HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patty-O likes playing in Edmonton - and gets trashed

Old
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Patty-O likes playing in Edmonton - and gets trashed

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...ivan/125/24270

discuss

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Ragss

Are we supposed to feel bad? Is he supposed to care what we think? The fans pay his salary, and he gets paid a whole hell of a lot, so I don't see how we would be out of line for ragging on him for shooting at like 4%. And, at the same time, I don't see how our displeasure would in any way affect him.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

"I'll be over at Charlie Sheen's, pretending I'm a person of significance when in reality I'll be wearing a name tag that says Hello, my name is...who invited him?"

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

He's ignored. LA = OVERRATED. End of story.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Let me summarize the article:

Boo hoo, Sully said something bad about LA. To compensate, I'm going to trash him personally and also the city in which he was TRADED to by the Kings. Then I'm going to feel better about myself.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
OilWong

ouch.

Sully must have meant something to the Kings if he needed to blog about it...

but then again, we are Oiler fans, and if anyone talks about our city...watch out...

OilWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
the best part was when the author tried to rip on Edmonton only having a 16,839 attendance when its SOLD OUT every darn game

Research buddy, itès your friend

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
The Smytty Clapper

"I mean, I can just imagine the all day hockey conversations you must have in Edmonton with bikini-clad Playboy centerfolds. "

This guy must be going to the wrong parties!

The Smytty Clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:41 PM
oiler-dude

That was some of the worst writing I've heard. That's like...Eric Francis bad!

Quote:
Now, you also say its nice to play to a sold out arena. Staples Center, which holds 18,118 fans, averaged 16,859 per game when you played here. Edmonton, where you currently play, averages 16,839 per game. Gee. I guess you weren’t really paying attention in math class.
Sully wasn't paying attention in math class?

16,859 / 18, 118 = 93% capacity.
16,839 / 16, 839 = 100% capacity. With a ~3,000 waiting list on Season Tickets.

Alright, then.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
surshot*

He did the interview to promote movember. Its not the first time he said something like this. The interview is like two weeks old already. Don't like the Edmonton bashing thou. Over reaction IMO.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the best part was when the author tried to rip on Edmonton only having a 16,839 attendance when its SOLD OUT every darn game

He also thinks he was born in the states when he was born in toronto when his dad was playing semi pro who is also a canadian. Berry is a huge DB.

Old
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

"Now, you also say its nice to play to a sold out arena. Staples Center, which holds 18,118 fans, averaged 16,859 per game when you played here. Edmonton, where you currently play, averages 16,839 per game. Gee. I guess you weren’t really paying attention in math class."

So much fail in such a small 'article'. What a loser. The kings have to pay reporters to follow them because no major media gives a crap about them.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:49 PM
deanmoriarty

That was complete ****, not even worth posting. (no disrespect to the OP, just a terrible blog from a terrible site)

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Soundwave

The writer is a little over zealous.

Even most folks in L.A. will admit it's a fair weather sports town. People show up for Lakers games half way through the 1st quarter. It's the second biggest metro area in the U.S. yet it doesn't have an NFL team.

I remember I would go to sports bars there and they'd have literally 100+ LCDs/plasmas all over the place, all showing football, basketball, baseball, etc. and then there was one small LCD tucked in the corner of the bar next to the washroom exit showing hockey

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:53 PM
GSC

What a cry baby.

It's obvious that he's jealous that LA isn't, never has been, and never will be, a hockey city like Edmonton. While Matthew Barry enjoys the sand, surf, and sun of SoCal, O'Sullivan and the rest of us will be in the heartland of hockey where the game truly belongs.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
A Rebuttal To Matthew Barry:

If you're going to take offense to a comment on the fact that the Los Angeles Kings have not historically been a hot topic in Los Angeles, use facts to fuel your rebuttal. Point out attendance figures and local media coverage, use your sources (I giggle quietly at the notion of a Hockeybuzz blogger having real sources) to show why you feel Patrick O'Sullivan was off base with his comment.

For some reason, you chose to point several of the worst, most ridiculous straw-mans at Patrick O'Sullivan in a thinly veiled attempt at character assassination. Instead of being a purveyor of wisdom or spreader of facts, you look like you belong blogging for Hockeybuzz (not a compliment).

If you're seriously suggesting that Patrick O'Sullivan was the reason the Los Angeles Kings were losing, or he was at significant fault for their many losses over the last couple of years: You're being disingenuous. One player under-performing at half a point per game on your middle two lines doesn't sink a team.

You point out that there's a good reason that young, good core players get dealt. Yeah, the same reasons that Jarret Stoll and Matt Greene got dealt to Los Angeles: The team who made the trade had a lot of young core players and traded some of the more expensive ones (or ones who were about to get raises well beyond their worth; thank Dean Lombardi for that one) for something they didn't have: a superior, more experienced veteran player.

I'm glad that Ryan Smyth, Jarret Stoll and Matt Greene have found some success this season in Los Angeles. I'm glad that after years of lottery picks, you finally have a somewhat solid group of players.

What I'm kind of curious about? How come Los Angeles, the second biggest market in the NHL, has averaged about 1,500 under maxium capacity at home on the season? How come the Kings could only sellout against the defending Stanley Cup Champions?

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The writer is a little over zealous.

Even most folks in L.A. will admit it's a fair weather sports town. People show up for Lakers games half way through the 1st quarter. It's the second biggest metro area in the U.S. yet it doesn't have an NFL team.

I remember I would go to sports bars there and they'd have literally 100+ LCDs/plasmas all over the place, all showing football, basketball, baseball, etc. and then there was one small LCD tucked in the corner of the bar next to the washroom exit showing hockey
And it was only put there in case you showed up

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deanmoriarty

Good post SK13, you really should e-mail that to this tool.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Seems like the people on the LA board are acting as "********" (hey, not my words) as Berry. Completely unprofessional behavior by the writer.

Last edited by Senor Catface: 11-12-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 08:59 PM
copperandblue897

Sour grapes or what? Lol. This guy sure has got a hate on. Wow. Making a totally narrow minded bunch of statements.

Patty O leaving was exactly why the Kings are doing so well this year....or wait, doesn't that Kopitar kid have like 30 points? And wait, does Ryan Smyth also have like 22 points or something? HMMM seems to me there is something wrong with his view.

copperandblue897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Sour grapes--that's all that is. Mr. Barry is obviously very insecure, and felt the need to lash out at a former player; it's plain obvious.

This guy and his 'rebuttle' is not worth giving any attention to what-so-ever.

KarmaPolice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
oilerfanatic

wow, looks like sully hit a nerve with that guy...i stopped reading at the point where he doesn't realize he just stated our arena capacity..really made a fool of himself there..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Seems like the people on the LA board are acting as "********" (hey, not my words) as Barry. Completely unprofessional behavior by the writer.
Another thing: Doesn't every player who comes to a Canadian team from a less interested American market make these comments at one point?

I'm certain Erik Cole made similar comments. As did Joffrey Lupul.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Another thing: Doesn't every player who comes to a Canadian team from a less interested American market make these comments at one point?

I'm certain Erik Cole made similar comments. As did Joffrey Lupul.
Well, for Erik's case, he was homesick. Missed his family who all live in Raleigh. But he said he would play back here if his family was all here. His family was more important than the game and I respect that.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 09:10 PM
surshot*

I love the comment section for the blog, Berry is getting lit up like the idiot that he is.