HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pisani Sent Home Colitis

Old
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
So I'm trying to figure out why some here are being such needless ***holes about the idea of "getting Pisani to the NHLPA Pension?"

He's not taking YOUR pension, and no one is saying he's in desperate need of it, the original pointed stated it would be a classy thing for the Organization to do to help him get there, and it's really hard to argue with that, unless you just hate athletes on the principle that they make too much, because you're jealous.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Skelator 786*

vCash: 500
colitis isn't deadly, but it's not good either. my mom had this had she needed 4 bottles of blood because she lost so much.

hope he gets better.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
HockeyGM82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So I'm trying to figure out why some here are being such needless ***holes about the idea of "getting Pisani to the NHLPA Pension?"

He's not taking YOUR pension, and no one is saying he's in desperate need of it, the original pointed stated it would be a classy thing for the Organization to do to help him get there, and it's really hard to argue with that, unless you just hate athletes on the principle that they make too much, because you're jealous.
I think some people think he's not really worth taking up a line up spot. Some people think he still is.

People who think he isn't worth a spot are concerned that he's going to be in 30+ games and that hinders the lineup overall when somebody better could be playing. As a result, this hinders their playoff chances.

Nothing to do with a pension. He should only be in there if he deserves it. he doesn't deserve the Oilers being "loyal" and just throwing him in there to get to 400 games if somebody better can fill the void.

HockeyGM82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGM82 View Post
I think some people think he's not really worth taking up a line up spot. Some people think he still is.

People who think he isn't worth a spot are concerned that he's going to be in 30+ games and that hinders the lineup overall when somebody better could be playing. As a result, this hinders their playoff chances.

Nothing to do with a pension. He should only be in there if he deserves it. he doesn't deserve the Oilers being "loyal" and just throwing him in there to get to 400 games if somebody better can fill the void.
The sick and just off injury Pisani was still more useful and effective then either Moreau or Nilsson, so I don't really see the issue.

And the idea of an organization being loyal to a player in this manner does WONDERS, imo, for you're reputation around the league.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Thanks for the 06 memories Fernando!
This ^^^^ in particular.
Buona Fortuna Fernando

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No offense, but the guy has made over seven million dollars the last three years. Does he really need a pension?
Does it matter how much he makes or has made? Anyone that close to being able to collect a pension I am sure would do whatever they could to make that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I really have to say this but I think the Oilers are just trying to do the right thing by Pisani and get him to the pension amount of 400NHL games.

He's only 32 games away.

Classy thing to do by the org and I suspect they'll let Pisani get better again and then play him into the lineup.
I really hope he does get to play at least that many games if not more, I would hate to see his career over for something like this, I really think that when he is healthy he is one of the best PKers in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

I couldn't agree more, and I really hope for him and his family's sake he gets better and that this does not last long. What a terrible thing to have to endure and live through especially with a young family. I would not wish Colitis or Crohn's on anyone, i have seen what it can do to a person and it is not pretty. I just hope he gets better again soon!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No offense, but the guy has made over seven million dollars the last three years. Does he really need a pension?
Come on Man, Fernando has a health problem, no need for this garbage

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Come on Man, Fernando has a health problem, no need for this garbage
What are you calling garbage? I wished and do wish him a speedy recovery and I am thankful for what he has given the fans of this team over the years.

People here are acting like his family will be reduced to eating dog food. I live on a disability pension. I have a family. Do you even know wtf you are talking about? The guy made more in the last three years than most people in two life times. Think about that. Unbelievable.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:11 PM
HockeyGM82

Two ways to look at it.

About Pisani "needing" the pension. No, he probably doesn't unless he got into a Nicolas Cage type situation and had somebody invest and lose all of his money.

Does he deserve one? If he can get healthy, beat out another roster player for that spot, and remain in great shape, yes he deserves it.

Like others have said, it's up to the organization to make the decision of whether to play him the other 39 games or whatever it is to get to the 400 game threshold.

My opinion is that he has to be 100% and the best option possible if he comes back. Yes it looks good on the team from a PR standpoint, but you can't play him those games if he's going to hurt the team out there.

I hope he recovers and can sign another contract somewhere in the NHL after this year.

HockeyGM82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
why? we discuss horcoff's undeserved wealth all the time.
Horcoff doesn't have a terrible disease that is threatening his career and dream.

Besides, I never have been involved in the Horcoff money discussion.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:45 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Horcoff doesn't have a terrible disease that is threatening his career and dream.

i'm pretty sure he was diagnosed with the suck a while back

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:01 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
No I hear you. Its optics as well.

What kind of assmonkies would the Oilers look like if they refused to let this guy earn pension with this many games left?

A few years ago the playoff hero and now this. The Oilers are Prudently letting Pisani earn some more contract and games to get to 400. I think thats the way it shakes out.

It costs us some cap but the PR cost if the org didn't do it might be worse.

Pisani was a soldier here and teams take care of those guys.

Even with the NHLPA in chaos this kind of thing can get to be an issue if the Oil don't handle it right.
+1 well said.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:20 AM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post

he was born with no hands...quite terrible if you ask me..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Fourier

Just to be clear, the "400 games" thing was a component of the previous CBA's. Moreover, it was not a minimum number of games required to earn a pension. For players with less than 400 games the amount of money placed into their pension acoount was $8000 CDN and for those with more than 400 games it was $12,500. In the new CBA there is a more complicated rule, based on max CDN amounts vs max US amounts for players with more or less than 160 games played.

In any case, Piasni does not need to reach 400 games played to earn his pension. In fact, with respect to the pension, time spent on the injury list is credited, so in that respect he is already over 400 games (though the 400 number really has no consequence at this point.)

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement21.asp

But I do agree with Replacement in the sense that the Oilers will try to treat Pisani well. He has been a solid and very loyal foot-soldier for them.

Last edited by Fourier: 11-14-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Doswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
But I do agree with Replacement in the sense that the Oilers will try to treat Pisani well. He has been a solid and very loyal foot-soldier for them.
I also think they should look after him because it's the right thing to do.

But, aside from that, treating him poorly (from a player's viewpoint) could cause further serious harm to the appeal of Edmonton as a good place to play.

We desperately need to improve on that front, not get worse.

Doswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doswell View Post

But, aside from that, treating him poorly (from a player's viewpoint) could cause further serious harm to the appeal of Edmonton as a good place to play.

Exactly, why is this so hard to understand.

Old
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Just to be clear, the "400 games" thing was a component of the previous CBA's. Moreover, it was not a minimum number of games required to earn a pension. For players with less than 400 games the amount of money placed into their pension acoount was $8000 CDN and for those with more than 400 games it was $12,500. In the new CBA there is a more complicated rule, based on max CDN amounts vs max US amounts for players with more or less than 160 games played.

In any case, Piasni does not need to reach 400 games played to earn his pension. In fact, with respect to the pension, time spent on the injury list is credited, so in that respect he is already over 400 games (though the 400 number really has no consequence at this point.)

thanks for the info.

The Oilers have supported Pisani very well so far and I see no reason why that wont continue.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGM82 View Post

Because that's why the Oilers are going to miss the playoffs.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Of course I'm no Dr and I don't think any of us are but I think without the rigors of pro sports Pisani might be able to look after the condition more and not subject it to more stress.

Stress does not cause colitis as previously thought, but it exacerbates the condition.

Life after hockey should be somewhat better for Pisani. He'll have all the best treatment and care for the condition.
you're right, stress does exacerbate it, some believe that it also causes it. I also believe lower back pain, caused by tightness, which Pisani had it also stress related.

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:30 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
I think the Oilers will let him play out his contract.
This. He may come to the conclusion it's time to retire in the next little while, but when he goes to management with that they're going to say don't worry about it and tell him to collect a pay cheque on the LTIR until the end of the year.

It doesn't get acknowledged much, but the Oilers organization is always good to it's players in these sorts of ways.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, I had trouble downloading the CBA from the NHLPA site.

I didn't know injury games would be credited as well. Does that need to be Long term injury list missed games?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
i'm pretty sure he was diagnosed with the suck a while back
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
he was born with no hands...quite terrible if you ask me..
I get it, Horcoff sucks. Please stop hijacking the thread.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doswell View Post

I get what you mean, but I think we're exaggerating the intelligence of the general hockey player if we think they look at stuff like that. To be honest, most hockey players have trouble reading, let alone looking the small features that boost the moral righteousness of a hockey club.

Either way, I hope they do whatever they can for Pisani. Maybe a job after he retires? Not coaching, but somewhere in the organization if he's interested.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I had trouble downloading the CBA from the NHLPA site.

I didn't know injury games would be credited as well. Does that need to be Long term injury list missed games?
The wording from the old CBA is ...

Quote:
with games for which a player is dressed and available to play, and games not played because of illness or injury or because the player has been
temporarily assigned to a club in the Minors solely for conditioning purposes following an injury or illness, in each case counting as games credited for this purpose

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote