HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok...enough...Burke time to own up.

Old
11-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Cmillz

vCash: 500
Ok...enough...Burke time to own up.

The team we have on the ice has no ability...time to make some changes, bring up the young ones, these guys have no jam.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:08 PM
bberard34

Agreed. If he thinks this is a playoff team like he stated prior to the season then it is HIS JOB to fix this. This team is unwatchable.

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney67 View Post
Agreed. If he thinks this is a playoff team like he stated prior to the season then it is HIS JOB to fix this. This team is unwatchable.
Can't say I'm surprised, there CLEARLY aren't enough threads on this already

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Raging Bull

"Stay the course"

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

But.. but.. Truculence?!

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Predaleafs

The thing Burke did wrong was get trucluence without scoring ablility. We need guys like Getzlaf and Perry. We dont have that

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:50 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue14 View Post
The thing Burke did wrong was get trucluence without scoring ablility. We need guys like Getzlaf and Perry. We dont have that
This team barely has any truculence at all. This team and their preseason version are like two totally different line-ups (I guess the lack of youth could account for that).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Snipeshow

We have Kessel..

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
We have Kessel..
and ?????????

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Burke should perform self-immolation.

It's the only honourable thing to do.

Sebastien Centomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
This team barely has any truculence at all. This team and their preseason version are like two totally different line-ups (I guess the lack of youth could account for that).
Pre season?? come on now, when they go to war against NHL,AHL,Echl and slugs how can anyone measure what a team or individuals do in the prees?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
and ?????????
And Gustavsson..

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:07 PM
LTL

Acquiring Gus and Kessel alone has made this past summer a success for Burke. Both are young "1st line" talent. Not to mention the others he's brought into the organization.

I do agree with having a bit of a shake up in the lineup. A couple of vets for another teams vets could do the trick. Staying the course usually involves having high draft picks and taking the time to develop them. We've almost built the young core for this team and it's time Burke starts surrounding that core with NHL level talent not marginal has beens.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
trickster

Stalberg needs to be recalled... for one - even though it may not address the problem (top line centre).

Blake looks impotent and Stajan/Mitchell are incapable of being big minute pivots.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:21 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Pre season?? come on now, when they go to war against NHL,AHL,Echl and slugs how can anyone measure what a team or individuals do in the prees?
I'm not referrimg to their record, Im referring to their style of play. Truculence was in abundance...they were making a name for themselves as a team that might not beat you on the scoreboard every game, but you'd leave the arena with plenty of bruises. Now they don't hit, they don't forecheck, and Schenn's fight was one of the few non-Orr (or Rosehill, when he was in the line-up) fights we've seen all season.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Why don't you go back to the Bruins board where you have been crushing the Leafs for some time now?
It's in the HF boards code of conduct to bash the Leafs, and praise the Bruins. You didnt' know this?

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

This team has become a joke on the ice. Its kessel with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.

Kessel can't score 2 every night, then where will the scoring come from?

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:30 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
This team has become a joke on the ice. Its kessel with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.

Kessel can't score 2 every night, then where will the scoring come from?
That's not the problem...now that we've learned this line-up works better rolling three lines instead of the top 6-bottom 6 approach, the goals haven't been the issue at all. Goaltending hasn't even been an issue the last 10 or so games. Right now the real issue is when will our defensemen stop turning the puck over and start playing defense?

Old
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
That's not the problem...now that we've learned this line-up works better rolling three lines instead of the top 6-bottom 6 approach, the goals haven't been the issue at all. Goaltending hasn't even been an issue the last 10 or so games. Right now the real issue is when will our defensemen stop turning the puck over and start playing defense?
Um...we can't play for the first 20 mins of a game, and we can't score. We play 2 periods of hockey. Our forwards have no truculence beyond the 4th line, and our centers are the worst on any team in the league. That's the issue, coaches should be reamed for the way this team ALWAYS gives up the first goal. That's coaching, 100%.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Acquiring Gus and Kessel alone has made this past summer a success for Burke. Both are young "1st line" talent. Not to mention the others he's brought into the organization.

I do agree with having a bit of a shake up in the lineup. A couple of vets for another teams vets could do the trick. Staying the course usually involves having high draft picks and taking the time to develop them. We've almost built the young core for this team and it's time Burke starts surrounding that core with NHL level talent not marginal has beens.
Wow, you are the easiest fan to please aren't you?

We'll we've got Kessel and Gus, so Burke's good in my eyes for the next 5 or so years!

How in the good hell has Gustavson proven hes a #1 starting goalie as of yet? Hes shown flashes of brilliance, but is a long way away from proving hes a capable #1 goalie.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
tzinc

it does not look good and no high picks

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Andrew Mack

There is really no logical reason whatsoever that argues against waiving Jason Blake. He is fast but has no other talents at all. Matt Stajan is also pretty much the most below-average player I have ever watched. He is terrible at nothing, but he is inadequate at everything.

I can't think of a single reason to not call up Stalberg and Bozak. Both guys can skate and contribute, so why not see what they can do? It isn't like anybody will claim Blake on re-entry so it is totally risk-free.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

Quote:
At this point, everything is a problem. Just saying, if leafs want to win they have to score more then 2 a night and it all can't be from Kessel, no matter how much talent he has.

Although I have to say that when that Kessel trade happen, I really didn't like Kessel. I thought he wasn't going to be good here in Toronto but he has really proven me wrong. He has been a beast so far and our most consistent forward threw out the season, even though he has only played 5 games.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Toronto Maple Burke

Burke's model of top six/bottom six is getting unbearable to watch. It might work for teams (like Ducks) who has top two lines. For a team like leafs, we need as much talent as possible in the lineup. We need to roll four lines and stop putting a 4th line which is nothing but liability on ice. I see Orr and Primeau as waste of roster space against teams like Chicago. Although the first goal today was a give-away by tired Schenn, it resulted from our 4th liners getting trapped and icing the puck. Last game, Orr took the dumbest penalty ever against the Wilds which ended up being a 5 on 3. THey play 5-6 minutes on average and still somehow cost us games. We need to bench these guys, put Stralberg, Bozak and Tlusty in the line-up providing some talent beside Kessel and just roll four lines. But this will never happen cause we need "Truculence".

Toronto Maple Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:36 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Maple Burke View Post
Burke's model of top six/bottom six is getting unbearable to watch. It might work for teams (like Ducks) who has top two lines. For a team like leafs, we need as much talent as possible in the lineup. We need to roll four lines and stop putting a 4th line which is nothing but liability on ice. I see Orr and Primeau as waste of roster space against teams like Chicago. Although the first goal today was a give-away by tired Schenn, it resulted from our 4th liners getting trapped and icing the puck. Last game, Orr took the dumbest penalty ever against the Wilds which ended up being a 5 on 3. THey play 5-6 minutes on average and still somehow cost us games. We need to bench these guys, put Stralberg, Bozak and Tlusty in the line-up providing some talent beside Kessel and just roll four lines. But this will never happen cause we need "Truculence".
We haven't really used the top 6 model yet. Stempniak, Stajan and Hagman don;t fit that bottom 6 role at all. Wallin seems to have eliminated any hope of our 3rd line scoring, but it's not the plumbers Burke spoke of.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote