think we're all just reminiscing classic Hemsky:

-take puck, try dangle, fail, lose puck at offensive blue line
-have pp, get puck, hold, hold, spin, spin, spin some more, pass off, pp over and no goal to show for

That's all

Old
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
The way he plays has nothing to do with last night or the fact he is coming off an injury. He plays that way when he is fully healthy. Its just what he does. Some like it and some dont.
So you don't like a player who looks like he is playing like crap but still puts up points?

Old
11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
So you don't like a player who looks like he is playing like crap but still puts up points?
I dont like puck hogs who waste time on the pp and waste opportunities for others to contribute.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
frag2

Quote:
I think ppl are just saying Hemsky can be a tad bit more efficient if he changed his ways slightly

edit: my opinion on puck hogs-i don't mind as long as they produce. ie. kovalchuk, ovechkin

Old
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Hemsky has been very consistent.

He consistently makes bonehead passes and risks low-percentage plays.

He consistently gives the puck away in high-traffic areas.

He cosistently dangles himself into a corner, where he procedes to get smashed into the glass by opposing defencemen.

He consistently tries that toe-drag wrist shot into the top corner, which is good for a goal about once every 47 times he tries it.

He consistently kills penalties for the other team with his bewildering play on the half boards.

Ales Hemsky is a talented hockey player with a lot of drive, and that's why he's put up points and always will put up points.

But he's a wash in terms of what he produces and what he gives up, and I think that's what makes him such a frustrating player. He's as much a threat to the other team as he is to his own.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I dont like puck hogs who waste time on the pp and waste opportunities for others to contribute.
Oh okay. Fair enough. IMO this team has a lot of flaws and Hemmers inability to create something on the PP every single time isn't even close to the top. However I do share the sentiments with others on here that if the right deal came along I would be willing to trade him.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I dunno. .93 pts per game over Hemskys last 4 1/4 seasons seems close enough to call him a point per game player, but that just me.
That being said, I really wonder if hes that smart a hockley player. He must be very, very difficult to play with.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Harrison

Approximately two weeks ago on this board "I am the liquor" created a thread about the possibility of trading Hemsky.

Now we have more people thinking the same thing. I am on the fence right now because I can see both sides of the argument. Two weeks ago I thought liquor was insane for suggesting the idea. Now I am warming up to the idea if the trade is reasonable.

Why am I warming up to the idea? This team has tried for at least 4 years to match up talent with him and we are still trying to find him compatible line-mates. When do we finally say enough is enough? Is this team going to succeed with him? I am really tired of him getting the puck, skating in to the opposition zone, circling the net and feeding cross ice passes that constantly get picked off. Teams are on to his schtick. It is getting old fast.

I say trade him while his value is high, I don't give a crap if he is only making $4M on the cap. When does that $4M get put to good use? Is there a player in the league that can play with him and produce consistently? If not trade him. I am beginning to think no one can play with him.

Damn I hate having to deal such a talent, but if we are consistently going no where with him then it is time to pull the trigger.

Maybe if other so called NHL guys got their **** together we wouldn't be having this conversation because it would take the heat off of Hemsky. I am looking at you Moreau - Pisani - Nilsson.....

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I dunno. .93 pts per game over Hemskys last 4 1/4 seasons seems close enough to call him a point per game player, ........
Exactly, and he is a PPG player right now and has a trerrific cap hit, you don't trade him anywhere. One bad game for any oiler and the masses here are crying TRADE TRADE!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
hockeyaddict101

Ales Hemsky is the only player on this team that has the talent to create multiple brilliant scoring opportunites every game.

The problem is that almost every player on this team wants to be Ales Hemsky.

Nope they won't make as many mistakes simply because they do not have the puck as much as Ales does!

They also won't create as many scoring chances that Ales Hemsky creates every game either!

What this team needs is more players that will actually shoot the puck on a consistent basis!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
This boards capacity to fashion a whipping boy for half-baked reasons is only rivaled by it's complete and utter lack of memory for things that happened over two weeks ago.
Pretty much.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Hey, isn't this the same thread with the same ludicrous comments from a while ago. I first read the comment on the PGT and chose to ignore it, but did you have to start a thread for this? Let me make this easy for us all.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=690322

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Wow, because .8 points-per-game average over his career is so far off the PPG pace. That's including his rookie year too.

He was 4 points off in his 81 game season. 3 points off in a 74 game season. It's not like Hemsky is getting 40 points in a 75 game season here people.

It's funny when people try and use anything they can to try and prove that a player isn't up to their standards.

When's the last time the Oilers had a PPG player consistently? Years and years ago...not counting the current pace of Penner. Hemsky has been the closest thing to it...consistently. So yeah, heck, let's just trade the guy.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Wow, because .8 points-per-game average over his career is so far off the PPG pace. That's including his rookie year too.

He was 4 points off in his 81 game season. 3 points off in a 74 game season. It's not like Hemsky is getting 40 points in a 75 game season here people.

It's funny when people try and use anything they can to try and prove that a player isn't up to their standards.

When's the last time the Oilers had a PPG player consistently? Years and years ago...not counting the current pace of Penner. Hemsky has been the closest thing to it...consistently. So yeah, heck, let's just trade the guy.
When was the last time that you heard OOF say anything positive. Man it must suck to cheer(and I use that loosely) for a team that you don't like.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote