HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toskala is starting Friday night.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Henderson19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10 View Post
Prove it. If you are going to make such definitive statements telling people how to evaluate a trade, prove it was an overpayment.
Define 'proof' that you would find acceptable.

I've laid out my case. No GM would have offered anything more than the compensation package available, if Kessel signed with the Leafs. Too much risk.

Burke overpaid. That missing 1st in 2011? We'll need it.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
spitfires07

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post

I've laid out my case. No GM would have offered anything more than the compensation package available, if Kessel signed with the Leafs. Too much risk.

Ill prove to you that the kessel trade was the best possible deal for burke, lets use the pronger deal as an example:

consider that both kessel and pronger are franchise players (in different respects obviously),

in order to acquire pronger (who is in the later stages of his career) and ryan dingle (who?) - philly had to trade luca sbisa (former first round 19th overall pick), joffrey lupul (former first round 7th overall pick) and their 09/10 first round pick - so basically 2 good prospects and a first round pick or 3 first round picks if your willing to look at it that way

now back to the kessel deal...

in order to acquire kessel (who is still young and on the verge of becoming an NHL superstar) the leafs had to give up their first rounders in 2010 and 2011 and a second rounder in 2011. This is pretty much the same thing as the pronger deal. As long as the leafs don't tank this season and give boston a chance at the lottery, the kessel deal will be seen as a pretty fair trade

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Take a look at Toskala and his stats before coming here. Then look at how he's played the past two years. He came here as an average to below average starting caliber goalie. Now he's playing extremely weak. It definately happened under the Leafs, not sure it was the Leafs fault though.
yes. you're just repeating what i already said: HE'S AVERAGE AT BEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Put a horrible team in front of him with very little defensive support. Have your coach go countless times in the media and call him out. Have your hometown fans booo you on many nights where you are not the problem. See Carey Price, a once highly touted goalie being run out of Montreal. Then have the media crucify you at every given moment. Tosk played well in Chicago but once again the Leafs cant score (except the one star player they have).

Thats how you ruin a goalie. Toronto Maple Leaf style. Jeff O'Neil had personal issues that he never fully recoverd from (unfair comparison).
The booing didn't start for Toskala until recent. the fans in toronto have been very nice to this hack of a goalie, but if you let in soft goals at every opportunity you're going to get booed no matter where you play.

Jeff O'Neil is the 1st player ever in the history of the NHL to have personal issues. therefore he gets a pass for mediocre play.

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:09 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnew View Post
yes. you're just repeating what i already said: HE'S AVERAGE AT BEST!

The booing didn't start for Toskala until recent. the fans in toronto have been very nice to this hack of a goalie, but if you let in soft goals at every opportunity you're going to get booed no matter where you play.

Jeff O'Neil is the 1st player ever in the history of the NHL to have personal issues. therefore he gets a pass for mediocre play.
You asked how the Leafs ruined him. He was average "at best" before, now he's playing significantly worse. This happened during his time with the Leafs. I didn't see you mention that this happened during his time with the Leafs and the struggles we see now are nothing like he's ever had in his career.

As for the rest, Toskala was boo'ed before he even played a regular season game with the Leafs. Not just this year, that was in his first year with the Leafs. Then last year he was boo'ed regularly, then again this season. So the fans haven't really been nice to them, nor did the booing just start recently.

I'm not sure who said O'Neill gets a pass for his personal issues. It's the reason he lost his career and something he should have overcome, but he didn't. It was a bad comparison on your part, not really similar people or players at all. Only similarity is that they weren't good Leafs in the end.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

There was no ruining.

In his last two years with SJ, Toskala posted a .905sv%.

In his first season with TOR, Toskala posted a .904sv%.

In his second season with TOR, he was injured, and had his worst season.

This year, if he stays healthy, expect him to once again finish in his usual .905sv% range.

He is what he is - when healthy, he's a good backup goalie.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:53 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post

No, Burke got an absolute steal here.

You theorize that no other GMS would have offered more than the compensation, but:

a) that's just your own theory, with zero support other than your desire to want to believe it to be true.
b) anyone who wouldn't be willing to give up that same package as Burke did is just not a good GM.

This was a steal of a deal for the Leafs.

A star young 21 year old talent, with elite production without elite minutes, who had shown the heart and determination to come back strong from cancer, and raise his game in the playoffs, for a couple of random draft picks.

An absolute steal.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
You asked how the Leafs ruined him. He was average "at best" before, now he's playing significantly worse. This happened during his time with the Leafs. I didn't see you mention that this happened during his time with the Leafs and the struggles we see now are nothing like he's ever had in his career.

As for the rest, Toskala was boo'ed before he even played a regular season game with the Leafs. Not just this year, that was in his first year with the Leafs. Then last year he was boo'ed regularly, then again this season. So the fans haven't really been nice to them, nor did the booing just start recently.

I'm not sure who said O'Neill gets a pass for his personal issues. It's the reason he lost his career and something he should have overcome, but he didn't. It was a bad comparison on your part, not really similar people or players at all. Only similarity is that they weren't good Leafs in the end.

the comparison is accountability. if you play poorly in professional sports then you get booed by disappointed fans. if you can't overcome personal set backs or booing then you have no business playing in any market. the weak goals toskala has been letting in is his own doing, and not the fair weather fans!

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote