HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok...enough...Burke time to own up.

Old
11-13-2009, 11:42 PM
dacoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Wow, you are the easiest fan to please aren't you?

We'll we've got Kessel and Gus, so Burke's good in my eyes for the next 5 or so years!

How in the good hell has Gustavson proven hes a #1 starting goalie as of yet? Hes shown flashes of brilliance, but is a long way away from proving hes a capable #1 goalie.
wow, you don't know a thing about LTL do you...

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:48 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Wow, you are the easiest fan to please aren't you?

We'll we've got Kessel and Gus, so Burke's good in my eyes for the next 5 or so years!

How in the good hell has Gustavson proven hes a #1 starting goalie as of yet? Hes shown flashes of brilliance, but is a long way away from proving hes a capable #1 goalie.
5 years no, one summer yes. Not making the playoffs (or coming close) this year weighs negatively on my Burke rating for 09/10.

In terms of rebuilding, so far I'm very pleased with the direction of the team (Gus, Kessel, Hanson, Bozak, Kadri, etc in one summer). The on ice product and the lack of moves to actually build a possible playoff team I'm not. Extremely disappointed.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Toronto Maple Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
We haven't really used the top 6 model yet. Stempniak, Stajan and Hagman don;t fit that bottom 6 role at all. Wallin seems to have eliminated any hope of our 3rd line scoring, but it's not the plumbers Burke spoke of.
And thank god we haven't completely used it. Last year we scored so many goals because we had players like Moore on our third line who ocationally scored for us. In our last game of the season our 4th liner Boyd Devereaux scored a hatrick. We didn't have a primary scoring line but our 3rd, 4th line compensated for it. This season due to Burke's model we had to add guys like Wallin, Primeau and Orr in the lineup which has clearly affected our secondary scoring. On top of that some of them are liability on ice. I am all for plumber type players on a playoff team but on a rebuilding team that just doesn't work.

Toronto Maple Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Maple Burke View Post
And thank god we haven't completely used it. Last year we scored so many goals because we had players like Moore on our third line who ocationally scored for us. In our last game of the season our 4th liner Boyd Devereaux scored a hatrick. We didn't have a primary scoring line but our 3rd, 4th line compensated for it. This season due to Burke's model we had to add guys like Wallin, Primeau and Orr in the lineup which has clearly affected our secondary scoring. On top of that some of them are liability on ice. I am all for plumber type players on a playoff team but on a rebuilding team that just doesn't work.
I believe Burke didn't actually anticipate being able to make that Kessel move later on that summer. Once it feel into his lap it was well past the due date to make a move for a legit centerman or at least someone capable.

It was a move Burkey had to make but having the Kessel move happen next summer would have been better for our future. You take what you can get I suppose.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Um...we can't play for the first 20 mins of a game, and we can't score. We play 2 periods of hockey. Our forwards have no truculence beyond the 4th line, and our centers are the worst on any team in the league. That's the issue, coaches should be reamed for the way this team ALWAYS gives up the first goal. That's coaching, 100%.
This. I can't think of a team worse down the middle than the Leafs.

Grabovski fits in nicely on the 2nd line. But that's it. We have a 2nd line center and three 3rd line centers.

Mitchell thinks he's a dangle-machine, trying to dance through entire teams. He's terrible.

Stajan is just too slow. He's always missing passes, fanning on pucks and just all around sucking the big hockey ****.

If anyone is wondering how Stajan got 55 points last season, look at tonight as prime example. He got 2 assists. Did he really do anything? No.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
tzinc

the problem is the bruins are doing a better job rebuilding and they will likely make the playoffs

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
the problem is the bruins are doing a better job rebuilding and they will likely make the playoffs
You mean as long as they resign Savard to be their 33 year old offensive leader.

Bruins are the third most inept offensive team in the NHL.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:33 AM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You mean as long as they resign Savard to be their 33 year old offensive leader.

Bruins are the third most inept offensive team in the NHL.
look at their draft picks - they dont need savard if they dont want him -they hold all the cards

Old
11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

this still really isn't Burke's team. he is working with a team from 2 other regimes. it's been said over and over, but patience will be needed.

this isn't the NFL where you can turn a team over quickly.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
and our centers are the worst on any team in the league. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
This. I can't think of a team worse down the middle than the Leafs.
Have to admit, this might be spot on. Not having the Moore/Blake combo and Antropov has really decimated this team up front. It's 100% Burkey's fault for not seeing the obvious.

If Kessel had not been available the situation would be much different. Potentially we could have had two star youngsters at the end of the season. I still would have made the deal BUT immediately afterwards a few other deals to strengthen the hockey club should have taken place.

Old
11-14-2009, 12:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
look at their draft picks - they dont need savard if they dont want him -they hold all the cards
They have the 3rd. most inept offense in the NHL. Unless they are special and have guarantees that their prospects will be successful they are not anywhere near good offensively.

Who are their high scoring prospects? Joe Colborne? Hamill? Lucic? Kessel ... whoops.

Just asking. Really, who do you think they have that are top end offensive players?

Old
11-14-2009, 01:06 AM
tzinc

hall or seguin will be the top scorer for the bruins for years to come

this is burke's team when he refused to trade a 1 and kaberle for kessel or even a 1 2 3 for kessel but gave up two 1s and a 2 for kessel that was his choice

kubina for exelby his choice

overpaying komi and beaucheman his choice

not drafting europeans his choice

believing truculence creates offense his choice

not signing camellari his choice

not signing moore his choice etc etc etc

this is burkes team

there were plenty of fa's he did or didnt sign and trades he did or didnt make to make this this team be where it is

if he didnt like the previous regime players he should have dumped them

i could go along with the rebuilding thing if if if he hadnt cost this team a two 1s and a 2 that eliminated the whole rebuilding excuse burke might have had now he's become so pathetic playing semantic games trying to say he never guaranteed the leafs would make the playoffs etc ridiculous

Old
11-14-2009, 01:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
hall or seguin will be the top scorer for the bruins for years to come
I don't see those names under the Bruins' prospects list.

I'm probably looking in the wrong area though.

I do agree with the rest of your post though.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:11 AM
tzinc

Quote:
I don't see those names under the Bruins' prospects list.

I'm probably looking in the wrong area though.

I do agree with the rest of your post though.
lol leaf fans hope they never see them on any bruins prospects list

Old
11-14-2009, 01:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
True, unfortunately, the Bruins aren't what you would call a good team and could very well pick one of those guys with their own picks.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:39 AM
robdicks

the main problem with this team is taking stupid penalties... ive heard a few ppl say the team isnt truculant enough???? NO MORE TRUCULENCE if i see orr take another stupid minor penalty im going to scream... the guy plays less than 10 min a night and STILL manages to spend 2 min in the box (by himself) seemingly every night... guys a joke.... its not 1970 anymore burkie we need some god damn scorers..i would much rather a 30 point bum on my 4th line then some guy that only hurts the team

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Snipeshow

Quote:
You really think the Leafs will finish bottom 2? No chance, they won't even touch bottom 5. We finished 7th last the past 2 years, and we're not worse than those teams.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:47 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
the main problem with this team is taking stupid penalties... ive heard a few ppl say the team isnt truculant enough???? NO MORE TRUCULENCE if i see orr take another stupid minor penalty im going to scream... the guy plays less than 10 min a night and STILL manages to spend 2 min in the box (by himself) seemingly every night... guys a joke.... its not 1970 anymore burkie we need some god damn scorers..i would much rather a 30 point bum on my 4th line then some guy that only hurts the team
Top 5 Leafs leaders in minor penalties
1 Mike Komisarek 12
2 Alexei Ponikarovsky 10
3 Matt Stajan 7
4 Colton Orr 7
5 Luke Schenn 6

Two of those five players shouldn't be there and IMO Orr isn't one of them.

Old
11-14-2009, 01:47 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I ridiculous to even consider Hall. this team will not finish bottom 5 and even if they do, Hall will only come to Boston through the luck of lottery pick.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 01:49 AM
tzinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
You really think the Leafs will finish bottom 2? No chance, they won't even touch bottom 5. We finished 7th last the past 2 years, and we're not worse than those teams.
i think leafs will finish 1 2 3 maybe 4 no higher

who are they better then other than CAR right now and they have key injuries

there at least 4 solid top 4 picks in this draft

BOS cant lose if they suck their own pick gets higher

they just might get seguin and hall lol

we'll see by the end of the season by then it wont be hypothetical

Old
11-14-2009, 01:53 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Top 5 Leafs leaders in minor penalties
1 Mike Komisarek 12
2 Alexei Ponikarovsky 10
3 Matt Stajan 7
4 Colton Orr 7
5 Luke Schenn 6

Two of those five players shouldn't be there and IMO Orr isn't one of them.
well i dont want ANYBODY taking minor penalties, but its going to happen... so if it is going to happen let it happen to the guys taht are on the ice the most.... mistakes are made, but minor penalties arent intimidation penalties... the only message they send is that if you piss me off enough you will have a powerplay

edit: thanks for digging up those stats tho...

1 Mike Komisarek 12 once every 26 min
2 Alexei Ponikarovsky 10 once every 27 min
3 Matt Stajan 7 once every 40 min
4 Colton Orr 7 once every 15 min
5 Luke Schenn 6 once every 43 min

considering the other things that these players contribute colton orr is a joke.....

what i did was divide the total time on ice this season by the minor penalties... and before people say "colton orr is supposed to have high pim totals thats what we got him for" let me remind you that taking a minor penalty puts ur team on the pk... when ur team isnt great at killing penalties to begin with... this isnt good

Last edited by robdicks: 11-14-2009 at 02:05 AM.
robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:30 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
They have the 3rd. most inept offense in the NHL. Unless they are special and have guarantees that their prospects will be successful they are not anywhere near good offensively.

Who are their high scoring prospects? Joe Colborne? Hamill? Lucic? Kessel ... whoops.

Just asking. Really, who do you think they have that are top end offensive players?
Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Savard, Ryder, Wheeler, Colbourne, and potentially a top 5 pick in this years entry draft.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:33 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
True, unfortunately, the Bruins aren't what you would call a good team and could very well pick one of those guys with their own picks.
They are only one year removed from winning the East. I think it's unfair to label them a mediocre or bad team after losing 2/3 of there top line to injury, there are very few teams in this league that could sustain that type of loss.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 02:37 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
well i dont want ANYBODY taking minor penalties, but its going to happen... so if it is going to happen let it happen to the guys taht are on the ice the most.... mistakes are made, but minor penalties arent intimidation penalties... the only message they send is that if you piss me off enough you will have a powerplay

edit: thanks for digging up those stats tho...

1 Mike Komisarek 12 once every 26 min
2 Alexei Ponikarovsky 10 once every 27 min
3 Matt Stajan 7 once every 40 min
4 Colton Orr 7 once every 15 min
5 Luke Schenn 6 once every 43 min

considering the other things that these players contribute colton orr is a joke.....

what i did was divide the total time on ice this season by the minor penalties... and before people say "colton orr is supposed to have high pim totals thats what we got him for" let me remind you that taking a minor penalty puts ur team on the pk... when ur team isnt great at killing penalties to begin with... this isnt good
While I agree on the others contributions vs Orrs fight only resume, players who play an aggressive game are likely to slip up a few times here and there. While Pony and Stajan aren't that type of player. Quite a few times over the years Pony has been known to take poor penalties especially ones using his stick to hold up a player or as a sling shot to catch up. I'm actually surprised to see Stajan there.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:04 AM
Hockey Talker29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I don't know how you could say that this year's team is better than last year.

What, exactly, is better?

The goaltending is slightly better so far. The defense is actually significantly worse. And the offense is also significantly worse.

This team is sorely missing Antropov and Kubina.

I hope we can get out of the bottom-10, but realistically, we're probably bottom-3. Bottom-5 at best.

Hockey Talker29 is online now   Reply With Quote