HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting Pucks

Old
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
winger17

vCash: 500
Shooting Pucks

How many pucks do players like Joe Sakic and Alex Ovechkin shoot every day?

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:01 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Heard an interview with Al MacInnis the other day. 500+ a day at the barn when he was growing up.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Heard an interview with Al MacInnis the other day. 500+ a day at the barn when he was growing up.
Yeh, but the top guys like Ovechkin, Semin, Heatley etc, are not shooting 500 everyday anymore. They do shoot some, but have to spend time focusing on their weaknesses as well.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 08:28 AM
EmptyNetter

IDK how many Ovechkin shoots but one thing I read is that he goes onto the ice in his shower shoes and shoots on net. I think it's so he has no traction and can't use his legs for extra power -- forces him to generate all his power from his upper body.

Silly Russians. . .

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
IDK how many Ovechkin shoots but one thing I read is that he goes onto the ice in his shower shoes and shoots on net. I think it's so he has no traction and can't use his legs for extra power -- forces him to generate all his power from his upper body.

Silly Russians. . .
It's more likely because he cant skate. hahaha

I still think he needs to learn to skate backwards. Yeah he can kind of glide backwards but can't build or maintain speed.

He dose have hands that any hockey player would kill for.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
noobman

If you have the time over the summer, I'd recommend shooting 500 pucks a week (100 per day, 5 days a week)

That number assumes that you will also take a reasonable amount of time to work on conditioning and other skills as well.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Ani simov mal

In the summer I did 250 shots on roller blades and 250 with sneakers on a day.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
I shot pucks off of an old Formica topped table top on the ground without the table legs of course ... at an old garage, I swear I have the shot I have now because of it. Puck after puck after puck.

I had 2 sticks I would use though at two different lengths .... one for when wearing roller blades to make something near the height of ice skates and one shorter stick to shoot while in sneakers as to equate the same fulcrum in the shot as wearing skates because you are shorter in sneakers obviously.

Not a big deal I suppose but I wanted to keep the same motion and fulcrum for the followthrough. We didn't have rinks with summer ice back then I should add so one would go 4 to 5 months off ice here.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Placebo Effect

I really wish I had space in my backyard to set up a shooting range. Stick and puck around here is always busy and there's no way I can just spend time in front of the net shooting. In summer I'll probably just have to strap on my inline skates and practice at my local lacrosse box.

What's better, practicing with roller hockey pucks or get one of those "practice ice" surfaces and real pucks. If it's not that hard re-adjusting to the weight of a regular puck then I figure roller hockey pucks are better even though they're more expensive.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:24 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
I really wish I had space in my backyard to set up a shooting range. Stick and puck around here is always busy and there's no way I can just spend time in front of the net shooting. In summer I'll probably just have to strap on my inline skates and practice at my local lacrosse box.

What's better, practicing with roller hockey pucks or get one of those "practice ice" surfaces and real pucks. If it's not that hard re-adjusting to the weight of a regular puck then I figure roller hockey pucks are better even though they're more expensive.
I would recommend the surface/real puck method as many materials could be used for the surface (you don't have to buy) like cardboard or whatever. The cost of buying 5 pucks or so would equate the cost of 1 roller puck, so you do the math

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post

Definitely practice with real pucks. As you practice you'll also build muscle appropriate to the work you're doing. I've read that Bobby Orr used to hollow out the center of hockey pucks and pour lead into them to practice with to make them heavier. Shooting a regulation puck (in games) became effortless.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Redden Hogalot*

100 shots a day will also improve your shot.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Definitely practice with real pucks. As you practice you'll also build muscle appropriate to the work you're doing. I've read that Bobby Orr used to hollow out the center of hockey pucks and pour lead into them to practice with to make them heavier. Shooting a regulation puck (in games) became effortless.
The red 10 oz pucks will help. I used one to get power and lift on my backhand. It worked well.

http://www.puckshop.com/weighted-hockey-puck.html

Last edited by adaminnj: 11-14-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add link to training pucks
adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:14 PM
jmichael7753

I shoot about 150 per day. I start with 50 with a stick that i have attahed a weight to, and another 100 with another stick, those 100 feel effortless.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
I shoot about 150 per day. I start with 50 with a stick that i have attahed a weight to, and another 100 with another stick, those 100 feel effortless.
I used to do that until I got older and started having wrist tendon problems. I actually had to wear a brace when playing for a year until it healed up enough to feel normal.

It hasn't bothered me since and when I do shoot pucks I limit myself to stopping when I start feeling like it is a chore to shoot good ones from fatigue.

I was overdoing it before and that is NOT recommended for anyone.

Shooting out a specific number for someone else does not really help that other person who may be overdoing it. They need to find their own point of when they should stop and what gives them the ultimate workout for improvement without injury.

I had to rehab mine with an elastic banded hand thingie I would do reps with it everyday to strengthen my wrists.

I would imagine exercises for strengthening your wrists for serious workouts shooting pucks would be recommended.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote