HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#19 | New York Islanders vs. Carolina Hurricanes | Nov 13 | 7:00p

Old
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
#19 | New York Islanders vs. Carolina Hurricanes | Nov 13 | 7:00p

***FRIDAY THE 13th EDITION***

Last edited by Law: 11-13-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Law

GAME PREVIEW

Last 10 -- New York 5-2-3; Carolina 0-8-2

Season series -- It's the second meeting of the season. The Islanders won the first with a 4-3 shootout victory at the Nassau Coliseum on Oct. 21. The Isles wasted a 3-1 lead in the third period, but won by scoring on all three of their shootout attempts against Cam Ward.

Big story -- The Hurricanes are trying not to make history. A loss to the Islanders would give them a 14-game losing streak (12 regulation losses), matching the longest victory drought in franchise history (they went 0-8-6 as the Hartford Whalers in 1992). The 'Canes are coming off a 5-2 home loss to Los Angeles on Wednesday and come into this game without their No. 1 center, Eric Staal, and their starting goaltender, Ward, both of whom are out with injuries.

"You never feel like you’re at the end of it," coach Paul Maurice said when asked if there's any coaching method he hasn't tried to shake his club out of its funk, which includes seven consecutive losses in regulation. "There are always more barrels to kick and more to do."

Team Scope:

Islanders -- Game 2 of their seven-game trip can't be any wilder than the first one, a 5-4 shootout loss at Washington that saw the Islanders give up a goal just eight seconds into the game, score three times and KO goaltender Jose Theodore before the first TV timeout, fall behind 4-3, tie the game on Trent Hunter's late power-play goal and, finally, lose an 11-round shootout, the longest in team history.

"That third period was huge for us, to be able to draw the penalties against a team that prides themselves on their third periods," coach Scott Gordon said. "It was good to see us come back."

Hurricanes -- With Ward gone for at least three weeks with a lacerated leg, the Hurricanes brought in Manny Legace to team with Michael Leighton. Legace got the start on Wednesday and stopped 26 of 30 shots in his first NHL appearance since January.

"A little quicker than I've been playing against the last month or so," Legace said, referring to his minor-league stint with the AHL Chicago Wolves before coming to Carolina. "I didn't make a big save in the third period to give our guys a chance to win. It's as simple as that."

Defenseman Tim Gleason absolved him for the loss.

"Manny came into kind of a big mess and I thought he played pretty well," Gleason said. "He's not the guy to point the finger at. It's the guys in front of him who again didn't do the job."

Who's hot -- Matt Moulson, a minor-league free agent who signed with the Isles this summer, continues to put up points. He has 8 goals and 14 points in 18 games, including goals in each of his last two games. … Tuomo Ruutu scored both of Carolina's goals in the loss to Los Angeles.

Injury report -- The Islanders are still without forwards Kyle Okposo (H1N1 virus) and Doug Weight (upper body). Forward Blake Comeau missed the game against Washington with an illness and may sit this one out as well. … Ward and Staal won't play for Carolina, while Scott Walker and Stephane Yelle didn’t practice Thursday after being injured against the Kings. Both are possible for this game.

Stat pack -- Carolina has led after the first period just four times in 17 games and has trailed entering the third period in 15 of its 17 games. … New York has lost three games in which it has led by two or more goals -- not counting the first meeting with the 'Canes, who overcame a 3-1 deficit to get a point.

Puck drop -- The Hurricanes are in a stretch of five-in-six at home, so they've got to get the ship righted immediately. Carolina is just 2-5-1 at the RBC Center, and as Gleason noted after the loss to the Kings, "If we don't get a win soon we're going to be in big trouble."

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresKyle Okposo
Jeff TambelliniJosh BaileyTrent Hunter
Sean BergenheimFrans NielsenRichard Park
Rob SchrempJon SimTim Jackman

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Mark StreitBruno Gervais
Freddy MeyerAndy Sutton
Jack HillenBrendan Witt

..............................G..............................
Martin Biron
Dwayne Roloson

INSIDE SHOTS:
The dreaded swine flu has stricken the Islanders yet again.

Captain Doug Weight missed three games earlier this season with the H1N1 virus, and second-year winger Kyle Okposo stayed back on Long Island at the start of a seven-game road trip -- which continues Friday in Carolina -- after he contracted the same illness.

Without Okposo, a first-line winger who is third on the team in scoring with 10 points, the Isles lost 5-4 in a shootout to open the trip Wednesday in Washington.

The Islanders have endured the most man-games lost to injury in each of the last three NHL seasons, and they are moving back toward the top this year with defenseman Radek Martinek out for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee. Weight also is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with an upper-body injury, the team announced Tuesday.

Okposo practiced with the Isles on Monday but was diagnosed with swine flu the next day. He has three goals and seven assists in 17 games, playing mostly alongside rookie center John Tavares on the team's first line.

Right wing Blake Comeau also was not feeling well and didn't play Wednesday, instead remaining at the team hotel. Coach Scott Gordon said if Comeau's condition didn't improve he also would be sent back to Long Island as a precaution, especially considering Okposo's recent diagnosis.

CAPITALS 5, ISLANDERS 4 (SO): The absence of Washington superstar Alex Ovechkin didn't prevent a shootout -- in more ways than one -- Wednesday night against the Isles, who tied the score on returning winger Trent Hunter's power-play goal with 2:08 remaining in regulation. But Jeff Tambellini was the lone Islander to score in 11 rounds of penalty shots, and the Caps earned the extra point in the tiebreaker when Chris Clark beat Isles goalie Dwayne Roloson in their 11th chance. The Isles, who opened a seven-game road swing, fell to 1-4-4 away from Nassau Coliseum this season.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• RW Trent Hunter returned to the lineup Wednesday in Washington for the first time since suffering a torn pectoral muscle on Oct. 8, the Isles' second game of the season.

"It's been tough, especially coming off the way I finished last year. I was looking forward to a great start, and unfortunately that didn't happen. Now I just have to regroup," Hunter told Newsday. "I'm just going to keep it simple, play within myself, and try to get back to my game."

• G Rick DiPietro, out since January because of multiple knee surgeries, practiced for a second straight day Tuesday for the first time during his rehab. DiPietro is slated to work out on the ice on consecutive days twice next week.

"He was good," coach Scott Gordon said. "I sat and watched him and he did multiple butterflies, more rapid recovery."

Quote To Note:

"That third period was huge for us, to be able to draw the penalties against a team that prides themselves on their third periods. It was good to see us come back."
—Head coach Scott Gordon, after the Isles tied the score late in regulation before falling 5-4 in a shootout Wednesday at Washington.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• RW Trent Hunter, making his first appearance since Oct. 8 because of a chest injury, scored the tying goal with barely two minutes remaining in regulation before the Isles lost 5-4 in a shootout Wednesday in Washington.

• D Mark Streit, the team's leading scorer last season with 56 points, added a goal and an assist. He has three points in the last two games after totaling just six in his first 16 appearances.

• C Rob Schremp was in the lineup after being a healthy scratch in the previous nine games and registered an assist, but he played just 8:38.

Medical Watch:

• G Rick DiPietro, who didn't play after Jan. 5 last season because of lingering effects from multiple surgeries on his right knee, has resumed skating but isn't expected back until late November.

• D Radek Martinek suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Nov. 6 against New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

• RW Kyle Okposo is suffering from the H1N1 swine flu and is out indefinitely.

• C Doug Weight suffered an undisclosed upper body injury Nov. 6 and is expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

LINEUPS / INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Ray WhitneyBrandon SutterErik Cole
Jussi JokinenMatt CullenTuomo Ruutu
Sergei SamsonovRod Brind'AmourChad LaRose
Tom KostopoulosStephane YelleTim Conboy

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Tim GleasonJoe Corvo
Joni PitkanenNiclas Wallin
Andrew AlbertsAaron Ward

..............................G..............................
Manny Legace
Michael Leighton

INSIDE SHOTS:

The Hurricanes acted quickly to secure goaltending help by adding veteran Manny Legace when they realized that Cam Ward might miss a month after a leg laceration that required a two-night hospital stay in Columbus, Ohio.

Legace should be in a stress-free situation considering the Hurricanes can go nowhere but up -- they hold the worst record in the NHL.

"He comes in without a lot of pressure," coach Paul Maurice said. "He has been around the league long enough that he shouldn't have the normal jitters of a guy coming into this situation."

Through two periods in his first game with the Hurricanes, Legace stopped 18 of 20 shots. But that percentage declined in the third period in an eventual 5-2 loss to Los Angeles.

Legace said the losses don't make sense for the Hurricanes, who have gone 13 games without winning.

"It's too good of a team to be struggling when you look at the team on paper," he said.

But even Legace couldn't reverse the woes. He dropped to 11-5-1 all-time against the Kings, one of his former teams.

The Hurricanes will stay at home for a game Friday night against the New York Islanders. Legace's role will be determined by performance, coach Paul Maurice said.

Maurice might have tipped his hand by going with Legace at the first opportunity instead of turning to goalie Michael Leighton, who has been Ward's backup.

KINGS 5, HURRICANES 2: The Hurricanes went 18 minutes without a shot on goal, which sums up their struggles on the offensive end. Yet they were tied six minutes into the third period after RW Tuomo Ruutu's second goal of the game. By the end, former Hurricanes winger Justin Williams added an empty-net goal to complete a two-point night for the Kings against G Manny Legace, who made his Carolina debut.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• The Hurricanes played Wednesday night vs. Los Angeles without G Cam Ward and C Eric Staal. It marked the first time since March 19, 2004 that both of those players were out of the lineup at the same time. That's a span of 352 games.

• C Rod Brind'Amour's fifth assist of the season gives him 294 assists with the organization, tying for second on the franchise's all-time list with Kevin Dineen. Brind'Amour also won 10 of 13 faceoffs in the game even though he ended up minus-1 in plus/minus.

Quote To Note:

"Can't do much worse from what we're doing."
—D Tim Gleason on the Hurricanes, who've lost 13 consecutive games. The team is one loss away from matching the franchise's longest such stretch, from Jan. 4, 1992 to Feb. 9, 1992. The team was the Hartford Whalers back then.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• C Zach Boychuk was sent back to the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League one day after registering his first point in his second game of the season with the Hurricanes. It came on an assist at Columbus in his fourth career NHL game.

• LW Ray Whitney was back in the lineup Wednesday vs. Los Angeles after missing two games with an upper-body injury. But he didn't have much of an impact, failing to register a shot in nearly 15 minutes of ice time.

• D Rodney Bryan was called up as a fill-in for ill D Joni Pitkanen on Wednesday night vs. Los Angeles, then was pressed into extensive duty in his first NHL game of the season and the ninth of his career. He logged more than 21 minutes. It also showed the Hurricanes weren't comfortable with putting RW Tim Conboy, a converted defenseman, into the lineup as a blue-line player.

Medical Watch:

• D Joni Pitkanen (illness) missed the Nov. 11 game against Los Angeles. He's considered day-to-day.

• G Cam Ward (leg cut) left the Nov. 7 game at Columbus when he was cut in the first period by one of the skates of Columbus' Rick Nash. He spent two nights in a Columbus hospital before returning home, and he lost a considerable amount of blood. He's expected to miss about a month of action, though that could be adjusted to a longer period once a recovery plan is put in place. He is on injured reserve.

• D Eric Staal (upper body) sustained the injury Nov. 1 against the San Jose Sharks. He's considered out week-to-week and has missed four games.

• LW Michael Ryan (concussion) was injured in the Sept. 21 preseason game at Atlanta. He's on injured reserve and will be a likely candidate for a minor-league assignment when he's ready to return.

Last edited by Law: 11-13-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old
11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Islanderfan72

I already know what is gana happen. The cans have lost 13 in a row so who better to break that against. I have a bad feeling about this. You can't lose every game. Prove me wrong Islanders.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:23 AM
isleskovalchuk

Typical Islanders would allow the canes to snap the streak tonight against them. Lets see if this team is actually growing or its the same old isles....

GET THE W! LETS GO ISLES!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:26 AM
blackmesa

Wow, didnt even realize that other stuff. My money is on the building exploding. Oh wait, they arent playing at home

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
crashthenet

I am enjoying the rollercoaster.

Let's Go Islanders!!!!!

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Strummergas

**** yeah, The Hives! Let's go Isles! This team has had so much bad luck in recent years that all the 666 and 13 stuff can only negate it.

Any news of a working stream for tonight's match would be greatly appreciated.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
Wow, didnt even realize that other stuff. My money is on the building exploding. Oh wait, they arent playing at home
If they were home, the building wouldn't explode. It would just crumble and collapse.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
John TavArt Ross

6-6-6 Islanders playing on Friday the 13th?!?!

Imagine they were playing the Devils

Anyway.. Let's go Isles!

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
6-6-6 Islanders playing on Friday the 13th?!?!

Imagine they were playing the Devils

Anyway.. Let's go Isles!
the devils WITH SATAN on their team!

*edit* btw, does anyone think if satan joined the devils that would be the fastest selling jersey ever?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I want a "W" tonight! Let's continue to knock them down.

11-13-2009, 12:05 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
the devils WITH SATAN on their team!

*edit* btw, does anyone think if satan joined the devils that would be the fastest selling jersey ever?
Wow...I hate to say it, but if that happened I may actually have to buy that jersey.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Islanders DO NOT be the Jets and play down to your opponent. The Jets doing that is about all I can handle.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
It would be a very Islander thing to do to let them snap their streak against us...

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Law

Two things that jumped out at me in the comparisons -- one, rare that we have a statistical advantage on paper over any opponent and two, it can't be a good thing when Eric Staal is leading his team in penalty minutes, but not in scoring.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

This game scares the **** outta me. The Canes have lost 13 in a row. The law of averages says they are due to win again... and soon. My money is on tonight. I just have a really bad feeling about this game. If the canes had won one of their last few games, I would be gearing up for a win tonight. But... losing 14 in a row is pretty hard to do.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
This game scares the **** outta me. The Canes have lost 13 in a row. The law of averages says they are due to win again... and soon. My money is on tonight. I just have a really bad feeling about this game. If the canes had won one of their last few games, I would be gearing up for a win tonight. But... losing 14 in a row is pretty hard to do.
I guess we'll learn a little more about our team tonight. After blowing the lead vs. Washington, do the Isles come out against Carolina L.A.M.F, or do they downplay the Canes streak, their talent and their hunger to end the skid at 13? A team making in strides in learning how to win should come out and go right for the jugular. Let's see what happens.

Old
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
The law of averages says they are due to win again... and soon.
Good thing the law of averages is a fallacy.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Good thing the law of averages is a fallacy.
im with you my man...isles continue to put the puck in the net...6-2 win. jt with 3 points

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
blackmesa

Im predicting 6 goals in the First 6 minutes and 6 seconds.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
John TavArt Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
im with you my man...isles continue to put the puck in the net...6-2 win. jt with 3 points
If JT is due for a nice breakthrough game, this would be the one to do it. I hope he gets 3+ points tonight. First thing's first. Someone has to score.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
the isle revival

Friday the 13th, with a 6-6-6 record, and the 'Canes have lost 13 straight. I don't like any of it.

+ Rob Schremp is #13. Even worse.

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Mabey Marty will play with the Jason mask today?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 03:55 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
Im predicting 6 goals in the First 6 minutes and 6 seconds.
How about this.. at the 6:66 mark in the first period, center ice begins to cave in. Players are screaming as the remaining ice begins to crumble everywhere. The building shakes as if theres a massive earthquake..Suddenly from the ground, Miroslav Satan arises through solid concrete. Proclaiming his return for one night to set the record straight.. Removing the mark of the beast from the Isles 09/10 record.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:05 PM
13th Floor

Any word on Okposo?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 04:20 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
How about this.. at the 6:66 mark in the first period, center ice begins to cave in. Players are screaming as the remaining ice begins to crumble everywhere. The building shakes as if theres a massive earthquake..Suddenly from the ground, Miroslav Satan arises through solid concrete. Proclaiming his return for one night to set the record straight.. Removing the mark of the beast from the Isles 09/10 record.
I don't know what kind of clock you use, but mine only goes to 60.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote