HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#19 - 11.12.09 | Atlanta Thrashers @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Here are things I can't figure out:

1. Why has Tortorella neutered Avery? he is mostly useless.
2. Why is Staal constantly around the opponents' net (and getting caught up) and Gilroy apparently not permitted to go forward?
3. Why does anyone expect Rozy to be anything else that he has been for the last season-plus? Without Renney's passive system, he is exposed big time.
4. Why on earth is brashear on this team? Even the fighting skills have deteriorated.
5. Why does the huge Brian Boyle refuse to use his size?

I can't figure Torts out. I am surprised to see this club so passive.
completely useless right now. i forgot he was even on the team.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Too much size right now. Obviously, as he matures and what not he'll be capable of handling it. As of right now though, I think he moves quicker than his body responds. I wasn't trying to saying anything negative about him at all. Just pointing out some random things for the poster who asked how they looked.

And I can't agree with letting Dubinsky just walk at the end of his contract. That's really, really bad asset management. Also, the Dubinsky we're watching right now, can be a lot different from a 28 year old Dubinsky. He still has a lot of learning to do.
Yeah, I suppose it depends on the price tag that comes with Dubinsky come contract extension / re-signing him. I'm hoping he does develop but I'm just getting a little impatient. He had periods of brilliance with Jagr in his rookie season. Last year he had a great start and than fizzled out. This year he has just been mediocre, nothing special. A lot of his points came with Gaborik. I'll tell you what I like about Dubinsky over Boyle though, he plays "bigger" than him. Dubinsky isn't afraid to throw a hit, get gritty, etc. I like that. He just needs to find his offensive game. 40-points won't cut it as a second line center. I see 60-point potential in him and I'm just dying to see it come out at this point.

But oh man, if Boyle could figure out how to use that size, hit hard, etc; he can be an extremely effective player because he can skate pretty well for a man his size. His hands aren't bad either, I see a lot of potential with him. Like Dubinsky, he is still young too.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Calling up or signing a 7th dman would be a nice start. Show the 6 other guys that if they don't perform someone else can step in and do it.

Natural selection it up.
Is Mathieu Dandenault still doing the 28 game tryout in Hartford?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:33 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Defense- Just a disgrace tonight, especially in the 1st period. Aside from Roszival nobody stood out horribly, it's just the positioning as pairs out there. The Thrashers got so many ridiculous odd man rushes and our breakout was a disaster as usual. Back to Rozsival, honestly I don't know what to say anymore. The original poster who said that he stick-handles like the puck is a grenade couldn't be more spot on, and he tries to make outlet passes that are downright awful. When he rushes the puck up his feet completely stop, like he can only control one thing at a time. His confidence is easily to most fragile I have seen in a hockey player, he just can't do anything right out there.

Forwards- Definitely went through stretches of poor play, but also had some solid times of puck control. Gaborik had an excellent game, but I feel we rely wayyyyy to much on him to score (see Prospal with 10 second left, he should have shot there). I love Lisin's hustle out there, but he stickhandles way too much and makes bad decisions, but he's definitely one of my favorite forwards on the team. Higgin's play has improved, and while he wasn't everywhere out there he wasn't a detriment like he has been before. I'm worrying about Avery, because he's was awful tonight, and has been for awhile now. He makes so many poor giveaways and shows no physicality anymore (this I can understand). Anisimov will produce if he gets ice time, he's shown it. He takes bad penalties, but I really like Brian Boyle's game, and think he was well worth the 3rd round pick. What happened to Callahan's offense? Sather overpays again.

Goaltending- Not too much to say. Hank wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either.

I can swallow a 4-3 loss, but some things in this game stood out that made me blow a gasket:

-Losng in a typical post-lockout rangers fashion. Give up a goal less then 20 seconds in, let up a goal immediately after we score, and letting in back to back goals like a minute apart. We do this consistently, it's crazy.

-The officials were awful tonight. The call of Del Zotto ruined our chance I believe, and there were many other questionable calls.

-Posts. I'm not saying anything else, this is self-explanatory.

-Kovalchuk. 3 days ago it was pretty much set in stone that he wouldn't play. 2 days ago an article shows up on NHL.com titled "Kovalchuk may play this weekend". Yesterday he decides to purchase a ticket just in case. 5 hours ago he's doubtful. 4 hours and he's going to be a game-time decision, etc. Not only was he good, he was dominant, moreso then Gaborik, and put up 4 points. Don't be suprised to see Malkin and Gonchar make miraculous comebacks when we play Pittsburgh soon.

-Announcers. I have had the treat of watching all my games on MSG my whole life, and while we complain that Sam is slipping, and Joe is captain-obvious, we are spoiled when it comes to announcing. I am in college and have watched all the game on Center Ice Online, and haven't had one game with Sam or Joe, and every game the announcers are brutal. These Thrashers announcers were among the worst (Boston was definitely #1); they refused to call Hedberg anything other then "Moose Hedberg" and Kane "Kid Kane". They were so biased it was unbelievable. It made my experience of watching the game much worse.

Hope Torts rips them a new one and they are ready to play next game, although I doubt it.
Our new PBP guy is brutal. I'd give anything to get rid of him.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

After watching the yankees for the entire off-season and seeing comeback win after comeback win when you think they are down and out (in the 7th,8th and even 9th innings) you are spoiled because the Rangers can never seem to muster a comeback win, much less a late-game tie.

Its so frustrating too because we had so many chances against an AVERAGE goalie yet made him look like a vezina candidate as we do pretty much every goalie. Gaborik can't do it all, and despite him doing as much as he can, some other guys gotta step up and bury the puck in clutch situations (my word choice was intentional).

Another disgraceful one for the L column, and meanwhile New Jersey is showing us up when our roster shows so much more promise then their boring crap. Lou Lamorellos trap seems to still work :/ go figure

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

The Rangers played out and out BRUTAL hockey for the first 40 minutes. It should have been 10-2 after 2, we were so badly outplayed its not even funny. That might have been the worst 2 periods all season for us....granted though I missed the SJ game, so that may qualify as well.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Guess we'll be deleting this one from the DVR. Sounds like it was a total pooch screw.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
My first time hearing them. They were third rate, for sure. One of them called Del Zotto's tumble 'a barrel roll'. Quite disgusting, all game long.
Hilarious because Dave Maloney was FREAKING out at that dive call on the radio.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:06 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Virtually non-existent as a scoring threat?
Because he sure hasn't been the Callahan of late last year.
I really don't see any "go-to guys" on this team other than Gaborik.
Maybe Kotalik but he tends to disappear for long stretches of time.
Kotalik is a "go-to guy" on the powerplay, and thats about it. He's what Drury was before this year, without the defensive game, only difference is he gets his powerplay points different ways. We're all crazy about him because he scores on the PP and does it with a booming shot, but in reality he's going to put up the same #'s Drury averages, and not contribute on the PK, and play an average at best even strength game

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

OMG he went wild for about 3 mins!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:13 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
As somebody else mentioned tonight, the Atlanta crew really made watching the game worse. I paid for Center Ice Online and I felt like muting the audio and rolling with the MSG feed.

I wish I'd heard Maloney, sounds like it was cardiac time

Crappy call, I thought.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
NYReign

Did they show on the broadcast with like 1:20 left or so Lundqvist went out to the circles and was smashing his stick on his ice and screaming for Torts to pull him and send out another attacker and Torts (I'm assuming) told him to go back? I don't want to say much more about this game since I normally regret opinions I have while I'm angry but I am pretty pissed at almost the entire team and especially Torts. One thing I must bring up though is the need for a faceoff man. I know we have bad injuries at the moment but we're playing with three centers at the moment, one of whom (Boyle) is a converted defenseman who can't win a faceoff if his life depended on it, another is a LW playing C in Prospal who is really struggling with key faceoffs and I love Artie but that isn't his strongpoint. Does anyone who follows Hartford know if Locke would be a viable option if only to win faceoffs (though I think he can't hurt offensively)? Or is someone like Mike Zigomanis out there as a free agent still to be a fourth line center (when everyone's healthy I'd try Boyle on the wing)?

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Did they show on the broadcast with like 1:20 left or so Lundqvist went out to the circles and was smashing his stick on his ice and screaming for Torts to pull him and send out another attacker and Torts (I'm assuming) told him to go back? I don't want to say much more about this game since I normally regret opinions I have while I'm angry but I am pretty pissed at almost the entire team and especially Torts. One thing I must bring up though is the need for a faceoff man. I know we have bad injuries at the moment but we're playing with three centers at the moment, one of whom (Boyle) is a converted defenseman who can't win a faceoff if his life depended on it, another is a LW playing C in Prospal who is really struggling with key faceoffs and I love Artie but that isn't his strongpoint. Does anyone who follows Hartford know if Locke would be a viable option if only to win faceoffs (though I think he can't hurt offensively)? Or is someone like Mike Zigomanis out there as a free agent still to be a fourth line center (when everyone's healthy I'd try Boyle on the wing)?
Actually other way around, centerman converted to a Defensemen for a short time.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
NYReign

thanks for the correction, forgot about that. either way, he can't win a faceoff lol

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
TomLaidlaw

What is wrong with Marc Staal? He was horrific tonight. Spinning in circles, falling over himself, he looked drunk. Not that anyone on the defense looked good, but he was really having problems out there.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I've especially noticed that Staal has been struggling lately. I believe that the coaching staff is telling him to get more involved in the offense this season. However, that comes at the expense of a few very ill-advised pinches in the offensive zone that have more often than not led to odd man rushes the other way. While his positioning on the offensive side of the puck seems better in comparison to past seasons, I think his defensive game has taken a hit as a result. Staal's been looking VERY average for a while now, IMO.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
One thing I must bring up though is the need for a faceoff man. I know we have bad injuries at the moment but we're playing with three centers at the moment, one of whom (Boyle) is a converted defenseman who can't win a faceoff if his life depended on it, another is a LW playing C in Prospal who is really struggling with key faceoffs and I love Artie but that isn't his strongpoint.
Funny you mention that tonight. He was 10-5 on faceoffs, or 67%.

It was a strong point in Hartford. He was dreadful earlier this season, but he's coming along nicely.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Rangerfans

Not even 20 games in, and we already watch the coaches head

I thought MDZ had a pretty wretched game. Defensively we were absolutely brutal. If it wasn't for Hank would have been far worse.

But really, I have to be honest: reading the comments on this board is an absolute riot.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:35 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
What is wrong with Marc Staal? He was horrific tonight. Spinning in circles, falling over himself, he looked drunk. Not that anyone on the defense looked good, but he was really having problems out there.
Maybe he is partying with Chris Higgins

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:44 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
hes played well of late. think he could fetch a good return in a trade if he continues this play. long term i dont see him here if our prospects develop.
I'm scared for our future defense.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well

weve officially become

last years team

goodnite
glad I'm not the only one with a serious case of Deja Vu

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Devils in first in the East. Rangers only 3 points ahead of the Islanders.

Yeah, we have some issues.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

Defcon 1 if the isles catch up. And they probably have fewer GP because for some reason we have a crapload more GP than other teams.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

correctable though... I think the first part of the season proved this team is capable of playing great hockey...right now they are in a bad losing streak, it happens to all teams.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:19 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

A post away from a tie game...

Seriously...I feel bad for Ales...I think he's a post a game player. He just doesnt get that bounce.

Team and Coach took 2 periods to adjust without Dubi/Drury....once they did they dominated. The lose sucks A LOT but im looking forward to next game...did anyone really expect them to just dominate the first game after losing their #1 and #2 centers?

AA looked great BTW....I cant wait to see him with added icetime.

Relax guys...we will be ok

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote