HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donald Brashear

Old
11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Donald Brashear

When is this slug going to play on a regular basis ? Last was the first time we needed a heavyweight and he is eating popcorn again. What is the injury ? I was told concussion the Rangers are saying hand? or wrist? We need a fighter with Gabby and others getting run, The west is a different breed every team has 2-4 guys that throw down and they hit everyone . Voros doesn't cut and Byers I love but not a good fighter

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
NYR Viper

Agreed. This is what I was worried about over the offseason. Even with Brashear playing they arent a very tough team(fighting-wise) but without him they are severely lacking.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
D713B

Have we ever had this many threads for a fourth liner only 16 games into the season? I feel like we've had a Brashear thread once a week since the season started.

Vancouver didn't dress a heavyweight last night, who exactly was going to drop the gloves with him? Before you say SOB, check his fight card and tell me the last time he fought a legit heavy. The fight between Byers and Glass was pretty pointless in my opinion. ~1:30 left in an already decided game against an opponent we won't see again unless both teams make the finals, I really don't know why Dane went after Glass at that point of the game. I would have understood Bieksa but not Glass. He clearly is just trying to prove his worth but now he has to sit out a game.

I thought we protected our star player just fine last night and showed our toughness. Our team just needs a wake up call, we already have enough grit and toughness on our roster.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
NYR Viper

It still would be nice to have a very good middleweight. Someone like Chris Neil would be ideal. When I heard the Rangers were going after him I was hoping and praying that he would sing in NY. Unfortunately it didnt work out. Vancouver is a very tough team, not many teams can match their team-wide toughness in the NHL but I do enjoy watching their games because they bring a physical element every game that normally makes the game exciting.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
D713B

Neil is basically a heavy. He drops them with guys like Godard, Peters, Thornton, Parros, he's even fought Brash before. I see guys like Rypien, Clarkson and Carcillo as middleweights and top end ones. I think Avery and Dubinsky do a decent enough job in that department. They aren't top middles but I've never seen Avery really lose a fight before and Dubinsky is always willing and improving. Now with Byers I feel as though we have a guy that can go with the legit middleweights and the odd lower end of the spectrum heavy or two. Like I said I believe our team has pieces to be a tough team to play against, they just need a wake up call.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Dagoon44

darcy hordichuk,Rypien and O'brien were all dressed last night and both are legit heavyweight fighters and Borrows played who isn't a goon but is a solid fighter and they have guys like Glass that fight. Calgary and Edmonton have top 5 guys and neither of those teams are afraid to hit stars, Torts needed a heavy and picked the wrong one

Old
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
NYR Viper

I would put Neil in a middle-to-heavy class. I dont think he likes going with heavyweight but will do so if need be. Carcillo is a very good middle-weight I agree. O'Brien I have always thought of as a pretty decent heavy-weight though. Just would be nice to be using that 1 million on someone else who can add some toughness rather than Voros. O'Brien I believe makes less than or about 1 million this season, Neil is making 1.3 I believe with Ottawa, Asham and Laperrirere are both very good middleweights as well. Dubinsky and Avery arent the types of players I would choose to fight any of those players mentioned above.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I would put Neil in a middle-to-heavy class. I dont think he likes going with heavyweight but will do so if need be. Carcillo is a very good middle-weight I agree. O'Brien I have always thought of as a pretty decent heavy-weight though. Just would be nice to be using that 1 million on someone else who can add some toughness rather than Voros. O'Brien I believe makes less than or about 1 million this season, Neil is making 1.3 I believe with Ottawa, Asham and Laperrirere are both very good middleweights as well. Dubinsky and Avery arent the types of players I would choose to fight any of those players mentioned above.
I think Avery can hang with those guys, he has a pretty impressive resume for a guy his size. Other fan bases always want to see the guy get pounded and say he turtles but he doesn't turn down most invitations or really lose a fight. I don't see Dubinsky or Avery decisively beating any of those guys nor do I see them getting destroyed by them. Dubinsky fought Carcillo already, he didn't win, but he didn't really lose either. We've seen Avery beat guys like Clarkson and Malone who are bigger than him. I see Byers as our guy going forward that belongs in middle class though, so really I think we're fine. This team just needs a spark because they aren't playing with the edge that they can.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I think Avery can hang with those guys, he has a pretty impressive resume for a guy his size. Other fan bases always want to see the guy get pounded and say he turtles but he doesn't turn down most invitations or really lose a fight. I don't see Dubinsky or Avery really decisively beating any of those guys nor do I see them getting destroyed by them. Dubinsky fought Carcillo already, he didn't win, but he didn't really lose either. We've seen Avery beat guys like Clarkson and Malone who are bigger than him. I see Byers as our guy going forward that belongs in that class though, so really I think we're fine. This team just needs a spark because they aren't playing with the edge that they can.
I agree that they have some players coming up, Byers is obviously the example now, but players like Dupont, Soryal and Weise are the others who come to mind. It may just be the fact that I am a fan of the physical side of the game and enjoy seeing spur of the moment fights but I feel the fights that really get the team into the game are the ones with the middleweights because, most of the time, they arent as staged. I think if Byers continues to progress he could turn into at least an average middle-weight but if I am the Rangers, Dubinsky and Avery arent the players I want fighting players like Neil, Carcillo or Asham as they give up quite a bit of size and skill(in the fighting department) respectively.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I agree that they have some players coming up, Byers is obviously the example now, but players like Dupont, Soryal and Weise are the others who come to mind. It may just be the fact that I am a fan of the physical side of the game and enjoy seeing spur of the moment fights but I feel the fights that really get the team into the game are the ones with the middleweights because, most of the time, they arent as staged. I think if Byers continues to progress he could turn into at least an average middle-weight but if I am the Rangers, Dubinsky and Avery arent the players I want fighting players like Neil, Carcillo or Asham as they give up quite a bit of size and skill(in the fighting department) respectively.
I agree with you. Definitely don't want Dubinsky or Avery having to go with them, my point was just that in the event that they feel the need, they can hang with them. Aside from that, trading 5 PIM of Avery or Dubinsky for a guy like Carcillo isn't a fair trade off for us.

The middles definitely do seem to spark the team more. There usually seems to be a reason behind it other than two enforcers who happen to be sharing the ice. Fights like Dubinsky/Richards or Avery/Clarkson definitely spark our team more than Brashear/Goddard.

Old
11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'd rather have no fighting in the game than Brashear on this team. Man, a few weeks ago I thought I was going to like this team, but now I hate the whole team sans a few.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I agree with you. Definitely don't want Dubinsky or Avery having to go with them, my point was just that in the event that they feel the need, they can hang with them. Aside from that, trading 5 PIM of Avery or Dubinsky for a guy like Carcillo isn't a fair trade off for us.

The middles definitely do seem to spark the team more. There usually seems to be a reason behind it other than two enforcers who happen to be sharing the ice. Fights like Dubinsky/Richards or Avery/Clarkson definitely spark our team more than Brashear/Goddard.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say. It would be so nice, almost a luxury to have a guy like Carcillo who could really turn the momentum of the game with a fight as games get more physical. That is the reason why players like Neil, Carcillo, etc. are so valuable.

I like Avery and Dubinsky a lot, and I know they are both game when it comes to fighting but it seems like this skill is another where our team seems to be a bit out of whack. They needing to play, or in this case fight above their level which usually doesnt turn out well. All it would take is for them to either develop or sign/trade for a player who can fill that role and still play the game. Voros doesnt count and Byers isnt there yet. I am really holding out hope that Byers and Soryal really become those types of players because I think that has a lot to do with being a physically imposing team.

Old
11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'd rather have no fighting in the game than Brashear on this team. Man, a few weeks ago I thought I was going to like this team, but now I hate the whole team sans a few.

Over dramatic much? A few rough games, and you hate the team? Sheesh.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Vitto79

Honestly Brashear plays only a few minutes a game. He will get healthy again. They have Byers and oh good lord Voros if they have to fight. Ala the Vancouver game. yea Voros will get beat up and he stinks but he will fight if he has too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
AllNYteams

I have been looking at this board for awhile, but this is my first post. Brashear really is a non-factor except for his paycheck which is undeserved. He isn't as intimidating at this point in his career. He will be KO'd a couple of more times this year than last and then other players will really laugh at him when he tries to fight them. Some of the other Rangers just need to eat some raw meat or something and stop getting pushed around. Besides, the fights between two players who are just fed-up are more entertaining than two goons fighting to keep their jobs.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Who cares keep him in the press box he has been nothing but bad for us.. A turn over machine and to be honest his fighting is not entertaining

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Dagoon44

The fast start fooled a lot of people but the team has a ton of holes and most of them center around being soft. The team needs a stay home defensemen with a edge and a 4th line tough guy that plays a regular shift. Torts promised a grittier nasty team and we don't have it

Old
11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Dagoon I couldn't agree more. Everyone got way to excited and our D is most likely getting laughed at with the way teams walk past them and turn over pucks in our corners

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
hlundqvist30*

Who the hell do you want to scratch in his place? Higgins has been our best PKer, and Lisin was playing VERY well offensively until he got hurt. Byers has earned his spot on this team. We don't need to waste a roster spot for a guy who can do nothing but be a punching bag for the other team.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 05:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't feel like wasting my time with everyone's posts but I'm pretty sure his hands are hurt - it's clear he has some injury that's preventing him from being able to fight. If he can't fight why bother having him play? He's a decent 4th line player but we can do better. As pitiful a sight it is to see Voros fight, if he can still fight and attempt to send a message I'd rather have him play than Brashear.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

besides the emrgence of mr delzotto, Brashear's "soreness" is the best thing thats happened to this team so far this season. the guy sucks, plain and simple. Just an abomination by mr sather...again.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The fast start fooled a lot of people but the team has a ton of holes and most of them center around being soft. The team needs a stay home defensemen with a edge and a 4th line tough guy that plays a regular shift. Torts promised a grittier nasty team and we don't have it
Amen

I think Torts is reverting to this ridiculous "Team Toughness" theory - complete BS. How long till teams start really running Gaborik & Lundqvist?

Pisses me off everytime I see the NYRs take the ice w/out Orr in the lineup

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Dagoon44

That would be a awesome trade for us. I love him he is huge hits like a truck fights and chips in a few goals. Higgins is A great PK guy but nothing else. I feel he could be replaced

Old
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
I think Torts is reverting to this ridiculous "Team Toughness" theory - complete BS. How long till teams start really running Gaborik & Lundqvist?
Is that Torts fault or Gaborik and Lundqvist's teammates fault? Lundy has been our superstar net minder for going on 5 seasons and we still don't stand up for him and protect him? These players lack heart if you aren't going to stand up for your franchise player. The nucleus of this team has been around long enough that it should be embedded in them to protect him, yet it isn't there. It's larger than Torts, this assembly of players just seem to not care at times.

[

Old
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
SWM

I miss Orr...

SWM is offline   Reply With Quote