HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pens trade malkin or crosby? Or Malkin Decision? Check new question

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kariya View Post
I would trade Malkin straight up for Kovalchuk.
^^^ this

Old
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Art Vanddelay

A kings fan being critical of how the Pens won the Stanley Cup............God I F***ing love HF Boards!

Old
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
^^^ this
Not a chance. There is a lot more depth to Malkin's game than Kovalchuk's. Malkin's younger and better. Kovalchuk is a better goal scorer, Malkin's better at everything else. Pittsburgh won't trade either of their superstar centers because it would be flat out stupid to give up their biggest advantage over the other teams.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post

I basically agree with the rest of your post, but without considering hype, I think its a pretty decent proposal. Gets the pens an elite winger(playing with another russian probably gives malkin another reason to stay/extend contract, and Staal(though a little overrated around here) can play the 2nd line center and the youth gets to move up. They also get an all around defenceman that looks like the real deal. Goligoski and Bogo look like a good defensive core to build around.

Well then you make sure he will play more than one year before making the trade(like Flyers did with Pronger), and then know you can sign him.

...DOY!
I think it's pretty clear that Staal might not have what it takes to be a 2nd line center considering how poorly he plays offensively without manbear48, and I would rather have Crosby and Malkin who have shown they can make poor wingers look good instead of Crosby/Malkin and Staal (who is however very important to the penguins success, but he can not substitute for either Crosby or Malkin).

Having Malkin and Crosby at the price of "just" $8,7mil each is pretty damn neat and hopefully, the pens will be able to have them both for a very, very long time.

We got plenty of replacable parts, Crosby and Malkin are not one of those parts.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:22 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
^^^ this
Silliness. Malkin's better, younger and actually signed long term beyond next year, so possibly cheaper as well. It would be biblically stupid.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyswan View Post

Telos is right. Crosby is the face of the franchise, and the poster boy of the NHL along with Ovy. There is a reason the Pens stuck the C on him. He is a good leader and an excellent player. He is a fan favorite, and his name helps sell alot of the merchandise. However, i personally think, like quiet a few, that Malkin is the more talented player. Pens would trade Malkin before Crosby.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
Why? Because of popularity or because talent and ability?
Because when you're building a team you start with a strong leader.

If I was building a team I'd take Crosby over Malkin 10 times out of 10.

However, I think Malkin is the better offensive player.

Old
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
invictus

Assuming one of the two had to be traded, I think Malkin would be the one to go. Crosby has the "C", speaks English fluently, has a close relationship with Mario, etc...

The thing is, with either one being traded, it would absolutely have to be to the Western Conference. You don't trade a talent like when you have to play him 4+ times a year and in the playoffs anytime before the Finals.

So, if Malkin is going West.....I think we can agree Staal is best as a 3rd line center, so we'd have to get a 2nd line center back, plus (presumably) some winger(s) and a high pick or 2. It really just depends on when the trade goes down and such. Hard to say.

Old
11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I wonder if people's answers of "No" would change if Staal became a true #1 center (PPG player) in a few years and they could lock him up for say 5mil.

I think if this occured, Malkin would then be expendable for the right package. Of course since this is a few years down the road, it's difficult to determine what the right package would be. The deal would likely be based around two young goal scoring wingers.

Imagine what the Pens could be offensively if this did happen.

Old
11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrothernumba1 View Post
Ok so I had to reword this post so that the discussion is clear. Can you see the pens trading either Crosby or Malkin in the future to relieve a cap hit and get decent wingers? or one really good winger?

Another discussion idea for you, can you see geno going to a different team for a number one line role? why or why not?
Do we really need to do this every time the Pens have a losing streak?

Old
11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
uhmm.....
i don't like the idea "we won the cup this way"
There is always a way to get better. And honestly i think you guys just won the cup because the Wings as opponent team.
Against an on fire Ducks or Hawksteam this could be different easily.
The fact, the Wings was in final was just because Jesus is a WIngs fan, really they was outplayed so bad and scored the lucky goals in the last minute.

But anyways you guys won the cup.
But it is a bad idea just to tell, everything is well, we don't have to do something.
Drugs are bad mmkay?

Old
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I wonder if people's answers of "No" would change if Staal became a true #1 center (PPG player) in a few years and they could lock him up for say 5mil.

I think if this occured, Malkin would then be expendable for the right package. Of course since this is a few years down the road, it's difficult to determine what the right package would be. The deal would likely be based around two young goal scoring wingers.

Imagine what the Pens could be offensively if this did happen.
If Staal ever became a true No. 1, it would be a win-win regardless of whether or not anybody would get traded. We won the Cup last spring with Staal as a great No. 3. If he ever elevated his game to the point where we now have three first-line centers, well then I wouldn't care what our next move would be...because it would work out for us no matter what.

Personally, I'd keep them all under any scenario for as long as I humanly can, because that is the only big edge Pittsburgh holds over every other team in the league.

Old
11-13-2009, 07:28 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
You could get a horde for Malkin or Crosby. If they had to trade one, it'd almost certainly be Malkin.The skillsets are similar, but Crobsy is much more recognizable.

By the same token, I think Malkin enjoys playing second fiddle while he gets comfortable with the North American culture. he can be a superstar, but hardly ever gets bothered, because everyone will just go after Crosby. I dunno if he wants it to be like that forever, so i can see him leaving once the contract expires for his own team, but I think he's pretty happy about it right now.

Old
11-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Personally, I'd keep them all under any scenario for as long as I humanly can, because that is the only big edge Pittsburgh holds over every other team in the league.
Bet your entire life savings and everyone else's that your GM sees thing precisely the same way.

The best core in the game will remain so for as many years, in all likelihood. Shero recognizes that as long as it does, the Pens will contend, annually. Trade Malkin for two exciting wingers? Please.

Around here, we're into deconstructing success, one ridiculous and creative step at a time.

Last edited by Trottier: 11-14-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrothernumba1 View Post
Well I think the pens may be in trouble for cap space in the next 5 years or so but thats just me
Well, you and your type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
Crosby and Letang for kovalchuk, Bogosian and a 1st isnt too absurd if you take off the homer glasses...
It's terrible.

Crosby dusted the better, younger version of Kovy last year, and has consistently shown that he can be a force in the playoffs. Letang, despite a lacklustre start this year, showed last season that he could produce with the best defensemen in the league when it counts. The Thrashers simply haven't.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Bet your entire life savings and everyone else's that your GM sees thing precisely the same way.

The best core in the game will remain do for as many years, in all likelihood. Shero recognizes that as long as it does, the Pens contend, annually. Trade Malkin for two exciting wingers? Please.

Around here, we're into deconstructing success, one ridiculous and creative step at a time.
The HF way...

picks > prospects > players

Old
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Probably Malkin, since there is no one who would take Crosby with that cap hit.

Shero really missed the target on that contract.
You're right. He offered just over 8 million to a 20 year old that had back to back 100 points seasons in the first 2 seasons (as a TEENAGER no less), won the league MVP at 19, was on pace to racking up a third consecutive 100 point season in his 3rd year, set numerous records, and lead his team to the cup finals at the age of 20.

Oh ya, real gaff of a signing right there.

In all seriousness, I know you're the furthest thing from a Crosby fan, but if you're gonna talk about "missed targets" in terms of signings, talk about guys like Gomez or Drury.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBDE View Post
I think it's pretty clear that Staal might not have what it takes to be a 2nd line center considering how poorly he plays offensively without manbear48, and I would rather have Crosby and Malkin who have shown they can make poor wingers look good instead of Crosby/Malkin and Staal (who is however very important to the penguins success, but he can not substitute for either Crosby or Malkin).

Having Malkin and Crosby at the price of "just" $8,7mil each is pretty damn neat and hopefully, the pens will be able to have them both for a very, very long time.

We got plenty of replacable parts, Crosby and Malkin are not one of those parts.
Agreed. I'd even throw Fleury into the mix of "untouchables" at this point. If anything, I see them dealing guys like Staal or Oprik in order to relieve some cap room before they deal either one of Sid or Geno.

If it does indeed come down to having to deal either one of them for, I'd bet my money on Geno being shipped out. As most may already know, Sid is clearly the face of this franchise both now, and in the years to come.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Crosby dusted the better, younger version of Kovy last year
Do you really believe that?

Old
11-13-2009, 11:19 PM
SpezDispenser

I would never in a million years trade either one of these guys. To me, this is the reason they won the Cup - and the reason they might do it again. The wingers just have to have some skill, nothing extraordinary, just good players. The rest is all about having the best 1-2 punch of centers in the entire league. The Penguins will always remain Cup contenders as long as they have these two - or until they're too old to make a difference anymore.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
^^^ this
yes, because the LEAFS know how to build a championship team right now

Old
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Crosberry87

Why is this thread in existence?

Old
11-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
What block?

I think they won't trade Malkin or Crosby. They pay them $9 million each and have enough room. They put together 2 great seasons.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Well I expected this thread to be alittle bit different but its exactly like the Crosby vs Malkin vs Ovechkin thread...

Old
11-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Do you really believe that?
Why wouldn't I? He did it, I saw it, Ovechkin's center acknowledged it, and their respective coaches implied it.

And before you misrepresent my case, no, I am not suggesting that Crosby is better than Ovechkin simply because his team beat the Capitals. I'm only saying that Crosby outplayed Ovechkin in the Pens/Caps playoffs series last year. Deal.

Last edited by Warm Cookies: 11-14-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Closed Thread