HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

On the fence about Hemmer

Old
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
sparky4

vCash: 500
Why would we trade away our best player. When you trade away the best player in a trade you always lose.

Lets all calm down and use your head.

Hemsky gets PP points he has 1 less then penner in 3 less games.

I think it is the funniest thing in the world when so called oiler fans jump on and of fthe hemsky band wagon each week.

IT was his first game back after two off.

sparky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
When was the last time that you heard OOF say anything positive. Man it must suck to cheer(and I use that loosely) for a team that you don't like.
This is true.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky4 View Post
Why would we trade away our best player. When you trade away the best player in a trade you always lose.

I think it is the funniest thing in the world when so called oiler fans jump on and of fthe hemsky band wagon each week.

THIS ^^^^

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:

But but but he always spins with the puck.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:10 PM
BOUNCE

The only thing thats frustrating to watch is that last year hemsky was dangling and could finish his dangles with goals. This year he's doing the same thing, getting the same chances but the puck isn't finding the net.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
TowMater14

Does anyone want to bother checking what Hemmers point totals were 20 games in last year?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

I find it amazing how people blast Hemsky, yet he will always be around a point per game player which over a full 82 game season is at least 75 points. You have no idea how lucky we are to have him.

Here's a list of guys who all make significantly more than Hemsky. Because of cap I would take Hemsky over each and everyone of these guys in a heart beat even though some might be better. (These are just forwards)

Scott Gomez - 7.4 a season
Chris Drury - 7.0 a season
Vinny Lecavalier - 7.1 a season (at that price for the next 10 years, give me Hemmer)
Brad Richards - 7.8 a season
Daniel Briere - 6.5 a season
Jason Spezza - 7.0 a season
Paul Kariya - 6.0 a season
Ryan Smyth - 6.2 a season
Olli Jokinen - 5.2 a season
Alex Tanguay - 5.2 a season
Brian Rolston - 5.0 a season
Martin Havlat - 6.0 a season
Shawn Horcoff - 5.5 a season

Now here's a list of guys who all make around the same amount as Hemsky. (Between 4-5 million). Again I would take him over every single one of these guys. (Just forwards again)

Patrice Bergeron - 4.8 a season
Saku Koivu - 4.7 a season
Martin Erat - 4.5 a season
Bill Guerin - 4.5 a season
Mike Fisher - 4.2 a season
Scott Hartnell - 4.2 a season
Ryan Malone - 4.5 a season
David Legwand - 4.5 a season
Alex Kovalev - 4.5 a season
Doug Weight - 4.3 a season
Milan Michalek - 4.3 a season
Kristian Huselius - 4.8 a season
Michael Nylander - 4.9 a season
Jason Blake - 4.0 a season
Nathan Horton - 4.0 a season
Michal Handzus - 4.0 a season

Last edited by Cogliano13Gagner89: 11-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Does anyone want to bother checking what Hemmers point totals were 20 games in last year?
They played 19 games this season. After 19 games, Hemsky had 5 goals and 15 assists for 20 points.

11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Wow, because .8 points-per-game average over his career is so far off the PPG pace. That's including his rookie year too.

He was 4 points off in his 81 game season. 3 points off in a 74 game season. It's not like Hemsky is getting 40 points in a 75 game season here people.

It's funny when people try and use anything they can to try and prove that a player isn't up to their standards.

When's the last time the Oilers had a PPG player consistently? Years and years ago...not counting the current pace of Penner. Hemsky has been the closest thing to it...consistently. So yeah, heck, let's just trade the guy.
I think the way the organization is revolving everything around Hemsky is handcuffing the team. If you can't find something to work with Hemsky, get Hemsky to change up his game. Look at Gags.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
But but but he always spins with the puck.
I have a crested Hemmer jersey. Not a hater. But he does do that same **** over and over. You think the league hasn't picked up on his tendancies???

Is it truly wrong to acknowledge flaws in his game?

edit: btw, i'm not saying trade him or anything [unless you get some magical monster haha]

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I think the way the organization is revolving everything around Hemsky is handcuffing the team. If you can't find something to work with Hemsky, get Hemsky to change up his game. Look at Gags.
This ^^

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
missinthejets

Quote:

not to mention that it was a terric play he made to even make the teams lone goal happen...

yeah maybe people don't want hemsky to be the top player on the team, but getting rid of him certainly doesn't make the team better... he's not going to win games all by himself but that doesn't mean you get rid of the guy, that just means you need to get better around him.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
3-10-13 -3 in 20GP.

Quote:
He's not being made into a whipping boy, stop the drama queen act.
When somebody actually implied his returning was enough to make the rest of the team play worse? Yes, he's being fashioned as the scapegoat.

"Other players scoring"? Really?

Dustin Penner: 1.16 PPG
Hemsky: 1.06 PPG
Visnovsky: 0.65 PPG

That's the drop off. One player playing above his head, one defenseman nearly half a PPG below him and Hemsky in the same area he usually is after twenty games played.

Yeah, let's trade him because Penner's been better for twenty games out of the last one hundred and eighty. That'll make this team so much better.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
imkinger

GP: 16
G: 4
A: 13
P: 17
+\-: 4
SOG: 48
SOG/G: 3 (Career high 2.5)

So he's on a better than PPG pace, +4 facing tough competition, and shooting the puck more than ever before.

Let's get rid of him now before everyone else figures out he sucks!!!!!

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
OilerzFRLife

for a guy playing with 'shoulder' problems fresh off sitting around he was ok. i guess what you could expect. but i do have a problem with his play on most nights. terrible in the defensive end and can be sloppy with the puck in the neutral zone resulting in turnovers. fortunately this year he seems to be carrying the puck less in the neutral zone whether thats quinn or our d just failing to get it to him lol which is a good thing thankfully. he has been clutch at times but theres alot more games where hes been lackluster at best and obviously its hard to rag on him against buffalo but even then he wasn't taht impressive. ya he setup the o sullivan goal by passing it 20 feet to the point. reddox couldve fed it.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
OilerzFRLife

he is an on the fence sort of player though. some nights yuo love him and others you absolutely hate him. more the latter tho IMO........ and its not a popular opinion but thats how it is.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Hemsky is fine when he doesn't have the puck for too long on his stick....and thats his problem. He holds onto the puck for way too long. Hemsky and Gagner have very similar skillsets but when you watch how each handle the puck on the PP, how they distribute it, you can see how much better Gagner is.

Nothing against Hemsky-he's avg'ing PPG and only 4mil ish but he's gotta learn to play the puck better, use his peers better.
You got a point. I luv the guy, he is so unselfish and humble that he constantly looks at setting up someone else with that beautiful pass, even when he is in scoring position himself, it's starting to drive me nuts.
Yesterday was a classic example, if it was a COACHING thing or Hemsky as usual, the focus was on POS., it looks like we had to get the puck to POS and constantly give him plum minutes, in order to try and break him out of his slump., and of course Hemmer is there to lend a helping hand

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:42 PM
OilerzFRLife

i dont think hemsky helps himself out production wise being so unselfish. i mean yes you cna pick up alot of points off garbage assists but there comes a time when you need to shoot the puck.

i understand the concern when you dont pass on the 2 on 1 and your thought of as selfish but i mean sometimes the pass just isn't there and most times it isn't because teams know hemsky will always pass even when there is an opportunity to get a goal on his own. if hemsky was a little more selfish and shot a little more i think his production could rise another 5 or 10 pts. but thats his game and offensively from the blueline in i haev no problem with him. its from the offensive blueline back to our goalline that the problem lies.

Old
11-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
i've never liked hemsky at all.. everybody was like "omg hemsky can dangle bah blah blah" when really, he's a flash in the pan player. shows up every now and again. didn't get 20 goals till 2 years ago. i tink he's a poor man's tim connolly.
What?? you mean Tim "never been healthy" Connolly. Thanks for the comparison...

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Tedi

Quote:
What is the org. doing exactly to handcuff the team on behalf of Hemsky? Strange comment...curious for a response.

Old
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
i dont think hemsky helps himself out production wise being so unselfish. i mean yes you cna pick up alot of points off garbage assists but there comes a time when you need to shoot the puck.

i understand the concern when you dont pass on the 2 on 1 and your thought of as selfish but i mean sometimes the pass just isn't there and most times it isn't because teams know hemsky will always pass even when there is an opportunity to get a goal on his own. if hemsky was a little more selfish and shot a little more i think his production could rise another 5 or 10 pts. but thats his game and offensively from the blueline in i haev no problem with him. its from the offensive blueline back to our goalline that the problem lies.
Well hes currently averaging 3 shots per game so hes shooting more then usual, he could still shoot more but its good to see hes progressing

Last edited by battlegoon: 11-13-2009 at 10:11 AM.
battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
he is an on the fence sort of player though. some nights yuo love him and others you absolutely hate him. more the latter tho IMO........ and its not a popular opinion but thats how it is.
Nash and Lecav have also had the same comments said about them. Both are streaky point guys and I'm sure we'd take either one of those guys. How Nash can go from completely dominant to completely invisible game to game is beyond me. Some nights Hemmer gets 3 points and plays lousy, some nights he is great and gets nothing, and some nights he dominates the game. I wish he could level off and be a consistent player, I wish this of the team as well though.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
deanmoriarty

Just for fun I added up post-lockout numbers from our best forwards, to check on their points-per-game.

Penner 280gp 158pts .56ppg

Horcoff 307gp 232pts .75ppg

Gagner 174gp 101pts .58ppg

Hemsky 307gp 284pts .925ppg

That is damn good production and pretty far ahead of anyone else we've got. This team is not better off without Hemsky, no way in hell. Screw trading him for a 'more consistent' player, these numbers are what really matter at the end of the year, and unless Ales is traded for someone who will put up more points (which won't happen), he needs to stay. He's our MVP.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:16 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Nash and Lecav have also had the same comments said about them. Both are streaky point guys and I'm sure we'd take either one of those guys. How Nash can go from completely dominant to completely invisible game to game is beyond me. Some nights Hemmer gets 3 points and plays lousy, some nights he is great and gets nothing, and some nights he dominates the game. I wish he could level off and be a consistent player, I wish this of the team as well though.
agreed hemsky is inconsistent. but yes nash and lecavalier may not bring it every night but 40 goal seasons and at least 80 pts a year no matter how you cut it is alot harder to achieve then hemskys classic 18 G-55 A sort of seasons. im not sure comparisons are even close between those 2 with hemsky. but i understand your point. team consistency is definitely the problem and it does go beyond hemsky, but each player coming out to play every night should alleviate some of the problems we do see with this team. cause some nights the effort just isnt there outside of stortini reddox sort of guys oh and of course khabby

Old
11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
rigger

This board is so freakin bipolar its crazy.

Hemsky has been or best player over the past few years. He wants to be here and he's got a crazy good contract.

This is ludicrous.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote