HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toskala is starting Friday night.

Old
11-13-2009, 04:31 AM
HockeyAustralia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerThomas View Post
THIS! Lol

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Gusty is exhausted as is, and he can't play back to back games.

So we'd rather go for the win on Sat Night that tonight.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
dougy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
Toskala is getting a shutout. Book it.
I guess that means the leafs will be the first team in NHL history to not give up a shot against, during the course of a game....

dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

I love the fact that the Leafs seem to not let outside pressure dictate what they do. I'd call that management toughness and its refreshing to see. And smart too I think.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkukuboi View Post
If you guys looked at his stats when he was actually 1st round draft worthy, he split his games almost down the middle with Nabby.

He had competition to fight for the #1 spot. That season nabby and toskala did extremely well.

Right now Gustavasson is on the throne and Toskala will fight for that seat. I think he'll do well if he plays 40 games and the other 40 to Gusty.
While that might work well for Tosk, I doubt the same could be said for Gustavsson. The tandem can both work for, and against a team depending on the people involved.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Tinalera

I think Tosk gets the win tonight. He might get fired up seeing Gust as serious competition, and up the ante. Not predicting it, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a stand on your head performance and only let in one or two goals against a talented Chicago team. I do wonder what his mindset is, though(all joking and cynicism aside); long term, is he thinking he can still play well enough to get an extention, or in his mind is he playing for UFA value?

I'm not worried about Gust's view. I think short of winning the Stanley Cup, Tosk is gone this year(and then maybe not even then), either via trade, Waive, or simply let into free agency. Gusty(from what little I've seen and heard in interviews)doesn't look too far ahead, just until the next game. IMO he's worried more about doing his own job and continuing to adapt to the NA game and get better.

EDIT: If Toskala loses tonight, I think he'll have lost any scrap of hope he had with management.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
mooseOAK*

I think that all we can do is hope that Toskala actually wants to be part of the team and will work as hard as Gustavsson does but we have been waiting for that for a long time.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

As many have mentioned:

1. You don't want to play Toskala in a comeback game in Toronto.
2. Gustavsson isn't going to play out the string.

Toskala has to prove he is the same goaltender he was in San Jose, and like the goalie who got hot for a few games last year before the shut him down.

It is possible Toskala is finished, although some keepers play well into their 30's not all do.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I was ok when I first heard the decision, but the more I look at the schedule, especially the past week, the more I think it would have been very easy for Gusto to play both games - and against 2 good and hot teams like the hawks and flames right, this decision might really hurt.

Personally, I'd play Gusto in both of these ones.

That said, Toskala has to be due for a good game, doesn't he?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
darrylsittler27

This is exactly why we won't make the playoffs.

This represents an automatic loss and everyone knows it.I do not think stubbornly playing bad players over and over,hoping somehow they will play well is smart at all.Gusty has had plenty of rest and the Leafs are gaining no ground on playoff teams.I live in Vancouver half the time and watched Burke in Vancouver.He has a fault.He will stubbornly stand by inadequate talent believing it will prove a point i.e Cloutier.He also likes to state things publicly that will never happen.For example I am not going to Toronto or Tavares etc.Playing Mayers or putting Mitchell at number one center or playing Toskola are all bad decisions for which the the Leaf fans must pay.Anyone can see that the Leaf forwards(most) are woeful and inadequate.They could all be replaced by cheaper young talent.

By the way if Burke becomes GM of Boston after he leaves TO. do you think they NHL would look into that?I am starting to think there may be a motive for these terrible NHL decisions that any 9 year old would see are loss inducing.Don't forget Burke adamantly denied he was coming here.Is it possible he wants Boston to get as high a draft pick as possible without Leaf fans seeing what is happening?Wilson says he wants two goalies that can win.Does he think we are stupid?Joey Macdonald played well but not great.Toskola has played garbage and is the worst goalie in the NHL.There is a good chance after this weekend the Leafs will be out of the playoffs for good.I wonder what total b.s propaganda we will have to hear next.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 11-13-2009 at 01:56 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
This represents an automatic loss and everyone knows it.I do not think stubbornly playing bad players over and over,hoping somehow they will play well is smart at all.Gusty has had plenty of rest and the Leafs are gaining no ground on playoff teams.I live in Vancouver half the time and watched Burke in Vancouver.He has a fault.He will stubbornly stand by inadequate talent believing it will prove a point i.e Cloutier.He also likes to state things publicly that will never happen.For example I am not going to Toronto or Tavares etc.Playing Mayers or putting Mitchell at number one center or playing Toskola are all bad decisions for which the the Leaf fans must pay.Anyone can see that the Leaf forwards(most) are woeful and inadequate.They could all be replaced by cheaper young talent.

By the way if Burke becomes GM of Boston after he leaves TO. do you think they NHL would look into that?I am starting to think there may be a motive for these terrible NHL decisions that any 9 year old would see are loss inducing.Don't forget Burke adamantly denied he was coming here.Is it possible he wants Boston to get as high a draft pick as possible without Leaf fans seeing what is happening?Wilson says he wants two goalies that can win.Does he think we are stupid?Joey Macdonald played well but not great.Toskola has played garbage and is the worst goalie in the NHL.There is a good chance after this weekend the Leafs will be out of the playoffs for good.I wonder what total b.s propaganda we will have to hear next.
Woah, pass the tin foil.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

You sure didn't sugar coat that response towards your feelings of Toskala and anything related to him starting.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Atareez

Quote:

By the CBA Kessel as a RFA is worth more then what Burke got him for where other teams were interested in the same Kessel.

Burke wanted a bigger more physical team so traded Kubina to get komisarek.

and got the Monster because his experience has told him to not be caught without a goalie.

wheres the conspiracy?

Atareez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:54 PM
northernbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I wonder if Toskala will make it out of the 1st period..
If he doesn't it won't be completely his fault

northernbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
hockeyfanz*

No Chance against Hawks

I dont care if Terry Sawchuck returns from the dead and plays goal tonight. Toskala, Monster, whoever...the Leafs are not going into Chicago and taking away two points unless the Hawks stink out the joint. Stop harping on how bad Toskala is because this just reeks of ignorance. He was a solid NHL backstop until the Leafs ruined him and if not careful Mr Monster will suffer the same fate. When a goalie has zero defensive support it shatters his confidence.... I like Monster as much as the next guy but the Leafs have played Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in front of him than in front of Toskala. And when they haven't (ie Minny) the result was the same.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:17 PM
TuckerThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I dont care if Terry Sawchuck returns from the dead and plays goal tonight. Toskala, Monster, whoever...the Leafs are not going into Chicago and taking away two points unless the Hawks stink out the joint. Stop harping on how bad Toskala is because this just reeks of ignorance. He was a solid NHL backstop until the Leafs ruined him and if not careful Mr Monster will suffer the same fate. When a goalie has zero defensive support it shatters his confidence.... I like Monster as much as the next guy but the Leafs have played Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in front of him than in front of Toskala. And when they haven't (ie Minny) the result was the same.
Your post almost proves the players have about as much confidence in Toskala as most of us. Tell them (players) that he's a solid NHL backstop cause they are the ones that need to believe in him not us.
I'm sure they are mentally prepared for a softie or two or three and when it happens they will play on and not fold due to frustration like they have in the past.

TuckerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
how the hell did the leafs ruin him? this is the 3rd season that he's lost his starting position. when he is healthy, playing his best, getting lucky, and having his team play their best D he's only average.

answer me this: did the leafs ruin Jeff O'Neil when he was here?

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
SenorDingDong

This summed up my reaction when I heard toskala was starting.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:47 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnew View Post
how the hell did the leafs ruin him? this is the 3rd season that he's lost his starting position. when he is healthy, playing his best, getting lucky, and having his team play their best D he's only average.

Take a look at Toskala and his stats before coming here. Then look at how he's played the past two years. He came here as an average to below average starting caliber goalie. Now he's playing extremely weak. It definately happened under the Leafs, not sure it was the Leafs fault though.

As for O'Neill, he just lost interest. He had a poor final year in Carolina and continued it on to the Leafs. Not really a comparable player. Raycroft was closer to O'Neill than Toskala. A good comparison to Toskala might Dmitri Khristich, who basically lost his career in Toronto.

Last edited by EazyB97: 11-13-2009 at 06:54 PM.
EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:34 AM
hockeyfanz*

How to Ruin a Starting Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnew View Post

Put a horrible team in front of him with very little defensive support. Have your coach go countless times in the media and call him out. Have your hometown fans booo you on many nights where you are not the problem. See Carey Price, a once highly touted goalie being run out of Montreal. Then have the media crucify you at every given moment. Tosk played well in Chicago but once again the Leafs cant score (except the one star player they have).

Thats how you ruin a goalie. Toronto Maple Leaf style. Jeff O'Neil had personal issues that he never fully recoverd from (unfair comparison).

Old
11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
hockeyfanz*

How to Ruin a Starting Goalie Part 2

GP W L T SO GA EG SA PCT GAA MIN
2007-08 Toronto NHL 66 33 25 6 3 175 - 1824 .904 2.74 3837 - - -
2006-07 San Jose NHL 38 26 10 1 4 84 - 915 .908 2.35 2142 - - -
2005-06 San Jose NHL 37 23 7 4 2 87 - 878 .901 2.56 2039

Look at those horrible numbers of "mediocre" goalie. First year as a Leaf, very respectable numbers. San Jose (a real team) numbers are outstanding.

Last seasons numbers
2008-09 Toronto NHL 53 22 17 11 1 166 - 1518 .891 3.26 3056

Came out at the end of season he was injured most of the year. Team playing infront of him was (is) CRAP! Still managed 22 wins and a respectable 3.26 GAA. Yeah he is awful. Please people, I guarantee Toskala will go elsewhere and make Toronto look stupid once again. This season injured again and played the bulk of games when the Leafs were absolutely horrific. Right now they have escalated their game to just bad. Stop killing the goalie. He is not the problem. Toskala and Gustavson have a chance to be one of the best tandems in hockey if the Leafs ever get a professional NHL franchise.

Old
11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Polk High

Quote:
Put a horrible team in front of him with very little defensive support. Have your coach go countless times in the media and call him out. Have your hometown fans booo you on many nights where you are not the problem. See Carey Price, a once highly touted goalie being run out of Montreal. Then have the media crucify you at every given moment. Tosk played well in Chicago but once again the Leafs cant score (except the one star player they have).

Thats how you ruin a goalie. Toronto Maple Leaf style. Jeff O'Neil had personal issues that he never fully recoverd from (unfair comparison).
That my friends, is how you ruin any player.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Henderson19

Can we blame the defense yet?

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atareez View Post
By the CBA Kessel as a RFA is worth more then what Burke got him for where other teams were interested in the same Kessel.
Nope.

No team was willing to offer Boston any package worth more than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in next year's draft, for fear that Kessel would sign an offer sheet with Toronto...and that's all they'd get in return.

The 2011 first was PURE overpayment. Burke got played. Furthermore, if the optics were unappealing to Burke (i.e. charges of hypocrisy after the Penner situation), he should have taken salary in return. Kobesew was a salary dump shortly after.

Dealing the 2011 first was unnecessary. This fiction the Burke got the best deal for Toronto needs to be put to rest.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:24 AM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post
Nope.

No team was willing to offer Boston any package worth more than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in next year's draft, for fear that Kessel would sign an offer sheet with Toronto...and that's all they'd get in return.

The 2011 first was PURE overpayment. Burke got played. Furthermore, if the optics were unappealing to Burke (i.e. charges of hypocrisy after the Penner situation), he should have taken salary in return. Kobesew was a salary dump shortly after.

Dealing the 2011 first was unnecessary. This fiction the Burke got the best deal for Toronto needs to be put to rest.
Prove it. If you are going to make such definitive statements telling people how to evaluate a trade, prove it was an overpayment.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote