HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting pissed off at your team

Old
11-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Getting pissed off at your team

My team graduated from playing a lower level where we dominated.

During this time, I kept getting moved all around. Never really solidifying myself on any particular line.

I am 6'7, and have always felt the most comfortable at playing defense.

Two weeks ago, while playing defense I had an alright but not great game 1G 1A, +3 and 2PIM. My defensive partners have made my job incredibly difficult, because they have no foot speed and are lousy in general at their position.

I am normally very aggressive at pursuing the puck.

In our current league, it seems we have way too much floating going on, and it looks exactly like this video:

I even sent this video out to help my team-mates but it seems only a couple of people actually spent the time to watch it.

We have some new people on our team but our Centers are not clearing up the slots, they're floating. Defenseman are not picking up the corners and wingers aren't covering the point like they need to.

On top of this, I am kind of tired of getting moved all around. I can't ever seem to find my game. Most of the time the people I am playing with just aren't as good...I am playing on the 3rd line or 2nd line tandem.

I like my team-mates and stuff but this is just killing me. I thought my Captain knew what to do after previously voicing my concerns with him. But it seems like he has kind of lost control with the team, the lines he's putting together some work, but it seems I am always on the one that doesn't.

I dunno, maybe I am over-reacting, but I feel my talents are being thrown away.

My Captain and I who I used to be good friends with, but not so much any more seems to be intentionally placing me on the crap lines.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Is this in beer league?

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Is this in beer league?
A cut above beer league. We graduated from I(instructional) league, because the team won the championship. Now we're in D things are more competitive and serious. Winning requires more discipline and smarter decisions.

Old
11-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
A cut above beer league. We graduated from I(instructional) league, because the team won the championship. Now we're in D things are more competitive and serious. Winning requires more discipline and smarter decisions.
That still sounds like beer league.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

If nobody is paying to watch you play and it's not minor hockey, it's beer league. Beer league = Rec league.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Pierre Gotye

Ok, so yes Beer league. I still want to win though.

Old
11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
EmptyNetter

If you guys are going to play together as a team you need strong lines of communication. Talk to your captain and ask him why you're being paired with weaker skaters. Chances are he's counting on you to cover for their mistakes but he really needs to explain what he wants from you. Whoever you're paired with talk to him on the ice -- call for the puck, be his eyes if he's retrieving the puck and he's got a man on him. On the bench give constructive praise and criticism so your d partner can know what to do on his next shift.

Whatever you do, avoid taking the attitude of "better than your peers". I understand the frustration of being moved around from position to position. This is my fourth year of beer league hockey and I've always switched between wing and defense while never getting a firm grasp on either position and never building great chemistry with a line or a d-partner. But your captain is looking for solutions to problems and combinations that work. You do that by strengthening a d-pair. You solve that problem for him and he's not likely to split you up and suddenly you've got a permanent role and a partner you can grow with.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:45 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 1845
Quote:
Not to sound snotty but:

learn to skate, shoot, and hold your position and move up to A league and make better friends who play better hockey. (in TX)

It's better to play hockey and lose than to not play at all right?

you just left the instructional league and are playing in D, come on man how much better could you be than your friends.

By the way that is a great video I'll sent it to my sons novice coach to whip them 8 year old defender into shape (My son is the goalie)

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
I'm kind of in the same boat as you and have come to a conclusion that is saving me from going bat-s**t on some team mates. They are paying to play and as long as that's the case you can't tell them how to play. If they don't take it as seriously as you do you really only have one option. Find a team that does. Your current team mates may be ok with just going out to have some fun and get a skate in. You can't change that.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as you and have come to a conclusion that is saving me from going bat-s**t on some team mates. They are paying to play and as long as that's the case you can't tell them how to play. If they don't take it as seriously as you do you really only have one option. Find a team that does. Your current team mates may be ok with just going out to have some fun and get a skate in. You can't change that.
Best point made so far. Let everyone get their moneys worth out of the game, not worry about keeping a contract.

Old
11-13-2009, 09:38 PM
psulion11

No disrespect but after watching that video, that is about as beer league as it gets.

psulion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:48 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The solution for you is to move up again to a new team. If you feel the rest of your team doesn't know what they are doing in beer league play the only real solution is to move up a league. This plagued me for years, I'd spend a lot of time thinking about how so and so sucks, this guy can't do a damn thing, nobody is trying to get better. Then one day I saw the light. Maybe I should be playing with better players. Eventually I got to leagues and teams where I was the one being yelled at because I was actually expected to complete my responsibilites on the ice rather than coasting through games playing with and against people at a lower skill level. The result is a much more enjoyable time playing hockey. I don't have to worry about what other people are doing. When we lose I can just focus on my game, what I'm doing right or wrong and move on to the next game. Right now I'm on 2 teams, one I'm the top scorer on the team. The other I'm 2nd to last in points. After the season is over I'm going to quit the first team because it's just not that fun when you score a goal and lose 5-1. I can yell and scream at them all day long but the reality is they are at a skill level and giving them negative feedback isn't going to suddenly bless them with talent or make them go play pickup. They're happy with where they are at so it's up to me to man up and find a different team where I feel comfortable and happy.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

What pisses me off is that nobody is born as a natural hockey talent, it's work and desire that leads to improvement and many players in beer league have none of either.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
What pisses me off is that nobody is born as a natural hockey talent, it's work and desire that leads to improvement and many players in beer league have none of either.
That's kind of why it's beer league. Hockey doesn't have to be important to everyone for them to benefit from playing the game, you know? Maybe some guys have that drive to excel at other pursuits in life and hockey is just where they blow off their steam. Most beer league players aren't going anywhere with hockey, so it doesn't make that much sense for them to kill themselves at it if they can enjoy it as much while giving a half-hearted effort. I personally don't feel that way, but I get how others do. Just my 2 cents.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:42 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
That's kind of why it's beer league. Hockey doesn't have to be important to everyone for them to benefit from playing the game, you know? Maybe some guys have that drive to excel at other pursuits in life and hockey is just where they blow off their steam. Most beer league players aren't going anywhere with hockey, so it doesn't make that much sense for them to kill themselves at it if they can enjoy it as much while giving a half-hearted effort. I personally don't feel that way, but I get how others do. Just my 2 cents.
Thats pretty much how i play now. I still play at a high level, i just do it for fun now. Dont really care about being the Big Wheels on the team or winning or stats. Drives me nuts when dudes get their panties all twisted over beer league.

Actually, i mostly just play out of habit and to drink and talk with the boys after

I cant wait to hit 35 and get into oldtimers and leave the majority of this shizz behind.

Old
11-14-2009, 11:02 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I don't know, I don't think anyone chooses to suck. It's not enjoyable being the worst guy on the team unless there's hope of improving and hockey is too expensive a sport to just "dabble" in.

I've been on teams where players shout criticisms to the players on the ice and I've been on teams where nobody gives advice for fear of hurting someone's feelings. The best results came from one-on-one discussions and group practices. The more a player knows about what he's doing wrong the more he'll want to change it (or quit out of frustration). The quickest way to improve is through repetition with correct form (perfect practice makes perfect).

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Ryan52

im sorry, but you need to realize your playing one step above INSTRUCTIONAL. if you want to play on a team/league that plays a high calibre hockey, and want to win, move up. if your not good enough to move up, your just one of them
hate to be so harsh, but thats the way it is bud

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
RaoulDuke2k

I play on a team with quite a few guys in their 40's and in many cases they just simply don't have the wheels to do what they need to do. The spirit is willing but the body weak, ha ha.

On the other hand, I know guys that are slow and not great skaters, but think the game amazingly - always in the right place, read the play correctly every time, etc....

It can be frustrating, but it's the nature of rec league.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

Its beer league, its great to win and all but you're in it to have fun.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Beer league is a misnomer, because some "beer league" teams near me have semi pro or guys who aren't playing professionally only because they blew out a knee in the Q when they were 16.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Ragss

True, but those guys fill the ranks of the top divisions. In many cities, especially in Canada, the top divisions in any beer/rec league are shockingly talented. Even in ball hockey last summer the top division had guys from the W, A and NHL. So maybe they're technically still beer leaguers...but its a whole nother league from the other divisions.

In my experience, its okay to really want to win, and to go out there and really compete, and I think its important that all your teamates are giving some serious effort, but at the end of the day its about having fun, win or lose. Though, granted, there are certainly losses that aren't fun. So I guess my point here is that the OP sounds like someone who needs to move up a division and leave those who are just there for fun behind.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Beer league is a misnomer, because some "beer league" teams near me have semi pro or guys who aren't playing professionally only because they blew out a knee in the Q when they were 16.
... and then there are guys like me who don't drink.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Not really, it is still rec hockey. When you pay to play, its beer league.

Old
11-15-2009, 07:14 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
... and then there are guys like me who don't drink.
Now we know why you have so much time to work on your shot!!! Stupid beer. BOOZE IS THE DEVIL!

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Pierre Gotye

Last night I played with my old team(as a sub). We lost 6-0, but I had a ton of more fun. The defensive pairings were much stronger, and I got to get back to playing what I think is where I am best applied, as a defenseman.

The goalie seemed to like how I was playing for the most part...although it's not like I had a flawless game.

I guess sometimes what's old, is new again. This team doesn't have a bunch of people screaming and yelling at each other on the bench, and they don't have 2-4 people making poor decisions about who should play on what line with who. Either by their own ignorance or because they want to play on a 'scoring' line that gets chances offensively.

I think part of my problem on my current full-time team is my goalie doesn't like me playing defense. I don't know why, our forwards are way out of position and so are my defensive partners at times. It makes my job harder, not easier. On top of that her husband plays on our team also. He seems to be intent on living vicariously, telling people where to go, where they need to be, yet he does none of it himself. I am sure there are many 'I agree' statements with her and him after the game which only confounds things.

Not sure what to think at this point, if I have an indifference with a couple of players on my team. I really like about 3-4 people on my team, the rest aren't so bad. We talk chat, and joke regularly. But maybe 3 or 4 people are ruining my experience.

I suppose I could jump on their throats and throw it back in their face, which I think they need to hear. But the problem with that is, it might not solve anything and make the situation worse. Or I could do nothing and hope that it improves.

I know there is no 'I' in team, but at the same time I have paid $600 to play in this league, not including all the time I have invested in it. I don't really want my skills, or development of my skills to be hampered or regress because of 2-3 people wanting something their way. If we're losing because of their way, and my love for the game is shut-out, then why keep going on? I guess if it continues, then next season I shall have to look elsewhere.

On top of all this, I learned recently that one of our really key and good shut-down defenseman from two seasons ago really wanted to come back to our team. Our Captains and then Coach complained they did not have or could not find his contact information. Something tells me our coach and captain didn't try hard enough to re-acquire it. I really wonder if they asked Whip(the guy who manages the league) to see if he could dig up his contact information. Of course, Thursday night he played against us on his new team, and did exceptionally well.

I learned last night that he wanted to come back to the team, but didn't understand why he couldn't come back.

I guess our team leadership and decision making just sucks, and it kind of drags on me a bit.

Hopefully, this is just a passing spur of the moment thing.

Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 11-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.