HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very good article about Gainey

Old
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
C4KOMI

vCash: 500
He says Bob is not magician, I disagree.
A guy who can survive a horrible season(s)
A change of ownership
A big fiasco
A list of UFA longer than a soccer team
A signing of a player for 8 million who averages 60 pts/year
A five year plan that is in its sixth year
is a magician.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Whitesnake,....Sorry if I'm missing the boat on something (I'm a bit sleep deprived these days) but what is this story about "2 NHL prospects" that you've referred to a couple of times?
Didn't want to repeat it since I've been talking a lot about it but just for you......

After the 2006 draft, I was at the dev. camp and Timmins came over and said hi. He doesn't know me at all but since they are use to me at being at every camp I can go, well they just know I'm a fan who likes the prospects and Trevor decided to come and sit near me. I decided to talk to him and it lasted a big 45 minutes. First, let just say that this guy is a great guy. He didn't have to do it, but he was really patient with my questions as if I was a journalist and you see that he's really passionnate about what he's doing.

Having said that, 2 things came to my attention and not necessarily in a good way. The first, was about Claude Giroux. I was obviously really wondering about the Fischer pick and wondered why he didn't went for Giroux. Well, again it's a conversation that means so much, obviously he probably had more in mind then what he told me, but I have to go with what he said. And he said to me that the decisive factor, note that he DID use decisive, about not picking him was that he found, at the Habs camp of Q prospects, that he didn't have fast feet. That in some exercices, he was paired with Mathieu Carle who was much faster. And that was it. He didn't speak about something else, the feet has spoken. And it has spoken quite loudly 'cause we did end up with not picking Giroux AND picking Carle. Again, we all know that at the time, he was putting emphasis to d-men and there has to be something else, but still the DECISIVE factor, seems that I didn't understand it at the time, and still doesn't understand it now. And again, knowing that they were aiming at D's, while we did need it big time, says a lot about how from some people in here, we ALWAYS have to go with BPA when clearly 06 and 07 were for d-men needs, and 09 were for Centermen needs but that's another topic....

The other NHL prospect was about MY 2006 favorite Patrik Berglund. I told him how I had wished we would have picked him 'cause of our needs and so on....He said that he was interesting but again, what made them change their mind is the fact that Berglund didn't want to leave his local Swedish team just yet. He said that it was a clear lack of maturity and commitment. While at the time I didn't know the whole story, I just left him like that wondering what it was all about. Well we did read somewhere or it came to my attention somehow (honestly, I don't remember how I came upon this but I did) that the real story about Berglund not wanting to leave was that he wanted to make his local team so they'd reach an upper division level. And then he would have made the jump to the SEL or whatever he had in mind at that time. The St-Louis head scout even talked about it saying that for them it was not a problem 'cause on the contrary it showed some commitment to his local team and didn't want to abandon them at the expense, maybe, of his own progression but still not for a very long time.

So it might not be a lot for some, but I did spend a lot of time talking to him and while I appreciated his company, I am not sure I totally share the same kind of view as far as prospects and development. He's not the worst, far from it. But some decisive factors for me were and are still mind boggling. Add to that his quote that I quoted as far as the C's are concerned after the 2007 draft and some others, add to that the research that I do on my own, watching prospects on TV, on the Web, live in Verdun and sometimes even headed to Drummondville before Verdun had a team, reading about them and I know that I have my own view of how I'd pick my prospects. Doesn't mean I would not have done my share of mistakes obviously, I've already stated a lot of them already. But I'm just saying that with everything I've stated, I'm not ALL IN on Timmins but got my reservations.

Having said all of that, some years are better than others. Out of my top 5 per round (which end up 35 picks) I did last summer, Timmins ended up picking 4 of my guys (Leblanc, Naatinen, Dumont and Walsh) So I can't totally blast him....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote