HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators @ Blues | 7:00 PM faceoff

Old
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
dissappointing game =\ was expecting more tonight.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
well what a pisspoor performance. they better play at least 3x as good when i'm at the game tomorrow

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
TerminatorBlue

Well same old ****,our inconsistent play that is.

So is it our coaching?
Are our players not as good as we think they are?
No Chemistry?

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:19 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman_the_Iceman View Post
What was Rinne biotchin' about on that goal?
was at work when the goal happened, but he was probably pissed at his defense. he has tendencies to call out his d when they let him down.

and, i am a believer that both those calls (hit on dumont, and on kariya) were both bs. both were in vulnerable positions, and they both put themselves there. i am not sure what to do about them.

only difference was once was a hit, and one was a shove.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
mmitchell19

Saw this result coming about halfway through the first period. We scored early, played aggressive (for the most part) for the rest of the period to try to generate some more chances, but some good chances came back toward our net. Lo and behold, in the final two periods, there was a lot less intensity (Backes excluded...what a crummy call that was) and a lot more lead-protecting.

The sooner this team gets it through their heads that the ONLY way they'll be successful is to skate hard, dictate the pace, and crash...the better. If that style has been coached out of them, the season is probably lost. I can't believe how much these guys played as if the opponent should roll over & die tonight just because we won by five two nights ago. That's not Blues hockey.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

obligatory clip for another disheartening loss:

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Robin Hood

Eller got 6 minutes of icetime. What is going on??

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:26 AM
St.Louis sports fan

Murray is in love with veteran players, even if they aren't playing well. He double shifted Tkachuk and sat Eller on the bench. Walt made a terrible non-play along the boards that led to the GWG. He and Kariya need to sit. Sydor/Brewer on the point on the powerplay is just laughable.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:39 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
Murray is in love with veteran players, even if they aren't playing well. He double shifted Tkachuk and sat Eller on the bench. Walt made a terrible non-play along the boards that led to the GWG. He and Kariya need to sit. Sydor/Brewer on the point on the powerplay is just laughable.
Why did he even change the powerplay tonight? 2 for 7 (I think) in the Canucks game. That's a 28%. That's good. It's not a golf score AM.

I just don't get this guy, I'm absolutely lost as to what he could possibly be thinking.

Also... Backes leaves the game early and oyur idea then is to short-shift Eller? Neato, there goes two offensive players.

The even strength time numbers were better last night, which is the stat I go off of really. They still aren't anywhere near what successful teams do, but they were a step in the right direction.

If you looked at ESTOI then you would think McDonald is our first line center. That's neat because Murray doesn't normally do that. However, McClement looks like our second line center, getting more ice time than Berglund and Tkachuk...

There are alarming numbers:

Berglund's total time on ice was 11:14.
Eller's was, as mentioned, 6:00.
Meanwhile, Crombeen got 18:29 tonight. That's more than the ice times of Jackman, Sydor or Polak.

So Crombeen is one of those players you want out there more than your defense? Only top line forwards will normally see ice time greater than your defense, and I hate to break it to Murray, but Crombeen is not a top line player.

If we're going to lose and be under .500, then I don't see any reason why Berglund, Perron, Oshie, Eller, Johnson, Pietrangelo and Junland aren't getting top line time up here. If we're going to lose, then put out the guys who will gain the most from us losing.

I'm just lost at this point with Murray. His line of thought absolutely escapes me. It doesn't escape the score board, though.

Last edited by blue bleeder 24-7: 11-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.
blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:01 AM
number 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Why did he even change the powerplay tonight? 2 for 7 (I think) in the Canucks game. That's a 28%. That's good. It's not a golf score AM.

I just don't get this guy, I'm absolutely lost as to what he could possibly be thinking.

Also... Backes leaves the game early and oyur idea then is to short-shift Eller? Neato, there goes two offensive players.

The even strength time numbers were better last night, which is the stat I go off of really. They still aren't anywhere near what successful teams do, but they were a step in the right direction.

If you looked at ESTOI then you would think McDonald is our first line center. That's neat because Murray doesn't normally do that. However, McClement looks like our second line center, getting more ice time than Berglund and Tkachuk...

There are alarming numbers:

Berglund's total time on ice was 11:14.
Eller's was, as mentioned, 6:00.
Meanwhile, Crombeen got 18:29 tonight. That's more than the ice times of Jackman, Sydor or Polak.

So Crombeen is one of those players you want out there more than your defense? Only top line forwards will normally see ice time greater than your defense, and I hate to break it to Murray, but Crombeen is not a top line player.

If we're going to lose and be under .500, then I don't see any reason why Berglund, Perron, Oshie, Eller, Johnson, Pietrangelo and Junland aren't getting top line time up here. If we're going to lose, then put out the guys who will gain the most from us losing.

I'm just lost at this point with Murray. His line of thought absolutely escapes me. It doesn't escape the score board, though.

Typically I'm not a Murray basher, however I couldn't believe how he was still playing his matchups after Nashville scored in the 3rd. I am I wrong to think there should be more offensive minded players out there with less than three minutes left in the game? I too got sick of seeing Crombeen last night. I think his game is not tailored to play with a guy like Paul Kariya.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Silent Shout

2:30 left in the 3rd. Who is out on the ice? You guessed it, McClement and Crombeen.

Silent Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM
concept*

Crombeen... 18:29...? I don't think there's a shaking head big enough to describe how depressing it is to hear that. Fire him for that alone.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:01 AM
SteenMachine

What really boggles me is if they're such great defensive players how the hell do we get out shot 20-10 in a period.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
What really boggles me is if they're such great defensive players how the hell do we get out shot 20-10 in a period.
How many goals were scored against the Kariya-McClement-Crombeen line again? 0

Maybe Eller/Berglund/Oshie should get more results than one really good shift and another couple so so shifts and they might see some more ice time. By all means lets shift the onus from them actually getting some results out there to Murray and what a horrible coach he is because an entire line that has less than 200NHL games played is not playing consistently who woulda thunk that's possible?. Did we forget about that game against Philly where Eller had what 17-18 minutes? Or is it just slipping peoples minds that he actually played well in that game? They need to keep working hard and the results will come, then the ice time will follow and the wins will pile up.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
How many goals were scored against the Kariya-McClement-Crombeen line again? 0
How many goals were scored by the Kariya-McClement-Crombeen? 0

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
How many goals were scored by the Kariya-McClement-Crombeen? 0

Neat. How many goals did they score though?

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:54 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Neat. How many goals did they score though?
How many goals have Berglund Oshie and Eller scored to warrant more ice time? Better yet how many shifts have they played where they kept the play in the offensive zone the entire time?

Old
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 77 View Post
Typically I'm not a Murray basher, however I couldn't believe how he was still playing his matchups after Nashville scored in the 3rd. I am I wrong to think there should be more offensive minded players out there with less than three minutes left in the game? I too got sick of seeing Crombeen last night. I think his game is not tailored to play with a guy like Paul Kariya.
preach on, brother. Our numbers grow by the day.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:53 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
preach on, brother. Our numbers grow by the day.
You're obviously the chief Murray basher.

Who you got to replace him?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:51 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
You're obviously the chief Murray basher.

Who you got to replace him?
This is still a really good question. There aren't many GOOD coaches out there, and for the one's that are available, none seem like a significant upgrade to Murray. If we're looking for a really strong coach to turn this thing around, we need to find a really strong coach.

Who's out there? Therrien? Mactavish? Is there someone I'm missing?

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
This is still a really good question. There aren't many GOOD coaches out there, and for the one's that are available, none seem like a significant upgrade to Murray. If we're looking for a really strong coach to turn this thing around, we need to find a really strong coach.

Who's out there? Therrien? Mactavish? Is there someone I'm missing?
Laviolette?

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:25 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Laviolette?
Indeed. He may be the best fit of the guys available. I remember carolina being about the exact opposite in terms of structure vs the current blues, so it would likely be a drastic change that people would get behind. His teams have been so inconsistent, though. I think blues fans would be calling for his head after year 2 for his lack of defensive structure.

To be fair, I didn't follow the canes closely after they won the cup.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:55 PM
MattBennett
HFB Partner

starting goalies: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/7805/sta...vember-14-2009
sharks' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...ks-team-lineup
blues' lines: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/team-lin...es-team-lineup
betting analysis and fan picks: http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/7886/pic...favourite-pick

MattBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
How many goals have Berglund Oshie and Eller scored to warrant more ice time? Better yet how many shifts have they played where they kept the play in the offensive zone the entire time?
Kind of difficult to score only playing 6 minutes.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Kind of difficult to score only playing 6 minutes.
Oh here we go again...Scroll up.