HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke MacArthur will not be suspended

Old
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Clarke MacArthur will not be suspended

per Bob McKenzie

Quote:
No supplementary discipline for Buffalo's Clarke MacArthur for hit on Liam Reddox.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:01 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Good to hear

I have always thought that suspensions should be based on intent not what the outcome is.

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Good. It was a stupid play but it wasnt dirty. You have a responsibility to not put yourself in harms way and Reddux didnt. Im not saying he deserved it or anything, no player does but I dont think it was a suspension worthy hit.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
vcv
Deal with it

I'm ok with no suspension only because other similar plays haven't been suspended.

If they decide to start suspending consistently for the same plays, then fine. But if THE CANNON Mike Richards can get off scott-free, I won't complain if Mac does too.

Old
11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

I agree with this one, but I wouldn't have thrown a big hissy fit if he sat a game.

While I don't think the on-ice decision would always be perfect, I think it would be possible to supplement on-ice decisions with post-game reviews for hits to the head. Give them some leeway to judge things like "intent to injure" and "vulnerable position", establish some relatively specific guidelines (and include specific plays from the past when doing so) and then put in a rule that you're not allowed to take headshots on guys in vulnerable positions.

You'd need to make it clear that players have an obligation to keep their heads up and use good hockey sense, and you can't go suspending for every hit resulting in an injury. Blind-siding guys with a shoulder to the head shouldn't be allowed. But skating through the neutral zone staring at your skates shouldn't give you a free pass either.

Plays like this, I put about 70% of the blame on Reddox, and 30% on MacArthur. No suspension necessary, but a game wouldn't be a travesty. The Richards hit on Booth, or Neil hit on Drury? 5 games, easy. Once you've made a legitimate pass (and not just smacked at the puck), you should no longer "count" as the puck carrier, even if no one else has received it yet.

Last edited by jlr: 11-12-2009 at 06:26 PM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

I'm AOK with this decision, but I think that's because I'm having a hard time separating the remorse that Clarke felt over the incident with the incident itself.

Regardless, the incident is a sticky one and consistency on behalf of the league would help situations like this a lot.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Moskau

I initially sided with the crowd that thought MacArthur was at fault for the hit but after watching the video several times I can't help but wonder what the hell Reddox was thinking.

MacArthur was watching the puck and Reddox. Clarke was getting ready to lobby for position on the boards when Reddox cut sharply across MacArthur and fell. Reddox fell because of the angle at which he tried to skate, essentially going into the boards vertically and then cutting horizontally at the last second. When you are skating at game speed there is absolutely nothing MacArthur could do there. He put his arm on Reddoxs back because 999 times out of 1000 Reddox would have trapped the puck along the boards and the two players would fight for it. He wasn't expecting Reddox to just bail out at the last second and was trying to protect himself from going face first into the boards.

That play happens over a hundred times in a hockey game, two players go to the boards and fight over the puck. Reddox just decided at the last possible second he was going to cut up the ice like Wayne frickin Gretzky and try and make something offensively happen. Only he got his face smashed and will never try to turn on a dime when you only have a three-cent's piece worth of room again.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Afino
The Juice

Good. But as jlr said, I wouldn't have been that upset had he gotten a game.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Yeah because Reddox didn't leave on a stretcher.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Afino
The Juice

We all know damn well the "wheel of justice" just landed on "no suspension" this time.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Yeah because Reddox didn't leave on a stretcher.
Here, have a new avatar:

and then GTFO.

Old
11-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
MacArthur gave Reddux a hard shot from behind to propel him into the boards. He should have been suspended. Watch the replay from the 57 second mark.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:37 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
MacArthur gave Reddux a hard shot from behind to propel him into the boards.
I really think it's a stretch to call that a hard shot. MacArthur was himself caught off balance by Reddox's decision to cut in like that at the last second.

MacArthur was bracing himself for a shoulder-to-shoulder hit, getting ready to fight for position on the boards. Reddox comes flying in, and at the last second throws his upper body forward and cuts in front of MacArthur, putting himself off balance, then MacArthurs momentum and "bracing" motion catch Reddox in the back, and he winds up face first into the boards.

If you watch at the :57 mark like you say, you can actually see Reddox make a little jump off with his right foot, and land on his left foot just in front of MacArthur.

Honestly, after watching that, I'd say 90% blame on Reddox, only 10% on Mac. You just don't do that 5' out from the boards with a guy bearing down on you. That was a text book example of putting yourself in a vulnerable position, being off-balance the way he was, and not able to get his arms up to protect his head.

Old
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
The disciplinary committee actually made the correct decision? Amazing.

Kudos to Reddox, btw, for coming out after the game on the Edmonton post game show and saying pretty much the same things I was saying after the game "I have to be more responsible and not put myself into that kind of position, etc."

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The disciplinary committee actually made the correct decision? Amazing.

Kudos to Reddox, btw, for coming out after the game on the Edmonton post game show and saying pretty much the same things I was saying after the game "I have to be more responsible and not put myself into that kind of position, etc."
I'm glad he said that. Players need to get their heads out of their ***** before one of them gets crippled.

I'm amazed at how often players put themsleves in vulnerable positions like that.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Meh. I thought he deserved a game or two.

11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Absolutely speaking, yes, probably.

Relatively speaking, no.

Old
11-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Absolutely speaking, yes, probably.

Relatively speaking, no.

True. With the NHL, the only thing for sure is the wild inconsistency of their disciplinary policies.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:21 PM
joshjull

Quote:
But why though?

It pretty much on Reddox that he ended up in the boards like that. At some point players need to be accountable for stupidity. He knows that and said as much to the press.

Our coaches always told us to engage the player and/or protect yourself in a situation like that. We knew enough not to put our faith in the laws of physics failing.

Reddox is lucky the guy he cut in front of like that was Mac and not a player thats a vicious hitter or dirty player. The results could have been much worse.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Moskau

Quote:
MacArthur gave Reddux a hard shot from behind to propel him into the boards. He should have been suspended. Watch the replay from the 57 second mark.
I wouldn't call that a hard shot at all. That's no different than when players put their hands into the backs of players when they kick at pucks along the boards to win battles. The only difference is Reddox was falling, mind you he was going to fall regardless if MacArthur touched him or not because he turned so awkwardly.

Watch the replay. At 56 seconds Reddox is balanced and MacArthur is coming in to battle for the puck. At 58 seconds Reddox is awkwardly falling to 1 knee and facing himself towards the boards without MacArthur having touched him. At 59 seconds MacArthur has his hand on Reddox's back with momentum going into the boards. Reddox was falling regardless of MacArthur touching him or not here. Clarke was trying to do what every player is told to do in that position and push his man against the boards. Its not his fault that within 1 second Reddox went from standing up to falling down on his own. It is not his fault that Reddox himself bailed out on the play. No person in the world can react in 1 second while skating and looking at something else like Clarke was.

If Reddox was 2 feet from the boards that would have been a perfect hip check though.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Luceni

I'm a bit surprised that he didn't get a game suspension.

I've thought that they just would sit him a game, just to send out a message to the entire NHL. But I'm glad to see that they've made the right decision in that case.

I hope CMAC will think before he acts, the next time......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:12 AM
goooal

Quote:

I almost always respect your posts as I think you speak some of the best hockey sense on the entirety of this site, but I have to disagree here. Reddox put himself into a vulnerable position trying to make the play and he payed the price for it.

If we were talking about a consistently dirty player this situation would be different, but were talking about the General, the guys hardly a physical presence at all and has no history of questionable hits. Viewing all the information at hand I think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to Mac and accept that Reddox just put himself in a bad position.

Do you disagree that Reddox put himself in a poor position?

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Moskau

Just post this clip here.

Old
11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
But why though?

It pretty much on Reddox that he ended up in the boards like that. At some point players need to be accountable for stupidity. He knows that and said as much to the press.

Our coaches always told us to engage the player and/or protect yourself in a situation like that. We knew enough not to put our faith in the laws of physics failing.

Reddox is lucky the guy he cut in front of like that was Mac and not a player thats a vicious hitter or dirty player. The results could have been much worse.
Making contact when looking at the other guys numbers was something we were taught never to do. *shrug* It's part of preventing this sort of situation, as much as someone protecting themselves.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:18 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Making contact when looking at the other guys numbers was something we were taught never to do. *shrug* It's part of preventing this sort of situation, as much as someone protecting themselves.
The way Reddox cut in front of him, I think he was expecting to be shoulder-to-shoulder and started to lean his shoulder in for the drive. Then he quickly realized Reddox was headed for the boards and tried to let up and did a bit.