HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Who would you let walk?

View Poll Results: Who would you not re-sign for next season?
Lee Stempniak 66 44.59%
Alexei Ponikarovsky 30 20.27%
Matt Stajan 78 52.70%
Nikolai Kulemin 4 2.70%
Wayne Primeau 108 72.97%
Jamal Mayers 128 86.49%
Jiri Tlusty 8 5.41%
Rickard Wallin 70 47.30%
John Mitchell 22 14.86%
Ian White 4 2.70%
Mike Van Ryn 114 77.03%
Garnet Exelby 93 62.84%
Vesa Toskala 131 88.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Emroc

vCash: 500
Who would you let walk?

We've got a lot of players on the roster approaching free agency. Which of the following players would you trade at TDD or just let walk come July 1st?

Emroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:16 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Wallin (for gusto's sake), maybe Primeau. That is all. The Americans ought to replace kulemin, stajan, and pony....so trade them for assets along with stempo, mayers.

Unless of course you could get rid of hagman or blake.....

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
The Puck

Trade ALL the pending UFAs, if there are any takers.

Stock up on picks and prospects.

Maybe bring back Poni or Stempniak in the summer, but if you can get a 2nd RD pick for them at the deadline, you gotta take it instead of risk losing them for nothing.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
I can not understand the hate towards XLB and Stajan.

XLB throws a highlight reel check every 3rd game, it's nice to have that. People fear us, momentum shifts our way.

I'm not saying play him a lot, maybe 8 minutes a game. But spend that 8 minutes just hunting down for a bone breaking body check

Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
New Liskeard

The only UFA I would like to see the Leafs re-sign is Pony. He reallys is more valuable to the team that what he is getting credit for. Depending on his contract demands of course. If Burke believes he can get a #1 centre as a UFA or trade, then I would look to Stajan to be traded. The notion of Bozak and or Kadri taking Stajans place and providing the same results is not by any means a sure thing. I would like to see;

Stajan in exchange for a 2nd
Stempniak for a 2nd
Mayers for a 5th?
Exelby for a 5th?
Toskala for a 3rd?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post

XLB throws a highlight reel check every 3rd game, it's nice to have that. People fear us, momentum shifts our way.

I'm not saying play him a lot, maybe 8 minutes a game. But spend that 8 minutes just hunting down for a bone breaking body check
Why would you have him play 8 minutes a game? He's not worth the investment if that's the case.

They need a number 6 guy who can play a regular shift.

As for the thread, I opted to move:

Lee Stempniak
- has played well, but can open up cap space
Matt Stajan - up and down season so far, how much will he want? is he worth investing in with Mitchell and Grabovski here? Also with Kadri and Bozak coming through the ranks?
Wayne Primeau - getting older, makes sense to move him at the deadline.
Jamal Mayers - same as Primeau.
Rickard Wallin- replaceable.
Mike Van Ryn- don't see a reason to re-sign him unless it's at league minimum.
Garnett Exelby- replaceable
Vesa Toskala- try to find a cheaper alternative

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

white, Tlusty, Kulemin and Mitchell should be the only one's retained. The others should be moved at the deadline to re coup some picks.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
stoney

Mayers and Primeau 100% have to go.

To be honest, anyone that Burke knows he isn't going to sign, trade for any pick you can.

I don't know who he will want to keep by then, but if he is unsure, get some value for them.

Stajan will likely be gone too, if only because Wilson has a continual hatred for him.

It would be nice if we could get a Glen Wesley situation with someone like Poni, but that is a pipe-dream. (Trade them at the deadline, then re-sign them in the off-season, doubling the value)

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Lee Stempniak
Matt Stajan
Wayne Primeau
Jamal Mayers
Rickard Wallin
Mike Van Ryn
Vesa Toskala

.... Can all go.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post

he's a depth defender, so as long as people don't expect more then there shouldn't be a problem.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
white, Tlusty, Kulemin and Mitchell should be the only one's retained. The others should be moved at the deadline to re coup some picks.
Yes, but I also listed Wallin and Exelby as maybes.

Kovalchuk, Frolov, Jokinen >>Poni

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:40 AM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Yes, but I also listed Wallin and Exelby as maybes.

Kovalchuk, Frolov, Jokinen >>Poni
Dreams >> Reality

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
That's the four I went with.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Paris in Flames

I completely screwed up and misread the poll. I accidentally voted for the people I WOULD keep, which was Poni, White, Tlusty, Kulemin. Ignore one of the votes for each of these people. Also voted for Wallin. Bring him back. Yes, I am willing to do anything to make Gustavsson happy.

Last edited by Paris in Flames: 11-13-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Brown Dog

Tlusty, Mitchell, Kulemin, White, and Monster (who is noticeably absent from the list) are all RFA, so theres really no reason not to bring them all back. None of them will break the bank and each of them has shown enough to at least be qualified, if not inked to multi-year deals.

Stempniak - Not opposed to bringing him back, but hell probably have to take a small pay cut. Seems like a guy who is auditioning for a spot on the team going forward. If hes not resigned by the trade deadline, definitely a guy to be moved if the Leafs are sellers.

Ponikarovsky - Keep. Theres something to be said for continuity and Poni has a lot to offer: hes big, versatile, and can put the puck in the net 20-25 times a year. No one ever seems satisfied with him, but I have a feeling those who feel hes easily replaced would be disappointed with the replacement.

Stajan - This is a make-or-break year for Matty. I have a feeling he wont be back next year with Kadri, Mitchell, Grabo, and Bozak all pushing him.

Primeau - Easily replaced. Sell at the deadline if you can.

Mayers - See Primeau

Wallin - Mixed reviews so far. Re-evaluate at mid-season, but so far not much indication that hes a must-have going forward. Needs to contribute at least some offense to offset his lack of physicality for the bottom lines.

Van Ryn - Bring him back as a reclamation project at something around the league minimum and make him earn a spot.

Exelby - Ship out. Id rather pay the 6th defenseman under $1 million and, if possible, promote from within. Gunnarson (or maybe Oreskovic?) should be ready to assume that job by the start of next year if not earlier.

Toskala - Goner. He had his chance and muffed it. Doubt he ever gets another shot as the unquestioned starter on his team in the NHL. Bring back Joey Mac or a similar calibre guy to back up the Monster.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
shaner89

Toskala, Exelby, Mayers, Primeau and Wallin

All **** and waist of roster spots and cap space.

shaner89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
bobermay

My Ideal Lineup:
Bold Resigned
Bold and Underlined UFA Signing/Aquired Through Trade
- Already Signed

Stalberg-Marleau-Kessel
Hagman-Kadri-Horton (Or Sign Rene Bourque, put Hagman on the RW)
Ott-Bozak-Hanson
Rosehill-Mitchell-Orr
Primeau, Deveaux

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemin-White
Gunnarsson-Schenn
Exelby

Gustavsson
MacDonald

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Can the Leafs extend Stempniak at a significant pay cut from $3.5 million per season without him going into free agency? If not, he's the major candidate to be traded at the trade deadline for whatever modest return.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Predaleafs

Wow where the hell is all the mitchell love coming from. He is borderline 3rd line on non-playoff teams and should be in the AHL how the hell he is on our first line. Really the only guys i want back would be:

Stempniak-Has had a good season and i feel he has been one of our best guys game in and out this season

Stajan- Great guy and good player. If we want a chance at the cup we need 3 good centers and rite now i feel he is our best

Kulemin-Why would we let him walk. He gets scratched fights his way in and proves to eb one of our better forecheckers. Works well for a future 3rd line.

Ponikarovski- If burke lets him walk Burke is stupid. He is our leading goal scorer and the rumors of him not being able to play without Antropov or gone. He will sign

Jiri Tlusty- He is 21 and still hasnt been given NHL time to make an impact he will be here for a long time

Garnet Exelby- Gives us some defensive depth and is a solid 3rd pairing guy

Ian White- He right now is along with Kaberle the heart and soul. Over and over has proven his worth to this club. Fights,good defensively,good offensivly. Great 2nd pairing guy and will be here along time.

Wayne Primeau- Gives us much added veteran depth and a great pk guy as well as scores when needed to. Just abit better then Mayers.

Lines next year

????-????-Kessel
Ponikarovski-Grabovski-Hagman
Stempniak-Stajan-Stalberg
Kulemin-Primeau-Orr

Kaberle-Komisarek
White-Schenn
Beachimin-Exelby/Finger

Gustavsson
??????

That is what we are most likely looking at

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue14 View Post
Wow where the hell is all the mitchell love coming from. He is borderline 3rd line on non-playoff teams and should be in the AHL how the hell he is on our first line. Really the only guys i want back would be:

Stempniak-Has had a good season and i feel he has been one of our best guys game in and out this season

Stajan- Great guy and good player. If we want a chance at the cup we need 3 good centers and rite now i feel he is our best

Kulemin-Why would we let him walk. He gets scratched fights his way in and proves to eb one of our better forecheckers. Works well for a future 3rd line.

Ponikarovski- If burke lets him walk Burke is stupid. He is our leading goal scorer and the rumors of him not being able to play without Antropov or gone. He will sign

Jiri Tlusty- He is 21 and still hasnt been given NHL time to make an impact he will be here for a long time

Garnet Exelby- Gives us some defensive depth and is a solid 3rd pairing guy

Ian White- He right now is along with Kaberle the heart and soul. Over and over has proven his worth to this club. Fights,good defensively,good offensivly. Great 2nd pairing guy and will be here along time.

Wayne Primeau- Gives us much added veteran depth and a great pk guy as well as scores when needed to. Just abit better then Mayers.

Lines next year

????-????-Kessel
Ponikarovski-Grabovski-Hagman
Stempniak-Stajan-Stalberg
Kulemin-Primeau-Orr

Kaberle-Komisarek
White-Schenn
Beachimin-Exelby/Finger

Gustavsson
??????

That is what we are most likely looking at
Seriously??? Not even close, IMO.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

I voted to give the boot to: Toskala, Primeau, Mayers, and VanRyn...we can find better, younger, cheaper replacements for them all

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emroc View Post
We've got a lot of players on the roster approaching free agency. Which of the following players would you trade at TDD or just let walk come July 1st?
depending on what could be gotten in return, i'd trade any or all of them, white being the one i'd most want to see stay. burke could really restock the shelf with late 2nd, early 3rd/4th round picks getting rid of most of these guys at the deadline.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy View Post
Tlusty, Mitchell, Kulemin, White, and Monster (who is noticeably absent from the list) are all RFA, so theres really no reason not to bring them all back. None of them will break the bank and each of them has shown enough to at least be qualified, if not inked to multi-year deals.

Stempniak - Not opposed to bringing him back, but hell probably have to take a small pay cut. Seems like a guy who is auditioning for a spot on the team going forward. If hes not resigned by the trade deadline, definitely a guy to be moved if the Leafs are sellers.

Ponikarovsky - Keep. Theres something to be said for continuity and Poni has a lot to offer: hes big, versatile, and can put the puck in the net 20-25 times a year. No one ever seems satisfied with him, but I have a feeling those who feel hes easily replaced would be disappointed with the replacement.

Stajan - This is a make-or-break year for Matty. I have a feeling he wont be back next year with Kadri, Mitchell, Grabo, and Bozak all pushing him.

Primeau - Easily replaced. Sell at the deadline if you can.

Mayers - See Primeau

Wallin - Mixed reviews so far. Re-evaluate at mid-season, but so far not much indication that hes a must-have going forward. Needs to contribute at least some offense to offset his lack of physicality for the bottom lines.

Van Ryn - Bring him back as a reclamation project at something around the league minimum and make him earn a spot.

Exelby - Ship out. Id rather pay the 6th defenseman under $1 million and, if possible, promote from within. Gunnarson (or maybe Oreskovic?) should be ready to assume that job by the start of next year if not earlier.

Toskala - Goner. He had his chance and muffed it. Doubt he ever gets another shot as the unquestioned starter on his team in the NHL. Bring back Joey Mac or a similar calibre guy to back up the Monster.
here's my take:

stemps- traded and/or not resigned

poni, stajan, mayers, primeau definately see them traded on or before deadline

wallin- not sure, could be back

van ryn- lie to see him back, but highly doubt he'll be able to return from that type of knee surgery, at least to play effectively

exelby- probably traded at deadline

toskala- traded if any takers, won't be back

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Predaleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Seriously??? Not even close, IMO.
If you believe that we are going to get Kovalchuk and Savard and Marleau and Ott and everyone you guys want u are seriously dreaming. Be realistic here

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Snipeshow

Why in the world would anybody vote White or Kulemin?

They'll be here long long term, barring a trade.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote