HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/13/09 - Leafs @ Chicago - 3-2 LOSS

Old
11-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
I would like to see the young guys up soon. At least losing might not hurt so bad. Watching Stajan is really doing harm to my eyes.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Cmillz

vCash: 500
I want people to see that this pattern of ALWAYS giving up the first goal, playing so poorly in the first is the COACHES fault. They are getting a free pass in the media for some reason.

Stajan needs to goto AHL and learn to skate.

I want the frat line up, those kids at least had heart. Sadly our team looks like guys that don't like each other.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
How did he masterfully set the first one up?

Even better; how many primary assists does Stajan have in his career compared to secondary? I'd love to see that stat.
he kept the play alive on the first one, without him diving to knock the puck to Kaberle, there's no first goal.

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoach View Post
ya diving at center to knock the puck away from a Blackhawk to Kaberle who then passes to Kessel.. total phantom assist.....
So he passed to the guy at center, who then passed it Kessel, who then held the puck for 5 seconds, moved around, then unleashed a laser beam. Yep, that's a phantom assist.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
This is the question we ask here every night before the game. For some reason we refuse to put our most skilled and best faceoff taking centerman with our best forward. Grabovski's line isn't exactly lighting the lamp right now.
No, Grabo's line was playing well for the last few games. They've cooled down now, so maybe we'll see them split up now.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
dacoach

a phantom assist is two defensemen passing the puck back and forth then pushing it up to another guy. Keeping a play alive that then results in a goal is not a phantom assist.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:44 PM
iceblue

Quote:
he kept the play alive on the first one, without him diving to knock the puck to Kaberle, there's no first goal.
Absolutely. Decent play by Stajan. Does not deserve all the hate tonight.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:45 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
Absolutely. Decent play by Stajan. Does not deserve all the hate tonight.
people need their whipping boy, Toskala played to well tonight to be it.

Old
TheTotalPackage

Kessel is the man.
Toskala was solid tonight. Nice to see.
Schenn's giveaway was brutal as was Kulemin's deflection.
Contracts aside, Blake and Finger are playing quite well.
Stempniak works hard but is weak.
Stajan is just weak.
Mitchell just flat-out stinks. What the heck's Wilson thinking?!

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafygoods
Defending Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar View Post
I just registered to say I have a huge mancrush on Phil Kessel.
It's A TRAP!...

anyways.. i Agree, Phil is the best goalscorer we've had in a real long time. Sundin like to snipe those slapshots top corner coming down the left side, but i don't think we have had anyone who can get a shot off that quickly, that accuratly, and snipe like that since ALMO, and i think Phil will only get better. Pretty pumped to have him, definetly someone we can build this team around for a long time!

leafygoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
people need their whipping boy, Toskala played to well tonight to be it.
No, but people need to stop crediting Stajan for Kessel's success. I love the "see what happens as soon as Stajan was back on that line?" It's a mirage.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
Kessel is the man.
Toskala was solid tonight. Nice to see.
Schenn's giveaway was brutal as was Kulemin's deflection.
Contracts aside, Blake and Finger are playing quite well.
Stempniak works hard but is weak.
Stajan is just weak.
Mitchell just flat-out stinks. What the heck's Wilson thinking?!
Finger is playing quite well.

Old
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Liminality

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but I think Kule did a good job on the forecheck, maybe he could be a decent winger that could create more space for kessel. Kule - Grabo - Kessel?

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 10:54 PM
LeafSadist

vCash: 729
Jeff Finger, even as a #6 defenseman needs to be in the lineup, over Exelby anyways. Sure he'll have his stinkers and channel the ghosts of bad defensemen past, but he is decent.

LeafSadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:05 PM
TheProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
No, but people need to stop crediting Stajan for Kessel's success. I love the "see what happens as soon as Stajan was back on that line?" It's a mirage.
The stats don't lie. Blake - Stajan - Kessel yielded 19 shots from Kessel alone in the first game. It was because of the co-ordination between Blake & Stajan to get the puck to Kessel in good position.

On a different topic: Phil ****ing Kessel. Yeah.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
How do you think Savard got all those assists? Passing to Kovalchuk?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:20 PM
gaborikowns

Orr with another absolutely bonehead penalty. Can't believe he got another shift after taking such a dumb penalty. If your gonna go after somebody at lease make sure you take him with you to the box. This cannot be what Burke had in mind when he talked about this team being tough and hard to play against, Schenn fighting is a joke. If your 4th line isn't going to fight then what is the point? Rosehill should be in the line-up.

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
gaborikowns

Quote:
Finger is playing quite well.
Agreed, looked sharp tonight.

Anyone else concerned about somebody getting Phil the puck even strength? Aside from PP he has been creating all of his own chances. Not saying that is a bad thing but in the long run it would be nice to have some consistent help for him.

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:25 PM
wandering goat

Leafs stunk up most of the first two periods, but Toskala really bailed them out - great game for him, I hope it gives him some much needed confidence and he can keep that focus going forward. They did come alive big time in the third though. Even if I think Kessel still needs better line mates, Stajan's a definite improvement over Mitchell (honestly, why is Stajan on the fourth line?) and Kessel had some nice sniping going on there, doing it all himself, basically.

The no-goal call was IMO the right one, though I think most of us can agree that it most likely crossed the line. There just wasn't definitive video evidence of it being over the line, though some angles suggested it might be. I wonder what camera Ron Wilson was mentioning in his post-game interview (he said there was one that may not have been shown on TV that was conclusive).

Either way, considering I didn't expect them to win this, in the end there was some good out of it. Hopefully Stajan's back to centering Kessel, unless they try someone else out, and I hope Toskala can keep up the play from this game. I hope they see what they're capable of when they really go after it (the 3rd vs. the first 2 periods) and bring that kind of game tomorrow against Calgary.

[edit]
Quote:
True that Kessel created the chances that lead to his goals himself tonight, but I noticed a big difference in the ability to maintain pressure in the offensive zone with Stajan vs. Mitchell. That's something the line's had a lot of trouble with under Mitchell - getting into the offensive zone and maintaining pressure there. That's also something that I think people ignore when saying Grabovski wouldn't be a good fit with Kessel because he hogs the puck (which I think is total ********, but whatever) - it doesn't matter if your team mate likes to pass the puck more than hold onto it if you're hardly ever even in the opponent's zone.

Last edited by wandering goat: 11-13-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Reply in favour of Stajan
wandering goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:28 PM
EbonyRaptor

Toskala played a heckuva lot better tonight than his stats look. He can't be blamed for any of the three goals - 2 deflections and a takeaway point blank top shelf beauty that would have been a highlight save if he made it. Huet played pretty well too, so between the two used up tender bums - they looked pretty good.

Kessel = skill.
Kane = skill.

Only question is who will center for them on the USA team?

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Wendel17

No need to call up the kids and subject them to the losing we are seeing here. Let them stay in the AHL and enjoy a successful and educational season with the Marlies. Next year, I'm sure we'll have turned over some more of the roster with Stemps, Stajan, and Poni all restricted free agents. They'll all most likely be gone by the deadline for picks. I have a feeling Blake is going to get bought out in the off season as well. I know some posters here love the guy, and think Ron Wilson loves him too, but I just don't see it.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:46 PM
mapes

Wana know what's funny? Kessel has 4 goals in his last 5 games, more than the entire Bruins roster over that span

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2009, 11:56 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Haha.. i was just looking at the box score and saw that Stajan got 2 assists... I hope that doesn't cloud Wilson's judgement although i'm pretty sure it will
Did you see the goals he assisted on? He passed both off to Kessel before even making it past the blue-line. Kessel did all the work. His 2 assists are nothing but padding the stats, he clearly belongs on the bottom 2 lines.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:00 AM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Toskala played a heckuva lot better tonight than his stats look. He can't be blamed for any of the three goals - 2 deflections and a takeaway point blank top shelf beauty that would have been a highlight save if he made it. Huet played pretty well too, so between the two used up tender bums - they looked pretty good.

Kessel = skill.
Kane = skill.

Only question is who will center for them on the USA team?
Kane-Kesler-Kessel

BTW, Wilson said in his post game that Gunnarsson is definitely in for tomorrow's game.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 12:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Did you see the goals he assisted on? He passed both off to Kessel before even making it past the blue-line. Kessel did all the work. His 2 assists are nothing but padding the stats, he clearly belongs on the bottom 2 lines.
Again, isn't that the entire argument about Kessel needing Savard?

So if Stajan played the entire year with Savard would he have more than the 40 assists he had last season? Could he get 63 assists if he was Kessel's main set up man?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote