HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Brunnstrom available?

Old
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Can't generate much interest in a 4th liner.
Are U for real? So Kadri would not gain any interest either if he was on the market seeing as he did not even make the team.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

He'll get a small raise next year from his ELC, and last year he had a 21% shooting percentage. He is struggling this year, but only getting 11:00 of ice time.

Sophomore slump, just like Schenn?

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 11-13-2009 at 12:25 PM.
smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:30 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Are U for real? So Kadri would not gain any interest either if he was on the market seeing as he did not even make the team.
Am I for real? That's a bit of logic that defies any analysis that I can come up with. Look at his ice time since he showed up in the NHL and that is with two different coaches and his Golden Boy status before he showed up.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:17 PM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

Like the guy, if hes cheap, I'd definitley be interested in the guy. If for nothing else we could use him for depth.

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblepest View Post
Like the guy, if hes cheap, I'd definitley be interested in the guy. If for nothing else we could use him for depth.
$2 million cap hit for a depth guy doesn't seem to be workable with the Leafs.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

The only way Burke should consider it is if he can make space for him in the top 6. For a guy like Poni or Blake.

Poni for Fabian and a 3rd

Blake for Fabian

The Naz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
Fabian for Blake.

Done.

Fabian has lots of potential and I love his style.

I think he's about as good as hagman of stempniak, but a bit younger, so why not?
Dallas was one of the rumored teams that were interested in Blake before. So why not try an offer of Blake for Brunnstrom. I see nothing wrong with attempting this.

BlueForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Am I for real? That's a bit of logic that defies any analysis that I can come up with. Look at his ice time since he showed up in the NHL and that is with two different coaches and his Golden Boy status before he showed up.
Golden boy statues? Is it the hype that he had prior to signing for Dallas that make you think less of him? He never hyped him self up. Even do some hockey people compared him to Hossa and Alfredsson does not mean they expected him to be an elite forward like them. More to describing his style then anything.

He have 11:44 in average ice time this season scoring 1 goal adding 6 assist. Not bad at all I would say seeing as he struggle some what. Last season his ice time where the same and he managed 17 goals and 12 assists in 55 games. That is above .500 in point production as a rookie and he is almost keeping that production up this season, his sophomore season.

If a 6' 2" winger with good speed who can score goals is on the market at age 24 he will get some interest. And if a team like ours who really need more fire power can get him with out giving up prospects then I think Burke should make the deal.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:31 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
Dallas was one of the rumored teams that were interested in Blake before. So why not try an offer of Blake for Brunnstrom. I see nothing wrong with attempting this.
You're not alone, sadly for Leaf fans everywhere.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
Blake is a top 6 player and they really have no place there for him. Poni how ever could work their 3rd line as well as adding depth to their 2nd line. But what they really seem to need is help on D.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
KLM-Line

As an FA he might be interesting. Dishing out scarce assets? No way. As it stands our depth chart is filled with 2nd or 3rd liners. Adding another one of the same while we rather need top talent or better bottom 6 guys would be a silly move at best.

KLM-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
$2 million cap hit for a depth guy doesn't seem to be workable with the Leafs.
Leafs could make it work with his ELC and bonus structure, if they were interested. I'm not sure I'd want them to be interested, but I'm just sayin'.

Anything stopping him from playing with the Marlies, and the rookie crop (Bozak, Hanson, Stahlberg, Tlusty, Brunnstrom) for 40 games?

Old
11-13-2009, 01:46 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Golden boy statues? Is it the hype that he had prior to signing for Dallas that make you think less of him? He never hyped him self up. Even do some hockey people compared him to Hossa and Alfredsson does not mean they expected him to be an elite forward like them. More to describing his style then anything.

He have 11:44 in average ice time this season scoring 1 goal adding 6 assist. Not bad at all I would say seeing as he struggle some what. Last season his ice time where the same and he managed 17 goals and 12 assists in 55 games. That is above .500 in point production as a rookie and he is almost keeping that production up this season, his sophomore season.

If a 6' 2" winger with good speed who can score goals is on the market at age 24 he will get some interest. And if a team like ours who really need more fire power can get him with out giving up prospects then I think Burke should make the deal.
There was plenty of hype, the "best unsigned prospect" tag, the wining, the dining, the trips, the tours, the hockey world breathlessly awaiting his decision, John Ferguson getting crucified for not signing him. Not all Brunnstrom's fault I know but it was there.

Despite the stats that you mention the Stars prefer Steve Ott among others to him in the top 9 on a regular basis.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
TML DieHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Francois Beauchemin for Fabian Brunnstrom, both players look like they could use a change of scenery.
What I would have said.

Though, there is a gap in contract dollars which they may not fit Beauchemin in under their cap (???) and I think Dallas could throw in a draft pick.

TML DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Leafs could make it work with his ELC and bonus structure, if they were interested. I'm not sure I'd want them to be interested, but I'm just sayin'.

Anything stopping him from playing with the Marlies, and the rookie crop (Bozak, Hanson, Stahlberg, Tlusty, Brunnstrom) for 40 games?
I think he is waivers exempt this year.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I think he is waivers exempt this year.
So then, what would be willing to pay for a 24 year old, borderline NHL'er/AHL'er with some upside, scheduled to make <$1 000 000 (+bonuses if he reaches them), who is RFA and can be qualified for $1 000 000, who can develop in the minors for the rest of the season?

We gave up Steen and Cola for Stempniak, so I guess White and Tlusty? Just kidding, of course.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
darrylsittler27

Quality not quantity.

Burke doesn't need to take on other team's salary dumps.We do not need more run of the mill players.Brunstrom isn't struggling,he never was.The Leafs need to save cap space for when a real star comes along.We already have a boring array of forwards who either can't check,hit or score.As witnessed from the game against Minn.,this team will not be making the playoffs unless some big changes are made at forward.Picking up a washout serves no purpose.We offer them Blake?Why?

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:05 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
There was plenty of hype, the "best unsigned prospect" tag, the wining, the dining, the trips, the tours, the hockey world breathlessly awaiting his decision, John Ferguson getting crucified for not signing him. Not all Brunnstrom's fault I know but it was there.

Despite the stats that you mention the Stars prefer Steve Ott among others to him in the top 9 on a regular basis.
He was a free agent who received offers from several clubs. If they also invite him to have a closer look at where he will be living what should he do then? Say no thanks, I might up set some hockey fans if I visit the place I am about to sign for prior to the signing. If the clubs then want to show their best side and show some hospitality when he visit then that is just the way things work when you want something you will get for free. This was also a golden opportunity for the clubs to have a closer look at Brunnstrom to see what kind of character etc he had seeing as no one really knew anything about him at the time. I guess you are not to keen on Gustavsson either then who had a little pre-signing tour in North America as well, and he had plenty of hype before he signed with us.

The bold part: It is clear he is really getting on your nerves. I guess you where one of those who hopped he would be a bust in the NHL? Do you really think he held the hockey world waiting for his answer cause he thought he where so special? No he waited cause he was exploring his options since he did not have to sign the first best offer thrown his way.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Picking up a washout serves no purpose.We offer them Blake?Why?
I'd consider him a project prospect as opposed to a washout! (Yes, I know at 24 he may not be much of a prospect.)

Old
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
This was also a golden opportunity for the clubs to have a closer look at Brunnstrom to see what kind of character etc he had seeing as no one really knew anything about him at the time.
So you agree, he was a Golden Boy?

Old
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

if they give him away for free

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
He was a free agent who received offers from several clubs. If they also invite him to have a closer look at where he will be living what should he do then? Say no thanks, I might up set some hockey fans if I visit the place I am about to sign for prior to the signing. If the clubs then want to show their best side and show some hospitality when he visit then that is just the way things work when you want something you will get for free. This was also a golden opportunity for the clubs to have a closer look at Brunnstrom to see what kind of character etc he had seeing as no one really knew anything about him at the time. I guess you are not to keen on Gustavsson either then who had a little pre-signing tour in North America as well, and he had plenty of hype before he signed with us.

The bold part: It is clear he is really getting on your nerves. I guess you where one of those who hopped he would be a bust in the NHL? Do you really think he held the hockey world waiting for his answer cause he thought he where so special? No he waited cause he was exploring his options since he did not have to sign the first best offer thrown his way.
I haven't thought that much about Brunnstrom since. Since he is in the other conference him not being on the Leafs really had no affect on my team even if he is playing well.

Like I said the hype was there whether it was on him or not and really doesn't matter when seeing what he is like now and we can disregard it if you like. Same applies to Gustavsson, if he ends up being a backup then he won't have much value as a trade asset and it was a wasted effort by Burke to go to all that trouble to sign him.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
So you agree, he was a Golden Boy?
Nah.

There will always be players who get some hype for different reasons. But it seem as soon as some one gets it a certain type of fans will get frustrated with the players when they really should get frustrated at the media who does the hyping up. Had Brunnstrom said that he was the next big thing and would not come over unless he was treated as a royalty then yes, he would deserve some criticism if he fails to live up to the hype. But if a free agent decide so visit the teams who are interested in his service I cant see anything wrong with it. In Europe it is very common in both football and hockey that young players visit bigger clubs if they have the option to decide for them self who they want to sign for when they take the next step.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
I haven't thought that much about Brunnstrom since. Since he is in the other conference him not being on the Leafs really had no affect on my team even if he is playing well.

Like I said the hype was there whether it was on him or not and really doesn't matter when seeing what he is like now and we can disregard it if you like. Same applies to Gustavsson, if he ends up being a backup then he won't have much value as a trade asset and it was a wasted effort by Burke to go to all that trouble to sign him.
Trouble? Visiting Sweden in the middle of the summer to get a back up goalie for free? If he would think that was going through trouble then he would have the wrong job. And yes the hype was there. If you read the columnist trying to sell their column then yes, he was over hyped. But if you listened to the hockey people in the business they said he was an NHL ready prospect who could be had for free with 2nd line potential, with room for more. That was not hyping him. That was just stating the facts.

Old
11-13-2009, 02:47 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Kulemin > Brunnstrom

never understood how Brunnstrom got so hyped for being a solid 23 year old 2nd/3rd liner in the SEL.

At least with Gustavsson, we got ourselves a 23 year old who was an MVP-type player in the SEL, not a depth player.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote