HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ok...enough...Burke time to own up.

Old
11-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Poggemon Destiny*

vCash: 500
uhm..he is making changes..but you can't make winners that quick it takes time...I think it's clear that with the likes of Kessel, Gus, Komi, etc. that we're getting there...have patience or you are always welcome to cheer for another team...

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:23 AM
noobman

It takes time to strip away the pieces and retool a hockey club to your liking. In as much as Burke may want to build a hard checking physical team, the fact of the matter is that the current Leafs roster is comprised of very small forwards. Their bigger guys are all 4th liners who play very few minutes.

With the exception of Ponikarovsky, they don't have a large forward that can play in the top six, or even the top nine. I don't think any of the players on our top three lines are very physical. The real size and strength that this team possesses is on the blue line.

Next year is the year that Burke can really build his team. Stempniak, Ponikarovsky, Primeau, Mayers, Van Ryn, Exelby, and Toskala will all be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year.

You can be sure that Stempniak, Mayers, Van Ryn, Toskala, and Ponikarvosky won't be back. This will free up roster room for our younger players (Stalberg and the college hockey guys), and cap room for a free agent acquisition (Marc Savard? Patrick Marleau?)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Cmillz

Quote:
not signing camellari his choice

not signing moore his choice etc etc etc
Nope, those players were made offers and they decided not to come here. Please prior to a rant, it is imperative that you get your facts straight Ottawa fan.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 06:57 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
I didn't read this whole thread but I read enough of it to realize, no matter who the GM is, there will never be enough patience by some members of this fanbase to ever stay the course of building a team. After every loss there is someone questioning what has been done so far. Burke has only had a year and most of moves have been preliminary, building a foundation with which to build on top of.
Here on HF though, a year is a lifetime.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:14 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I didn't read this whole thread but I read enough of it to realize, no matter who the GM is, there will never be enough patience by some members of this fanbase to ever stay the course of building a team. After every loss there is someone questioning what has been done so far. Burke has only had a year and most of moves have been preliminary, building a foundation with which to build on top of.
Here on HF though, a year is a lifetime.
BB has to get a #1 center.

That's the only thing that is lacking.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Am I the only one who sees Bozak as probably being the best available centre to play with Kessel? He's known for his playmaking and vision. That's what Kessel needs right now.

All our other centres are average playmakers at best, and that's being generous.

If it's a cap issue, fix it I don't care. Bozak could be the answer, or at least a decent stop gap.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:30 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaiming93 View Post
Am I the only one who sees Bozak as probably being the best available centre to play with Kessel? He's known for his playmaking and vision. That's what Kessel needs right now.

All our other centres are average playmakers at best, and that's being generous.

If it's a cap issue, fix it I don't care. Bozak could be the answer, or at least a decent stop gap.
No. Been on the Bozak Kessel bandwagon since the trade.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
No. Been on the Bozak Kessel bandwagon since the trade.
Bozak has a huge cap hit. And he hasn't been tearing it up in the minors, and I believe has been/was quite ill.

In saying that, I could see BB making a move to give him a shot if he picks it up in the minors and regains his strength/form (assuming he lost some conditioning while sick).

I don't think BB will panic like Floyd did, but he still won't want the stigma that would carry.

Old
11-14-2009, 09:39 AM
bleeney

Quote:
Top 5 Leafs leaders in minor penalties
1 Mike Komisarek 12
2 Alexei Ponikarovsky 10
3 Matt Stajan 7
4 Colton Orr 7
5 Luke Schenn 6

Two of those five players shouldn't be there and IMO Orr isn't one of them.
Ahh, the truculent Matt Stajan. The man who strikes fear in the hearts of every defenseman in the league.

They probably wet themselves when they see him bearing down on the forcheck

And BTW, what on earth was Wilson thinking when he had Stajan take the faceoff in the Hawk zone during the dying seconds last night? Why the hell weren't Grabovski and Primeau out there instead of that useless wimp?

Of course, Stajan lost the draw.........

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:44 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
Ahh, the truculent Matt Stajan. The man who strikes fear in the hearts of every defenseman in the league.

They probably wet themselves when they see him bearing down on the forcheck

And BTW, what on earth was Wilson thinking when he had Stajan take the faceoff in the Hawk zone during the dying seconds last night? Why the hell weren't Grabovski and Primeau out there instead of that useless wimp?

Of course, Stajan lost the draw.........
Stajan won 4 key face-offs late in the previous game and he leads the team in face-off percentage. So he was probably thinking logically, like using his best face-off man is the right thing to do. He also won a face-off on the Schenn give-away. Mitchell is the only other guy I'd have used on that face-off, because he was having a good night in the circle, but Stajan's the teams best in that regard.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:53 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
I just don't want to see Burke re-signing any of Stempniak, Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Toskala, Primeau, MAyers, and Exelby. Ian White is a good player, a good #4 defenseman, but if Burke is able to trade him, along with a guy like Tlusty, and get himself an established top 6 forward/top 4 defenseman, then I would be all for that (a guy like Nathan Horton perhaps).

We really need a new core, based around Kessel, Kadri, Schenn, Gustavsson. Bozak, Stalberg, Komisarek are a good set of compliments to this core, so we are going in the right direction in that regard.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
bleeney

The team we ice next year will bear little resemblance to this year's squad, at least up front.

Burke will do everything possible to move the likes of Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Toskala, Exelby, Hagman etc. at the trade deadline. Hopefully we'll see the last of Jason Blake too.

And he will be very active on the UFA front. Some of the guys he will likely target:

Kovalchuk (if he doesn't re-up with the Thrashers)
Savard or Marleau
Colby Armstrong
Rene Bourque
Adam Burish
Steve Ott (a premier agitator/disturber)
Ben Eager (a big, fast, Toronto-area kid who was very effective in the playoffs last year)
Ryan Johnson (great on face-offs, great PK, and as a bonus, BB could stick it to the Canucks)

Along with the addition of Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, Kadri.... this will be a much different team. Bigger, faster, tougher, more talented.

Be optimistic.

Old
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I just don't want to see Burke re-signing any of Stempniak, Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Toskala, Primeau, MAyers, and Exelby. Ian White is a good player, a good #4 defenseman, but if Burke is able to trade him, along with a guy like Tlusty, and get himself an established top 6 forward/top 4 defenseman, then I would be all for that (a guy like Nathan Horton perhaps).

We really need a new core, based around Kessel, Kadri, Schenn, Gustavsson. Bozak, Stalberg, Komisarek are a good set of compliments to this core, so we are going in the right direction in that regard.
So you are patient enough to wait until the summer and write-off this season?

I'd re-sign Ponikarovsky. He's a cheap 20+ goal scorer, who is good defensively, and can play on any top 3 lines. Ideally you don't need him on the top line, but he can play there in a pinch.

I agree none of the others would be missed if they land any #1 centerman.

Old
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
leafs123

had it not been for the 0-7 start, this team would be a middle of the pack team given they have played around .500 or so since

leafs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So you are patient enough to wait until the summer and write-off this season?

I'd re-sign Ponikarovsky. He's a cheap 20+ goal scorer, who is good defensively, and can play on any top 3 lines. Ideally you don't need him on the top line, but he can play there in a pinch.

I agree none of the others would be missed if they land any #1 centerman.
I feel Ponikarovsky is going to command more than he is worth, but we will see. If this is the case, I don't want Burke to re-sign Poni, players like him can be easily found somewhere else (UFA signings).

It's pretty noticeable that this core doen't have what it takes though. We play too much of a perimeter game in the offensive end, and, outside of Kessel, we seriously lack finishing ability. Maybe this group still need more time to find chemistry. Another thing is that I wish Kulemin finds his scoring game, he has the talent to be a top 6 forward right now and can really boost our chances of winning games.

Burke should've just rebuilt, nonetheless Kessel is an elite young talent - a guy we all probably wished we can drafted with a top 3 pick in any draft.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
The team we ice next year will bear little resemblance to this year's squad, at least up front.

Burke will do everything possible to move the likes of Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Toskala, Exelby, Hagman etc. at the trade deadline. Hopefully we'll see the last of Jason Blake too.
Agreed. This offseason was mostly working on the D and goaltending, next year the forward corps.

It's a work in progress, but we're scared cause we have no 1st rounders for two years and thus there's no immediate reward for sucking.

However looking at the way Kessel's been producing, perhaps that's reward enough?

Old
11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

You know, Stempniak has stone hands, but the way he's been hitting out there I wonder if he could be a good 3rd liner. Re-define his role and you may find yourself liking him.

I don't believe he's been prone to major defensive gaffes either, has he?

Old
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
bleeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Stajan won 4 key face-offs late in the previous game and he leads the team in face-off percentage. So he was probably thinking logically, like using his best face-off man is the right thing to do. He also won a face-off on the Schenn give-away. Mitchell is the only other guy I'd have used on that face-off, because he was having a good night in the circle, but Stajan's the teams best in that regard.
One) Stajan is nowhere near as good on the road as he is at home, when he has the advantage

Two) Grabovski has really picked up his face-off work over the last few weeks, particularly in the offensive zone and in PP situations (25/15 vs. Stajan's 28/29)

Three) Stajan is a wimp! After the draw, we need guys who will fight for the puck, play in traffic, battle for position. Guys who are fearless. Despite his size, Grabovski is more than willing to take his lumps. Stajan, although 2 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier than Grabs, is the softest player on the team.

The sooner they move him outa' here, the better.

Old
11-14-2009, 10:28 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post

How in the good hell has Gustavson proven hes a #1 starting goalie as of yet? Hes shown flashes of brilliance, but is a long way away from proving hes a capable #1 goalie.
If you actually watch him play it's quite easy to tell.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ian White is a good player, a good #4 defenseman, but if Burke is able to trade him, along with a guy like Tlusty, and get himself an established top 6 forward/top 4 defenseman, then I would be all for that (a guy like Nathan Horton perhaps)..
Leasty, you were Tlusty's biggest fan when we drafted him, thinking he was that blue chip prospect and you had pretty high hopes for him, comparing him to the likes of Pavel Datsyuk etc.

So its interesting to see you now tossing him into a deal to get that TOP 6 forward like Horton, when it was believed Tlusty would the eventual become that player himself.

I'm curious what has changed your position on Tlusty ?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
hall or seguin will be the top scorer for the bruins for years to come

this is burke's team when he refused to trade a 1 and kaberle for kessel or even a 1 2 3 for kessel but gave up two 1s and a 2 for kessel that was his choice

kubina for exelby his choice

overpaying komi and beaucheman his choice

not drafting europeans his choice

believing truculence creates offense his choice

not signing camellari his choice

not signing moore his choice etc etc etc

this is burkes team

there were plenty of fa's he did or didnt sign and trades he did or didnt make to make this this team be where it is

if he didnt like the previous regime players he should have dumped them

i could go along with the rebuilding thing if if if he hadnt cost this team a two 1s and a 2 that eliminated the whole rebuilding excuse burke might have had now he's become so pathetic playing semantic games trying to say he never guaranteed the leafs would make the playoffs etc ridiculous
I agree with this post 100%.

The Leafs are once again a ONE TRICK PONY. We now have Kessel in the place of Sundin and no other star 1st line players. And, I think it's too early to say that the monster is a number one goalie.

The Leafs also don't have their 1st and 2nd round picks in 2010 and their 1st round pick in 2011. This is now the rebuild that never was or could have been!!!

The college kids and the monster will probably only make the Leafs a mediocre team in the future. The Leafs are probably right back where they were before the lockout!!!

Too bad!!!

Last edited by Al14: 11-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
If you actually watch him play it's quite easy to tell.
The monster hasn't played enough games to establish if he is the real deal. He could be just a flash in the pan like Raycroft was when he had the one good year in Boston.

Too early to declare the monster a viable number one starter in the NHL!

Old
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I don't agree with trading White. He's one of the only + players on the team. He's got a huge shot from the point and he's solid defensively. I'd keep him around. Same goes for Ponikarovsky. He's one of the few guys on the team that can shoot the puck. He's a big guy and he's very good defensively. Both are underrated in my opinion.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:01 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Acquiring Gus and Kessel alone has made this past summer a success for Burke.
I agree. Two young stars the team can build around. He got Gustavsson for nothing too.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Al14

Quote:

And he will be very active on the UFA front. Some of the guys he will likely target:

Kovalchuk (if he doesn't re-up with the Thrashers)
Savard or Marleau
Colby Armstrong
Rene Bourque
Adam Burish
Steve Ott (a premier agitator/disturber)
Ben Eager (a big, fast, Toronto-area kid who was very effective in the playoffs last year)
Ryan Johnson (great on face-offs, great PK, and as a bonus, BB could stick it to the Canucks)

Along with the addition of Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, Kadri.... this will be a much different team. Bigger, faster, tougher, more talented.

Be optimistic.
Been optimistic at the start of the season every year for 42 years. Let down after let down except for the years we eliminated the Sens in the playoffs!!!