HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pisani Sent Home Colitis

Old
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Wow, this is lousy. He was finally looking less rusty and playing pretty good, tough one for sure. Souray and Horcoff are in though. Anyone else worried Souray is being pushed in too soon and will miss a large chunk of the season because of it?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Wow, this is lousy. He was finally looking less rusty and playing pretty good, tough one for sure. Souray and Horcoff are in though. Anyone else worried Souray is being pushed in too soon and will miss a large chunk of the season because of it?
I don't think they are taking any chances with Souray's health. I've actually gotten the impression that he's been fine for a while but they wanted to make sure. But who knows.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

I don't care what this means to the Oilers or who gets called up at this moment (I don't mean that as a slight to the discussion)

I just feel bad for Pisani as a person!

What an awful blow!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
NotBad*

Man after everything he went through to try and come back. Hopefully he can at least live normally now that it looks like the disease will prevent him from being an NHL'r much longer

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
0ilerman
The King

sheesh...give us a break

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I have to admit I was tough on Pisani when he came back. Maybe his play was a direct result of his UC. Either way, it sucks for him and his family.

I'm with Replacement that the Oilers are trying to get him to his 400 games. I also think the Oilers will hire him in some capacity so he's taken care of in the future.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Of course I'm no Dr and I don't think any of us are but I think without the rigors of pro sports Pisani might be able to look after the condition more and not subject it to more stress.

Stress does not cause colitis as previously thought, but it exacerbates the condition.

Life after hockey should be somewhat better for Pisani. He'll have all the best treatment and care for the condition.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No I hear you. Its optics as well.

What kind of assmonkies would the Oilers look like if they refused to let this guy earn pension with this many games left?

A few years ago the playoff hero and now this. The Oilers are Prudently letting Pisani earn some more contract and games to get to 400. I think thats the way it shakes out.

It costs us some cap but the PR cost if the org didn't do it might be worse.

Pisani was a soldier here and teams take care of those guys.

Even with the NHLPA in chaos this kind of thing can get to be an issue if the Oil don't handle it right.
He will be given every opportunity to return to health and then back in the lineup. That will be and should be the extent of any charity extended. If they want to give him a job with the organization after this season, Im sure that would be a good move.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
danjo1

As crappy as that is for the team, I feel really bad for Pies who's battled through a hell of a lot but still it seems that he can't buy a break.

Wish him the best of luck and hopefully this bout with colitis isn't as bad as his previous one now that he's actually getting treatment for it.

danjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Well that bloody well stinks....

....too soon?

In all seriousness I hope he gets better.

Last edited by Philly85: 11-13-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjo1 View Post
As crappy as that is for the team, I feel really bad for Pies who's battled through a hell of a lot but still it seems that he can't buy a break.

Wish him the best of luck and hopefully this bout with colitis isn't as bad as his previous one now that he's actually getting treatment for it.
its the same one.

The problem is he was down to the last possible treatment for it. The next step was surgery.....

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Little Fury

On the sort of bright side, if he's forced to retire, he'll be the first career Oiler to retire an Oiler. I can't think of anyone else more appropriate to take that spot.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Explain Bisaillon. "every single player on the farm" was not injured.

(and yes I'm aware no Eberle yet)
Bisaillon was the last Oiler blue liner under contract in 06-07 we could call up, so every single AHL and ECHL defenceman (with an NHL contract) had been injured. They'd actually been in talks with Gavin MacLeod (former U of A player) to sign at the league minimum for the remainder of the season... MacLeod was working as an accountant at the time. That's how bad it was.

For what it's worth, Pisani is a very smart and talented player. I suspect he'll have a career in hockey even if it's not as a player.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
millpoo

Pisani must be devastated right now. Every time i freaking check up on this team something bad has happened.

Sucks to be an Oiler fan right now.

Thanks for the memories fernie .

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 01:55 PM
GMofOilers

Correct me if im wrong regards to Emergency call up.

I was under the impression the only time you can have one is after trade deadline when the roster freeze is on. You can list 3? players from your AHL affiliate to be able to come up.

If I recall right we had alot of injuries needing more than the 3? players your allowed. Thats why we were allowed emergency call up?

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:04 PM
fancy dan*

Quote:
I really have to say this but I think the Oilers are just trying to do the right thing by Pisani and get him to the pension amount of 400NHL games.

He's only 32 games away.

Classy thing to do by the org and I suspect they'll let Pisani get better again and then play him into the lineup.
i'm pretty positive that 400 games number has been eliminated since the last CBA.

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
No I hear you. Its optics as well.

What kind of assmonkies would the Oilers look like if they refused to let this guy earn pension with this many games left?

A few years ago the playoff hero and now this. The Oilers are Prudently letting Pisani earn some more contract and games to get to 400. I think thats the way it shakes out.

It costs us some cap but the PR cost if the org didn't do it might be worse.

Pisani was a soldier here and teams take care of those guys.

Even with the NHLPA in chaos this kind of thing can get to be an issue if the Oil don't handle it right.
That's what I was going to post, almost word-for-word.

If you want to attract players, one way to do it is show that you're a stand-up organization that will do right by its guys.

People often bring up Detroit when the subject of, 'no one wants to play in Edmonton because its ugly' but the Red Wings do two things the Oilers don't:

1. Win
2. Look after their players

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
On the sort of bright side, if he's forced to retire, he'll be the first career Oiler to retire an Oiler. I can't think of anyone else more appropriate to take that spot.
I thought of that, too. Its too bad it had to happen in this manner, though (if he is, in fact, done as a player).

Hopefully, the organization will keep him around in some capacity. A guy who had to fight as hard as he did to make it and then stick around, no doubt has a thing or two to pass on to young players coming up.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
danjo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
its the same one.

The problem is he was down to the last possible treatment for it. The next step was surgery.....
I was under the impression that things got so bad the first time around because he didn't seek treatment immediately. Is that the the case?

Either way, hopefully he gets through it okay.

danjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Roamin

some oiler fans, have no heart for some things.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:29 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
You don't know what his finances are. Lots of people with lots of money lost most of it in the last couple years. Plus, the medical costs for his condition could be very substantial.
Just that the economy sucks doesn't mean that money is literally disappearing. If you've got money in the bank your balance isn't going to change with the crashing economy.

The dude has made around seven and a half mill over the past three seasons and I assume the team pays for all of his medical bills. So he's set. If he isn't, then he shouldn't even be allowed to have money. It should just be thrown to some charity.

That being said, you can't blame the team if they try to help him get to that 400 game mark. If he's able to come back I'd be cool with signing him for league minimum. We can't afford to pay him 1M+, because we need to be careful with our cap space because of what we're getting out of the Nilson, Moreau, Staios and Horcoff contracts.

But this isn't good. I didn't even know that colitis could come back to bite people a second time like it has here.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:37 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
It's unfortunate, but as I've stated numerous times: he's finished. When you have a serious disorder which makes it very difficult to build muscle mass, or even keep the muscle mass you have it makes things a lot more difficult for you in the competitive world of the NHL. Looking at Pisani it's clear that he's lost quite a bit of weight--most of which is muscle. I could tell fatigue/endurance was also a problem for Pisani, which is also part of it.

It's too bad, but he's done--atleast as the effective NHLer he once was. I'd be surprised to see him play another game in the NHL.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Just that the economy sucks doesn't mean that money is literally disappearing. If you've got money in the bank your balance isn't going to change with the crashing economy.

The dude has made around seven and a half mill over the past three seasons and I assume the team pays for all of his medical bills. So he's set. If he isn't, then he shouldn't even be allowed to have money. It should just be thrown to some charity.

That being said, you can't blame the team if they try to help him get to that 400 game mark. If he's able to come back I'd be cool with signing him for league minimum. We can't afford to pay him 1M+, because we need to be careful with our cap space because of what we're getting out of the Nilson, Moreau, Staios and Horcoff contracts.

But this isn't good. I didn't even know that colitis could come back to bite people a second time like it has here.
Tell that to the thousands of people whose investments lost most of their value.
Is it likely he is broke, no but just because someone makes alot of money does not necessarily mean they didn't get bad investment advise.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:47 PM
sdimedru

anyone have a man games lost to injury list for the league so far?
just curious

sdimedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

It is my understanding that Colitis is a chronic condition, and that it doesnt go away, but it can be managed, much like Asthma.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote