HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The oilers power play

Old
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Oiler77

vCash: 500
The oilers power play

85% of the time Hemsky does nothing but skates a few circles on the half boards and passes to the point for the one-timer.Does anybody else think that the oilers power play is to predictable?

Oiler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
tv14

Only Penner has more PP points then Hemsky on this team, 1 more in 3 more games. So to say that Hemsky is the problem is dumb. The PP obviously produces with him on it. Last year he had 10 more points then the next closest forward on the team in PP points and was ranked 23rd overall in the league with PP points.

Hemsky might be struggling, but shouldnt be taken off the first unit.
Who do you guys want in his place? Pisani? Comrie? Cogliano? Potulny? These guys arent better options.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Ogopogo*

I really question why Quinn gives so much powerplay time to guys like O'Sullivan and Comrie then virtually ignores Cogliano when it comes to the PP.

If given the opportunity, I believe Cogliano could lead this team in goals. What does Quinn have against the kid?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

The Oilers seem to have a lot better control on their PP this year than in the past. They are moving the puck around well and at least controlling the zone for teh majority of their PP's instead of constantly going and retreving the puck in their own zone.

But with that said they can still work on thier PP as they need to learn a way to get the puck to the middle for primo chances.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
I really question why Quinn gives so much powerplay time to guys like O'Sullivan and Comrie then virtually ignores Cogliano when it comes to the PP.

If given the opportunity, I believe Cogliano could lead this team in goals. What does Quinn have against the kid?
I think the better question is why do you have such a ***** for Louis Mendoza.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Pros and Cons

Defending Predictable (pun)

Well if we think so, then imagine the guys who make a living playing hockey against the Oilers.
Totally predictable on the powerplay when Souray and Hemsky are out. However alot of teams have a set play, but hard to defend (see Detroit). All things considered, the powerplay has done well, injuries have hampered many areas of the system.

I think our number one problem in every facet of the game relates to shots, we are not getting them from enough players. If we can increase our shots (lets say 5) per game, rebounds, delections, miscues can happen. I am sick of the dipsy doodle, and one guy skating in the puck only to lose it. That has to piss off teammates.
Just think in baseball, the third baseman has to throw the ball to first to make the out, he can't run it over there by himself everytime. So how about stick to a system and get some more shots, even strength and on the powerplay. As the Great One once said, "Youíll miss 100% of the shots you donít take".

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

The oilers have a powerplay?

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
The oilers have a powerplay?
Ya a top 10 one.
I dont see why everyone is so concerned about it, its been working fine, except for one game (last night) with significant injuries to both units, on the 2nd half of a back to back.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Walsher

Quote:

Cogliano will never lead his team in goals. He doesn't have the offensive flair or finish. I also don't see him being a good PP guy. He doesn't have a great shot, nor is he a playmaker so having him on the half wall is counterproductive and he is a midget so there is no place for him in front of the net.

Cogliano is at his best when he is skating with the puck driving d-men back or beating them and getting to the net. His only usefulness on the PP would be carrying the puck with speed for offensive zone entry - but unfortunately his handles are not good enough to maneuver through the defenders lined up at the blueline.

ANy PP time he gets is strictly a cookie for hard work on PK and ES.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Oiler77

The oilers power play did just fine with Hemsky out of the line-up(best all season).I'm just saying maybe somebody else besides Hemsky can lead the power play sometimes,switch it up because it is clearly to predictable.

Old
11-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Cogliano will never lead his team in goals. He doesn't have the offensive flair or finish. I also don't see him being a good PP guy. He doesn't have a great shot, nor is he a playmaker so having him on the half wall is counterproductive and he is a midget so there is no place for him in front of the net.

Cogliano is at his best when he is skating with the puck driving d-men back or beating them and getting to the net. His only usefulness on the PP would be carrying the puck with speed for offensive zone entry - but unfortunately his handles are not good enough to maneuver through the defenders lined up at the blueline.

ANy PP time he gets is strictly a cookie for hard work on PK and ES.
So how are Comrie and O'Sullivan a better fit on the PP?

Old
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
ThePresent83

The PP is a top ten based on essentialy one game that we played.
We played that game WITHOUT hemsky...

The power play without hemsky relies less on one player who starts all the plays and instead moves the puck quickly until there is a good scoring opportunity.
I think hemsky should be on the PP, but i think the team needs to restructure how the PP opporates. In colorado it was puck movement from different areas, the puck came down low more often, and the colorado PK became much more stretched out allowing for the east-west passing.

I think its also essential that we have a both a presence in front of the net (Penner has been doing great) but we also need the off side winger (generally Hemsky) to go to the net with a little more urgency during those cross seem shots and point shots.
Someone driving the opposite post is a huge goal scoring grab.

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:21 PM
oilersnyc

I posted this in the PGT ... it's the first thing that came to mind after watching our PP from last night ...

Posted via Mobile Device

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
I'd say O'Sullivan because he has a great shot when he uses it (and when he hits the net).

Comrie I have no clue, I'm still not sold on the idea of him being an Oiler.

I agree that it would be nice to check out Cogliano on the PP though, it couldn't hurt.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersnyc View Post
I posted this in the PGT ... it's the first thing that came to mind after watching our PP from last night ...

Posted via Mobile Device
The spanish commentator is essentialy Rod Phillips lol
A dump in on goal sounds like it has a chance when your listining to 630 CHED

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
frag2

Quote:
They aren't either but thats another question for another day

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Rin

I wouldn't mind bumping Hemsky down the 2nd PP unit and putting Gagner back on the top unit. It may or may not be a permanent switch, it all just depends on how things go.

I agree Hemsky probably isn't the problem, but why break something that worked so well vs Colorado? I also think that if Potulny sticks, he can be the Horcoff of a few seasons ago finishing those cross ice passes from Hemsky.

Also, doing this will prove if our PP vs Colorado was a fluke (or lots of luck) or not. Really, what are we going to lose if we try this for one game?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

Cogs got time last night and basically did what Hemsky does - holds the puck along the half boards and pass it back to the point, which results in more passing.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

vCash: 50
Of the many problems this team currently has, the PP is not one of them, for once. It sucks that it didn't help us win last night, but that was as much Ryan Miller as anything.

What are we, ranked 6 or something, WITHOUT Shelly?

I'll take it.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
oilfan9911

What we need on this team is Souray back there with Visnovsky at the point with him...hemsky gagner and penner down low..this way gagner and penner can work it down low while hemsky controls the boards, setting up the one timers for either souray or visnovsky.

The problem with the Oilers PP currently is that it is too stagnant..either we focus down low and cross crease passing or we work the points, they need to figure out a way to establish both these threats on the same unit so that teams can't focus in on one of them and shut us down.

oilfan9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Oiler77

It's not terrible Jett but could be so much better,So many times it's just lazy stupid passes....The line up is just too small when JFJ,Stone are out,they really drive the net and are truely missed.The line up is small enough as it is.

Old
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Walsher

Quote:
O'Sullivan can shoot and Comrie can pass.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Soundwave

The issue I have with the PP is the Jekyl/Hyde nature of it. Yes, its producing at a decent clip, but it often goes dry right when the Oilers need it most.

There have been several situations this year where really we've had games turn against us because we haven't been able to convert on a crucial PP situation during a crucial part of the game.

The 5-on-3 at the Saddledome, the 4-on-3 versus Calgary in the second BoA in OT, the 5-minute PP versus Buffalo yesterday, there was a 5-on-3 in the game versus Vancouver ... all those games probably would've turned out differently if the Oilers could've scored.

Souray coming back will certainly help.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
O'Sullivan can shoot and Comrie can pass.
O'Sullivan can shoot hard but God knows where the puck is heading. Comrie can pass but he is pretty soft otherwise.

I don't see any value these two bring to the table that is more than what Cogliano does.

Old
11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
HopefulCoach

-----Penner
Hemsky O'Sullivan
---------Souray
----Visnovsky

That gives Hemsky 3 outlets with 3 huge one timer shots, and a huge body in front. 4 guys cant cut off all those lanes.

----Horcoff
Gagner
-----Cogliano
Grebeshkov Gilbert

Horcoff digs well in the corner and can be a presence in front of the goalie. Cogliano in the slot gives him a nice place to shoot from. His speed allows him to go after the puck when it goes in the opposite corner. this also opens the back lane for Gilbert to pinch down like he likes to.

Those two PP with those set ups could be absolutely dangerous. They need to dump and let Penner/Horcoff crash into the corner and get the puck while the rest set up. They try and carry it in too much.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote