HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Penner put up 80 points this year?

Old
11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

vCash: 500
If he continues to play this type of hockey...he will for sure post 80 pts.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
If he continues to play this type of hockey...he will for sure post 80 pts.
He's not continuing to play "this type of hockey" even at this point. His pace has already cooled drastically.

At the 10 game mark Penner had 8G 7A 15pts. The Oilers were scoring in bunches and were close to leading the league in scoring. Pure atypical stuff.

Since then, in the last 9 games Penner has 3G 4A 7pts and has been shutout in 6 of those games. A nice pace for Penner continuing even on that level but nothing at all like the first 10 games when Penner shot out of a cannon.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
jbean

Here's another question: Who will have more points, Penner or Hemsky?

I think Penner will be around 70 points and Hemsky at about the same. If I had to pick one above the other I would go with Hemsky.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
OilerzFRLife

at the beginning of this season im pretty sure any pts above 50 this yaer would be considered bonus. and argueng about whether he gets 75-80 this year is wasted chatter. if he puts up 25 goals than ill be happy.obivously i want him to put up the best numbers he can but ive got alot of other concerns about this team than whether he puts up 60 or 70 or 80. any of those are bonus pts considering the player weve seen up until this year.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
OilerzFRLife

BTW i think pierre mcguire has a hard on for penner. any time he was on the ice for us agaisnt buffalo it was penner this and penner that. i dont disagree with him but he just takes it to another level hahaha.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
TheGudge

We need to be better on the PP. Penner should be the focus here, not Hemsky. I think we are all growing tired with seeing Hemmer do circles on the halfboard only to cough it up while Penner battles in front. We need to be shooting from everywhere with him in front, instead we try and set up the open net one-timer. For Penner to get 80, we need to fix the PP around his skill set, not Hemsky's.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Tommy35

Nope, no way. Even if Hemsky's is injury free (knock on wood) for the remainder of the season

Tommy35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Perfect_Drug

Yeah, He will get 80+ points.

I think he figured out how to use his size and frame. His production has come back to earth, mainly because teams can now completely focus on him (still hard to stop him when he uses his size effectively).

Call me an optimist.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
oilerfanatic

hell no

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
can he? yes, will he? I don't know.
Agreed.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He's not continuing to play "this type of hockey" even at this point. His pace has already cooled drastically.

At the 10 game mark Penner had 8G 7A 15pts. The Oilers were scoring in bunches and were close to leading the league in scoring. Pure atypical stuff.

Since then, in the last 9 games Penner has 3G 4A 7pts and has been shutout in 6 of those games. A nice pace for Penner continuing even on that level but nothing at all like the first 10 games when Penner shot out of a cannon.
And when did the flu factor into his game and how long has it been since he's recovered? How many times did the TEAM get shut out or score 1 goal in those last 9?

Old
11-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Bootzdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler77 View Post
Your thoughts?
well, he's on pace for 50 goals, and 50 assists. so 80 is possible

Bootzdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Give me a break. Half the team is on IR and when they were together they were top in the league for GF. They're doing what they can under the circumstances.
If the Oilers had won last night I bet he wouldn't have posted that. These boards suffer from extreme mood swings.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

30-30-60ish

Somebody is going to have to pick up the slack because he's going to start slumping eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
BTW i think pierre mcguire has a hard on for penner. any time he was on the ice for us agaisnt buffalo it was penner this and penner that. i dont disagree with him but he just takes it to another level hahaha.
McGuire is an overzealous bandwagon hopper. Any time a player generates a buzz, he heaps on the praise.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:

You've been very vocal recently in trying to convince us all that Penner is destined to cool off, slow down etc.. however you normally put it; well I agree because judging from what we've seen the past 3 years how could one not expect him to - to start the year he's been playing out of this world. So in this case it's only logical to assume he can't keep it up.

But (back to your bolded point)...

I'd say that's more in part with the team as a whole collapsing due to a number of circumstances, injuries, the flu bug, everyone around Penner having mini slumps.

even in the past 9 games as you have pointed out, he could've easily had a point in every one of those games, he's continually been Edmonton's best forward game in and game out. He is not an elite player, however he has been a horse and doing his best to produce offense when the rest of the roster absolutely can not. It's not unreasonable to believe this could be his break out year where he potentially evolves into a "lower end" star. Clearly he's shown he has the skill to do it.

Even when he hasn't been scoring, he's been creating chances and generally speaking has had boatloads of opportunities. I wouldn't say he's cooled off at all, numbers aside. If the team had stayed healthy and Hemsky or Horcoff ( ...err, probably just Hemsky ) hadn't missed a few games, he'd have probably at least 2-3 more points, ATM.

Last edited by Philly85: 11-13-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'd say that's more in part with the team as a whole collapsing due to a number of circumstances, injuries, the flu bug, everyone around Penner having mini slumps.

even in these 9 games as you have pointed out, he could easily had a point in every one of those games, he's continually been Edmonton's best forward game in and game out. He is not an elite player, however he has been a horse and doing his best produce offense when the rest of the roster absolutely can not.

Even when he hasn't been scoring, he's been creating chances and generally speaking has had boatloads of opportunities. I wouldn't say he's cooled off at all, numbers aside. If the team had stayed healthy and Hemsky or Horcoff hadn't missed a few games, he'd have probably at least 2-3 more points, ATM.
Exactly. Those shutouts were a direct result of the team slumping and failing to score goals. Penner was easily the Oilers' best player in all of those scoreless outings.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Just edited my post like a zillion times haha, oh well.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
You've been very vocal recently in trying to convince us all that Penner is destined to cool off, slow down etc.. however you normally put it; well I agree because judging from what we've seen the past 3 years how could one not expect him to - to start the year he's been playing out of this world. So in this case it's only logical to assume he can't keep it up.

But (back to your bolded point)...

even in the past 9 games as you have pointed out, he could've easily had a point in every one of those games, he's continually been Edmonton's best forward game in and game out. He is not an elite player, however he has been a horse and doing his best to produce offense when the rest of the roster absolutely can not. It's not unreasonable to believe this could be his break out year where he potentially evolves into a "lower end" star. Clearly he's shown he has the skill to do it.

Even when he hasn't been scoring, he's been creating chances and generally speaking has had boatloads of opportunities. I wouldn't say he's cooled off at all, numbers aside. If the team had stayed healthy and Hemsky or Horcoff ( ...err, probably just Hemsky ) hadn't missed a few games, he'd have probably at least 2-3 more points, ATM.
Its a breakout year regardless of how many pts he gets. Right now he's getting massive minutes, he's worked onto the mega A list of the new coach, he's looked to as a go to guy on the team now that players are looking to find with a pass.

Great job by Penner. Smart guy and has totally grabbed the bull by the horns at the right time.

But where some of it balances out is Penner as the season will recieve, if teams want to beat us, much closer marking. One of Penners problems on this club is the likely lack of supporting scoring. This is a club that struggles to have 2 lines going at anytime. We simply don't have premium offensive depth. The problem with that is its really easier for an opponent to only have to match one line carefully and throw some shutdown on it or match toplines(in both cases I don't like our chances matching up favorably)

Next, as I mentioned Penner has already expended a huge amount of effort getting to where he has this quickly.

The last 10 games is kind of revealing and Penner is 4G 4A in that stretch which is very good for him but in that total one of the goals was largely incidental on the Staios shot, Penner never touched the puck with any part of the anatomy expected to produce a goal, while 2 other assists against Detroit were where he was awarded an assist for banging a puck the goalie saves and then somebody else finishes. Detroit for instance was playing horrible at that time and its uncharacteristic that any NHL team is going to allow an opponent to bang away 4 times with 2-3 players till the puck goes in.

So the problem for Penner is 3 out of his past 8 pts are pretty inadvertent and a bit of fortune.

Again Penner is playing well and good players create their own luck but we'll see.

Personally I see his pace being around 7pts/10 games on average the rest of the way. 60-65pts imo.

ps people say alot about the flu creating havoc the last 10 games but don't forget to factor in that coaching changes almost always bring an initial wave of hardwork and enthusiasm from the team and from players trying to sort through the pecking order. The trouble for the Oilers is that the depth is really so abysmal that all the players have already established their bit of turf. Unless your name is Nilsson or Moreau and you're just as likely gone.
I would say really that Pouliot is the only one that would try to earn a position but really what are the chances of that?

Unfortunately at 19 games in we're past the initial new coach wave. We're headed into what the team will now look like. Right now its looking like doldrums and flu is really a poor excuse this week.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-13-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old
11-13-2009, 01:16 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Its a breakout year regardless of how many pts he gets. Right now he's getting massive minutes, he's worked onto the mega A list of the new coach, he's looked to as a go to guy on the team now that players are looking to find with a pass.

Great job by Penner. Smart guy and has totally grabbed the bull by the horns at the right time.

But where some of it balances out is Penner as the season will recieve, if teams want to beat us, much closer marking. One of Penners problems on this club is the likely lack of supporting scoring. This is a club that struggles to have 2 lines going at anytime. We simply don't have premium offensive depth. The problem with that is its really easier for an opponent to only have to match one line carefully and throw some shutdown on it or match toplines(in both cases I don't like our chances matching up favorably)

Next, as I mentioned Penner has already expended a huge amount of effort getting to where he has this quickly.

The last 10 games is kind of revealing and Penner is 4G 4A in that stretch which is very good for him but in that total one of the goals was largely incidental on the Staios shot, Penner never touched the puck with any part of the anatomy expected to produce a goal, while 2 other assists against Detroit were where he was awarded an assist for banging a puck the goalie saves and then somebody else finishes. Detroit for instance was playing horrible at that time and its uncharacteristic that any NHL team is going to allow an opponent to bang away 4 times till the puck goes in.

So the problem for Penner is 3 out of his past 8 pts are pretty inadvertent and a bit of fortune.

Again Penner is playing well and good players create their own luck but we'll see.

Personally I see his pace being around 7pts/10 games on average the rest of the way. 60-65pts imo.

ps people say alot about the flu creating havoc the last 10 games but don't forget to factor in that coaching changes almost always bring an initial wave of hardwork and enthusiasm from the team and from players trying to sort through the pecking order. The trouble for the Oilers is that the depth is really so abysmal that all the players have already established their bit of turf. Unless your name is Nilsson or Moreau and you're just as likely gone.
I would say really that Pouliot is the only one that would try to earn a position but really what are the chances of that?

Unfortunately at 19 games in we're past the initial new coach wave. We're headed into what the team will now look like. Right now its looking like doldrums and flu is really a poor excuse this week.
But the 70 point bet is still on, right?

Ouch.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
But the 70 point bet is still on, right?

Ouch.
Penner has only made it interesting. We need something to keep us on the edge of our seats with the team mired in 12th place.

The way I look at is I'm only providing some more excitement and entertainment ..something to focus on for the board.

Without talking about Penner prognosis we'd be reduced to talking Pokerstars by now.

We'll not me, but the board maybe..

Old
11-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Penner has only made it interesting. We need something to keep us on the edge of our seats with the team mired in 12th place.

The way I look at is I'm only providing some more excitement and entertainment ..something to focus on for the board.

Without talking about Penner prognosis we'd be reduced to talking Pokerstars by now.

We'll not me, but the board maybe..
You seem content crapping on one of the biggest positives this season in an injury and flu riddled first 20 games.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You seem content crapping on one of the biggest positives this season in an injury and flu riddled first 20 games.
Read my post #43 and see if it looks like I'm crapping on Penner.

Is that not enough credit?

Old
11-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Read my post #43 and see if it looks like I'm crapping on Penner.

Is that not enough credit?
No. Say that he's better than Raffi.

SAY IT!!!!!!

Old
11-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:

SAY IT!!!!!!

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

SAY IT!!!!!!
Fred Penner is WAY better than Raffi..

I mean look at this clown..

U deserved that when you're not specific enough.